Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My fairwell to Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 60
| visibility 1

My fairwell to Clemson

Apr 23, 2004, 5:13 PM

I came to Clemson in the fall of 1987 one of the worst prepared students ever. I was more interested in getting drunk and high than going to class and my grades showed it. In spring of 1989 I flunked out and left Clemson with no intentions of returning. I left with a dislike of Clemson, not even caring about coming to football games. Clemson had beaten me and I knew it.

Well I moved on and grew up. I worked a steady job and started to make something out of myself, but deep inside I was still mad at Clemson for beating me.

During the 1998 football season, my sister convinced me to go to a couple of games with her husband and I started to enjoy Clemson football again (If you can call that season football). However I still felt like I didn’t belong there because of the way Clemson had beaten me. I would stand when the Alma Mater was sung, but I would not sing and wave my hat.

I have failed at many things in my life, but Clemson was the only thing that had beaten me because of lack of effort on my part. Well in 2001 I decided to correct my mistake. I sold my house, resigned my position at work, and enrolled at Clemson for the fall semester determined not to let Clemson beat me again. My past was sitting there waiting on me. A 1.64 GPA with over 60hrs was still on file in Sikes Hall.

I treated school like a job because I was not going to let Clemson beat me again, but something changed along the way. I began to enjoy Clemson. I started to make new friends (even if I was known as the old man) and started to remember the good things about Clemson like playing basketball at Fike, having a beer at the Esso after class, and sitting in the student section during football games. Well I realized that Clemson is not something to battle against, but something to except and receive. When I did this, the grades came easily (I have made 1 B and the rest A’s).

There have been bad times during my second stay at Clemson. 9/11, tuition hikes, and a war that has taken classmates to the other side of the world have been troubling, but I am glad I experience them as a Clemson student.

Now it is time for me to leave and return to the real world, but I leave with pride because I have my ring on my finger and peace in my heart because my love for Clemson has been restored. I need no introduction…I am a Clemson man.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My fairwell to Clemson

Apr 23, 2004, 5:18 PM

Congrats...Way to get back in the game after being beat down

I dont know you, but I salute you!

Apr 23, 2004, 5:30 PM

What you have done is admirable...no matter who you pull for. Great job and Congratulations. I wish you well.

Very well done, sir.***

Apr 23, 2004, 5:31 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Congratulatons! I'm still standing where you were in 1989

Apr 23, 2004, 5:32 PM

but I hope to follow in your footsteps. I admire your tenacity, I know your quite proud. Hell, I proud for you, and I don't even know you. LOL.
I never enjoyed Clemson when I "had" to be there. I was there two years, never went to a baseball game, never went to a basketball game, although football was a staple. I went from Johnstone to Class, and home on the weekends. Now the I don't have to be there, I can't stay away. I make the drive from Columbia aleast once a week during baseball and football season. Its funny how my perspective has changed. At any rate, contratulations.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wave your hat***

Apr 23, 2004, 5:34 PM

Apr 23, 2004, 5:47 PM

Congratulations. Great story.

Awesome post. You sire, have my fondest congratulations.

Apr 23, 2004, 6:03 PM

Walk on graduation day and beam with pride. I felt that feeling twice in my life - for my BS and my MS. Only my BS was at Clemson. I'll never forget either day.

- prowler

I'm here to spread hate and discontent.

You are a "Clemson Man"; congradulations!***

Apr 23, 2004, 6:54 PM

Apr 23, 2004, 7:05 PM

I too was a student in the Fall of '87 with the same interests as you... I made it out eventually with very poor grades, but have made quite a sucessful life for myself. I am so proud of you for knowing how much work it took to dig out of that academic hole

WAY TO GO TIGER!

Congratulations, and thanks for sharing a great story.***

Apr 23, 2004, 7:11 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uncle Jake Media has designed the TigerNet Donor Badges every year since 2002, and provided many other graphics on the site as well. We are proud to be a Member of the TigerNet Business Network.

Please consider us for all of your web and graphic design needs!

Good Man in My Book, Congrats!!!***

Apr 23, 2004, 7:28 PM

Apr 23, 2004, 7:30 PM

You are, indeed, a worthy Tiger; I hope your future is as good as mine has been!!

I salute you.

Apr 23, 2004, 7:42 PM

I think Bowden said something more or less along these lines last fall. "It doesn't matter how many times you get knocked down. What counts is that you get back up."

Sir, you have gotten back up. I'm proud to know you as a Clemson man. Congratulations.

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks very much for writing that. Congratulations!******

Apr 23, 2004, 7:45 PM

Cnogra***

Apr 23, 2004, 8:04 PM

i ment congrats . Bad spelling day for me lol.

Apr 23, 2004, 8:09 PM

Way to keep going after your dreams.

I did the same thing in 1964. Went to work in 1967.

Apr 23, 2004, 8:11 PM

Got married in 1968--move to Charleston in 1969. Decided to return to school and get a degree in 1971 Graduated from Baptist College in 1973 in Bus. Admin. Returned to school in 1986 and got a masters in Bus Ed in 1988 from USuCs. Got a job @ Kingstree High School and still there.
One day when I retire, I will get that Clemson Ring.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Awesome story! I did a similar thing but I don't want to

Apr 23, 2004, 8:28 PM

take away from your story. Good luck in the transition to post college life.

Same here my friend...

Apr 23, 2004, 8:48 PM

I entered Clemson in the Fall of 1980, and had the best times of my life for the next four years, the only problem was I flunked out, tried again, dropped out, went back, dropped out again....long story short, at the age of 34, I went back, worked my tail off, and obtained my degree. I never thought that Clemson University had beaten me, in fact, Clemson University never quit on me, and that is what makes it so special. Clemson never gives you anything, but it allows to succeed. Just know that what you have done is unique, as is every Clemson degree. Congratulations and GO TIGERS!!!

Congrats! Great story!***

Apr 23, 2004, 9:20 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

Great HOF Post***

Apr 23, 2004, 9:35 PM

Whew!!

Apr 23, 2004, 9:40 PM

Nice to read that I was not the only one to follow that path!! Took me nine years to return but in those previous nine the department chair kept after me to return, A special thanks to him!!

Great post...and congratulations!!!***

Apr 23, 2004, 10:17 PM

wow - congratulations.***

Apr 23, 2004, 10:17 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A coupla comments on all of our experiences on Fort Hill

Apr 23, 2004, 10:52 PM

Your story hit very close to home as I had several stops and starts at Clemson prior to finally realizing what it took to get a degree from our beloved institution and that it involved working JUST as hard as everyone before me and everyone after. Actually, for me, looking at it as an 8hr a day job DID make it more approachable and eventually successful.

Every Clemson alumnus will tell you point blank that despite all the information, skills and techniques any of us acquired while at Clemson, far and away the MOST VALUABLE thing ALL of us learned was..........how to learn.

Regardless of degree or research project, I firmly believe that is the highest commendation one can pay to his/her alma mater....and learning how to learn is seldom an easy task no matter the discipline. Yet, the joy of eventually knowing how much effort is required to achieve knowledge is unequalled.

30 Years Later, I STILL wish I was at Clemson!!!!!!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2004, 10:53 PM

There is something special in those hills! You sound like someone who will be a great example to many people in the future.

Way to go Tiger!

Tony Elliot's life story and this one....

Apr 23, 2004, 11:06 PM

have been the two most inspirational posts I've read on the board. Congradulations sir.

Not that you need it, but you have my full respect for that accomplishment.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congrats - Were you in F Section? I was a frosh in '87

Apr 23, 2004, 11:07 PM

wonder if our paths crossed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

B5***

Apr 24, 2004, 10:25 AM

Ah, B-5!! I lived in B-518 from 78-82. President of B-5 in

Apr 24, 2004, 11:07 AM

80-81, and Social Chairman in 81-82 (worked/managed Bollwinkles, which later became Crazy Zacks (84) then The Zoo).

B-5 had a charter in those years. We had a girl in the Top 10 of homecoming most of my run there. We would pick girls from the freshman register, and ask them the first week of school. Two of our girls eventually won in later years. We were pictured in TAPS under Special Interest. Any of you who are familiar with a certain Clemson Rifle company and their mascot would be advised to look at the B-5 picture in the 79 TAPS. Look at what is sitting on the top of John C. Calhoun's tombstone.

That photo almost got us all expelled from Clemson. Boy those were some fun days. We took that thing about three weeks after seeing this new movie called "Animal House" in the fall of 78. The abduction of the mascot, is a great story unto itself.

Apr 24, 2004, 12:34 AM

Hey, I can relate to your experience and I can appreciate it. Congratulations and well done!

Apr 24, 2004, 2:13 AM

wow...can't wait for my time at Clemson..at the age of 31 yikes! but I guess your never too old for Clemson! thanks....very inspiring!

C L E M S OOOOOO N!!!!

Hear, hear - Congratulations !!!!!!***

Apr 24, 2004, 2:38 AM

null

Apr 24, 2004, 6:02 AM

All your fellow alumni are so proud of you - wear your ring with pride - you.ve earned it. Thank you for sharing your story and reminding us why we are all proud to say, "I went to Clemson!"

Good job. You'll appreciate Clemson now in a special way.***

Apr 24, 2004, 7:56 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What a load of

Apr 24, 2004, 8:22 AM

great inspiration. Congrats from all of us, especially those of us known as "old men" during their tenure at Clemson ;)

Amen!! Joe Sherman was right!!!************

Apr 24, 2004, 10:25 AM

Great story. Thanks for sharing. Congratulations !!!***

Apr 24, 2004, 10:30 AM

Awesome post. Congrats***

Apr 24, 2004, 11:15 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Awesome! Welcome brother!*****

Apr 24, 2004, 11:22 AM

The fact that you succeed in this endevour proves that

Apr 24, 2004, 12:06 PM

you were ALWAYS a Clemson Man. Congratulations!

Apr 24, 2004, 6:39 PM

Congratulations and good luck. Go tigers!!!!!

Very nice sir. Very nice. Congratulations... Clemson Man***

Apr 24, 2004, 6:42 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Outstanding. Thumbs up for you sir!***

Apr 24, 2004, 6:44 PM

Another case...

Apr 24, 2004, 6:45 PM

Some folks actually gave this post a thumbs down.

Now that's sad.

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

I know; the langwig poleece will be tuff too.***

Apr 24, 2004, 6:48 PM

Looks like a lot of people gave your initial reply to this..

Apr 24, 2004, 7:06 PM [ in reply to Another case... ]

post some thumbs down as well. Ratings system certainly not being used for what it was intended.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For what it's worth...I've given at least

Apr 24, 2004, 7:13 PM [ in reply to Another case... ]

one thumbs down in the past purely on accident...I goofed and the mouse roamed a bit...whoops...

Take that for what it's worth.

Clemson_Wake_2004 046

Argh...I'll pretend that was accidental...***

Apr 24, 2004, 7:15 PM

Clemson_Wake_2004 046

I have to hook you up for that one.***

Apr 24, 2004, 7:18 PM

All I can say to that is: Amen.***

Apr 24, 2004, 7:13 PM

Clemson_Wake_2004 046

I would give my left nut to be able to go back...

Apr 24, 2004, 8:38 PM

and do it again. I graduated in '90, but I'd love to start all over again!

Apr 25, 2004, 11:53 PM

I don't think you said "Goodbye" but rather "Hello" to Clemson. Well done sir, and all the best in your "new" life.

Apr 26, 2004, 12:23 AM

Good job man

Contratulations-what an accomplishment!

Apr 26, 2004, 7:52 AM

nm

Way to go Tigerrocker- We're proud of you***

Apr 26, 2004, 10:35 AM

you should publish this in a local paper

Apr 26, 2004, 12:42 PM

maybe this could be fowarded to the Greenville News or Anderson Independent, that is a great inspirational story.

Wonderful post. Congrats.***

Apr 26, 2004, 1:07 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lucky Johnson

Apr 27, 2004, 11:31 PM

bttt!!

Apr 28, 2004, 3:42 AM

W00t!!!!! Congrads!!!!!

Replies: 60
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive