Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
LOL Boys..I was talking to Cutigerz yesterday about having to use a rotary dial
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 751

LOL Boys..I was talking to Cutigerz yesterday about having to use a rotary dial

Apr 20, 2024, 10:05 AM

phone back in the day...and how youngsters of today would absolutely croak waiting on the 9 to roll back around....and then he said," yep and there were no CELL PHONES". I said, "Yeah, and if you had mentioned to your buddy about possibly going to the baseball game, basketball game,movie,etc...and they said call me later....Well, you started trying to call them about 5 for something that started at 6...and their dadgum little sister was on the phone so you got a busy signal....so finally you just drove over to his house and knocked on the door to hear his mom say,'oh...he went to the game....' "........How many of you are that old.......

Spud

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And boy it was super hard posting on TigerNet using a rotary dial phone!***

Apr 20, 2024, 10:21 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: LOL Boys..I was talking to Cutigerz yesterday about having to use a rotary dial

Apr 20, 2024, 10:30 AM

I loved the soothing sound of a rotary dial rewinding. They also forced you to memorize phone numbers. These days I can't confidently recite another number other than my own.

Re: LOL Boys..I was talking to Cutigerz yesterday about having to use a rotary dial

Apr 20, 2024, 10:32 AM

I'm that old Spud. I also remember party lines but never experienced one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 20, 2024, 11:23 AM

We had a party line and our phone number was only 4 numbers. We had a small black rotary phone and over the years paid gor that thing at least $1000. Got charged every month gor the phone.

I hated dial up internet. Slow as molasses and no one could call you while you were on the internet.

I worked as a systems analyst and worked with large companies who had a computer in a large computer room. It was slow as molasses and had a line printer that was also slow compared to printers today. Back then they called it a high speed printer. They fed info into it using a 80 column punch card, called a tab card. They had a punch card taulator room. Lot's of errors went into the computer due to punch card operators not being able to read handwritten documents and forms, so they just guessed because they were under pressure to get those tab cards punched.

Probably the greatest invention in technology was the bar code scanner. It revolutionized the gathering of information at the source. Remember in all retail stores every item had to have a price sticker or price on it for the cashier to ring it up. With bar code scanning you could keep a running up to date inventory of your merchandise.

Those large computers that filled a room could not come close to doing what a smart phone or laptop can now do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rotary dial ASML ***

Apr 20, 2024, 10:42 AM [ in reply to Re: LOL Boys..I was talking to Cutigerz yesterday about having to use a rotary dial ]

Yup Im that old! Geez time flies!***

Apr 20, 2024, 10:41 AM

listen up for that sweet bell.....

Apr 20, 2024, 11:04 PM

https://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=33053482#33053482

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall

We were on a 10 party line

Apr 20, 2024, 11:10 AM

Every family's phone rang on incoming calls. People were nicer back then!! Also, I worked for a phone contractor in the 60's and we did a new upgrade in Harpers Ferry, WVa going from wall crank phones to desk models. Had bout 100 of the old giant units at one time and carried 1000's to the dump. In the 70's, gave the last one I had to a Deputy that came to serve me. At least I got sometin for one of them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

I am not old, gosh dernit.

Apr 20, 2024, 11:15 AM

I am just blessed to be able to say I *remember certain things such as:

Call-waiting.

Caller ID.

Cordless handsets.

"Call us when you get there."

$1 gas.

Royal typewriters.

Paper weights.

Manual garage door openers (aka whoever wasn't driving the car).

Chrome fenders.

White walls.

Spoke rims.

55 MPH.

UHF/VHF and about four TV channels. Five with rabbit ears, and absolutely nothing on but the national anthem after about 2 in the morning.

Zenith.

Smoke-filled bars, airports, airplanes, baseball stadiums, restaurants, basketball arenas, etc.

Hardwood floors.

Shag carpet.

Pet rocks.

And I'm gosh dern thankful I do remember those things.

when i got back to Clemson after a weekend home

Apr 20, 2024, 12:13 PM

i would call person to person to myself so Mom would know i made it.

That would be incomprehensible to our kids..."Collect? Person to Person? Huh?"

Apr 20, 2024, 1:52 PM

Another thing:
Going away on extended backpacking/camping trips, overseas trips, or fishing excursions, and being entirely incommunicado or mostly incommunicado with only the occasional letter or post card.

Just the words "extended backpacking/camping trip," alone, might be incomprehensible to these tender feet.

Apr 20, 2024, 11:15 AM

I am

Apr 20, 2024, 11:33 AM

If you listened close enough you could count the number of clicks as it rolled back around and figure out what number your mom was calling when you knew you were about to be in trouble.

Yes, and I miss them. And our nation does too I think.***

Apr 20, 2024, 11:43 AM

Re: Yes, and I miss them. And our nation does too I think.***

Apr 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Yes. I’m that Old!

I had to wind my phone up first.

Apr 20, 2024, 12:03 PM

Then this nasally sounding person would say,
“Number please”

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I had to wind my phone up first.

Apr 20, 2024, 3:38 PM

TIGrrFnn® said:

Then this nasally sounding person would say,
“Number please”

It could have Lily Tomlin.

I'm old enough to remember party lines.

Apr 20, 2024, 12:07 PM

I won't even try to explain what a party line was. If you didn't live it, you'd never comprehend it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and the party lines for country folks***

Apr 20, 2024, 12:20 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

First phone was the old magneto crank wood phone hanging on the wall

Apr 20, 2024, 1:01 PM

Picked up the receiver and the operator answered. Yes it was a party line and our ring was 2 longs and one short.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 20, 2024, 1:09 PM

And people were more reliable to stay with the plan since it wasn't so easy as it is now a days just to send a text with some lame excuse.

Apr 20, 2024, 1:32 PM

seriously my friend is a teacher and she was showing the 4th grade kids technology of the past and they had no idea how to use it where to plug it into the wall it was so funny watching them find out how to use it. She told them now you cant make fun of anyone else now for not knowing how to do something on there smart phone. My friend is 36

Update. Was watching a commedien last night , about my age,and he said,

Apr 22, 2024, 11:32 AM

"Yep, and when the phone rang and it rang about 8 times before you could get to it,and the caller hung up before you could pick it up.....you had to call all your friends and ask if they just tried to call you....FROM THE NUMBERS STORED IN YOUR BRAIN!!".

Replies: 23
| visibility 751
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic