Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NLI-winners
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 900

NLI-winners

Apr 30, 2020, 12:40 PM

If the players can get paid for autograph signings, speaking engagements, camps, the big winners will be the huge alumni, student body schools. (Ohio State, Texas AM, etc). No matter the business it always comes down to how many customers you have. Ohio State with 50,000 students, in a State of 11 million people will have a lot more customers than Clemson. This idea of customers is why US companies jump through all the bs hoops of Chinese Gov to have access to over a billion customers.

Winners will not necessarily be based on market size. I mean Atlanta is huge but the "Customers" in Atlanta and the State of Georgia are Bulldogs. GT alumni are a small percentage so a business not be so inclined to pay a GT player as a spokesperson. The TD clubs in GA I am sure are controlled by UGA people, so they will pay GA players to speak at TD club meetings, etc. There are a ton of Bulldog customers in a State of 10 million people to our State of 5 million.

Same goes for like Southern Cal. Sure there are 10 million plus in LA but they will have to compete with all the pro sports stars, etc. so the number of customers my not be what you think.

The big winners will be teams like Ohio State, LSU, Tennesse etc where they are the dominant college in a State a not competing for market share as much with another school and have a large alumni base. Clemson/Chicken, Alabama/Auburn players will be in states where customers are divided.

One positive for Clemson is that Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson is now over 1 million people so Clemson will be much better off than the Miss St., Ole Miss' of the world where the fan base is divided and state only has about 2.9 million people.

Without a cap on earnings big schools win this battle. Simple economics of customer base and market share.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NLI-winners

Apr 30, 2020, 1:49 PM

Wouldn’t an Ole Miss type SEC school have a booster club full of bankers, insurance salesmen, car dealers, and lawyers each willing to promise a recruit they will each buy 10,000 copies of their picture? OT, kicker, doesn’t matter. They don’t have to be a high profile star if they can help the team win. This would just move the bag man to the NCAA, where I assume they can take their cut.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: NLI-winners

Apr 30, 2020, 2:32 PM

Sure OLE MISS will still have the rich bagmen, etc but it becomes a matter of scale. Ohio State, Georgia can still have the rich alumni, bagmen etc. making payments and using this as cover. But so lets say the bagmen payments are equal. (OLE MISS has no more wealthy alumni that OH State). So on top of those payments you add the legitimate "customers" who send their kids to the camps. Well when you live in Columbus, OH with a population of 2 million and you have a huge alumni base, there are more kids to send to players camps. This will not be real hard for coaching staffs to present to recruits. "Hey player X, you will have a lot more kids in Columbus, OH that will come to the camp you set up than will come to a camp in Oxford, Mississippi." And you can even take your camps across the State of Ohio with its 11 million people and make even more money.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 900
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic