Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A few misconceptions
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

A few misconceptions

Dec 14, 2010, 12:51 PM

After reading the responses to my post from yesterday, it became clear that some have the wrong
impression on how us “pumpers” feel. Although I certainly don’t speak for all, I’d like to clear a
few of them up from my perspective.

First, I don’t think that there is a single Clemson fan, pumper, dumper or plumper, who is happy
with what happened on the football field this year. There are some obvious problems that need
to be addressed.

Further, I don’t think that many, if any, of us are completely happy with the leadership in the
athletic department.

The difference that we have is how we deal with our discontent. I am certainly not satisfied with
mediocrity, but feel that the constant degrading of the football coaches, the AD, and for that
matter, the University do nothing but prevent us from getting out of this situation.

I was around in the late seventies for the lynch mob that wanted Danny Ford fired. It was during
this period that we stuck with Ford and built a national power. Meanwhile. Carolina had a
coaching carousel and suffered as a result. I guess I’m kinda gun shy on firing coaches because
of this experience.

I’m certainly not saying that Dabo will be the next Danny Ford. I think that remains to be seen.
However I do think that he deserves until the end of next year before a lynch mob is sent out.

Regardless, he is going nowhere at this time, so the constant berating of him is counterproductive
to what we all want; A successful athletic program. I’m giving some the benefit of the doubt
even though I am firmly convinced that some of you are simply Gamecock fans trying to stir the
pot.

This is certainly not to say that there should be no posts questioning either Dabo or the AD.
However, while questions are warranted, the incessant bashing of both makes the board
unbearable. There are only about ten posters who make it this way, but they do so with great
consistency.

It has gotten to the point where the content on here is similar to what the Gamecock boards are
normally filled with. Some days you really can’t tell the difference.

I personally find that miserable to read, and as a result, have spent a lot less time on here than I
used to.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post.***

Dec 14, 2010, 12:53 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if this was just one bad yr, I'd agree... this has gone

Dec 14, 2010, 12:54 PM

on for 20 yrs...

the hiring of dabo isn't 1 piece, it's the 100th+ decision that has been made that has torn down clemson football

that's what pumpers don't see. They think one top 10 class is the cure and it's not. Fear has led this program far too long

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And what the Dumpers can't see is that Dabo

Dec 14, 2010, 1:38 PM

may not be the 100th in that chain, but rather one who helps break the chain. The Clemson chapter in the book on Dabo is not yet complete.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

"If I just wish hard enough, it'll come true."****

Dec 14, 2010, 1:43 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know if it will come true or not, but the

Dec 14, 2010, 2:07 PM

point is, neither do you. I acknowledge that we don't know, while you and others act as if you do.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: if this was just one bad yr, I'd agree... this has gone

Dec 14, 2010, 2:29 PM [ in reply to if this was just one bad yr, I'd agree... this has gone ]

Apparently I did a poor job of getting my point across because I agree that there are significant problems.

Just because I don't feel it necessary to berate those in charge with every post does not mean that I am content. I just think that the way that some go about voicing their discontent is counter productive, and has made this board into a toxic waste dump.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A few misconceptions

Dec 14, 2010, 1:10 PM

Ditto..Great post...I was around all those years plus some miserable years in the 60's...

Dec 14, 2010, 1:24 PM

I agree completely. This season does not end our football program. I for one saw something like this happening before the first game. We all knew the defense was sound but very few thought the offense would be. In the last 25 games the only team that has beat us and not us beat ourselves are the coots. Dabo deserves at least one more year, and he is going to get it, so settle in enjoy the Bowl game and lets look forward to "signing day".

stop whining about the whining. It's not going to change.***

Dec 14, 2010, 2:31 PM

Photobucket

Dec 14, 2010, 2:32 PM

Will not agree about blasting the AD-conference championships, various sports have gone way down since he has been at Clemson-he has beeen given way too much time and needs to go not now but yesterday.

so is the answer to make small talk until we figure out if

Dec 14, 2010, 2:38 PM

Clemson football is going to be better or worse? When is the cutoff point, when is enough....enough?

What happens next year if he goes 7-5? When is the point

Dec 14, 2010, 2:46 PM

where reasonable minds agree that this was not a good hire? Truth is I have no idea. Even if the team has another horrible year he can say he is playing a new QB (true) and has a lot of young talent (also true). I guess it would be the year after that which gives a accurate picture of where we stand IMHO

Re: What happens next year if he goes 7-5? When is the point

Dec 14, 2010, 4:07 PM

IMHO not just one thing went wrong this season. It was like a snowball effect. Mental toughness allows teams to bounce back and pick up the slack when one area does not so well. Defense was an example as the season progressed. Burn me if you like but I can't help but believe that everything is on the verge of coming together for this team. Call me a pumper or a wait til next yearer if you like.

Dec 14, 2010, 4:16 PM

> ... everything is on the verge of coming together for this team.

I've heard that phrase too many times over the years.

I don't know what Clemson embodies more: "If" or "almost".

Dec 14, 2010, 4:29 PM

winners find ways to win.

losers come up with excuses and scapegoats. Our football program (and others) need to find a way to be winners again.

Agree, but he needs through 2012 which will be our year!

Dec 14, 2010, 4:15 PM

2012....ACC champs, BCS Bowl win

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so it's wait til the year AFTER next year???

Dec 14, 2010, 5:58 PM

well, scar does have the trademark on "Next Year"

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic