Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On This Date: 1988 (11)Clemson- 49 (22)Duke- 17
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 1
| visibility 1,248

On This Date: 1988 (11)Clemson- 49 (22)Duke- 17

Oct 15, 2020, 8:48 AM

Spurrier, Duke Be-Deviled in Death Valley 49-17

Washington Post
By David Newton
October 15, 1988

CLEMSON, S.C., OCT. 15 -- Break out the basketballs in Durham, N.C. The Duke football team just took a back seat. Again.

Clemson made the demotion official, handing the previously undefeated Blue Devils a 49-17 whipping today in front of 83,500 witnesses at Memorial Stadium.

The 11th-ranked Tigers rolled up 533 yards -- 388 on the ground -- to improve to 5-1, 3-0 in the Atlantic Coast Conference. Duke, off to its best start since 1962, dropped to 5-1 and 1-1 in its first national television (ESPN) appearance since 1983.

"There's not a lot to say," Duke Coach Steve Spurrier said. "We got whipped on both sides {of the line of scrimmage}. They just thoroughly beat us about every way you can."

The Tigers looked more like a nationally ranked team than they have since a Sept. 17 loss to Florida State.

"We looked like the team we should this afternoon," said Clemson Coach Danny Ford. "I was glad to see it. I don't think we played that good the last few weeks."

Said Tiger defensive back James Lott, "It just all boiled down to getting our attitude right."

Slowing Duke quarterback Anthony Dilweg didn't hurt the situation. Dilweg, who came into the game averaging more yards -- 357 to 352 -- than the entire Clemson offense, completed 18 of 41 passes for 209 yards and two interceptions.

The Tigers finished with four interceptions and two sacks. Clemson's offense wasn't bad, either, running up its highest scoring total of the season.

Balance was the key. The Tigers, who rushed for 148 yards and passed for 145 in the first half, built a 21-0 lead before some of the homecoming crowd had settled into seats.

Fullback Tracy Johnson scored on a one-yard run with 4:16 left in the first quarter. Two minutes later, third-string quarterback DeChane Cameron, who lined up at tailback, connected with flanker Gary Cooper for a 79-yard touchdown pass.

"When they told me we were going to run it, I told DeChane, 'Don't throw it too far. Let me run under it,' " said Cooper, who missed a week's practice with a bruised knee.

Cooper appeared anything but injured. Following an interception by strong safety Gene Beasley, quarterback Rodney Williams hit Cooper for an 11-yard touchdown pass.

Duke's Quinton McCracken returned the ensuing kickoff 96 yards for a touchdown to make it 21-6. The kick was wide left.

On their next possession, the Blue Devils marched 66 yards in seven plays, capped by a seven-yard pass from Dilweg to Clarkston Hines. The two combined again for the two-point conversion to pull Duke within seven.

But that was as close at it would get. The Tigers answered with a 73-yard drive that ended in a five-yard touchdown run by Williams to take a 28-14 lead into intermission.

They blew it open early in the second half. Dilweg fumbled after a hard hit by linebacker Levon Kirkland, and Clemson recovered at the Blue Devils 19. Five plays later, Johnson bullied over the right side for his second touchdown and a 35-14 Clemson advantage.

So, if the Blue Devils are going to win an ACC title, it will have to be in basketball.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: On This Date: 1988 (11)Clemson- 49 (22)Duke- 17

Oct 15, 2020, 9:20 AM

Tracy Johnson was a beast. I remember him hitting a Maryland player on a punt return with a crack back block one time that completely disintegrated the Maryland players helmet. Mouthpiece and pieces of helmet flew off in all different directions. Would be illegal today. Poor Terp laid on the field forever before being helped off. BTW. That was a great game against Spurrier. I remember Dexter Davis had a coming out party that day.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 1
| visibility 1,248
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic