Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
According to Ross Dellenger of Yahoo Sports, it sounds like the House
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 14
| visibility 2189

According to Ross Dellenger of Yahoo Sports, it sounds like the House

Sep 6, 2024, 4:52 PM

Settlement is in danger. A Northern California Federal Judge has a problem, apparently, with the portion of the Settlement that would crack down on booster payments to players. As you might remember, the Settlement includes direct payments, or Revenue Sharing, between the schools and the athletes beginning next season. However, the Settlement also intended to limit or eliminate booster payments to players beyond that Revenue Sharing agreement. Sounds like the Judge had problems with that provision and told the parties to the Settlement to go back to the Drawing Board, so to speak. You can read more about it in the article by Dellenger on Yahoo Sports if you wish.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: According to Ross Dellenger of Yahoo Sports, it sounds like the House

Sep 6, 2024, 5:32 PM

In a short brief statement, what does this mean?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2024, 5:41 PM

She is a 75 year old judge educated at Stanford and appointed by Bill Clinton. The agreement says each school will pay athletes directly (I believe 20 something million per school) but NIL would be monitored and based on actual earnings for the use of their name. This means no upfront payments to a kid who no one ever heard of without actual documented revenue generation for the compacting paying the NIL. This was written in to restore competitive balance. She does not seem to care about competitive balance, only cares about the players getting paid.

Would love to see the universities say no but they have no balls

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Com'on for crying out loud & go back to paying the player

Sep 6, 2024, 6:08 PM

Under the table with a bag of cash, or a new car for the season, or a job in the Summer with your Daughter as a date!

Much more fun and no lawyers! LOL~

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2024, 6:42 PM [ in reply to Re: According to Ross Dellenger of Yahoo Sports, it sounds like the House ]

The universities have no choice if the NCAA does not get this lawsuit settled, the NCAA (THST IS ALL POWER 4 SCHOOLS) will end up losing the anti trust suit and will be on the hook for billions of dollars and that money will come from each school. The NCAA is not some corporation. It is the power 4 schools as far as this lawsuit is concerned.

I'm not sure what this judge wants, but I believe the judge wants the schools to pay the NIL money in addition to the revenue sharing. The judge thinks the payments should come directly from the schools and not some 3rd party. It is more transparent and easier to control. I think the judge thought that this was the way NIL had been set up under the settlement.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

School NIL would be in addition to private NIL

Sep 6, 2024, 6:48 PM

...not instead of it.

Re: School NIL would be in addition to private NIL

Sep 6, 2024, 6:51 PM

Yes. I thought that is what I said.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: School NIL would be in addition to private NIL

Sep 6, 2024, 6:52 PM

In addition.....to.....

Good summary.***

Sep 6, 2024, 7:03 PM [ in reply to Re: According to Ross Dellenger of Yahoo Sports, it sounds like the House ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2024, 8:00 PM [ in reply to Re: According to Ross Dellenger of Yahoo Sports, it sounds like the House ]

Just how did the 9th district (worse district in the USA) end up with this case? Geesh.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I called that as soon as the proposed settlement was announced.

Sep 6, 2024, 6:47 PM

That provision violates the Sherman Antitrust Act and the injunction in the Tennessee/Virginia vs NCAA case.

It's another failed desperation tactic by the tone deaf elitists at the NCAA.

Re: I called that as soon as the proposed settlement was announced.

Sep 6, 2024, 6:59 PM

The NCAA got themselves in this mess by screwing over athletes for decades. I have no sympathy for them. Everyone except the players who were generating the product were getting rich at their expense. It was a system set up decades ago that the NCAA refused to modernize to account for the billions in revenue generated by the players who couldn't even be given a frigging McDonald's hamburger for free by anyone associated with the school. And these are the same dumb azzzzes who signed a 30 year GOR.

Sep 6, 2024, 6:52 PM

NCAA had the chance to fix this when spurrier was still coaching. I think he wanted all the kids to get 2-3k a month if I recall.

Bottom line is the smart people in the room went on vacation and now the whole game is tarnished. Not the same product. Get paid don’t get paid. Whatever. Spot the ball. I pay enough money through my tv advertising watching i do on Saturday. Got more Dr Pepper and bk have it your way in my house than ever before.

Oh btw. This seasons outlook for dubs. Expect every game to be close or a loss. If we win, it’s so much better feeling.

Nil is crazy and they are all taking advantage of it.

Tarnished?

Sep 6, 2024, 7:48 PM

The tarnish is on the NCAA for their illegal exploitation.

Sep 6, 2024, 7:32 PM

To attorneys, the judge’s hesitation and angst around points of the settlement pertaining to 3rd party money are expected. When I read the proposed settlement terms, I laughed. Plaintiffs are just ready to get paid now (along with their lawyers) and the Defendants are trying to stop the bleeding. The proposal holds no water and will get blown up if challenged. The NCAA is a defunct org as it relates to P4 football. This is not a news flash. Believe it or not, the law and businesses like the concept of free commerce and private parties being able to enter into contracts as do most people on this board. Sports journalists are pretty much clueless on analyzing these types of legal topics.

Replies: 14
| visibility 2189
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next