Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why do people say that TL and Deshaun were generational QBs
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 41
| visibility 4364

Why do people say that TL and Deshaun were generational QBs

Jun 18, 2024, 8:03 AM

then compare every incoming recruit to them? These two were truly generational and it is not fair to be compared to them, especially as an incoming freshman.
Hope we find another generational QB soon but a generation is 20-30 years.
My hope is that CK develops into a 1st or 2nd round NFL pick.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why do people say that TL and Deshaun were generational QBs

Jun 18, 2024, 8:07 AM

Because those two set the bar and they are a good gauge. We use them all for a gauge, whether they were a garage or less the acceptable.

Jun 18, 2024, 8:15 AM

They certainly spoiled us. I think everyone thought the next 5 star qb recruit would naturally emulate those guys. The last two have not. But TL and DW also had NFL pro bowlers at wr.

Jun 19, 2024, 5:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Why do people say that TL and Deshaun were generational QBs ]

Because they generated plenty of offense?

I dunno ... but we're had two consecutive "5 Stars" and they have been absolute

Jun 18, 2024, 8:19 AM

busts.

Cade still has time to turn it around, though.

Re: I dunno ... but we're had two consecutive "5 Stars" and they have been absolute

Jun 18, 2024, 8:25 AM

I don't think Cade is a bust yet. On that note, 5 star busts are somewhat common. Also, we have had 3 five start busts if you want to count Cade. I dont count Cade. These two were busts though.

Hunter Johnson
DJU

Im pretty sure Cade was a 4 star til the very end of his recruitment

Jun 18, 2024, 8:41 AM

When he committed to us he got a bump.

I think that may have upped his expectations a little high but at this point we should have high expectations for our QBs.

Re: Im pretty sure Cade was a 4 star til the very end of his recruitment

Jun 18, 2024, 6:47 PM

Remember Tye Simpson has not sniffed the field for Alabama either and he was a 5 star

Re: I dunno ... but we're had two consecutive "5 Stars" and they have been absolute

Jun 18, 2024, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Re: I dunno ... but we're had two consecutive "5 Stars" and they have been absolute ]

Having a good offensive line usually helps the QB. That’s why a priority is on the offensive line now along with a new coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 18, 2024, 9:45 AM [ in reply to Re: I dunno ... but we're had two consecutive "5 Stars" and they have been absolute ]

Having a good offensive line usually helps the QB. That’s why a priority is on the offensive line now along with a new coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd have to disagree that Cate is an absolute bust.

Jun 18, 2024, 8:25 AM [ in reply to I dunno ... but we're had two consecutive "5 Stars" and they have been absolute ]

He hasn't shown what TL and DW did. However, line play might have a little bit to do with that.

He has not thrown an interception into the belly of a DL/LB who was 10 feet from him, and he hasn't thrown a bounce pass to a wide open receiver in the flat.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'd have to disagree that Cate is an absolute bust.

Jun 18, 2024, 8:27 AM

Yeah let's see Cade with a good OL and WR's. The jury is still out. imo

He almost single-handedly lost games against NC State

Jun 18, 2024, 8:41 AM [ in reply to I'd have to disagree that Cate is an absolute bust. ]

and FSU last year. His turnovers and decision making have been atrocious.

Re: He almost single-handedly lost games against NC State

Jun 18, 2024, 8:57 AM

He played poorly, but he was trying to make something out of nothing.

Re: He almost single-handedly lost games against NC State

Jun 18, 2024, 9:50 AM [ in reply to He almost single-handedly lost games against NC State ]

Single-handedly? Do you remember Phil mafah fumbling the ball when we had a chance to go up by 14 in the 4th? Cade definitely played a role in the losses no doubt, but to say it wasn’t a team effort is a little lazy.

Re: I'd have to disagree that Cate is an absolute bust.

Jun 18, 2024, 9:03 AM [ in reply to I'd have to disagree that Cate is an absolute bust. ]

Who has he had to throw to? WR corp has been thin, injury-prone, and generally unable to run routes, get open, and then catch a ball thrown to them (drops). If Cade had Tee Higgins to toss it to, his numbers would be a lot better.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 18, 2024, 8:26 AM [ in reply to I dunno ... but we're had two consecutive "5 Stars" and they have been absolute ]

Unless the player is just a natural athlete, it is up to the coaches to develop the players. I don't think we have done a good job in recent years. Too many inexperienced coaches on staff.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 18, 2024, 8:26 AM [ in reply to I dunno ... but we're had two consecutive "5 Stars" and they have been absolute ]

Yeah. Sorry if I phrased that poorly above.Actually you did say Cade has time.

get a hold of yourself Lester

Jun 18, 2024, 8:42 AM

lol

Jun 18, 2024, 8:43 AM [ in reply to I dunno ... but we're had two consecutive "5 Stars" and they have been absolute ]

How many 5 star busts have we had at WR during that same time? DW4 was a great QB but he wasn’t the most accurate. His WRs did a lot to make him look even better than he was. He could throw it close and those guys would go get it. Haven’t had that type of WR play in a while.

OK ... do you think we win the National Championship with Cade instead of DW4?

Jun 18, 2024, 8:47 AM

I mean, all those stud receivers, right?

Re: OK ... do you think we win the National Championship with Cade instead of DW4?

Jun 18, 2024, 3:03 PM

Ok. Do you think we win the national championship with DW4 in 2022 or 2023?? I mean, he is Superman, right?

Jun 18, 2024, 9:45 AM [ in reply to I dunno ... but we're had two consecutive "5 Stars" and they have been absolute ]

hotsawce said:

busts.

Cade still has time to turn it around, though.

In fairness to Cade, he hasn’t had much of a supporting cast around him thus far. However, I think the whole offense will improve this year. So maybe he starts to look the way he did in high school. I hope so anyways.

generational - What does that mean?

Jun 18, 2024, 8:50 AM

We think it means "once in a generation." Well, depending on the context a "generation" is normally defined as 30 years, 40 years or 70 years.

How far apart were Watson and Lawrence? Clearly, they were in the same generation.

But, in terms of today in athletics, "generational" means "really good" or "All-American" or "leads us to a national championship" or something along those lines. It has nothing to do with time.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 18, 2024, 8:56 AM

Finding a QB that can out perform his circumstances is pretty rare. To me a so-called "generational" QB is one that has ridiculously great play whether or not they have an O-line or great recievers.

Cade may end up being a really good clutch QB for us, but I don't think he is a generational talent. That would be obvious by now. What also seems to be obvious is that he needs a much better supporting cast in order to play at his best. Hopefully that will happen this season.

Jun 18, 2024, 9:08 AM

Ck’s talent is not in question. It has been the decision making. I think this will be the biggest improvement for him but only if the oline, receivers have a large improvement. Felt like last year with injuries and missed assignments CK had the mindset to need to win a play by improvising and not taking what the defense gives you to live for another play. If everyone is in sync on offense this year ( hopefully ) then we could be looking at a very good year. Go Tigers.

Jun 18, 2024, 9:14 AM

The same reason people compare players to Tom Brady, Troy Aikman, or Peyton Manning. It’s not a shocker. Lawrence should have won three and Watson at least two. Most schools only see a Qb of that caliber once if ever. We had two almost back to back.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 18, 2024, 9:29 AM

The last 5 national title winning QBs:

Joe Burrow-Generational
Mac Jones-Solid but had the most ridiculous all-world WR room to help him, not generational
Stetson Bennett-Solid game manager Qb, not generational
J.J McCarthy-Very solid hyper efficient QB, but not generational.

We don’t need Cade (or a future QB) to necessarily be generational, especially if the rest of our roster is loaded. What we do need is for the QB to not consistently make game changing mistakes with turnovers etc

Jun 18, 2024, 3:07 PM

Joe Burrow had a pretty ridiculous, all world, WR room as well. I can’t bring myself to call a guy who had one great year generational.

His health remains a concern for me....

Jun 18, 2024, 3:31 PM

as far as gauging his NFL legacy status assuming he wins at least 1 ring.

Jun 18, 2024, 3:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Why do people say that TL and Deshaun were generational QBs ]

He ended up generational before he graduated and will be a HOF QB in the NFL as well.

Despite his 3 rings...

Jun 18, 2024, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Why do people say that TL and Deshaun were generational QBs ]

I wouldn't put Aikman in the same class as Manning; had the best OL in NFL history and the roster was stacked(no cap, no free agency).

NFL free Agency and the salary cap were both instituted by 94, Troy absolutely

Jun 18, 2024, 3:37 PM

played under both

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I dont think many people here expect Cade to be as good as DW or TL.

Jun 18, 2024, 9:30 AM

But the expectation is for him to play like the elite 5 star QB he was billed as by recruiting analysts and our own coaches.

Thus far, he hasn’t.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I dont think many people here expect Cade to be as good as DW or TL.

Jun 18, 2024, 3:52 PM

True

Re: I dont think many people here expect Cade to be as good as DW or TL.

Jun 18, 2024, 3:53 PM

Forgot to add, I always thought he would need a couple of years in the weight room.

Jun 18, 2024, 9:43 AM

1st or 2nd round would certainly be nice, but I’ll take even a 4th or 5th round at this point. Either way, I have a feeling he will take a step forward this year.

Ask Dabo he's the one who called Cade a faster DW4

Jun 18, 2024, 9:52 AM

I don't really follow recruiting that closely I pay attention to what our coaches say; so, I was expecting quite a lot.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You mean Dabo overexaggerated about how good a player is?

Jun 18, 2024, 12:34 PM

I'm shocked. SHOCKED!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Jun 18, 2024, 10:30 AM

Because they're exaggerating DW and TL? Both were extremely good - neither were "generational". There was a generational prospect/talent in the 2014 recruiting class (Watson's class) though, it just wasn't DW.

Jun 18, 2024, 1:15 PM

TL and Watson spoiled us because they were ready to go "out of the box" both of the guys had all star big receivers in mike williams and Higgins.

Truth is other than maybe running back our offense has fallen off the last 3 years, part of it was DJ, part the offensive line, and part just very bad play calling.

The good news is that our WR's are quite talented this year for the first time in 3 or 4 years, the offensive line is big and has talent (i know we heard that before) as far as Cade goes i truly just think he is one of those guys who was never gonna make the jump until his 3rd year.

before we get too impatient the texas rookie of the year from ohio state never really played until his jr year as the starter, point being not everyone is out of the box.

"generational": speaks more to the rarity..

Jun 19, 2024, 6:21 AM

than strictly the time frame; type of player typically only found once in a generation but not limited to 1 per generation-

Replies: 41
| visibility 4364
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next