Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson defense ranked #101 in yards per game at 401.8 ypg
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 30
| visibility 2031

Clemson defense ranked #101 in yards per game at 401.8 ypg

Oct 1, 2024, 3:00 PM

I am glad our offense has come to life this year because our defense is not playing well.

I know Woods being out isn't helping, but being ranked this low in ypg is concerning to say the least.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson defense ranked #101 in yards per game at 401.8 ypg

Oct 1, 2024, 3:02 PM

Half of that is from backups, to be fair.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's true but still. Our back-ups should be better.***

Oct 1, 2024, 3:03 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's true but still. Our back-ups should be better.***

Oct 1, 2024, 3:29 PM

The backups are mostly freshmen and under classmen. I'll give them a pass and believe this will pay off down the road.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Yes they should. They've looked terrible...

Oct 1, 2024, 4:16 PM [ in reply to That's true but still. Our back-ups should be better.*** ]

but we're building experience and depth.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

100% True

Oct 1, 2024, 5:48 PM

While we've employed our Bend, don't break defense (we keep it safe, and let people drive until they make a mistake) with our first team, our second/third (and fourth) team has allowed more yards and points.

Thankfully, our yound guys are:

1) Getting playing time (which helps moral and keeps guys engaged)
2) Reducing the possible risk of injury to first string
3) Getting valuable playing time and creating quality depth for the back half of the season.

I'll take it after what we've seen the last 3 seasons.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2024, 4:26 PM [ in reply to That's true but still. Our back-ups should be better.*** ]

Yes, the backups should be better. Goodwin needs to be under fire.

Oct 1, 2024, 4:33 PM [ in reply to That's true but still. Our back-ups should be better.*** ]

No one has a strong two deep. If they can start somewhere else, some team will pay them to start at their school.

Oct 1, 2024, 3:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson defense ranked #101 in yards per game at 401.8 ypg ]

Sure hope its more than half from backups because that means our 1's are no better.

Oct 1, 2024, 5:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson defense ranked #101 in yards per game at 401.8 ypg ]

Our first team defense gave up plenty of yards this past week. Dabo said as much. Silver lining is that gives the coaches something to bark about at practice and film all week after winning by 26.

Oct 1, 2024, 3:03 PM

And most of this occurred in the 3rd/4th quarters when the backups are playing. Fact.

PWoo being out hasn't helped, but the stat is misleading.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

I don't know. We've always played the back-ups.

Oct 1, 2024, 3:04 PM

They had just never looked this bad.

I think it's lack of quality depth at LB and DE.

So do we continue to play them when we have a big lead so they can get

Oct 1, 2024, 3:16 PM

live game experience? Or do we worry about how many rushing yards they give up in garbage time?

The defense has slipped anyway you slice it.***

Oct 1, 2024, 3:38 PM

Re: I don't know. We've always played the back-ups.

Oct 1, 2024, 3:38 PM [ in reply to I don't know. We've always played the back-ups. ]

I will slightly disagree. Have we always played backups? Yes

But not to the extent and depth we've seen this year. I think one of the most overlooked reasons we had such a great run from '15-'19 was because for years we emptied the bench a lot more than we did in '20-'23. I remember it seemed like most weeks we were playing 90-100 guys.

Its not pretty now but the more we are able to do it, they better off we will be in the long term.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't know. We've always played the back-ups.

Oct 1, 2024, 3:45 PM

Defense has played really good for a quarter. Really good for a half. No more than that.

They have a lot to prove, but I think that will serve them well.

Not in the last few years we haven't. That was one of the problems we had

Oct 1, 2024, 3:39 PM [ in reply to I don't know. We've always played the back-ups. ]

developing depth in those years is because we seldom got a comfortable lead and were just a knucklehead play from the game turning in the wrong direction.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2024, 4:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson defense ranked #101 in yards per game at 401.8 ypg ]

It’s good people think our defense is terrible. I see FSU fans saying that we are the worse defense they will see all year because we are rank 100th in defense. Hopefully teams and coaches feel the same way!

Oct 1, 2024, 3:11 PM

This defense doesn't seem to get in the opponents backfield like past defenses.
It seems when they blitz they never get there. Lukus worries me at CB. Hopefully they will improve as the season progresses.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Clemson defense hasn't been dominating - but they're not #101 bad. My

Oct 1, 2024, 3:30 PM

quick math shows that if we left our starters in for just the 4th quarter of the NCState game - we'd be #79. I'm sure it's hard to keep your edge when you're up by 35 in the 1st quarter (App State) as well.

The Tigers do seem to lack depth.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Clemson defense hasn't been dominating - but they're not #101 bad. My

Oct 1, 2024, 3:35 PM

This appears to be the issue, yes. And thx for crunching the numbers.

Screw Calford.

Oct 1, 2024, 4:04 PM

Wonder when the last time we averaged allowing over 400 yards per game? That's pretty high. We played a lot of backups in years passed, including the elite years, but never gave up that much.

Dabo is a big analytics guy. He knows these stats and I'm sure he's on Wes rearend.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2024, 4:29 PM

Dabo better be on Wes' rear end. That poor exhibition against NC State in the 2nd half was high schooly.
Seneca HS could have moved the ball on that defense.

Let's be honest here...

Oct 1, 2024, 4:15 PM

That's largely because Dabo cleared the bench against App State, NC State, and Stanford. It was the 2s, 3s, and 4s that got torched defensively. The stats for the first team are significantly better (probably top 15). That stat is incredibly misleading.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Oct 1, 2024, 4:19 PM

We have a chance to improve on those stats Saturday...

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The rating disrespects the Clemson Defense Starters

Oct 1, 2024, 4:23 PM

As good as they have been, we're #101 does not have a ring to it.

The drop-off between 1's & 2's and then 2's & 3's is as massive as it's ever been.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2024, 4:24 PM

I'd have to agree about our defense. Wes Goodwin is NOT Brent Venables to say the least. We'll eventually have to change DC's in the near future. Riley has stepped it up, per se, but he'll have to continue to go deep to the playmakers. His (Goodwin's) best defensive coaching came against Georgia in the first half, and that's it. That stat (ranked #101) is definitely disturbing. He's not getting the most out the defensive talent he has.

Oct 1, 2024, 5:11 PM

Goodwin has played every single defensive player he has, and starters have played 11 out of 16 quarters. Starting defense is good, do not be fooled by inflated numbers from CDS playing over 100 players as he likes to do. Meaningful snaps, not just kneeling or last possession crap.

Goodwin may not be Venables, but he is doing a great job. Bend but do not break was BV, and here is Wes doing much of the same style. Defense comes up big when needed, which is name of game. Score points and hold opponent down. I believe the starters have given up 21 or 28 points since the Georgia game which is 1 TD per game pretty much. Not bad

Oct 1, 2024, 4:34 PM

Yep, got to get better. Not even the top 6 in the ACC. Link:

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

Oct 1, 2024, 4:53 PM

User Logo
PACIFIC BEACH TIGER®
CU Medallion [20257]
TigerPulse: 100%
Clems­on defense ranked #101 in yards per game at 401.8 ypg 2
Oct 1, 2024, 3:00 PM

I am glad our offense has come to life this year because our defense is not playing well.

I know Woods being out isn't helping, but being ranked this low in ypg is concerning to say the least.

THE IDIOTS ON THIS SITE ARE BEYOND THE PALE. MAYBE YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THE STATS WHEN THE ACTUAL STARTERS ARE IN THE GAME. WE LEAD NCS 52-7 WITH THE STARTERS IN. LEAD STANFORD 40-7 WITH THE STARTERS IN. MIGHT AS WELL FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO B!TCH ABOUT.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2024, 5:06 PM

Take out garbage time, it is right at 300 yards per game.

To your point, our defense is not as deep as in years past. Second team is a big drop, which is somewhat natural unless you have top level talent as starters.

When your 2nd/3rd and 4th string has played the equivalent of an entire game and our Tigers are only 4 games into the season. That is a lot of football and why our 1st team, as seen against Georgia for 1 half of football, is actually VERY good. Some missed assignments/edge control/gap integrity has been a little off indeed, but plenty of time and games left to get these guys into top shape.

Really need Peter Woods on the field. He is a huge difference maker.

Replies: 30
| visibility 2031
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next