Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Old and paid off.
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 33
| visibility 2927

Old and paid off.

Aug 4, 2024, 10:34 AM

My old pickup truck (Tundra) dates to the first Obama administration and doesn't have a computer touch screen. It's about as exciting and innovative as a peeled potato.

But it's paid off and the air conditioning could freeze a side of beef.

And it's paid off.

Plus it's paid off.

Here's to all the Tnetters out there who know what I'm talking about.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Driving a new to you car off the lot

Aug 4, 2024, 10:46 AM

is a wonderful feeling.

Making the final payment is a greater feeling.

I like to have a reliable car but can rarely avoid financing at least half. I usually drive a car till the repairs start to hurt.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

I haven't driven a car off a lot

Aug 4, 2024, 11:08 AM

in 30 years almost. I bought a Wrangler manual transmission back in my bachelor days that was a steal - a guy had tricked it up with the roll bars and lift kit and mudders and driven it to the beach with his wife who said "HATE IT."

I got it with 5,000 miles for well below Blue Book. And drove it into the ground. That straight-six was really dependable.

Re: Driving a new to you car off the lot

Aug 4, 2024, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Driving a new to you car off the lot ]

I'll by a new vehicle and I will buy another 50K of bumper to bumper warranty and as soon as all the warranty is gone, there will be another new one in my driveway within a few days after. Repair bills on a vehicle can amount to an extra payment every month and I'm not risking that burden!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Driving a new to you car off the lot

Aug 4, 2024, 3:11 PM

So you are renting
😂

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Old and paid off.

Aug 4, 2024, 10:52 AM

I’ve owned 1 Toyota . talked my wife into selling the Tahoe for new 4 Runner in 2020. We kept it 1 year and I still catch hell for talking her into it. That was the sickest engine(4.0) we’ve ever owned. Beautiful vehicle but absolutely no power. Went back to a Tahoe.

Tundras are great trucks and I believe loves gas more than Chevy which is odd for a foreign made vehicle

I've heard that about those.

Aug 4, 2024, 11:12 AM

My Tundra is a V-8 so there's plenty to go around, even when pulling a boat. Maybe gets 17 on the highway.

I don't commute for work anymore. One tank = 1 month.

The only problem I've had in all these years and 160k miles is with those dern secondary air injection pumps (EPA required for big engines) that got beach sand in them (we lived on the coast for about a decade) and failed, putting the truck in limp mode.

Aug 4, 2024, 2:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Old and paid off. ]

There is plenty of power in the 4 runner, it’s the pedal response people hate. Installing a pedal commander/sprint booster would have made it much more enjoyable.

Plus, that is a 300k motor/trans with basic/minimal maintenance. It will still be driving when the Tahoe is in the scrap yard.

Too many people get them thinking it’s going to be a v8 that’s been overtuned to look good on paper. It’s a v6 meant to last.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Excuse me? I don't go down to your work and tell you how to flip the burger!"

Aug 4, 2024, 11:06 AM

Is it paid off? That's what counts.

Aug 4, 2024, 11:55 AM

My wife and I haven't made a payment on a vehicle in over 20 years. We take really good care of them and we get top trade in value for them and pay the balance off before we ever drive off the lot...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2024, 12:11 PM

It has been a good while for me too - 10 years at least. Working on my 2000 silverado now, needs brake lines.

Been a Toyota guy for nearly 30 years

Aug 4, 2024, 11:12 AM

Owned a 96 Tacoma, 07 Tundra and now 23 Tacoma. Never any major problems.

Toyota having issues with newly designed Tundra engines and Tacoma transmissions.

Been hearing about the new problems.

Aug 4, 2024, 11:19 AM

My first truck was an '86 SR5 4x4 with a little short block 5-speed manual.

My dad drove it a while then gave it to me after teaching me how to do all the routine maintenance. Back when you could change your own oil, brake pads, filters, spark plugs, etc.

I drove it from my sophomore year in HS til my senior year in college. Then I gave it to my sister's kid who watched it roll 300,000 miles.

Best truck ever.

Re: Been hearing about the new problems.

Aug 4, 2024, 11:59 AM

I'm sure you've heard all your life that if you keep up the maintenance that it boosted the life of the vehicle, believe it bc it does!!!

Aug 4, 2024, 11:14 AM

Paid cash in 2013 for my great Jeep.

Due to rising taxes and insurance, it will never actually be mine.

the tug abides

Aug 4, 2024, 11:22 AM

Still wish I had my old 1968 Ford Galaxie 500 with a 302. Smoothest riding car that I ever owned. Gas tank started wearing out in '85 and, with a new kid on the way, we sold it. It was a fun car with bench seats, which you youngsters may never know what you are missing.

Re: Bought my truck in 2013.

Aug 4, 2024, 11:22 AM

It's been paid off for a while now. The lady that was doing the paper work asked me how long I intended to keep it. I told her; till the day I die. I hope that's a good while longer.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed. I do not need nor crave a new truck.

Aug 4, 2024, 11:24 AM

But Hey.....Is It Paid Off?***

Aug 4, 2024, 11:31 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My 2007 Chevy Avalanche is likewise paid off, and has a MUCH colder air

Aug 4, 2024, 11:37 AM

conditioning system than my wife's 2020 GMC Acadia Denali. That thing has so many bells and whistles on it, I think they engineered all the cooling right out of it. I had to go into the menu settings and change something to actually get the fan to run at the highest speed when trying to cool it down from a high temperature. What's up with THAT?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Always pay for mine so I dont have payments

Aug 4, 2024, 12:02 PM

If I can’t afford to buy it fully I don’t buy it. It’s a million times better knowing you don’t have a payment except for the car insurance.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Re: Always pay for mine so I dont have payments

Aug 4, 2024, 1:09 PM

Same...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Re: Always pay for mine so I dont have payments

Aug 4, 2024, 1:12 PM [ in reply to Always pay for mine so I dont have payments ]

Same here.

2003 Ford F-150 5 speed, hand crank windows, 175k. New alternator last week.

Aug 4, 2024, 12:07 PM

If the engine blows, I’ll replace it.

Aug 4, 2024, 12:12 PM

My son bought a used 2019 Yukon Denali. His wifes car. They have a horse and transport horses in a 2 horse trailer comfortably and safely. He says it is the best non-sedan vehicle he has ever owned. And it is paid off.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Aug 4, 2024, 12:23 PM

I bought a new 1993 thunderbird. Loved that car, my wife wanted to get a new car in 2010 and I told her I was driving it until the wheels fall off. The right front did break and fall off. Luckily I wasn’t going fast. All I did was have it fixed and drove another couple years.

Aug 4, 2024, 12:39 PM

Haven’t had a car payment since Clinton was in office. I buy nothing but Japanese Brand used cars. I have very few car problems and don’t care what people think about the car I drive.

Only had one car payment in my life, a 1972 Nova from Crane

Aug 4, 2024, 12:42 PM

Chevrolet in Easley... $72 a month. Drove it through HS and college and my first job until it died. Have paid cash for every vehicle since. Financing a car just rubbed me the wrong way. I think because our parents (WW2/Depression era) beat it into our heads that if you could afford something, you could pull out your wallet and pay for it. Otherwise, just be patient and save up.

As to Toyotas... I've had a Corolla, two Camrys, a Sienna, a Highlander, a 4-Runner, you name it. All you have to do is put gas in it and change the oil. One of the great joys in life is that smirk you have when a co-worker asks you to drop him off at the dealership to pick up his car. Again.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.” Charles Bukowski

Aug 4, 2024, 1:04 PM

Harrumph!!! Harrumph!!!

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Aug 4, 2024, 2:56 PM

Love seeing old cars and trucks on the road. My daily ride is an old vehicle. Low taxes and some repair bills do not equate to big car payments for most folks who drive these older vehicles. My neighbor drives a 2024 GMC desel truck that cost $70,000. Puts about 12-15000 miles a year on the vehicle. Will trade for a new one in 3-4 years when the milage exceeds 60,000. Dang! To me the truck is just getting broke in. Lots of milage left on the vehicle. But, folks have different ideas about what is important.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2024, 3:18 PM

Our second vehicle, the one I drive to work, is an 09 Toyota. Just went over 200,000 miles. Runs like a champ and been paid off for a long time. I know the bliss of which you speak.

Aug 4, 2024, 3:26 PM

I bought my first new vehicle since 1990 last year. It had better last me 30 years. In between my 90 Bronco, which was a lemon, I had used trucks that were any where between 7 and 10 years old that I paid cash for, except my 2007 FJ Cruiser, which I still have. Though I detest a car payment, it is the only the second time, since 89 that I have a vehicle I can hop in today, and expect to drive to wherever I need to go without worry or spending a fortune in gas. With a son now in the Army and a grand youngun, it is worth it. PS 6.7 HO is Da Bomb!

Aug 4, 2024, 4:12 PM

Bought a '93 Red Chevy S10 Pickup July 2000 from the son of the original owner for $5400. Had just over 52k miles. 2.8 Ltr six with 5 speed manual. Also have the original dealer sticker. Mileage now is 86,680. First painted over the original May '02 and the second July '16. Clear coat has started to peal off top of the tail gate and very top of box sides along with fading of the cab top. Rest of it is in reasonably good shape for lack of inside storage. In a couple of months, will see if it needs to be totally repainted or just the spots noted.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Aug 4, 2024, 4:22 PM

My 2016 Chevy truck and 2014 Toyota FJ are both paid off. Now days, I drive both about 12,000 per year combined. I thought about a new truck, then slapped myself awake when I saw the prices. I decided when I get new tires for the Chevy truck in a couple months, I'm going to get new wheels too. It's about $55,000 cheaper than a new truck and it will look different, almost like a new truck. 😉

Replies: 33
| visibility 2927
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next