Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Aggies: An explainer.
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 15
| visibility 1919

Aggies: An explainer.

Oct 27, 2024, 4:50 PM

80% of my years on earth have been spent in Texas, including my grade school, middle school, high school, and post-graduate ones.

Because I matriculated through Baylor, I went to aTm on a few occasions for various reasons. I was an athlete, so part of my travel there was due to that.

I am no big fan of aTm athletics.

And yet. For some reason, it pains me to see so many use pejorative words when describing the Aggie thing.

Yes, it's unorthodox -- male yell leaders, the hand signals, the corps, the keeper of the dog. The 12th man. Etc.

But all Aggie traditions have a reason behind them. For example, you don't walk on the grass out front of the student center. Seems extreme but, when you learn the student center is the *memorial* student center in honor of the many hundreds of Aggies who have died for the country, you understand.

I can also say with some authority that Aggie fans always have been and still are, without a doubt, some of the most gracious, humble, classy folks I've encountered both as a student-athlete and now as just a football fan.

Only Clemson fans are as accommodating to outsiders as Aggies, who are a pretty great group, as anyone who has been to a game at Kyle Field can attest.

The 12th man is real, btw. Who can forget Clemson/Aggie 2018? So loud you could feel it in your fillings.

And we had countless Aggies thank us for coming and congratulate us on a great game, even though it was a heartbreaking loss for them.

Go Tigers.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Aggies: An explainer.

Oct 27, 2024, 5:12 PM

Rainy, muddy, but yes they were great fans to tailgate with. Super nice, until that fumble through the endzone non-call. Aggies around me were not so nice after that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Oct 27, 2024, 6:16 PM

Just curious, how was that a non-call? If we’re talking about the same play, it was called correctly. I wasn’t sure, seeing it in person from that end zone, but at least one of the replay angles showed it passed over the pylon after the fumble, meaning it was fumbled through the end zone. You’re right about the ATM fans hating it though.

We had the same experience with their fans - gracious and respectful as any I’ve encountered.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2024, 6:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Aggies: An explainer. ]

Loved going to A&M, that stadium is crazy and the people are great...

Who's complaining beside the complainers?

IMHO that jump for beating an over rated LSU is absurd, but it doesn't actually matter. We just need to keep winning. Period.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2024, 5:22 PM

Go Tigers!!!

Well said. I went to two games there back in the 80s. I for one have always respected the fact they kept it A&M.

A1ASauce®

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2024, 5:22 PM

I had a great time at that game in 2018. People were very gracious to us. And I've never experienced loud like that at a game. Wow.

I thought the experience was unique, and I'm thankful I was there.

Oct 27, 2024, 5:23 PM

I like any tradition a schools may have for sports. No matter how lame it may seem to other schools, it’s what connects one generation to the next generation of fans.
Other fan bases may think running down a hill is dumb. All I know is I saw it when I was a kid, my kids saw it, and hopefully my grand kids will as well.
Traditions are cool.

Oct 27, 2024, 5:41 PM

You are absolutely correct as we had three or four different couples or groups of people congratulate us since we were walking back to the car after the 2018 game. Would Never happen after a Georgia or South Carolina game.

Oct 27, 2024, 6:40 PM

You are absolutely correct as we had three or four different couples or groups of people congratulate us since we were walking back to the car after the 2018 game. Would Never happen after a Georgia or South Carolina game.

Same for us, and we went to the midnight yell and they took the time to explain some of the traditions. I can also confirm both Georgia and SC responses are very negative. On the bus ride back to Y-beach after the 2013 win, there were 2 Georgia fans talking garbage to bus full of Clemson fans. Similar stuff several times at SC at different sports.

TU just for using Hank Stram word

Oct 27, 2024, 6:42 PM

LOL

Yep, bet their 102,000 loud to our 83,000 loud is

Oct 27, 2024, 6:58 PM

Definable by the ear especially since many Aggies there are military trained and riled up by the 13TH Man scenario and the male cheer leaders (aka: Yell Leaders).

Oh, that game was unreal super to watch and one of best and most intense I’ve seen a Tiger Team play in and our Boys stood their ground with some heroic play on both sides of the ball to get the huge V.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yep, bet their 102,000 loud to our 83,000 loud is

Oct 27, 2024, 7:54 PM

One of the best wins in the Dabo era imo. It seemed everything was working against us. Gameday, on the road, Mond having game of his career, ball travels through 2 sets of arms before finding their receiver laying down in the endzone, seemingly everyone including the announcers trying to pull the Aggies over the finish line, etc.

Just a great, great win in that environment.

I dont get why other fan bases alway hate on their traditions

Oct 27, 2024, 7:13 PM

Other fan bases have old cheers that they have been doing for years…
Rock Chalk Jay hawk
Hottie toddy
Rammer jammer yellow hammer
Woooo Pig Soieee! (I actually think that one is cool)

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

Re: I dont get why other fan bases alway hate on their traditions

Oct 27, 2024, 8:02 PM

yeah, but those gyrations by the 'yell' leaders are really dorky... IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Googling "pejorative"

Oct 27, 2024, 7:15 PM

Brb

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Googling "pejorative"

Oct 27, 2024, 7:47 PM

Was at the game. Had a great time especially since we won. Aggie fans were great host before, during and after the game. Have nothing but respect for the School and their fans. Hope we get to play A&M in the playoffs. Would be a great game. Go Tigers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1919
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next