Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I might be in the minority here, but I like this coaching
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1,591

I might be in the minority here, but I like this coaching

Jan 13, 2009, 12:10 PM

staff. I wanted Dabo to be the head coach. I thought he was exactly what we needed. I love the fact he hired Kevin Steele. He was my first choice all along. I had hoped for an experienced OC. But at the same time, I have no problem with Dabo naming Billy the OC.

I 100% believe this staff will be successful. I also believe the posters who are wringing their hands right now about Dabo and Napier will be the same ones in a couple of years scared to death that some other University will be trying to steal them away from Clemson.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I might be in the minority here, but I like this coaching

Jan 13, 2009, 12:13 PM

I would think if we challenge for a ACC title Napier is going to get a lot of calls for head coaching spots in smaller schools.

Jan 13, 2009, 12:14 PM

smaller schools ?????

Furman is not happy with Bobby Lamb...Napier's name has come

Jan 13, 2009, 12:29 PM

up. Give Lamb one more year but if they don't make the playoffs this year, then there's a lot of momentum behind showing him the door.

Napier, along with Ted Cain or Bruce Fowler {both at Vandy}, and Clay Hendrix {co-OC at Air Force} have been mentioned.

Re: Furman is not happy with Bobby Lamb...Napier's name has come

Jan 13, 2009, 1:14 PM

No way he has NO experience LOL just ask this board

Jan 13, 2009, 12:14 PM [ in reply to Re: I might be in the minority here, but I like this coaching ]

Yep. He's a rising star. I'm glad we have him.

Amen

Jan 13, 2009, 12:13 PM

But if we win and win big, they'll still find something wrong

Let's be clear....

Jan 13, 2009, 12:14 PM

I really like both Dabo and Napier. I thought Dabo was a risky hire, but I see the reasoning...

1. great motivator
2. he hss the pulse of the players
3. great recruiter
4. not afraid to get involved on both sides of the ball

I really hope he succeeds.... My question revolves around thje offensive end. I thought Steele was a great hire.

Given the intangibles that Dabo has, I would think that he would hire a top OC, and turn the reigns over to him. After that, If Dabo needs to get involved, he does. My reasoning is that the only reason we have "come up short" lately is b/c of our ineffectiveness on offense. I don't think the answer is to promote an assistant off of the previous staff.

Would I have kept Napier on board, ABSOLUTELY. I just think Dabo should go out, hire a top OC, and let him coach.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

I agree w/ York Tiger and

Jan 13, 2009, 12:56 PM

I feel that our qb play was usually a weakness this season. It just seemed that the qb's were not prepared to make good judgements in tough situations.

Early in the year we knew our ol was banged up and inexperienced. The ol improved but our qb had a very hard time with pressure. I attribute a lot of that to coaching. The qb coach is now our OC and that has me concerned.

Like York said our defense played well all year and we get a well known DC. I thought our weakest link was on offense yet we don't hire new blood to head the offense.

I'm hoping they have it all figured out and I'm sure they have a good plan. However, it still seems like a mystery to me not to bring in an offensive guru under the circumstances.

Thats cuz Harper sucks, go back and count how many

Jan 13, 2009, 1:23 PM

interceptions he had returned for tds or int's that directly led to points by the other team, it is at least one per game this year and last year I can think of a few including the VT game on the FIRST DRIVE!!!

If that's true, we should have kept Spence***

Jan 13, 2009, 1:33 PM

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Hardly....Spence's offense was pedistrian at best

Jan 13, 2009, 1:42 PM

way too many screens.....that is how he inflated the stats

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

If Harper's the only problem, why blame Spence?***

Jan 13, 2009, 1:52 PM

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

qb coach

Jan 13, 2009, 1:44 PM [ in reply to I agree w/ York Tiger and ]

Remember, the qb coach up until Oct 13 was Spence... and bad habits are hard to break.

I agree. I'm surprised Dabo didn't ask TigerNet

Jan 13, 2009, 12:25 PM

who he should hire as OC. There sure does seem to be a ton of experienced, seasoned, highly successful OC's, HC's, and AD's on this board!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2009, 12:27 PM

I agree. I really feel we have an up and coming big time coach in Napier. We all will be hoping we can keep him around in a few years, because I feel a head coaching job is in his future.

I'm a huge fan of coaches who can motivate players.

Jan 13, 2009, 12:28 PM

As long as the talent is there, the team who wants is more will win most of the time. Because of this, I really like this coaching staff.

Napier will be an outstanding OC.***

Jan 13, 2009, 12:33 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think we should have totally cleaned house and brought in

Jan 13, 2009, 12:36 PM

an entirely new staff. I am very worried that there will be too many lingering effects from the Bowden era. That being said, I hope Dabo and staff do a great job and shut everyone (including me) up. But people need to realize that our team is probably not going to be markedly better this coming season than they were last year. We still have concerns with the O-line. We have little to no experience at QB, and even if CJ returns, we have no proven RB that can run between the tackles (Harper played little and had trouble holding onto the ball, and Ellington didn't play at all). Also, we lose AK. I hope other guys step up, but as it stands right now, on paper, we are probably looking at a 6, 7, maybe 8 win season.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree

Jan 13, 2009, 12:48 PM

I don't see how people can be that excited about this year. Just like you, I hope I'm wrong, but what has really changed? We have 3 new people on staff, and in my opinion, the one that we needed to change was OC, and we have a very inexperienced coach doing that. Steele is a good hire, but nothing was wrong with VK.

I am going into this next season feeling like it's another Bowden year. I am not that excited about the change. I wish we had completely new blood in here.

is the sky falling too?***

Jan 13, 2009, 1:24 PM

no, but our football program is......

Jan 13, 2009, 1:42 PM

and people like you are too orange colored to realize that.

Doesn't it seem weird that.......

Jan 13, 2009, 12:41 PM

There are so many people who think Dabo should have hired an "experienced" OC and then turn the offense over to him? He went out and got an experienced DC and will let him handle the defense. It seems like he still wants a hand in running the offense with Napier. Wasn't one of the knocks on TB that he was a "CEO" type coach, a hands-off person that didn't want to get involved with anything? I distinctly remember an interview with TB from earlier this year when a reporter questioned whether or not he would relieve Spence of his play calling duties. Not only did he say he wouldn't, but said that he DID NOT WANT TO GET INVOLVED IN PLAY CALLING!

I for one am glad that we have a coach that wants to be involved in the offensive game plan and have a hand in calling plays. We just got rid of the opposite, didn't we?

good post and Dabo probably has more of a feel than any

Jan 13, 2009, 2:04 PM

one of how to getthe most out of what we have. It should have occurred to a lot of people that that is why we will be in th espread next yr. I think this is a great move and we definitely have the skill people to make that work. Also, it will help our oline situation by being more multidimensional on basically every play. i hate to use the Noles as an example but they will only be more dangerous w this same style because of Ponder's mobility and I think it will work well for us too.And If CJ or whoever is t-back you are basically in a wildcat formation w a true qb who is also a passing threat.

Point... you said it!***

Jan 13, 2009, 12:55 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:Napier will be at Furman this time next year as HC.***

Jan 13, 2009, 12:59 PM

Replies: 25
| visibility 1,591
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic