Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Reasons Why Tommy Bowden IS Clemson's Coach!!!!!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

Reasons Why Tommy Bowden IS Clemson's Coach!!!!!

Oct 4, 2005, 4:37 PM

2003 – Team won 5 out of last 6 games, including wins over top 10 teams FSU and Tennessee. Also blew out rival South Carolina (63-17).

2004 – Team won 5 out of last 6 games including wins over top 10 ranked Miami and rival South Carolina (29-7).

Tommy owns the Gamecocks, winning 5 of the last 6 games, an 83.3% winning record. This is the best win percentage vs. the Gamecocks of any head coach in Clemson’s history. His teams have put two of the worst beatings ever on the Gamecocks.

With an overall winning record of 63-33 (65.3%), Bowden ranks 10th among winningest active coaches. His overall conference record is 39-21 (65%).

At Clemson, Tommy is 44-29 (60.3%) through 2004. even while trying to rebuild a program and playing catch-up with facilities.

Tommy’s 44 victories at Clemson place him 3rd among Clemson coaches, only trailing Frank Howard and Danny Ford.

Since 1999, Tommy has won 28 conference games, second only to his father at FSU.

Tommy has been ACC Coach of the Year twice in his tenure at Clemson. Only Frank Howard, Charlie Pell, and Danny Ford have accomplished the same.

Bowden coached 3 wins over top-10 programs in just 13 games (FSU, Tenn., Miami). This has only been accomplished one other time – 1981 National Championship team. (All three had won a National Championship in the last 7 years.)

Holds the 6th highest attendance average in Death Valley since his arrival. Avg attendance = 79,000.

5 consecutive Bowl games and eligible 6 times. (Thanks South Carolina – you morons.)

Graduated over 75% of scholarship seniors, never before matched in Clemson history. Clemson ranked 11th in the nation in this category.

Records broken under his watch are too numerous to mention.

Recruiting classes looking brighter and brighter as Clemson continues to improve facilities and restore pride.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But when people refer to his tenure here....

Oct 4, 2005, 4:39 PM

they use the word mediocre. Hmmmmm.....

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some people can't see the forest for the trees. They live in

Oct 4, 2005, 4:41 PM

the past and fail to look at the big picture.

Yeah, but how d@mn big is that picture?***

Oct 4, 2005, 4:42 PM

Too many XBOX All-Americans, IMO...

Oct 4, 2005, 5:03 PM [ in reply to Some people can't see the forest for the trees. They live in ]

It's so easy when the computer won't adjust (i.e., you can run the same deep out all game and throw for 400 yards and 5 TD's).

It's THAT easy... ;)

Hmmm, you must have played me before.

Oct 4, 2005, 5:07 PM

;) That's just my gameplan.

Those years he won 5 out of his last six, but

Oct 4, 2005, 4:41 PM [ in reply to But when people refer to his tenure here.... ]

what was his record in the first 5? He starts the season slow, and that's been his M.O. for a while now. You have to start strong as well as finish strong if you're going to be a top program. In other words, you have to have a complete season, not just a good second half.

romans 8:28

www.loosechange911.com/
www.killtown.com
www.letsroll911.org
www.universalseed.org

yep, it's spinning positive stats

Oct 4, 2005, 4:53 PM

won 5 of his last 6
yeah lost 4 of his first 5

I am not a Bowden basher, but I gotta agree with Tigg on this one. The rest of the stats are true and nice, but would like to see what a complete season would look like. If we did run the table or lose to just FSU I would be happy, but a part of me would also be mad that we threw away a truly speacial season by losing to bc and wake. Just like to see consistency that's all.

2nd in the ACC in wins since he arrived...that says a lot.***

Oct 4, 2005, 4:54 PM

And it has gotten us what?

Oct 4, 2005, 4:57 PM

Not even close to a conference championship. I'm not on the "Fire TB" bandwagon, but d@mn, these stats are meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

Re: My sentiments as well.***

Oct 4, 2005, 4:58 PM

They are in no way meaningless...

Oct 4, 2005, 5:01 PM [ in reply to And it has gotten us what? ]

but they are also in no way the ultimate goal for the Clemson University football program.

That's why I said "meaningless in the GRAND SCHEME of

Oct 4, 2005, 5:04 PM

things."

These things are milestones on the way to a NC.

Oct 4, 2005, 5:13 PM

Without these milestones, a NC probably doesn't come to Clemson. What they show is that there is a quality foundation in place for the Clemson football program and that we are making solid progress toward a NC. Hardly meaningless to me, despite the fact that we are still without a NC.

Also, I'm certainly not going to be the one to tell the players that unless they win a NC everything they do is meaningless.

7 years into the program....

Oct 4, 2005, 5:15 PM

and we're still losing to inferior competition. Hardly on our way to a NC.

That's such a cop out to me.

Oct 4, 2005, 5:25 PM

It's a bad loss, no doubt. It's also a bad trend that needs to be figured out ASAP. But it also doesn't erase everything positive that has happened here.

National Title winners don't just come out of nowhere. It's an arduous process. Other schools "building programs" like Maryland and NC State have had higher highs and lower lows than us. It's more like a one hit wonder if you ask me. Clemson's less dramatic fluxuations have the feel of real progress.

Maybe I'm wrong. I'll let you know in a couple of years. :)

"Cop out?"

Oct 4, 2005, 5:28 PM

A lot of us see the writing on the wall, but like you said, let you know in a couple of years.......hope I'm wrong.

Re: Yes they are. All they prove is that next to his dad,

Oct 4, 2005, 5:05 PM [ in reply to They are in no way meaningless... ]

he's been around in the ACC longer than anyone. If Welsh and O'leary and Brown were still around he'd be fifth in wins. If O'Cain were still at State, he'd be 6th, etc etc.

I totally agree.

Oct 4, 2005, 4:59 PM [ in reply to 2nd in the ACC in wins since he arrived...that says a lot.*** ]

My only point was I would like to see a complete season, and pointing out that he won 5 of his last 6 doesn't make me feel any better knowing we lost 4 of our first 5.

I never said that Bowden has done a bad job, just seems like he has been capable of doing a better job at times and hasn't always come through.

#1 reason...4 MILLION DOLLAR BUYOUT!!!!***

Oct 4, 2005, 4:40 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: #1 reason...4 MILLION DOLLAR BUYOUT!!!!***

Oct 4, 2005, 4:43 PM

YEP

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ya'll can stamp HOF on this post boys and girls.***

Good reminders. A lot more +'s than -'s***

Thank you, and no matter what others say this still trumps .

Oct 4, 2005, 4:41 PM

another close loss to Wake. It's just too close to where we want to be to bail now.

As well as why he

Oct 4, 2005, 4:42 PM

SHOULD stay our coach!!!

Many improvements, classy program, discipline on the field, off the field and in the classroom, great character, great for Clemson!

Yes, it is about winning and losing, however when you look at our depth chart we are young, have a GREAT freshman class, strong 2006 class so far, and have played great all year.

There is not a coach in Div 1 football that always makes all the right calls, even Tommy, but I will take him as our coach all day long!

While I am on it, i will take the HEART our players have shown all year. Hopefully they don't see what many idiots have been saying on this board all week!

Beat State!

COOT KILLA!

Re: As well as why he

Oct 4, 2005, 5:27 PM

you are a ninny

Re: As well as why he

Oct 4, 2005, 5:28 PM [ in reply to As well as why he ]

you are a ninny

Re: Reasons Why Tommy Bowden IS Clemson's Coach!!!!!

Oct 4, 2005, 4:43 PM

That's a little of what I find troubling about Tommy. He loves to spew stats to deflect criticism. Ford never did that - he protected the players and fell on the sword himself and took personal responsibility for losses. Players coach.

Spewing stats or displaying logic...

Oct 4, 2005, 4:49 PM

tommy knows ultimately all losses are his fault...
he is just trying to explain the logic behind his decisions, no matter what Tommy said after this loss people would be calling for his head.
And unless u r his player u have no idea if he is a players' coach...so any references to Ford in this manner should be negated. Remember, his players never give up, not on games and not on any season..so players coach or not his players have never given up on him.

Re: Spewing stats or displaying logic...

Oct 4, 2005, 4:50 PM

Correct you are. If the players didn't believe in him we surely would have had loosing seasons the last 2 years.

Re: Spewing stats or displaying logic...

Oct 4, 2005, 4:53 PM [ in reply to Spewing stats or displaying logic... ]

They quit at WF two years ago.

and how did that season end?***

Oct 4, 2005, 4:54 PM

Well guess what, he is not FORD and he is his own man.

Oct 4, 2005, 4:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Reasons Why Tommy Bowden IS Clemson's Coach!!!!! ]

He does things the way he likes and we better get used to it.

Oct 4, 2005, 4:44 PM

I agree with ya.... but it's no use. Your gonna get the typical answers...

"but we lost to Duke and Wake forest"
"Danny won a national championship"
"I spend money and waste gas to see this mess"
"I'm tired of mediocracy"
"bring back Danny"
"At least were not the gamecocks"
"7 years is too long"
"I'll put in $$ to buy out his contract"
"Real fans don't accept mediocracy"
"recruits are gonna bail"
"consistency is the key"
"hire Butch Davis"

I'm sick of the whiners also...and I appreciate posts like these. But get ready for the barrage of posters who want to debate and disprove you...even though you have facts!

point for you sir!

I appreciate your effort....and I agree totally.

C L E M S OOOOOO N!!!!

Good post.

Oct 4, 2005, 4:46 PM

I agree, not that that matters.
Tired of all the B*tch*** and moaning. Some people are not happy unless they are tearing someone or something down. Everyones frustrated, but try to find some positives and work from there.

GO TIGERS!

lol***

Oct 4, 2005, 4:48 PM

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2005, 5:02 PM

Since you have the stats Why does he lose to WF and Duke?

ZING!!! nicely done. Takes a lot more intelligence to post

Oct 4, 2005, 5:08 PM

something like that...as opposed to "Clemson sucks. Bowden sucks. Fire ______!" Excellent post.

Great Post.....too bad everyone else isn't that smart.***

Oct 4, 2005, 5:25 PM

Ut must not be onlline right now - no reply so far******

Oct 4, 2005, 5:26 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this is why we'll stay mediocre****

Oct 4, 2005, 9:54 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

your support is overwhelming

Oct 4, 2005, 9:55 PM

how about trying to be a part of the solution, instead apart of it.

how about let me have your remaining tix since you dont want to support "mediocrity". I'll find a fan who will use them.

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic