Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Our downfall began when
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 20
| visibility 2974

Our downfall began when

Aug 31, 2024, 6:28 PM

JEFF SCOTT AND BRENT VENABLES LEFT.

I AM CERTAIN VENABLES HAD MORE INFLUENCE ON THE ENTIRE TEAM THAN ANY OTHER COACH ON THE STAFF.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Our downfall began when

Aug 31, 2024, 6:34 PM

Agreed. Jeff Scott recruited and developed the WR position as good as anyone. It’s never been close to where it was when Scott was here. Dabo stayed being the CEO and didn’t get involved in X’s and O’s back then, which is what he was good at. The days of being elite are long gone. Hope ya’ll enjoyed the run.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is some validity to what you say. In my pre retirement corporate

Aug 31, 2024, 6:40 PM

days I was at one time VP of our Information Technology (computer) group. I was a complete computer idiot but I had five managers who “knew their stuff.” All I had to do was manage my managers.

Aug 31, 2024, 6:38 PM

Without Brent Venables, 2016 through 2020 would’ve been good years, but we would not have two national championships. Kudos to Dabo for going out and hire him. But that’s history.

Aug 31, 2024, 6:42 PM

I think Dabo thought he found one like him on offense in Riley. Unfortunately, that has turned out not to be the case.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 31, 2024, 6:43 PM

I don’t see much passion in Riley at all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 31, 2024, 6:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Our downfall began when ]

This is 100% correct. It looks like a Home run hire. But either Riley does not have the tools, or was completely overrated.

Aug 31, 2024, 6:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Our downfall began when ]

Dabo didn't want another Venables in the locker room. He still heavily restricts and ties Riley's hands. Anyone who can't see that is a fool.

Aug 31, 2024, 7:22 PM

One day someone will either prove this statement or learn that its just its just stupid! All head coaches have say in the plays on offense and defense but Dabo isn't calling the plays. He doesn't tell his receivers to run plays short of line on 3rd down either.

Aug 31, 2024, 6:43 PM

I am very close with one of our biggest donors, one of those with exclusive access to the locker room and sideline. They told me several years ago that Dabo and Venables fought all the time, because Venables was the only one with the balls to not be a blind yes man to him. The other coaches were just Dabo's ####### and would never push back. They told me when Venables left that the locker room would become an echo chamber. They were 100% right. And even for those who think Dabo is one of the greatest coaches and a great mind, you should be smart enough to realize that other perspectives will always improve the final performance.

Aug 31, 2024, 6:48 PM

This is true, and a perfect example why dictatorships do not work. Every organization needs multiple personality input for it to be successful. One brain is not enough. Those of us in the know understand who runs everything at Clemson football at this point. And it’s not healthy. None of the yesmen assistant coaches at Clemson have anything to contribute at this point. It’s Daboland, and until he leaves, it will continue to be daboland

Dabo thinks he is God then?

Aug 31, 2024, 7:03 PM

Not surprised.

Re: Dabo thinks he is God then?

Aug 31, 2024, 7:15 PM

“Beyond reproach”. Cannot be questioned due to pass successes. This is what leads to demise.

Adolf Hitler was blinded by early successes in World War II. He thought he was “beyond reproach”, when the Russians turn the tide on the war, he was in denial.

Steve Jobs was actually fired from Apple because he was “beyond reproach”, the company had unbelievable success and then when it went on hard times he was in denial. Clearly, he got hired back years later, but he was an example.

Axel Rose was “beyond reproach” because he had wild success with four albums with Guns N’ Roses, and subsequently destroy the band because of his hubris. They never had another hit

Dabo is entering this category, I really hate it, I was hoping he would have four decades of success, but surrounding himself with yes men and lacking the ability to self-evaluate, is leading us down to dark path…

Aug 31, 2024, 7:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Our downfall began when ]

Sources? Please don't say the anonymous tigernet poster you just replied to

What credible coach told you personally that Dabo is trying to "play God" and run the team like a dictatorship?

Aug 31, 2024, 7:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Our downfall began when ]

I don't believe a word of this...if the relationship between Dabo and Venables was as tumultuous as you would have us believe why would Venables have left his son in the care of Dabo and his football program after he departed to Oklahoma?

If Dabo was trying to "play God" why would Venables want his son in that environment?

Aug 31, 2024, 7:29 PM

His source is at the Seneca VFW every Wed night. Tell em Charlie sent you.

that got a laugh***

Aug 31, 2024, 7:42 PM

Other teams lose coaches and reload. They seem to figure it out.

Aug 31, 2024, 7:13 PM

Why can't we figure it out? Maybe because we have too many coaching spots filled by former players instead of guys who have already cut their teeth and know what they are doing??

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Re: Other teams lose coaches and reload. They seem to figure it out.

Aug 31, 2024, 7:20 PM

You really gain credibility when you use Dabo in same sentence as Hitler.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 31, 2024, 8:51 PM

Ive been saying that since Brent left and more than once Ive been criticized on here and everywhere else. You are 100% correct, no question about it. Brent Venables was the Sheriff of Clemson. He was the Spine. He was the line in the sand that nobody went near, and the developement and discipline of this team shows it.

Aug 31, 2024, 9:15 PM

I thought that Garret Riley was a fantastic hire because of his past. I thought because of the success from the past coming to Clemson would give him a lot more tools/talent to work with. Still waiting.

Replies: 20
| visibility 2974
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next