Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Challenging Clover
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 11
| visibility 1169

Challenging Clover

Oct 3, 2024, 4:22 PM

Took my first walk in the neighbored today.
Lots of folks walk and jog here. There are lots of tuff hills to attack one's heart, but it is fairly safe otherwise.

Over the years shape up every decade to race my peers a few times. My goal is to challenge them again as an octogenarian.

I am very fat, very happy, been waiting on the Summer heat to break as these days my heart beat goes wild just brushing my teeth using an electric tooth brush.
I am in pitiful shape, way north of 200 pounds (just ordered a scale).

I got in a new watch that records all kinds of things (time, pace, distance, heart rate, stride length, vertical lift, etc).
Today's stats on my first outing:
Distance-2.05miles Pace-15:48 Ascent-174' AVG HR-> 127 High->147

Don't make fun, the only stat that counts is I got out the door to work my legs a little.

I'll try to get in 10 miles a week until after Christmas. Not concerned with my fat. I will take that on after having fun over the Holidays, then go for about a 3 pound loss per month.

I don't give a hoot in hell as to being fit and skinny, never have. I can race and win at 180.
The deal is my huge beer belly pulls me down hills faster than skinny racers can go.

My goal/motivation as always is to beat my peers and all folks at the foot races.

My main goal is to break the octogenarian course record at the 2026 48th running of the 'Lake Hartwell ### Race'. That means beating all who raced there for the last 46 years. All the best from from SC and Georgia show there. That might seem an impossible goal except my yard borders on Lake Hartwell, and us few RedNecks around here can do things.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the tug abides

Scared me there for a minute

Oct 3, 2024, 5:04 PM

Not sure reference was to me after reading the entire thing. I will never win a race - fortunate to walk with a limp and happy to be down to 185 and holding. Good luck with your plan- hope you reach your goal ahead schedule!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

reach your goal ahead schedule!

Oct 3, 2024, 5:17 PM

That is not possible as the race don't start until May 2026.

The hidden point here is sudden weigh loss and sudden fitness is a myth.
Don't be in a hurry, get a long term "reasonable" goal and expect set backs that will test you.
"Endeavor to Persevere"

the tug abides

Re: reach your goal ahead schedule!

Oct 3, 2024, 5:40 PM

go Tug! Agree have to put the time and effort in. As we age, we put on 2 pounds month due to inactivity etc. then in. Year we are 20+ pounds heavier and think of we just drink water and run for a few weeks we will drop the weight.

It don’t work like that. Have to drop it the same way we let it get there. I call it LSD long slow distance…. With consistency.

consistency

Oct 3, 2024, 6:09 PM

Gaining a few happy pounds is OK.
I put on a few in 2024 when I was again not homeless.

I like cold beer and too much tasty food.
No need to suffer.

A myth is exercise is the key to weight loss. People interpret that wrong. Doing 10 miles a day or 2 hour gym workouts everyday can help, but a walk around the park does not.

Best may be not be concerned as to weight. Exercise more, show some restraint as to diet and all will eventually be good.

the tug abides

I like cold beer and too much tasty food.

Oct 3, 2024, 7:20 PM

During my annual doctor appointment a couple of weeks ago, she was asking a bunch of questions and said “ok, how about your diet?” I responded that diet is a four letter word. I thought she was going to fall off her stool laughing. I love to eat and after working for almost 40 years in the food and dairy industry, I have a highly trained sense of taste. I also have a very active sweet tooth (ice cream and chocolate). I have learned that moderation in quantity is a big factor for me as far as maintaining a good weight. And for me, a little activity especially after supper, is also a positive contributor. But if they ever tell me I have to go on a strict diet, I’m in big trouble.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

strict diet

Oct 3, 2024, 7:32 PM

I agree. I am 78 and as a young man lived on donuts (cop) and fast food.
I don' think that is best, but too late now.

Like you posted - eat what you like but - moderation

the tug abides

Re: reach your goal ahead schedule!

Oct 3, 2024, 7:52 PM [ in reply to reach your goal ahead schedule! ]

And drink plenty of high quality H2O!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Challenging Clover

Oct 3, 2024, 5:42 PM

I'd suggest a cardiologist if your heart rate is going up brushing your teeth. And I'm not trying to be funny. Enjoy your posts and hope to continue to enjoy them.

I'm not trying to be funny.

Oct 3, 2024, 6:26 PM

Thanks for posting. I live in the woods and enjoy conversation with folks here.

I enjoy your posts too.

I am elderly, but due to that have a clue as to cardiology as used in training. This tactic began back decades ago with chest straps.

One year ago raced the Walhalla Oktoberfest 5K at age 77. It is a fun course, but the last mile is up a steep hill.

Here is my heart graph from the race and what it took to win my age group. I don't think an electrocardiogram where they do a few minutes on a treadmill will reveal more.

Hearts can only beat so fast. They level out as to the ability to pump blood and refresh the muscles. If you go beyond your threshold you tie up, slow and loose the day.

My heart or yours might attack us, but more likely for me it will be my Bride.

the tug abides

Re: I'm not trying to be funny.

Oct 3, 2024, 8:06 PM

Thanks, I understand but I don't know you and all the stuff you do and run etc. Unfortunately I suffer from many heart problems. That said, I'm not nearly as active as you are, but I do walk 2-3 miles a day along with other cardio exercises.

Anyway, had my routine visit in April. Resisted a nuclear stress test, echo etc but finally agreed. Treadmill for 20 minutes and hr only got in 90s so they had to enduce stress. Long story short, all techs were shocked at how much I could do. 3 days later I was in the hospital getting a stint in right artery nearly 100 % blocked.

So needless to say, I'm a big fan of doctors and prevention health. I had no idea. Good luck in your run. You got me by a few years. Congrats!

I do walk 2-3 miles a day

Oct 3, 2024, 8:36 PM

You are way ahead of my current level of fitness which is just 2 miles in several months.

the tug abides

Replies: 11
| visibility 1169
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next