Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A Marshall Plan needs to be done
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 42
| visibility 4316

A Marshall Plan needs to be done

Oct 1, 2024, 7:21 AM

For Western North Carolina. This is a All Hands On Deck situation.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Western NC has catastrophic damage and needs all hand on deck

Oct 1, 2024, 8:05 AM

to help rescue people and get them to safety.
to get supplies, especially medication & food.

This situation is only going to get worse in the coming weeks/months with the water systems compromised. Really no need to tell everyone how devastating this will be considering the loss of human life and massive amounts of wildlife (estimates in the 100's of thousands on livestock lost that never had a chance). It is not even conceivable what they are enduring and my heart goes out to each of them.

Prayers for everyone that lives there, is working to help those who live there and those who are donating to help the efforts. This is where the unity of humanity can make a difference.

Re: Western NC has catastrophic damage and needs all hand on deck

Oct 1, 2024, 1:24 PM

My understanding is that the bulk of material and people were focused on Florida which was based on very reasonable facts and assumptions. Moving things will take more time than anyone wants but I've no is how it might be sped up. I know private resources are already under way but progress will be slow as there is so much devastation. Those of us who are able might consider making donations, I know we're I among those from the area I'd be grateful no matter where the assistance came from.

Re: Western NC has catastrophic damage and needs all hand on deck

Oct 1, 2024, 2:36 PM

Amen to that. If you can even fathom putting yourself in the shoes of those who are dealing with such utter destruction I think most would happily donate to any relief efforts.

I do not believe anyone could have imagined this scenario, and if they did maybe they should be who we listen to more often. Unreal, completely unreal.

Re: A Marshall Plan needs to be done

Oct 1, 2024, 8:51 AM

What makes you think that isn't being done? The president and gov have declared it an emergency and deployed every tool they have...

People there on the ground are saying otherwise

Oct 1, 2024, 10:20 AM

Locals have taken to social media saying the federal government isn't hardly doing anything there and that is has been mostly local efforts.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: People there on the ground are saying otherwise

Oct 1, 2024, 10:52 AM

Meh just because some people haven’t seen them doesn’t mean they aren’t involved. Appearances are often deceiving.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh I'm sure they're there but to what degree

Oct 1, 2024, 11:08 AM

nearly every video i've seen of helicopters combing the area and rescuing has been privately owned or commercial.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And I've seen dozens of military helicopters heading west over my house

Oct 1, 2024, 11:58 AM

People are gonna see what fits their narrative.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And I've seen dozens of military helicopters heading west over my house

Oct 1, 2024, 4:18 PM

Re: And I've seen dozens of military helicopters heading west over my house

Oct 1, 2024, 4:36 PM

I'm glad those folks are doing what they can to help, but 1 Chinook is probably worth 10 of those civilian choppers in terms of carrying capacity.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not necessarily.

Oct 1, 2024, 4:57 PM

Chinooks require much larger landing zones than do the smaller civilian helicopters.

A lot of the places they would ordinarily land are compromised.and unusable.

The Asheville airport was reopened strictly for supplies runs.

Oct 1, 2024, 5:14 PM

(Not for commercial flights.)

I assume that's providing the necessary space for landing aircrafts.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good luck getting those supplies where the roads are out.

Oct 1, 2024, 5:34 PM

I'm talking about direct help of supplies to where they are needed.

The Air Guard is using C-130's to bring large amounts of cargo to AVL. They don't need to use helicopters for that.

Oct 1, 2024, 1:26 PM [ in reply to People there on the ground are saying otherwise ]

It’s sad that people will even lie about this type of situation to try to politicize it. National Guard has been deployed and is helping the residents of North Carolina.

What I’d like to see is one of these billionaires like Besos or Musk step up and make a donation to help these poor people who are suffering. They could each donate 1 billion and never miss it. It would help thousands of people recover. I have donated to the Red Cross, but can only give a tiny fraction of what these guys can.

Oct 1, 2024, 1:38 PM

We don't need billionaires to donate anything. What about the billions we send and continue to send to other countries. How about take care of our people first. They won't do that because they won't get any kickbacks.

Oct 1, 2024, 3:27 PM [ in reply to Re: People there on the ground are saying otherwise ]

I saw about 30 chinooks and black hawks take off earlier loaded down with supplies and people, presumably headed that way.

Oct 1, 2024, 5:05 PM

From where?

There's internet in the region solely due to Elon Musk***

Oct 1, 2024, 4:23 PM [ in reply to Re: People there on the ground are saying otherwise ]

Oct 1, 2024, 5:12 PM [ in reply to Re: People there on the ground are saying otherwise ]

The Army National Guard and Air Guard are state assets. They don't get federalized except for foreign deployments.

The Posse Comitatus Act prohibits active duty DoD domestic use except in rare circumstances. Thank Congress from 1878 and President Rutherford B. Hayes for that one.

The Coast Guard can operate domestically, because they are part of DHS, not DoD.

The exceptions include things that only the Navy can do like the Puerto Rico hurricane relief a few years ago, or temporarily provided electricity to a astal city.
The aircraft carrier USS Lexington (CV-2) did that for Tacoma, WA in 1929.

President and governor.

Oct 1, 2024, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Re: A Marshall Plan needs to be done ]

LOL. Good one.
Two empty suits. And everyone around them are empty suits.
Oh boy. They had a press conference! Yayyy!!!!

Why do you think people are killing contaminated fish with rocks and eating them raw?
This is horrible. Way worse than Katrina already, and getting even worse.

Which is it brochacho?

Oct 1, 2024, 12:19 PM

Yesterday the Republican presidential nominee, while visiting GA, claimed that the WH had diverted all of the resources to western NC instead of GA because it was a Democrat strong hold with a Democratic governor. Are you saying that he lied?

Re: Which is it brochacho?

Oct 1, 2024, 4:13 PM

He's never lied (rolling eyes), that's all fake news...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_or_misleading_statements_by_Donald_Trump

Only 30,000+ times during the 1st term...

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Seems to me that the president and governor of GA are communicating well

Oct 1, 2024, 1:30 PM [ in reply to President and governor. ]

...and it's the orange fear monger that's making up stories that say otherwise.

All he's doing is serving as a distraction by visiting the area. He gets his photo op while local leaders have to figure out how to accommodate his entourage while also helping people in need.

Par for the course, though, from someone who only ever thinks about himself.

Re: Seems to me that the president and governor of GA are communicating well

Oct 1, 2024, 2:42 PM

I think you will find that Trump is donating quite a bit. His mouth is not as big as your fat fingers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Duuuuuude?!

Oct 1, 2024, 2:54 PM

Lots of people have made lots of wild claims about the former president; but none as outlandish as claiming he doesn't have big mouth. He's a carnival barker.

Which do you think lies more, his fat mouth or my fat fingers?

Oct 1, 2024, 3:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Seems to me that the president and governor of GA are communicating well ]

He can keep his "donations" ... we have plenty of people around here who can practice their jumpshots in front of the cameras with rolls of paper towels.

Again, if he really wanted to help, he would stay away and let people focus on urgent needs.

Re: A Marshall Plan needs to be done- FEMA

Oct 1, 2024, 8:52 AM

isnt that what they are there for?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2024, 8:55 AM

When have to rebuild entire towns, you obviously need supplies. Let the port strike last more than a week or 2 and the ability to find and afford those supplies will be 2x as bad as during Covid

Oct 1, 2024, 9:13 AM

I heard on the news they were offered a 50% raise last night and rejected it. I have never gotten over a 3% raise in my life and that was after an outstanding review.

Oct 1, 2024, 10:19 AM

I get your point. Context is helpful in this situation.
https://www.freightwaves.com/news/some-shipping-lines-are-still-posting-9-figure-profits-amid-downturn
https://www.investmentmonitor.ai/logistics/shipping-profits-supply-chain-demise/?cf-view

Oct 1, 2024, 10:28 AM [ in reply to Re: A Marshall Plan needs to be done ]

50% over a 6-year period, not 50% immediately. A 3% yearly raise is barely enough to keep up with inflation, so it's not much of a raise at all. Maybe you should consider changing companies, changing locations, going into a different line of work, and/or joining a union.

Oct 1, 2024, 5:51 PM

You would need alot more than a 3% raise to keep up with this administration's inflation!

Sorry, they sent all that money to Ukraine and Israel.***

Oct 1, 2024, 9:22 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Sorry, they sent all that money to Ukraine and Israel.***

Oct 1, 2024, 11:04 AM

Based on pictures from Fl, Ga and especially the Ashville and surrounding area...sure looks like a war zone to me.
Problem with FEMA is that it's a Federal Government operation. I have delt with them...lots of talk and slow to act and leave before the job is done.
The US has allocated some $113.4B (per CNN) through various programs (USIA, Equipment, etc,) that they tell us about and probably necessary. Not a politician and am sure those above my pay grade are making the right decisions, but it sure would be nice if we could help all those folks in the US who have and are struggling to get their life back and will suffer for years to come.

Re: Sorry, they sent all that money to Ukraine and Israel.***

Oct 1, 2024, 3:22 PM [ in reply to Sorry, they sent all that money to Ukraine and Israel.*** ]

Non factor and not sorry. 80 percent of that money stays in the USA anyway and doesn't go directly to those countries. It goes to arms in the USA that are sent there.

Yeah, all of a sudden you want the Governmen's help

Oct 1, 2024, 11:44 AM

It is just a tropical deoression, "Govenment is not the solution, it is the problem", we spend way too much, The Private sector needs to adress this, why doesnlt the community pick itelf up by its bootstraps and stop acting like vicitims. If we send them money, they will be less likely to do the work to fix their communities. blah blah blah

2024 free_orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not to mention its usually republicans who always want

Oct 1, 2024, 1:35 PM

To slash funding for infrastructure or emergency response.

Emergency response is a legitimate government function.

Oct 1, 2024, 1:49 PM [ in reply to Yeah, all of a sudden you want the Governmen's help ]

The more illegitimate functions a government performs the less able it is to perform its legitimate functions.

Oct 1, 2024, 1:43 PM

This is pretty simple - the breadth of the devastation is too wide for any agency or government to be boots on the ground in all places. It is very clear that the National Guard, FEMA, the Red Cross, and others are heavily involved in the search, rescue, and support missions.

Just because they haven't gotten to a particular person yet doesn't mean they aren't deployed. It's just that that person decided to post on Facebook that there is no governmental help to be seen, others do the social media BS and perpetuate the falsehood, and here you are doing the same thing.

Oct 1, 2024, 1:50 PM

We send billions to a sinkhole in Ukraine, but seem unable to help our own here on US soil. Sad state of affairs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Oct 1, 2024, 3:24 PM

We realize.yoi support Putin. That is.a.non factor by the way anyway.

Oct 1, 2024, 5:27 PM

Agree. There are so many people just missing
There are also dead people not identified yet

The lack of media coverage to the NC mountains bothers me. It like they don’t want anyone to know. What is going on with that? Entire towns are gone. Come on people. That part of the state as changed forever.

Replies: 42
| visibility 4316
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next