Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Swofford actually blames the football schools for the new TV
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Swofford actually blames the football schools for the new TV

May 11, 2012, 1:24 PM

deal being so low. He suggested in an interview that if our traditional football schools had performed better on the national stage, we would have gotten more.

How convenient that he forgot that the reason the football schools weren't competitive is that while the SEC was busy adding a championship game and changing the face of the game, he was sitting on his butt for 10+ years getting passed by every other conference in the nation!

By the time that ###### finally got a clue, FSU and Miami were past their prime, and Clemson, well just look what the ACC has done to us over the years. All we had the last few years was VT, and he didn't even want them until UVA forced his hand!

Yeah, it's all our fault Swoffie...blame it on the football schools...you moron.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Swofford actually blames the football schools for the new TV

May 11, 2012, 1:25 PM

He conveniently forgot to mention the stain UNC left on the carpet of college football.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

May 11, 2012, 1:29 PM

You have an article citing this?

Just imagine what the contract would be without those schools.

May 11, 2012, 1:32 PM

It was a radio interview out of Raliegh...

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/audio/11078739/

I dislike Swofford as much as anyone...

May 11, 2012, 1:38 PM

I absolutely agree that we need new leadership in the ACC. But he has a good point, especially about FSU & Miami.

Think about this. We inked the deal with Miami prior to the 2003 season. They were just over a year removed from an MNC, and just months removed from an overtime loss to OSU in their 2nd straight MNC game. How was he, or anyone else, to know that Miami was going to fall off a cliff like they did?

The ACC has 12 teams, about to be 14. We need 2 or 3 of them to step up and perform on the national stage. That would help our TV money and money in general. The fact that he points that out during an interview doesn't wash away his many sins. But his many sins don't make that point invalid.

I knew Miami was done when they hired Coker...Why shouldn't

May 11, 2012, 3:47 PM

Swofford have known?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I dislike Swofford as much as anyone...

May 12, 2012, 3:11 PM [ in reply to I dislike Swofford as much as anyone... ]

No No No!!! What we really need is for FSU, Miami, VT, GT and Clemson to get the H&ll out of the acc. Then swofford can get the acc a deal worth about 12 mil a year per school.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nothing to do with UNC not winning an ACC title in 32 years,

May 11, 2012, 1:51 PM

or NC State not winning one in 33 years.

Re: nothing to do with UNC not winning an ACC title in 32 years,

May 11, 2012, 3:39 PM

Coupled with the fact that Wake has won one ACCCG in the last few years and came close to winning the division last year.

When Wake Forest starts representing the ACC as their best football team, then its time to seek new direction.

The amorphous "Coastal" and "Atlantic" divisional breakdown

May 11, 2012, 3:48 PM

is costing the league viewers and money. Outside of individual team fan bases, this alignment creates no traction, and with the additions of Pitt and Syracuse and the further mixing of these divisions, the problem is only going to get worse.

College football thrives on cohesiveness and natural rivalries. Regardless of how many times we play BC, no one outside of Clemson or BC is going to care much about this game. Same goes for us and Syracuse. Regional competition creates larger crowds and better atmospheres. Hodge podging our teams all over the eastern seaboard waters down the excitement and hurts opportunities for outsiders wanting to tune in follow the action. Were the divisions aligned more geographically, there would be better fan travel and support, better game day atmospheres, and a far better chance of generating traction among the nation's college football fans, instead of just our own.

As long as this mentality in divisional alignment continues, we'll always be fighting an uphill battle for national interest.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Totally agree...

May 11, 2012, 4:18 PM

We should go North/South.

The main thing we have to watch for is that UVA, VT & Maryland would probably scream bloody murder if they have to be in a division with all the Northeast schools.

Put UVA in a permanent yearly match-up with UNC.

May 11, 2012, 4:32 PM

The only hickup in a true North / South is Miami, which should be placed in the North, much like Dallas is in the NFL's East division based on historic rivalries. From a national standpoint though, more people probably associate Miami with playing Va. Tech, Pitt, Syracuse, BC, Maryland and FSU (permanent rival like right now). UVA would still play two other south teams each year in addition to UNC. Va. Tech has a long history with the northern teams as well, as it looks a lot like the old Big East at a time when that league was actually producing some pretty decent football games. I don't know that MD would complain all that much. They have a lot of history playing all those teams as well much more regularly than they do now.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also, if the ACC were to add two more northern schools, UVA

May 11, 2012, 4:38 PM

could shift to the South with Va. Tech as a permanent cross-rival.

Like Notre Dame and Penn State?***

May 11, 2012, 8:22 PM

I think VT is the biggest stumbling block...

May 11, 2012, 4:42 PM [ in reply to Put UVA in a permanent yearly match-up with UNC. ]

They, more than any other program, like the current alignment. They don't want to play a bunch of former BE schools again. That's just my impression by reading some of their boards occasionally.

I dislike Swofford as much as the next Clemson guy, but...

May 11, 2012, 4:14 PM

His statements are correct. You know deep down those comments sting because we experienced one of the most embarrassing moments in our history at the Orange Bowl. Not because that jackarss Swofford made a statement about the best football teams not performing on the national stage. Actually I took a very small amount of pride that he acknowledges that the "best football programs" such as Clemson, VA Tech, FSU, Miami, and GA Tech, need to perform better to get more money. His comments sting because our team quit against WVU and stunk it up to high heaven. I'm still embarrassed. It took months before I would sport Clemson gear again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Swofford Is Wrong

May 11, 2012, 4:51 PM

The biggest problem with the ACC(other than him) is that it has more dead weight football programs than the SEC, B1G, PAC12, or Big 12. Does anybody want to watch BC play Wake in an half empty stadium on TV? Win or lose, not many people care about Duke, Wake, BC, Maryland, or UVA football.

Re: I dislike Swofford as much as the next Clemson guy, but...

May 12, 2012, 3:18 PM [ in reply to I dislike Swofford as much as the next Clemson guy, but... ]

Spoken like a real coot, coot!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 11, 2012, 4:26 PM

This is the real facts; the conference does not put an emphasis on the best programs winning. I will give you several facts concerning such:
1. We should not be playing Wake Forest on a Thursday night (You never see Alabama, Georgia, Florida play Thursday night)-playing on Thursday increases the odds of losing for the road team
2. If we are going to play a Thursday night road game we should have a bye before the game
3. The SEC allows teams to schedule their conference games-this allows the best teams to set the schedule up the way they want to-Florida use to always play a easy game before the Tenn. game when both teams were at the top; this also allows them the schedule a very easy game before their rivalry game which reduces the chances for upsets
4. The conference does NOT put any special emphasis on the football schools (and they do for basketball as all the conference does is talk about UNC and Duke).

Juck Fhon Swafford.***

May 11, 2012, 4:33 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Swofford is absolutely right

May 11, 2012, 5:02 PM

Programs like us, FSU, Miami won't be down forever and it looks like we are all in the upswing now. We just had some bad luck that we were all kind of down when the ACC first expanded. I all 3 of us can turn it up a notch and VT maintains what they've always done, I think alot of people's opinions will change about the ACC when the 5 year "look in" for the TV contract comes around.

Re:I agree. That makes more sense than going to another

May 11, 2012, 6:50 PM

conference.

May 11, 2012, 7:00 PM

WONDERFUL POST!! all so true.. swoffie must go and the Clemson admin and BOT just have to get in gear!! we are behind and getting more behind every day

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 11, 2012, 7:20 PM

Did he really say that

Was that a public reprimand toward Clemson?

May 12, 2012, 9:29 AM

Thanks For the punch in the gut, John. Sure beats the slap on the wrist you gave to UNC.

Now THIS is HD at its finest!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic