Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Speaking of Being Classy Fans to Our Visitors...Let me say
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,865

Speaking of Being Classy Fans to Our Visitors...Let me say

Oct 17, 2010, 7:19 PM

again that I was classy before the Texas Å & M game 5 years ago while with my 12 year old nephew when we passed a middle age couple with their teenage son behind the historic John C. Calhoun home on the narrow old sidewalk leading to his private outside office.

The couple and I greeted each, started chatting...and I mentioned that Clemson and Texas A & M had alot in common...from putting out the most officers in WW2 except for West Point...having instate rivals that disliked us alot...being military schools from the outset...having an esprit-de-corp spirit...both being A & M type schools...etc.

Well, guess what! About two weeks later I read where the Chancellor (equal to Clemson's President) of Texas A & M had written to our President Baker exclaiming how courteous and friendly our fans were..mentioning several examples of friendship...(one being a senior citizen he had met who was with his 10 year old grandson; ME!)...and if he was to choose another college to pull for, it would be Clemson...and that he would love to come back...and would tell all his Texas friends about us, our fans, our school, our comparable history and our hospitality. Wow, that hit home!

So, you never know who you are being kind to or being rude to when you confront a visiting football (or other sport) fan.

In fact, after the disappointing loss to Miami I took the opportunity 3 or 4 times to tell a passing Hurricane fan "Nice Game" or "Good Team"...and one or two of them were disbelieving I said that...stuttered..and then said "THANK YOU".

Yep, I'm too nice for sure...and at 69 1/2 years old a wimp I guess...but I remember things yelled at me at Chapel Hill back in the 80's by their female students...or at USC when I attended the last big Thursday game in 1959 as a freshman Rat...or at Georgia in mid 70's when they called my Grandmother a name. Yes, every college has rude fans...even Clemson...but it's a losing proposition in the end.

So, I repeat that endearing phrase that makes us special..."Dear Ole Clemson...where the Blue Ridge yawns it's greatness...where the Tigers play". We are a great school, with great history, with great people, with great & loyal fans. Let's keep it that way, forever...win or lose.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Speaking of Being Classy Fans to Our Visitors...Let me say

Oct 17, 2010, 7:32 PM

Gave me chills, so you get a point. It's nice hearing those types of stories when all I hear at work is how much we suck (from USC fans).

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice post. The thing about character is that it...

Oct 17, 2010, 7:34 PM

...goes with you everywhere and in all situations, football, work, win lose or draw...and yes, on the internet as well. Some of the less than friendly folks here at TNET you can pretty much bet aren't just that way here; if you knew them in real life they would show the same lack of character.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent post Bill, I had similar experiences with TA&M

Oct 17, 2010, 7:59 PM

and this year with Miami!
Class, wisdom and character will always prevail!

Thank you for being a true Tiger!!

we were treated royall at Auburn

Oct 17, 2010, 8:13 PM

as well or better than A & M. very impressive

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: we were treated royall at Auburn

Oct 17, 2010, 8:19 PM

Plus, in a lot of cases how the other fans treat you depends on one's own behavior. I've never had a dustup with anybody at any gamne but then again I mind my own business.

Re: we were treated royall at Auburn

Oct 17, 2010, 8:49 PM

We also have similar stories of the A&M visit.This
weekend I had the opportunity to take one of my best friends (a MD. grad)to the game. He had never been here and was a little curious as to how well that red tee shirt would be accepted. I assured him it would not be a problem. Every where we went game day he was just in awe at the hospitality. Every time we stopped a Tiger fan would make a point to start a conversation. From the tailgate, to the parade, in the stands, back in Greenville after the game, he couldn't get over the treatment he received. He told me to not expect the same for me when I make the trip to College Park and apologized in advance. Thanks to all of the Clemson fans that made our visit so special.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Auburn was awesome

Oct 17, 2010, 10:34 PM [ in reply to we were treated royall at Auburn ]

It is very rare that you do not run into one single bad apple, but I can honestly say we did not at Auburn. I wish we could have revolving home and homes between UGA and Auburn every year. Like play UGA in 2011, 12...Auburn 13, 14....UGA 15, 16, etc.

And as much as I hate to say it, because of the hatred I have always had towards them, we were treated well at UNC, mainly after having a problem losing our keys after the game, that I have already posted about. We got a couple of "F Clemson," from drunk college students, but 95% were great. The biggest trash talker I ran into after the Clemson/UNC game, was here in South Carolina. He's a friend of mine, originally from North Carolina, but never stepped foot in a UNC classroom, or any college classroom for that matter.

Having said that, unlike in the NFL, I do not have any second or third favorite college teams, it's Clemson and nobody else. However, if I had to choose second or third favorites, those would go to Auburn and Texas A&M.

Every time I get to the Valley, most people seem to be

Oct 17, 2010, 9:10 PM

fairly freindly to the opposition. Honestly though, I have heard more and more foul language over the past few years. Maybe I just notice it more because I am going to the games now with my son.

The worst ever was the Temple game in Charlotte, when we sat in front of a group who did not know how to speak without inserting an explitive into a sentence. We moved sections to get away from these Tiger fans.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

I've had more problems with Clemson locals than I ever have

Oct 17, 2010, 9:46 PM

had with vistors.

At the Clemson -Marshall game a Clemson guy sitting right in

Oct 17, 2010, 9:57 PM

front of me about half-way down in the west end zone jawed with a bunch of West Virginians the *entire* game. When we missed that field goal, some enterprising Marshall fan threw a cup of ice all over the guy....and my wife and I and a few others around us. That poor Tiger fan didn't know it, but the seat cushion was stuck to his #### via chewing gum I guess. When he got up to leave the cushion was still stuck to his butt. MY wife and I laughed are behinds off!!!

Love your story, and totally agree

Oct 17, 2010, 9:52 PM

with your spirit and attitude. Our job is to make it miserable for the opposing team but not their fans. Have fun, pull for your team, and enjoy the people you have a chance to meet. Like you said, you never know who you might see.

For the BC night game Ryan's senior year for the division crown, early in the afternoon a group of BC guys are walking by and we start talking football with them. End of talking about most all Boston sports and they are just having a good time and fun to hang around. One guy even dons a Clemson kid's helmet and we all have a laugh. I hear one of their guys say that the helmet guy is the president of the BC football club.

Didn't think much about it until the next year when they introduce the plaque that is presented to the winner of the game (honors one of their historical players and Banks McFadden for us). The tv sideline reporter interviews the guy that has the idea for the plaque and he mentions how much fun he had in Clemson and how Clemson is such a great place to visit. I can't believe it, but it is helmet guy they are interviewing.

Those kind of fans are welcome to tailgate with me any day.

Re: Speaking of Being Classy Fans to Our Visitors...Let me say

Oct 17, 2010, 10:07 PM

I was at the game also, meet a nice young man from A&M as I came out of the souvenir shop. He wanted to know if I would be willing to trade my hat for one of the A&M hats. I agreed, so he went back to where they were parked & came back with a new A&M hat. He says he does this everywhere he visits. Seamed like a good idea. I have several now. Never wear them, just keep them hanging in the closet. Good way to meet & greet fans & make new friends!

Re: FURTHERMORE....another tale of fans being good sports.

Oct 17, 2010, 10:29 PM

Was stuck in traffic jam in mountains after a Clemson game back in 1999, and had magnetic tiger paws on car...and every time this particular car would come up next to me...the four guys in it and I would talk about football (Purdue fans they all were)...and finally one of them said to pull over a bit closer so he could give me a T-shirt with PURDUE written across it...and then he asked for one of my tiger paws off the car door as a souvenir...so we exchanged gifts after talking about our respective teams...they learning about Clemson some...and me about Purdue.

Nine years later I got to visit and saw first hand that it was a beautiful campus & school in Layfette, Indiana with an interesting football stadium and a brand new press box.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post.***

Oct 18, 2010, 12:29 AM

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,865
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic