Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tips a first time visitor?
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 6609

Tips a first time visitor?

Sep 18, 2024, 12:00 PM

Hey there -

My Stanford friends and I are looking forward to visiting Clemson for the game next weekend. We will be driving in from Asheville on Saturday afternoon.

We know you take your football a little more seriously than we do in CA and are looking forward to taking in the scene. (I don't think we can give you much of a game these days.)

Can you share any recommendations on how best to enjoy the full experience? Where to park?

Thanks and good luck this weekend.

Brad

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tips a first time visitor?

Sep 18, 2024, 12:04 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Sep 18, 2024, 12:06 PM

Due to construction, I can't tell you where to park. But what I can tell you is to be gracious, be friendly, and be appreciative of the environment. They're aren't many like it.

Also, Welcome. Welcome! WELCOME!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He conveniently failed to mention the...

Sep 18, 2024, 12:22 PM

unofficial but mandatory initiation process. It is said to be invasive and a bit painful but usually only takes around 90 minutes for completion.

Some pervs actually seem to enjoy it.***

Sep 18, 2024, 12:57 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Sep 18, 2024, 12:15 PM

Welcome and hope you enjoy.

Since you mentioned parking the only parking in and largely around campus is by parking permit only. There are folks here selling their parking passes. Even the lots furthermost out on campus are a 20-25min walk so not terrible

https://www.tigernet.com/Clemson-Football-Parking/Stanford-2265/forsale

Here is the parking map
https://maps.topographics.org/hosted/clemson/?_ga=2.96070360.552984301.1726675582-1176156146.1721752459

Where are your seats? I would say since it is a night game you'll want to be in your seats in plenty of time to see us running down the hill. Its electric (at least to us) and at night its even better.

The main tailgating is around the stadium, so Lot 2,3,5,6 et but there will be tailgates all over. Dont be shocked if those of us in orange invite you over for a adult beverage and some food.

If you want to just park and go to bars its a short walk from the stadium. Esso is small, kinda a hole in the wall but well known. IIRC Brent Musberger used to enjoy Esso a whole lot after the games. Other than that Tiger Town Tavern and TD's are mainstays. Wein's is dump but their Litchers (Little Pitchers) of mixed drinks are dangerous plus its fun to watch the S-t show.

Foodwise if you get a chance to stop at The Smokin Pig in Pendleton it is definitely worth it. Its about 15min from campus. But be prepared for a wait.

I am sure you will get all sorts of others input but hope you enjoy your visit.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

North Clemson Ave or along college ave you can find parking in various

Sep 18, 2024, 12:17 PM

Lots/front yards. I like Clemson ave better. Tiger walk is fun and the band does a concert at the amphitheater i believe two hours before the game. People will tell you about smoking pig, but if you're coming from Asheville it's definitely worth the short detour to stop in Greenville at Lewis BBQ; there is no comparison to their brisket.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: North Clemson Ave or along college ave you can find parking in various

Sep 18, 2024, 12:45 PM

Lewis barbecue has the best brisket I’ve ever tasted.

Sep 18, 2024, 6:20 PM

Best I've ever had, too. Incredible. The sausages are good too, and the sides. Deeelicious!

Sep 19, 2024, 6:03 AM [ in reply to Re: North Clemson Ave or along college ave you can find parking in various ]

Outside of Texas maybe, even though theirs is good! I brought one back last October, frozen & packed ice packs, that my cousin cooked that topped anything in this state!

Sep 18, 2024, 3:15 PM [ in reply to North Clemson Ave or along college ave you can find parking in various ]

Love Smokin' Pig but Lewis' is the place to hit. Especially on a game day when The Smokin' Pig will be mobbed. It's also right off 276, so if if you take 25 down from Asheville you'll literally pass Lewis'.

Lewis BBQ single handedly made the whole neighborhood

Sep 19, 2024, 6:27 AM [ in reply to North Clemson Ave or along college ave you can find parking in various ]

smell like smoke non stop

good food

bad impact

Sep 18, 2024, 12:36 PM

A good place for single game parking is St Andrew’s Catholic Church, 209 Sloan St, Clemson. Last year I think it cost $40 per game. It is about a 15 minute walk to the stadium if you go straight there. Get there early. Since it is a 7:00 game, tailgating will be a blast. I would recommend stopping by the 55 Exchange on campus to get some Original Clemson Ice Cream. The formula goes back to 1914 and it is made and sold by Clemson students. The walk from downtown to the 55 Exchange is about 10 minutes then you will still have about 15 minutes to the stadium from there. They will close 2 hours before the game so I would say you want to go there before about 4:00. There will be a pretty long line. If ice cream isn’t your thing, stop by the Esso Club. It is another Clemson classic. It will be packed inside and out but they do sell beer at an outside bar near the street. It will be more on your way to the stadium if you park downtown.

Walk through the tailgate lots. If you follow The Mole®’s advice and are gracious and friendly, many of us will invite you to join us for food and drink. We love sharing the Clemson experience with new visitors.

Get in the stadium early. I always try to be in the stadium by about 40 minutes prior to kickoff to see the Victory Walk. That is not a big deal to a lot of people but I enjoy it and it insures I have time to hit the restroom and be at my seat before the team comes around the stadium and runs down the hill. It is truly one of the best entrances in college football, especially at night.

Be sure to save your ticket to your wallet in your phone prior to arriving in Clemson. The cell service near the stadium is spotty when it is crowded and I’ve seen people have problems accessing the tickets online near the stadium.

Welcome, and hope you have a great time.

Get in as early as possible. Clemson folks tailgate ALL DAY.

Sep 18, 2024, 12:43 PM

Wear your Stanford gear and people will be super friendly. That is what we are known for on football Saturdays. We will be intense during the game but happy to drink and tell stories before and after the game.

Hit up the world-famous ESSO club across from campus and have a couple beers and soak up the atmosphere. If you are still around on Sunday then have a meal at Walk-Ons and get some of the gator nuggets along with one of their cajun burgers. That is some good eatin there! Enjoy your time on campus and hopefully you have a great experience. That is....everything except a Stanford win!

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Don't be afraid to engage with people.

Sep 18, 2024, 1:01 PM

While we take football seriously, we aren't combative like some schools and actually take pride in being welcoming and hospitality.

If you're so inclined, walk around and chat with tailgaters. You will score a free beverage or two.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Welcome -- and ignore some of the posters on TNET

Sep 18, 2024, 1:21 PM

They're like the Stanford band: pretentious, inappropriate and downright annoying.

Hopefully you'll have beautiful weather for football.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Try not to look shocked

Sep 18, 2024, 1:24 PM

when you get to the airport and everyone is overweight

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Try not to look shocked

Sep 18, 2024, 4:33 PM

Tigerbalm1 said:

when you get to the airport and everyone is overweight

lol right…like there’s no fat people in Asheville!!
Geez

^^^^^^^Secretly a Plumper Man^^^^^^^^***

Sep 18, 2024, 8:46 PM [ in reply to Try not to look shocked ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you probably wont have time since you're staying in Asheville but .....

Sep 18, 2024, 1:42 PM

Downtown Greenville is a short drive from Clemson and it has a ton of great restaurants
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPbMW8WHnlE

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

Sep 18, 2024, 1:51 PM

Take my advice: just go home. TIA

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Sep 18, 2024, 2:46 PM

Leave your Harris signs in Cali or we are not responsible for your well being.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2024, 3:00 PM

Thanks so much for all the help.

We are a bit older (late 50's) so fully understand the benefits of courtesy and respect.

Clemson has a great program and Dabo has built it with a strong commitment to integrity. We actually have a couple things in common. Dabo and our former coach (Shaw) were good friends. The team we both hate the most is USC, although our u$c is in Los Angeles.

I hope to see some of you next weekend. I don't expect many Stanford fans, so if you see some 50 somethings wearing red and white, it is probably us.

Are you allergic to Rohypnal?****

Sep 18, 2024, 3:34 PM

Sep 18, 2024, 3:05 PM

Enjoy yourself, and don't be afraid to talk with Clemson fans at tailgates. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to see how welcoming we all are. Have a nice trip.

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Be prepared to explain it's the "Cardinal" not the "Cardinals."

Sep 18, 2024, 3:10 PM

And be prepared to do this possibly every few minutes.

2. Don't expect California rolls at the concession stand. The only roll you're gonna get is if you slice your half-cooked hot dog into eight equal portions and douse it in mustard.

3. It's Clemson. Not Clemzon. This is an important one.****

Have fun and glad you're coming to the game.

#3!!

Sep 18, 2024, 4:09 PM

Spot on.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2024, 3:21 PM

Come early for the extracurricular festivities before the game:
Pig calling contest
Watermelon seed spittin
Greased pig chase-fun for the whole family
Latest moves in clogging
Lawn tractor races

Y’all come back, ya hear!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2024, 3:34 PM

It's homecoming so you will want to go to Bowman Field on gameday. The floats on Bowman are huge and represent the big time southern football culture. If you are around Friday night, there is Tigerama in the football stadium. It's a huge pep rally (35k) with a fireworks show, bands, cheerleaders, the football team, etc.

For parking I would try "the parking spot" located at 202 and 204 North Clemson Avenue. It's a neighborhood street between the campus and all the downtown bars. It's a great spot because it is literally close to everything (Bowman Field, stadium, local bars and t-shirt shops). Several frat houses on this street sell parking spots.

Enjoy Gameday!

Sep 18, 2024, 3:36 PM

Take everything with a grade of slaw……….and everything will be fine.

Brad..in 1989 Clemson Son & I visited Palo

Sep 18, 2024, 4:05 PM

campus (beautiful with orange tiled roofs) and illegally went into empty Cardinal (<~ no S) FB Stadium which was interesting but not huge, and we liked the tall fir-type trees that surrounded the stadium top.

Oh, Believe we went into the book store (know we did at UCLA) and planted a PAW logo sticker square on the front of the cash register check-out counter! LOL~

Welcome to DEATH VALLEY #1!

PS: Try sliding by ole Brent Musberger's favorite beer joint called The ESSO CLUB for a cold brew outside or inside located 1 1/2 blocks north west of stadium.

Go Cardinal & Go Tigers..ROCK!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brad..in 1989 Clemson Son & I visited Palo

Sep 18, 2024, 4:23 PM

I’ve always wondered where the Cardinal Tree came from. My suspicion is that it is not indigenous to California, but was imported by Fred Sanford when he founded the school. Prolly traded some haberdash for a Cardinal Tree.

Anyway, welcome to Clemson. I’ll be there, gonna be fun.

Re: Brad..in 1989 Clemson Son & I visited Palo

Sep 18, 2024, 5:38 PM

Fred Sanford? This is the big one. I’m coming to join ya Elizabeth!

Coming from Ashville I would

Sep 18, 2024, 6:15 PM

Take I-26 to hwy 25 towards Greenville. In a few miles you'll cross over into South Carolina. Drive another 25 miles and turn right just past McDonald's onto Blue Ridge Drive, go about 1000 Yards and turn right on 123 amd this will take you to Easley. Stay on 123 through Easley then it's ab easy fast drive (about 20 miles) to Clemson. As for parking, I don't know if the snow lot still takes cash for parking so I don't know if I should give you directions there. But either way, get to the area early.

Coming from Ashville I would

Sep 18, 2024, 6:16 PM

Take I-26 to hwy 25 towards Greenville. In a few miles you'll cross over into South Carolina. Drive another 25 miles and turn right just past McDonald's onto Blue Ridge Drive, go about 1000 Yards and turn right on 123 amd this will take you to Easley. Stay on 123 through Easley then it's ab easy fast drive (about 20 miles) to Clemson. As for parking, I don't know if the snow lot still takes cash for parking so I don't know if I should give you directions there. But either way, get to the area early.

Sep 18, 2024, 6:21 PM

Welcome. I saw Stanford vs Clemson in the Gator Bowl. 1986, I believe....

Sep 18, 2024, 8:32 PM

Stanford,

Welcome to Tiger country. Ignore the jokesters on this board. Anyone who appreciates good football is welcome here.

There is easy parking on Hwy 123 - try Pixie and Bill's or somewhere close. Then it is not a bad walk through the neighborhood to the Esso Club for a beer and food before the game. M<

Sep 18, 2024, 8:46 PM

Get there a couple hours prior to kickoff and can park under north stand top deck overhang...nice shade. Go to ticket window west entrance and buy your tickets if our scalpers on the street haven't already assisted you.

Sep 18, 2024, 9:09 PM

These dudes that know more about tailgating than me have steered you correct. Taking Hwy 11 West off 276 is much more scenic than driving through Easley. Welcome and I walked all around your campus Spring 2023 on way to airport from bucket list trip to Pebble Beach. One of if not the most beautiful campuses I’ve been on. Clemson fans will soon learn Stanford has had the best overall Men and Women athletic programs in USA. Welcome! Go 🐅!

Sep 18, 2024, 9:21 PM

Take time to walk around the campus. Get there early and spend the day, ask us while you’re walking around and anyone should give you good advice…anyone at least 35 years old

Sep 18, 2024, 11:41 PM

If you have time walk around the campus and check it out. Of course downtown too, Tigertown Tavern, Loose Change, etc.. and of course Esso Club next to the stadium.

Here's hoping the Stanford Band travels with the team, and

Sep 19, 2024, 5:54 AM

that they largely perform as I witnessed in our game against Stanford in the 1987 Gator Bowl!

That had to be one of the most entertaining, if not wackiest, shows I've ever witnessed, provoking many laughs and applauses. Admittedly, my crowd was somewhat stunned and baffled, but we thoroughly enjoyed it and complimented band members afterwards. Kinfolk of mine in California had some hearty laughs, when I related that experience to them, also.

Best wishes for a safe and enjoyable trip, and I think you'll find football here in the Deep South, especially in our neck of the woods, to be, let's say, invigorating! lol

Replies: 41
| visibility 6609
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic