Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Best ACC/SEC Teams (Last 25 Years)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Best ACC/SEC Teams (Last 25 Years)

Jul 28, 2005, 1:13 PM
CFBSTATS.xls(51.0 K)

I got to wondering the other day - How do the ACC and SEC teams stack up against each other over the last 25 years (1981-2004)? So I began compiling data and finally got what you see here. This should separate the dynasties from the cupcakes. Feel free to express your opinions.

I've listed my opinions on all 24 ACC/SEC teams, and I've attached the data that helped me reach my conclusion (thanks CF Data Warehouse.) The categories are not weighted. Hope you enjoy!!!

I have grouped the 24 teams into 4 categories of 6 teams each: ELITE/GREAT; GREAT/GOOD; GOOD/MEDIOCRE; and MEDIOCRE/POOR

CATEGORY # 1: ELITE/GREAT
# 1 Florida State - Was there ever any doubt? Year in and year out the Noles from Tallahassee just prove to much for ACC and out-of-conference foes alike. Winning 80% of all your games, 70% of your post-season games, 11 Conference Championships, and 2 National Championships pretty much speaks for itself.

# 2 Miami - The first two were practically a toss-up. Right on the heels of their in-state rival, the Hurricanes have an unprecedented 5 National Championships over the last 25 years. What really hurt the Canes was a lack of Conference affiliation for so long and a streak of lackluster performances for several years. However, I could probably be convinced to switch the #1 and #2 spots.

# 3 - Tennessee - As much as I hate writing this, I must give credit where credit is due. A recent National Championship, the second most post-season appearances of all SEC/ACC teams, and winning 70% of your games in 25 years will get you in the #3 spot. The VOLS are for real, and they might be looking to move up a spot this year. I, for one, hope that's not the case.

# 4 - Georgia - I'm not sure I can stomach this. Alas, the Bulldogs do creep in as one of the best teams over the last 25 years. Herschel Walker and the boys of the '80's wrapped up a few SEC championships and a National Championship to propel the Dawgs into the spotlight. There have been some down years since then, but the Georgia teams of late have once again claimed their spot at the top.

# 5 - Auburn - Now here's a pick that might shock you, but don't knock it until you've looked at the facts. With more SEC championships than Georgia and just as many as Tennessee over the past 25 years, the War Eagles/"Fake" Tigers have quietly proven they can play with the best. Although they haven't claimed a National Title, last year's undefeated season speaks for itself.

# 6 - Alabama - Say they cheat, say it was all because of Bear, say whatever you want, but you can't help but say that the Crimson Tide is a great team. This is a storied program with a lot of wins, 4 SEC Championships, and a National Championship. The last 25 years have been a nice ride for Bama fans.

CATEGORY # 2: GREAT/GOOD
# 7 - Florida - You can thank the "Old Ball Coach" for this ranking. Steven Orr Spurrier took a struggling Gator program on NCAA probation and turned them into a powerhouse almost overnight! Along the way, he racked up 6 SEC titles and an National Title. That adds up to the fact that "The Swamp" ain't a fun place to play. And just when you thought it was safe, Urban Meyer looks to take the program further up the list.

# 8 - Clemson - That's right chumps!!! As bad as you hate it, you can't argue with the numbers. Like the other great ACC/SEC teams, Clemson has been a force to reckon with over the past quarter-century. Six, count 'em, 6 ACC Titles in that span. One National Championship. A slew of bowl appearances and wins (fourth highest of all SEC/ACC teams). Winning 65% of your games. Being ranked 12 out 25 years (6th best of all ACC/SEC teams). Those are the things that gave Death Valley it's name, and the Tigers their place on the national stage. Oh yeah, and one more thing - for those of you who think the Tigers have lost their greatness, please consider these facts: The Tigers are second in ACC wins since Bowden's arrival in 1999. That's right, only FSU leads us in conference wins over the past 6 years. In the last 2 years, Clemson has defeated 3 Top-10 teams: FSU, Tenn., and Miami. Don't hate, chumps!!!

# 9 - Louisiana State - The "other" Tigers and the "other" Death Valley. The Cajuns down in Louisiana are no stranger to winning. They have 4 Conference Championships and one National Championship. They need to compile more total wins and bowl wins to move up.

# 10 - Boston College - What, you don't believe me??? Hey, they quietly win games. They quietly end the season ranked. And the Eagles are no stranger to post-season play, just ask North Carolina and the last five teams they defeated in as many years.

# 11 - Virginia Tech - The Hokie faithful might not like this, but then again, who really cares? Sure, they have more wins than BC, and more Conference Titles, but they just can't seem to get it done in the post season. It seems that when they get away from the cupcakes of the Big East, they got pummeled. It's just too soon to know if last year's ACC performance was a fluke. If not, they'll be sure to move ahead of BC eventually.

# 12 - North Carolina - Before you go nuts remember that this is the past 25 years, and the Tar Heels were consistently in the top 10 in the '80's. Also remember that this is the middle of the rankings and North Carolina is on there way down faster than terminal velocity. (For you NCSU grads, that's the speed at which a falling object is no longer accelerating because the drag resistence won't let it go any faster.) They won't be here much longer if Bunting can't right the ship. That's unlikely since all the A.D. and fans think about is basketball.

CATEGORY # 3: GOOD/MEDIOCRE
# 13 - Arkansas - 10th in total wins in the SEC/ACC, two SEC titles, a bunch of bowl games, and a handful of Top 25 rankings have the Razorbacks in the middle of the pack.

# 14 - Georgia Tech - This one even surprises me. Even with a National Championship and one of the best post season win percentages (2nd of all ACC/SEC teams) the Yellow Jackets just don't have enough total accolades to boost them up the chart. Also, only winning 46% of all your games over the last 25 years is just sad. Maybe with some more fan support they might have a better total record, but their fans are to busy using protractors and pocket calculators trying to figure out win percentages. How do they have time to attend games and cheer on the team???

# 15 - Mississippi - Rebels at heart, but not on the field, Mississippi is just one of those teams that can't seem to get it going. You would think they could recruit better being in the SEC. About the only thing going at Ole Miss on football Saturday is tailgating at the Grove on campus.

# 16 - Virginia - The Cavaliers have pretty much stunk it up in football until recently. Yeah, they have a couple of ACC Championships and have been in bowl games more often than not, but they really don't have anything to brag about. As a matter of fact, they pretty much were a laughing stock until they were the first ACC team to beat FSU ten years ago. Since then, there have been high expectations, but nothing really to show for it.

# 17 - North Carolina State - If fan/alumni ego were one of the categories, NC State would have taken a spot in the top 3. However, we're only concerned with performance on the field. That being said, the Wolfpack gang in Raleigh are nothing more than a mediocre team that has a run of success from time to time. They don't dominate any single category, and they only manage to win about 53% of their games. Until proven otherwise, the biggest thing about Wolfpack football is Amato's chest.

# 18 - Maryland - I think the abbreviation for the Terps is about right - "MARY". Believe it or not there was a time in the last 25 years when Maryland was tough. They won three ACC Titles during that stint, and recently added a forth. However, Coach Friedgen has not made a consistent contender out of them yet.

CATEGORY # 4 MEDIOCRE/POOR
# 19 - Wake Forest - At least the Demon Deacs rank # 1 in one category - Bowl Win percentage. The Deacs have won all 3 of their bowl games over the last 25 years. The wins came in 1992, 1999, and 2002. The last time Wake Forest was finished the season ranked was 1992. They have only won 38% of their games. You'd be hard-pressed to find a worse team in either conference, but alas, there are 5 teams below them.

# 20 - Mississippi State - They probably belong above Wake Forest, but when you get this low on the totem pole, who really cares??? How fans mix Bulldogs with Cowbells is beyond me. If you're going to try to distract the other team, at least use something that works. I think the cowbells annoyed the opposing fans and coaches more than anything else.

# 21 - South Carolina - Is there a team with more delusional fans than the Gamecocks (or should we call them the Shamecocks)??? Preseason SEC champs year after year, they are always ever so close to beating their dreaded rivals Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, and, of course, in-state rival Clemson (in their minds anyway). And yet, they haven't managed to win half their games over the past 25 years. They have only managed a 36-61-4 record against their in-state rival, and yet they talk about them as if they are a red-headed stepchild. Starting the 2005 season, they currently find themselves in serious trouble with the NCAA which leaves everyone wondering: "If you cheat, shouldn't you win???" About the only thing South Carolina is good for is sending good coaches to their demise. Will Spurrier be next? If the NCAA has their way, he just might. Oh well, like their fans say: "Wait Til Next Year!"

# 22 - Kentucky - The only thing good to come out of Kentucky is fried chicken. Oh yeah, and basketball. The Wildcats are about as tame as they come, and are currently being embarrassed by the smaller in-state rival Louisville.

# 23 - Duke - Isn't it basketball season yet??? The Blue Devils are an embarrassment to D-1 college football.

# 24 - Vanderbilt - The Commodores suck...enough said. Maybe if Tennessee didn't take all the fans and glory, Vandy could do better.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Switch LSU and Bama***

Jul 28, 2005, 1:16 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

And add one to "61" in Carolina's records against us.***

Jul 28, 2005, 1:20 PM

Ahhh..yes. I was looking at the old 63-17 poster on my wall.

Jul 28, 2005, 1:22 PM

That would be outdated wouldn't it.

Yeah, there are two or three I would switch, but remember

Jul 28, 2005, 1:21 PM [ in reply to Switch LSU and Bama*** ]

it is the last 25 years. Also, my categories aren't weighted. I'd like to tweak it a little and add all the major conferences, but I think my wife would divorce me and my boss would fire me!!!

Very impressive, by the way.***

Jul 28, 2005, 1:21 PM

Thanks. All from College Football Data Warehouse. I just

Jul 28, 2005, 1:24 PM

put it all together.

In addition, Clemson at Death Valley...

Jul 28, 2005, 1:51 PM

since 1978 is 123-35-4 (almost 78%).

I still get a chuckle out of our opponent's talk that DV is overrated and not a difficult venue to play. Even during the West and Hatfield years, Clemson was 40-16-1 at Death Valley (71%).

Sorry folks, but the numbers tell a different story.

BTW, nice work.

2024 free_orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great Job***

Jul 28, 2005, 1:46 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Insightful and enjoyable read! Thanks!***

Jul 28, 2005, 2:11 PM

Re: Best ACC/SEC Teams (Last 25 Years)

Jul 28, 2005, 3:22 PM

What data did you use? Just overall records and bowl and conference championships or more sophisticated?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

See attachment on my original post. Data was from College

Jul 28, 2005, 4:12 PM

Football Data Warehouse. The categories were not weighted. One day, if I have time, I'd like to give the categories asome weight. Overall though, I think it is a pretty reasonable assesment of the last quarter-century.

based on the avg category rank its pretty much exact...

Jul 28, 2005, 7:58 PM

Im sure you could get more detailed but that is pretty good. Im sure you could make some changes within the categories, but the teams in each of the 4 categories are pretty much perfect. Only question is why doesnt attendance count or "top 10 recruiting classes" that would help the chickens get up higher in the standings even though they are where they need to be.

Dude, your data looks amazingly familiar...

Jul 28, 2005, 8:07 PM

I haven't updated mine recently, but darn, these things are really close.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic