Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Should Dabo even offer scholarships to HS players
Tiger Boards - Clemson Recruiting
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 13
| visibility 1161

Should Dabo even offer scholarships to HS players

Sep 11, 2024, 11:16 AM

that he knows will be involved in a bidding war ?

Should David Saunders have even got a Clemson offer, for example ?

This would be consistent with the portal philosophy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes. You should still go after the young men you think will be a great fit for

Sep 11, 2024, 11:18 AM

your program.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Should Dabo even offer scholarships to HS players

Sep 11, 2024, 11:19 AM

How is that consistent with the portal philosophy? We offered guys who were in the portal that ultimately went elsewhere for NIL money.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo has stated that Clemson doesn't even pursue certain Portal players

Sep 11, 2024, 11:22 AM

because of the expected money involved.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo has stated that Clemson doesn't even pursue certain Portal players

Sep 11, 2024, 11:50 AM

Assuming that is even factual/accurate, did he state anything similar for HS players? Asking for a friend.

If you are going to try to use his words against him, please don’t cherry-pick, distort, or misrepresent. Makes you look churlish.

Sep 11, 2024, 11:44 AM

Could you please explain what it is that you think Dabo' s Portal philosophy is? Also can you give examples of great success via the portal? More than one school and one year?

Sep 11, 2024, 12:15 PM

1965tiger said:

Could you please explain what it is that you think Dabo' s Portal philosophy is? Also can you give examples of great success via the portal? More than one school and one year?

Dabo's portal philosophy is that he prefers HS recruits but would use the portal if needed assuming they found someone who could help us and fit our program. Problem is he is opposed to paying players upfront money so the ones who can help us typically require upfront money (and often have a new destination in place before they enter the portal (tampering)).

UGA, Ohio St and Bama (under Saban) has had great success in the portal. For example, two portal WRs caught two TDs against us. Problem is these types of elite players require large upfront payments which are arranged before they ever hit the portal.

Sep 11, 2024, 2:17 PM

Thanks for the answer.. I think it’s partially accurate.
One thing I am not sure of is Can Dabo just pay players?
I thought the NIL , the collective paid players!
Either way it’s a bad model and it will be the ruin of college amateur athletics and not just football!

But at least technically or at least what I have been told the NIL and the Collective can give money but not coaches and not the school.
College Football is over and we now have some sort of Wild West pro system.
I am to the point I was just as soon watch NFL. At least the contracts run both ways and not just in the players favor.
Yes I still watch and I pull for Clemson but it’s not as much fun!

I think you know Dabo's philosophy on all

Sep 11, 2024, 11:57 AM

this but using Dabo's philosophy on high school and the portal to say Dabo is wrong. Well, many of us think differently. Go Tigers!!!!!

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, keep offering the ones that you want. He encourages them to visit

Sep 11, 2024, 12:03 PM

other schools and see what they lead off their recruiting pitch with. Peter Woods said that this is was one thing that set Clemson apart from other schools and one of the reasons that he wanted to come play at Clemson.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2024, 12:05 PM

No Dabo shouldn’t offer any more scholarships period we should only allowed walkons

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You Could Be On To Something There ---

Sep 11, 2024, 12:06 PM

Instead of offering the scholarship.....it may be better to give them the cash value of that scholarship. Kind of like those fake loan checks that come in the mail. So its basically like saying...."" If you want it come to Clemson and get it ""' The fine print...."" Money in existing scholarships given are to cover expenses related to educational and athletics purposes....and limited NIL usages...throughout the 3 to 4 year stay at Clemson University only. "''

Any scholarship recipients that transfer before completing 3 years of participation with the university and it's programs are subject to delinquency.

Welcome to Clemson University.

Sep 11, 2024, 12:20 PM

How do they know if they're interested in getting money and being in a bidding war versus being a player like TJ Moore who's content with producing on the field and then getting NIL money as he progresses through his career? I would imagine we're on a lot of them by sophomore and Junior years and that the money doesn't start being thrown around until they're near the end of their senior year. Who knows.

I do hope dabo changes his philosophy in the future. When you have a recruit that you know is almost a sure thing like DeShaun Watson or Trevor Lawrence. I'm afraid it's going to be very difficult to find a guy like that that doesn't need some cash.

Is today post a bad idea day?

Sep 11, 2024, 12:33 PM

Between this silliness and running down the hill by somehow starting at the bottom. I’m not sure how deep down the rabbit hole I want to go to see if there’s more

Replies: 13
| visibility 1161
Tiger Boards - Clemson Recruiting
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next