Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Strawberries
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Strawberries

Mar 6, 2021, 7:43 PM

I love strawberries but I've been disappointed this year with the ones I have had so far. All were from California. They had that sweet strawberry aroma but no taste whatsoever. They are picked in the "not fully ripe" stage so they will last longer in transit and in the stores. The stem ends are still green and very hard. I have to cut off the green portion and then slice them in small pieces so I can crush them into a mushy state. Then I have to add sugar to gain some degree of sweetness. I prefer putting my strawberries on angel food cake. Now, that is some good eating !!!!! But I still wish I could get strawberries that are fully ripe and sweet. IF I could, there would be none left to put on a slice of angel food cake.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I noticed a patch just outside of Due West

Mar 6, 2021, 7:49 PM

on Thursday that will be open for sale in no time at all. It's on your way to Greenwood if you take the back roads from Anderson. Can't wait for some of those - you can pick your own or just buy a quart or two already picked once they are ready.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I noticed a patch just outside of Due West

Mar 6, 2021, 8:08 PM

https://m.facebook.com/DueWestStrawberries/?__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARCo2p5JdZ2mkwUeeZ3W4Dqm_Cp0ve7BlgKTcSiFUqKQJIDiPznBe7E6Vf7vDlgWNd5wIo2WD-_pBsUpCkk_irgyjwZ31gNgUwXNtWcEmdHEi2GoMxsfYjNchXT144IwaOuRAjynJ_7Tz-M25RSMejYekGXgaKeE4MDVhLWS6b5Slw_KBD5SKu9jaTFXJALlU3JQ9d28CA3hnTMZ_UXDQbkrzRx_VdMiK7lCNq6CxD30iQn_XO2aetsh2QBI1OU_2tvq_c2eR39QC8LgrxObu-bfZCWPVVCVEQR55-qTA-6-Zo7QRQs

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Pinebreeze Farm Strawberry Fields & Garden...

Mar 6, 2021, 8:18 PM

Right on Highway 25, near Pelzer, will have strawberries by mid-April.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I noticed a patch just outside of Due West

Mar 6, 2021, 9:21 PM [ in reply to I noticed a patch just outside of Due West ]

Clover =====I know that spot. I pass it going down to Greenwood. I've never stopped there because I've usually been able to get good strawberries in the Clemson area.

Message was edited by: Joe21®

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or on your way to Abbeville.

Mar 7, 2021, 1:28 PM [ in reply to I noticed a patch just outside of Due West ]

;)

they been doing strawberries for ever.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Strawberries

Mar 6, 2021, 7:56 PM

You pick’em local farms will be ready for strawberries in just a few weeks. If you’re in the low country wabi sabi farms is wonderful!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 6, 2021, 7:59 PM

Joe, you need to head up highway 11 to Strawberry Hill. It'll be a while before they're in season, but well worth the wait!

https://strawberryhillusa.com/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 6, 2021, 8:10 PM

I was going to say it's usually around May when they are in season aren't they? Seems like it always around Mothers Day they are plentiful in the grocery stores.

Is that located on Boone's Farm? Been there back in college***

Mar 8, 2021, 10:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Strawberries ]

Mar 6, 2021, 8:02 PM

the strawberries in McBee,SC at McLeod Farms always taste good and are nice and sweet

Strawberries from Plant City, FL should be readily available

Mar 6, 2021, 8:09 PM

in stores now. Not quite as good as the local berries, but way better than the California ones, which have no flavor...just like their sorry peaches.

I prefer mine on good homemade pound cake, rather than the angel food! Topped with a big scoop of ice cream!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Strawberries from Plant City, FL should be readily available

Mar 8, 2021, 10:41 AM

Plant City, FL has been a strawberry growing area for many years. Before WW2, and maybe for a period after WW2, they had what was referred to as Strawberry Schools". Strawberry growers could not afford to hire pickers, they had to rely on family members, including school age children. Schools suspended classes for about one month during the strawberry season and then resumed classes after the strawberry season was over.

Another area where strawberries were a major crop was in the Lawtey/Starke area but I don't remember the schools changing their schedules like they did in the Plant City area.

One of my brothers-in-law had about one & one-half acres in strawberries but was able to hire pickers in his area. I had an uncle who was a sales rep for Ballard Flour. He would give my older brother and I one of their promotional caps. The caps were white with the Ballard logo printed on the front. My brother and I would go out to the strawberry patch, pick the over-ripe berries and throw them at each other. Those Ballard caps were covered with strawberry stains as was a lot of our clothing. We had a six quart hand-cranked ice cream churn and we enjoyed strawberry ice cream about every day during the season.

Those were the days I'll always remember.

Mar 6, 2021, 9:34 PM

Joe , If you have never been to strawberry hill, you should try it . Maybe a Chesnee address.

Mar 6, 2021, 9:37 PM

I see icutris beat me to it .

Mar 7, 2021, 8:26 AM

I hear you Joe. Just had some big Cali strawberries with my cereal. They are more tart than sweet and the top 1/5th of the berries are not ripe at all.It's no where near Clemson, but if you get a chance, check out Chadbourn NC which is 55 miles south of Wilmington. Lots of sweet strawberries. They still proclaim Chadbourn as the "Strawberry Capital of the World."

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 7, 2021, 8:34 AM

Callaham Orchard
559 Crawford Rd. Belton, SC

Location: in the Cheddar community between Belton & Williamston

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God, Have no fear and Never Forget a Friend ~ Harry S. Truman

Mar 8, 2021, 10:55 AM

Joe, it is very rare to find any fully ripened.

Way back when I was single, a strawberry cake was the only

Mar 8, 2021, 11:27 AM

kind of "box" cake recipe I would attempt. It was a Duncan Behinds Deluxe II Strawberry cake mix, and it was pretty doggone awesome for a box recipe.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would be really wary about one of those

Mar 8, 2021, 7:03 PM

Duncan Behinds flavors.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic