Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
After reading that article again on Shaking the Southland
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

After reading that article again on Shaking the Southland

Sep 20, 2010, 11:41 PM

I feel like I have to respond.

This game was a very tough loss. But we did have the opportunity to win it. So, that makes it disappointing. Just like close loses to Georgia on Labor Day night in 1982 or TCU in 2009 they are all hard to take. But it was one of the best, hardest hitting Clemson squads I have seen in almost two decades.

Yes, moral victories are for losers. But most of us who have been around football know that adversity is the name of the game. You knew 17-0 was good. But you also knew we were going to have to fight, scratch, and claw to stay in and win this game. We did fight hard, and lost in a valient effort. To suggest we have the same problems right now (and even to put us in the same breath) as UGA, at this moment in time, is insane.

Georgia has won two SEC championships, 2002 and 2005 and three SEC East Division Championships, 2002, 2003, and 2005, as well as numerous bowl games. So, if anything, I think we want to be in a position to say we have done something first before we demand a whole bunch of changes, especially since Dabo in his first year went 9-5 and took us to our first ACC Championship game ever and has just begun his second year with a well-played loss to a number 15 ranked Auburn on the road.

And no, Dabo is not Gene Stallings. He is his own man. He is a man with a remarkable story to tell about overcoming adversity. I think that is where the connection between Stallings and Dabo is at its strongest. If you know Gene Stallings' story it took him a while to get a hang of this coaching thing.

He started out at Texas A&M but really cut his teeth in the NFL over a period of 20 years or so. Then he came in and built Alabama as a winner. But Stallings was also a great teacher and Dabo learned a lot from his former coach, boss, and mentor. Stallings did indeed finish games off once he made the corrections that needed to be accomplished with his football team. Dabo is working always to correct mistakes and to instill discipline. Are we where we need to be? No. But we have come a long way.

Our team was undisciplined in some areas in the third quarter after playing really well in the first half. Part of it was Auburn's adjustments, part of it fatigue, and part of it the learning curve of playing in a truly meaningful big-time football game. Clemson made adjustments in the 4th--something TB teams never did-- and began to dominate Auburn again in the 4th quarter especially on defense. The O-line and Ellington actually looked stronger probably because of the fatigue on Auburn's D.

Now lets talk about Alabama. Alabama at the moment is at the pinacle of college football. Just like USC was or Texas in years past. They are reeling in the big-time recruits and they are playing sound, fundamental football. Consider this though, if you use the 2008 Clemson game against Alabama as a measuring stick then we have come a long way in re-gaining the discipline, fight, heart, and a physical style of play that we cheeriseh so much from the 80's. Rome was not built in a day but we are well on our way.

And come on guys, the O-line actually preformed well in a hostile environment. They opened up holes in Auburn's D and allowed our backs to gain huge chunks of yards. I think you are barking up the wrong tree on this one. Several times we opened holes and our backs were deep in the Auburn secondary before they knew it. I just think you have an ax to grind with Brad Scott. So be it.

I saw a pretty pumped up line that played well and will give us a chance to compete for the ACC title. No, not the national title, like Alabama this year -- but like I said at least an ACC title or two (or three) like UGA would be a nice start to climbing back into national respectability.

I demand perfection too. And in a perfect world it happens. But football is like war. Unexpected things happen like the hit on KP or the Auburn pass just thrown up in the air that turned into a big play. This team will learn from it and it will not quit. You can see it in there eyes, in their actions, in their physical play. They want to win. They are going to do everything in their power to correct mistakes that they feel responsible for and they will come out the next time with a fire and determination to get the job done.

Why, after so much promise shown in a big-time game are you so hell-bent to call for heads today? I think most Clemson fans are excited about their team and coaches and can't wait to see them play next. Yes we were dissappointed in the loss. But there is a real sense that old-time Clemson football is on the rise again. Just like fans sensed it after the loss to Maryland to start the season in 1977.

Dabo has been straight-forward and has done things right and with character. I think you, whoever you are, are just putting out sour grapes because Dabo is not the man you wanted coaching Clemson or is not a so-called "big-time" coach. I am not buying most of your auguments because your auguments are not based on a true analysis of personalities like Stallings, realistic play of one team verses another, or real or imagined perceptions and qualities of areas like our O-line.

JMHO, but this team is only going to get better and I think 7 years from now if we can say we have won 2 ACC championships and won 3 division crowns along with numerous bowl wins we can then start to have a discussion of aiming toward the next level and worring if we have the right coaches to take us all the way to the NC like Alabama. But even there, a wouldn't bet against Dabo. All In.

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You make excellent points and I thank you for taking time

Sep 21, 2010, 12:12 AM

to write out your thoughts.

Reasonable, intelligent people will understand and respect your positions even if for some reason they don't agree with all of them.

The problem is that that the writer at Shaking the Southland doesn't impress me as being reasonable or intelligent. Logic isn't going to move him.

Thanks again for your thoughts. I can only think of one mistake that you made ~ You read the article a second time.

Take a couple of ounces of Maalox and get some rest.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: After reading that article again on Shaking the Southland

Sep 21, 2010, 8:23 AM

YOu make some very good points, however, you have spent too much time responding to that garbage over on "shaking the southland."

Whoever wrote that article should be ridiculed at every opportunity for his over-inflated sense of self worth and his lack of football knowledge. I don't know what game that guy was watching, but like you pointed out, I saw a very motivated offensive line who did open some pretty big holes consistantly through the game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: After reading that article again on Shaking the Southland

Sep 21, 2010, 8:34 AM

Great "editorial response" but I don't think the writer over at STS knows his a## from his elbow.

Secondly, I think Brad Scott has been the target of a lot of unwarranted criticism. Especially in light of the role he played after Dabo took over two years ago. Folks, remember how soundly we beat the coots that year?? People have short memories.

The bottom line is, I haven't seen our OL dominate (at will) a top tier SEC team like that in a long, long while. And if someone over at Shakin' the Southland doesn't see that, it means he's too young to know what Clemson football was all about in the 80's/ early 90's.

Pour a bourbon on ice, take a deep breath and relax. You are right on with your comments and I think a lot of people on this board feel the same. Go Tigers!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

He does have some good points....

Sep 21, 2010, 9:51 AM

e.g. Brad Scott and our lack of depth on the Offensive and University maybe not being "All-in" for supporting the athletic program.

On the other hand...

Maybe I am not enough of a die hard, but I just can no longer get so worked up over what our 18-22 year old guys do to get out the Sherlock Holmes outfit and do a forensic examination of the entire program every time we lose a game.

I am at the point where I need a couple of bad losses to get revved up.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Demon Deacon problems? There's an app for that too, and it ain't buggy like that yellowjacket repellant:

I'm with you all the way! Thanks for the well thought words.***

Sep 21, 2010, 12:02 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic