Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FIKE
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

FIKE

Dec 5, 2010, 8:19 PM

Then in 1934, Dr. Fike wrote his now famous letter to Neely, stating "Last night we had a little meeting at our house and organized the IPTAY club." So began Clemson's athletic support group, which in those days, stood for "I Pay Ten A Year." At this time the purpose of IPTAY was "to provide annual financial support to the athletic department at Clemson, and to assist in every way possible to regain for Clemson the high athletic standing which rightfully belongs to her."

Nowhere in the statement above do I read anything about academics or a Top 20 Institution. This letter was written in a time where student athletes where STUDENT athletes, yet it was obviously still important to the people involved then that Clemson stand athletically at a high level.
If athletics were important to the leadership of Clemson University then, then they should be even more important now. TV contracts, advertising and marketing dollars are capable of being astronomical in the balance of power between academia and athletics not as versus but as coexistence.

The state of the department is simple - did the Director of Athletics simply make bad hires or was he handicapped with salary or other ceilings from his supervisor - so that he had to do the best with what he had.

Regardless – one can simply tell that football at Clemson University is not the top priority that I feel it should be.

Answer true or false if you have heard the following absolutely nothing to do with a college football game announcements over the PA in Death Valley –

1. Remove your trash from the parking lot.
2. Move your car out of lot so and so before you get towed.
3. Death Valley will be closing in 30 minutes.

I sense that the powers to be at Clemson wnat me gone rather than around.

My tiger football nerve endings almost singe in pain as I hear these over and over and over and over and over again.

I ask would the crowd get fired up every once and a while if a clip of The Frig body slamming a QB, or a Terry Allen run, or a CJ return ran on the video screen? Instead we get the anti litter bug campaign as if I am attending a NPR rally or the flu shot for the sixteenth time. Are we running a social awareness program or trying to win a football game?

Clemson is first and foremost a University for higher Education. It also chooses to field a varsity football team. I give my hard earned dollars to a scholarship fund that was founded to maintain a high level in athletics. I choose not to give so there will be beakers in the Chemistry lab. Academic Endowments, State Taxes, Student Tuition and Fees pay for that. I pay for touchdowns and in return, the tailback that scores them gets an education if he so chooses.

All I ask is that the mandate given by Dr. Fike be continuously met.

The leadership at Clemson doesn’t seem to be doing that. If that’s the case, then Iptay is not the organization that it was founded to be.

If the answer is IPTAY needs more money to compete – then tell us so. Plainly.

If the answer is that our Athletic Department is handicapped in anyway, then remove the handicap or let us know and our money can go elsewhere.

I’m sure Rupert Fike would say the same in his living room tonight.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post, needs a better title and more people would read.

Dec 5, 2010, 8:30 PM

nm

oh heck yeah!

Dec 5, 2010, 10:08 PM

this is what all clemson fans are really about being creative and standing for excellence - too bad the current admin is too stupid or stubborn to get it. We can AND WILL be great again, we just need a leadership gut check.

+1***

Dec 5, 2010, 8:33 PM

Navy Tiger....when was the last time you posted?***

Dec 5, 2010, 8:40 PM

Re: Navy Tiger....when was the last time you posted?***

Dec 5, 2010, 8:42 PM

Bout the same time you used a quote from a football coach that dropped by your tailgate at the last home game.

Re: FIKE

Dec 5, 2010, 8:47 PM

Can you give me the Reader's Digest version?

Dec 5, 2010, 8:48 PM

AMEN!! Preach on!

Dec 5, 2010, 9:02 PM

Yes, it's surprising that the large screen videos don't show great athletic plays..or the truth be told that Iptay needs financial help to succeed...or that our band's play needs to be bypassed with cheap, loud piped-in music...or the administration doesn't realize that spending a little more money might gain us a bowl that pays $17,000,000 versus $1,600,000...or that sports can work along side academics.

I attended Clemson rather than Wofford back in 1959 because the Terriers weren't a match to the Tigers in football...even though Wofford might have afforded me a better education due to smaller classes...but I wanted good academics & good sports.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2010, 9:19 PM

Problem is the academia type do not believe in sports...period! They wish to compete with Harvard and the Ivy leagues....and those people look down on sports...merely because they can no longer compete. They see it as a threat...and do not realize the benefits that sports bring....even to academia.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: Truth is the academia type is passive-aggressive

Dec 5, 2010, 10:15 PM

Passive–aggressive behavior, a personality trait, is passive, sometimes obstructionist resistance to following through with expectations in interpersonal or occupational situations. It is a personality trait marked by a pervasive pattern of negative attitudes and passive, usually disavowed resistance in interpersonal or occupational situations.

It can manifest itself as learned helplessness, procrastination, stubbornness, resentment, sullenness, or deliberate/repeated failure to accomplish requested tasks for which one is (often explicitly) responsible.

Thanks for the psychology lesson.....I missed that class

Dec 6, 2010, 10:48 AM

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: Thanks for the psychology lesson.....I missed that class

Dec 6, 2010, 12:33 PM

on purpose ;)

Great Post...

Dec 6, 2010, 12:00 AM

can't help but wonder who is the bigger problem, Terry Don or Barker?

If Dad were still alive and knew what was going...

Dec 6, 2010, 8:35 PM

on, he'd have someone's @$$ called out. His class has contributed as much and a lot more( lives included)as any one to Clemson.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic