Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ACC should be ashamed to back NAACP boycott
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 56
| visibility 2,035

Mar 30, 2010, 4:10 PM

by S.C. Sen. Glenn F. McConnell

The Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) recently announced a decision to move its 2011-13 baseball championships from Myrtle Beach to North Carolina. The reason? They say the Confederate flag flying on South Carolina’s Statehouse grounds violates their commitment to “diversity, equality and human rights.”

The truth is the ACC folded to pressure from the NAACP, whose economic boycott of South Carolina has thus far been ignored by all fair-minded people. This decision by the ACC is an insult to South Carolinians of all races, creeds and genders. It is unwise, unfair and clearly based on intolerance and ignorance.

Officials at the ACC must not be aware that North Carolina flies a Confederate flag on its dome to commemorate historically significant dates. Other Southern states do even more to celebrate Southern heritage. Mississippi actually has the Confederate battle flag designed into its State flag. Georgia has the national flag of the Confederacy in its State flag. And Alabama flies Confederate flags (including the battle flag) at its Statehouse alongside a Confederate Memorial that is much larger and more prominent than South Carolina’s display.

And yet the NAACP has shamelessly chosen to single out South Carolina for an economic boycott over the issue of the Confederate flag, regardless of the inconsistency and the irrationality of their position. Why? Let me explain.

For decades, dating back to the middle of the last century, the Confederate battle flag flew atop the dome at the South Carolina Statehouse as well as from the podiums of the legislative chambers and in the foyer of the Statehouse. And for years, a heated debate waged over what the Confederate battle flag symbolized.

On one side, supporters of the flag argued that it was a positive symbol of heritage, honoring the sacrifice of those who fought and died in the War Between the States. Others insisted the Confederate flag was a negative symbol of slavery used by hate groups to support racism and should not be flown in a position of sovereignty on top of the Statehouse.

After considerable debate and dialogue, there was a gradual realization by reasonable folks on both sides that the matter should be resolved on the basis of mutual respect. At long last, a compromise was achieved that united people of goodwill.

Ultimately, the compromise had several parts. The Confederate battle flag was removed from the Statehouse dome, the legislative chambers, and the Statehouse foyer and flown, instead, beside the Confederate soldier’s monument, where its military meaning was made clear. At the same time, Confederate and civil rights monuments and street names were protected from change without a two-thirds vote of the General Assembly.

This almost poetic compromise satisfied all but the fringe elements on both sides, which includes the NAACP. In an effort to continue stirring the flames of controversy, the NAACP threatened to enforce an economic boycott against South Carolina unless the Confederate flag was banned altogether from the Statehouse grounds.

Fortunately, leaders of both races and from both political parties were not intimidated by the NAACP’s demands. They did not abandon their determination to resolve the issue with a spirit of reconciliation and to move forward in a way that celebrates our State’s diverse heritage. The compromise was passed by the General Assembly and became law.

Previously, the Statehouse grounds, which is as an outdoor museum, was further broadened to speak to all of our history when South Carolina erected an African-American monument, honoring those who struggled for decades in the cause of civil rights. Today, South Carolina’s Statehouse grounds offer visitors a grand celebration of the valor of her people, spanning the American Revolution, the War Between the States and the Civil Rights Movement, completing the circle of history.

In the years that followed, no one was surprised to see the NAACP continue to push their economic boycott. The fringes of an issue seldom compromise. They thrive on controversy. Their continued existence is ensured by division. Fortunately, until now, they have been largely ignored. That’s why the decision by the ACC to “honor” the NAACP’s economic boycott of South Carolina is so unfair and unwise.

Far from upholding “diversity and equality,” siding with the NAACP on this issue is a victory for intolerance. It also brings economic harm to honorable, hardworking, decent people of all races in the false name of political correctness.

The good people of South Carolina deserve better treatment. And the officials of the ACC, an athletic league that should be in the business of promoting good sportsmanship, would do well to ask themselves a fundamental question: is their decision an example of fair play?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

NAACP is the most racist organization on the planet***

Mar 30, 2010, 4:13 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NAACP is the most racist organization on the planet***

Mar 30, 2010, 4:24 PM

yep...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NAACP is the most racist organization on the planet***

Mar 30, 2010, 4:27 PM [ in reply to NAACP is the most racist organization on the planet*** ]

Buy them Nikes and drink that Coors! They need the money!

^^^Thinks Ku Klux Kan is misunderstood^^^***

Mar 30, 2010, 4:27 PM [ in reply to NAACP is the most racist organization on the planet*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please

Mar 30, 2010, 4:27 PM

"For decades, dating back to the middle of the last century, the Confederate battle flag flew atop the dome at the South Carolina Statehouse as well as from the podiums of the legislative chambers and in the foyer of the Statehouse."

That's right Glenn. The middle of the last century. The 20th Century. Ever since the Civil Rights movement. Remind me, why did South Carolina choose to hoist the confederate flag during the Civil Rights movement?? Because I can't figure out why that would be...

null

It was put up to commerate the 100th anniversary of the

Mar 30, 2010, 4:48 PM

Civil War. It obviously stayed up way too long but the original purpose was to remember the centennial of the war.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Re: It was put up to commerate the 100th anniversary of the

Mar 30, 2010, 5:20 PM

Governor Hollings put it up there

I don't care either way, never really have, but

Mar 31, 2010, 8:54 AM [ in reply to It was put up to commerate the 100th anniversary of the ]

make no mistake as to why it was put up at that time. They just happened to find a reason to put on paper. Then conveniently forgot to take it down for 50 years.

I also agree with the statement about the NAACP.

And I'm so sick of this dead horse.. Get rid of the #### thing.. It's beginning to affect my ability to watch cool sports locally. lol

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

Because a bunch of democrats decided to hoist it?***

Mar 30, 2010, 10:58 PM [ in reply to Please ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes the democrats, the party of Jim Crow, hoisted the flag*****

Mar 31, 2010, 9:19 AM

Orange Googlers Unite

Swoffie using race issue to keep ACC money pouring into NC.***

Mar 30, 2010, 4:38 PM

$$ from ACC BB,FB,Baseball Championships all going to NC.***

Mar 30, 2010, 4:43 PM

Tar Heels? Woffies? Deacons? Devils? Which race?***

Mar 30, 2010, 4:46 PM [ in reply to Swoffie using race issue to keep ACC money pouring into NC.*** ]

null

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so true

Mar 30, 2010, 6:10 PM [ in reply to Swoffie using race issue to keep ACC money pouring into NC.*** ]

the man is a weasel

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If Swofford would simply put in writing that the ACC will

Mar 30, 2010, 4:45 PM

support a boycott of the state of NC if a similar request is made by the NAACP (as this letter implies could easily happen), then I will acknowledge that the ACC has an ounce of integrity. Of course, we all know they'll never do that, and even if they made such a statement, would never follow through with it.

I don't think that flag should be where it is, but for the ACC to single out the home state of a single member institution is just pathetic.

null

Clemson should secede from the ACC, join the SEC or ANY

Mar 30, 2010, 4:46 PM

other conference.

null

the SEC honors the ban too******

Mar 30, 2010, 4:52 PM

Orange Googlers Unite

Thank you!!!!!

Mar 30, 2010, 8:49 PM

We pick some pretty dumb battles to fight.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wait til they start calling our recruits

Mar 30, 2010, 4:46 PM

All its going to take is one blue chip changing their mind, and that flag will be a floor mat in the bathroom of Maurice's Discoteque & Lounge.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep. All these big dogs wanting to fight this fight will

Mar 30, 2010, 8:51 PM

fold like a taco the first time it costs them anything, like the next Dantzler going to UGA.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ACC should be ashamed to back NAACP boycott

Mar 30, 2010, 4:47 PM

Maybe white people should boycott all businesses that support NAACP. I wonder if there are any I would use anyway? When are we gonna get tired of this whining all the time. People that get offended over such petty BS are just weak people in my eyes. They should also be stripped of their non-profit status for publicly backing political candidates.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 30, 2010, 5:06 PM

Maybe sensible people should ignore all posts by people that get their panties in a wad about this. I wonder if there are any of these posts worth reading anyway? When are we gonna get tired of this whining all the time. People that get offended over such petty BS are just weak people in my eyes. They should also be stripped of their posting rights status for revealing themselves as the pansies they are.

Get it right....

Mar 30, 2010, 4:47 PM

If you don't know, maybe you need to be reminded...

It's called the War of Northern Aggression.

Hope this clears things up.

TigerMike

Re: Get it right....

Mar 30, 2010, 6:37 PM

I prefer "Glorious Revolution of Southern Secession."

Re: Get it right....

Mar 30, 2010, 10:23 PM

I prefer "The Late Unpleasantness".

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Confederacy Fired the First Shot...

Mar 30, 2010, 10:11 PM [ in reply to Get it right.... ]

Do you also think that Saddam Hussein's Baath Party was the aggressor in the current war in Iraq?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Fort_Sumter

^^^Still angry over second place finish in the war.

Mar 31, 2010, 8:56 AM [ in reply to Get it right.... ]

You lost.

And obviously hate America.

badge-ringofhonor-elscorcho.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the flag.

Mar 30, 2010, 5:01 PM
starsbar.gif(4.3 K)
nunst090.gif(4.2 K)

But everything to do with Swoffie hating Clemson.

Take a look at these 2 flags. There's a pretty strong resemblance and he has no problems playing championships in Georgia.

The NAACP, those that dress up like Confederate soldiers,

Mar 30, 2010, 6:39 PM

those that continue to talk about "heritage" and those that want to continually talk about how wrong the flag is are all idiots. The world would be a better place with out your constant crap.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The NAACP, those that dress up like Confederate soldiers,

Mar 30, 2010, 9:54 PM

The world would be better off without thinking like yours.

so are you for or against the flag?***

Mar 31, 2010, 8:45 AM

My viewpoint on it all

Mar 30, 2010, 7:12 PM

http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2009/07/swofford-shows-us-hes-pussyagain.html

Mar 30, 2010, 7:16 PM

Guess Barker and the Board of Trustees will give Senator McConnell an honorary degree this year. Might as well since we keep giving them to legislators while funding goes down every year.

If the flag represents a country that no longer exists, and

Mar 30, 2010, 8:46 PM

if it also represents a significant part of our history that we don't want to forget, why not just move it to a museum where it belongs. All who want to see it can go look at it.

If I significant part of our population is offended by it, why would we want to keep it where it us just to prove they shouldn't be offended by it (which I agree they shouldn't).

Like my Texas buddy Ron Proctor says, "A dog can whip a skunk, but sometimes it just ain't worth the result."

Guys, we're fighting a fight we can win, but is it really worth it?

Re: If the flag represents a country that no longer exists, and

Mar 30, 2010, 8:49 PM

As soon as you remove that flag the naacp would just start on another subject. They live for controversy. They will never ever be satisfied.

So? I don't care what they do. If they start a cheap fight

Mar 30, 2010, 8:52 PM

somewhere else, that's their business. The fact is that this fight is cheap and dumb on our part.

Re: So? I don't care what they do. If they start a cheap fight

Mar 30, 2010, 8:55 PM

and the same can be said for their part.

Good. Let them drag you down to their level just because

Mar 30, 2010, 9:12 PM

you don't want see them get their way. Me, I'd rather do the right thing, no matter who pointed it out, and watch you get dirty.

Re: Good. Let them drag you down to their level just because

Mar 30, 2010, 9:20 PM

What makes you so sure your way is the right thing to do?

It's not about the dang flag. Look at Bama's capitol grounds

Mar 30, 2010, 8:59 PM [ in reply to So? I don't care what they do. If they start a cheap fight ]

They have a memorial more prominent than SC's but the SEC has the baseball tourney in Hoover.

No, it doesn't work that way. I'm not gonna google for 30

Mar 30, 2010, 9:18 PM

minutes on this. If you have a link, show it. Otherwise, I'm betting there is no confederate flag on the capital grounds of any other state. And if Alabama has one, all the more reason I don't want one.

Here's the link.

Mar 30, 2010, 9:36 PM

Also it's very easy to google the Alabama state flag and notice the resemblance of the battle flag.

Then, google the Georgia state flag and notice the resemblance to the Stars and Bars. (They're the same thing pretty much)

I'm not saying it's right, but for the ACC to back the NAACP on this matter in South Carolina but still hold championships in Georgia is beyond stupid.

Also, the SEC doesn't get in to all this mess and still have their championships in Hoover.

http://photos.al.com/photogallery/2010/02/alabama_state_capital_confeder.html

I take one glance at their flag and all I think is

Mar 30, 2010, 9:55 PM

Ku Klux Klan. I was born in the south to parents raised barefooted in south GA. Their great grandparents farmed that land. My grandmother used to say that "darkies were good folks as long as they know their place." This is the same woman who would make rounds 4 times a week to make sure about a dozen black families were taken care of and had their needs met. As a preschooler I went with her on these rounds.

Most posters here could trace the same heritage. All I'm saying is that its time to put that behind us. Is a flag on a state capital a huge deal? No. Is taking it down a huge deal? No. Do I care what Alabama does or doesn't? My heavens, no. I'm I going to let the NAACP, bozos that they are, cause me to fight that stupid war all over again? I take one look at the Alabama flag, I remember those days with my Grandmother, the kindest woman I will ever know, and think, "No, that's a mud hole I chose to stay out of."

I still don't think you understand my point.

Mar 30, 2010, 10:11 PM

The flag means nothing to me. The fact that the ACC chose to back the NAACP taking the baseball tournament out of South Carolina does mean something to me.

My point is simply that other states are just as bad yet still host tournaments.

You could debate all day long about heritage and all that garbage but who really cares. If the NAACP and athletics wish to bash South Carolina, then bash all the other states who also have a memorial.

Let's start a boycott from having SEC Championships in the Georgia Dome or in Hoover for baseball. Heck, let's boycott Chick Fil A. I've never seen so many whities working at a fast food restaurant.

but but but ... other states

Mar 31, 2010, 9:25 AM

If the SC Senator wants more NCAA events in SC, then he should vote to remove the flag completely. Otherwise, he can't say 'shame on the ACC' if senator knows the consequences in advance.

Take the confederate racist symbol down.

Mar 30, 2010, 9:14 PM

You folks defending the rag are ignorant idiots.

Signed,

A white guy whose many ancestors fought for the Confederacy.

I think the point is that singling out SC is stupid when

Mar 30, 2010, 9:39 PM

other states have the same thing.

Take the confederate racist symbol down.

Mar 30, 2010, 9:14 PM

You folks defending the rag are ignorant idiots.

Signed,

A white guy whose many ancestors fought for the Confederacy.

Re: Take the confederate racist symbol down.

Mar 30, 2010, 9:32 PM

Any person not proud of his or her heritage or race is an idiot...as are you!

Being proud of your race is idiocy defined.

Mar 30, 2010, 9:57 PM

It's exactly why we're in this mess. Be proud of your school, your country, but race? That's ridiculous.

Wow.***

Mar 30, 2010, 10:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Take the confederate racist symbol down. ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I Stopped Reading at "War Between the States"....

Mar 30, 2010, 9:58 PM

...at least he didn't write "War of Northern Aggression."

I immediately ignored all the anti-flag posts in this thread

Mar 30, 2010, 10:02 PM

I'm not going to state my stance on pro-flag or anti-flag. That said, everyone in this thread who posted an anti-flag or take-the-flag-down comment outright ignored the topic at hand and hijacked a completely decent and rational topic: the ACC is singling South Carolina out regardless of your opinions of the flag.

Geez people. It's called reading comprehension. It's taught very early on.

2010_donor_pickem.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know what else is taught early on?

Mar 30, 2010, 10:22 PM

Taking responsibility for your actions. "But, but, they're doing it too!" is an argument that kids learn doesn't work. Who cares what Alabama or Georgia do? South Carolina has had the chance to move forward, but our state apparently likes living in the past.

they did move forward and moved the flag off cap.

Mar 30, 2010, 10:38 PM

that was agreed upon, but wasn't good enough when naacp realized they didn't have a fight to argue over and decided to bring up a dead horse... again

Well.. Spring is officially here. We're arguing about the

Mar 31, 2010, 9:25 AM

stupid battle flag again.

GO TIGERS!!

Replies: 56
| visibility 2,035
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic