Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Prayer Request (A Small One)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Prayer Request (A Small One)

Oct 16, 2009, 10:30 AM

Dear TigerNet,

I am not sure why I am posting this now, but I finally wanted to get this off my mind. I have been a Tiger fan my whole life, my blood runs ORANGE. I love all things Clemson, even though I was not fortunate enough to go there, my niece will be graduating from there soon. From my username and stats, you can see that I have been a member on here a long time, but rarely post. I lurk here daily. My father also frequents this site everyday, asking me things like, "did you read Mickey's Blog today?" or "did you see that funny post by Rev Dodd?" and other various things like that where we would discuss things about this site and Clemson Football, Basketball, Baseball, etc. My parents have been Tiger fans their entire lives, from the lean 1970''s and the GREAT 1980's. I digress.
Growing up as a teenager, my father and I did not see eye to eye on much of anything but Clemson Athletics. I suspect that goes for many households. I see it played out in the movies with boys and their dads with major league baseball as well. My dad and I could always come to Death Valley and the world was right and the schoolwork (or lack of it), work, life was forgotten if only momentarily. That trend continued into my adulthood. We have always had differing opinions of things in the world, but when we come to see our Clemson Tigers play all is right with the world again. We used to shake hands when we would score, but one cold night, November 18, 2000, Rod Gardner caught the Catch II from Woody Dantzler and Aaron Hunt kicked the winning field goal over USC, we started a new tradition of hugging after a big score. This would eventually mold the father/son relationship into its present day form, proving that sports can sometimes help bond people together.
This year we were talking about high expectations at my 40th birthday party with Dabo coming in, CJ's last year as a Tiger, and our best opportunity in years to make it to the ACC Championship game. This June, two weeks after my 40th birthday, my father passed away suddenly and unexpectedly. It has been really tough, as many of you have probably faced the same challenges. At first, I could not even read about Clemson in the sports section of the newspaper without breaking down. Then the first game of the year came, and I barely made it through the first quarter. I have yet to make it through any game this year without any tears. My next quest is being able to listen to Tiger Rag and the tailgating CD I made for us that we always listened to going to and from the Clemson. I haven't been able to even look at it yet. It's filled with Beach Music (his favorite), some Rock Music (my favorite), and some Light Rock (a compromise).
Two weeks ago my mother asked me to go to the Wake Forest game this weekend and I agreed. She stopped going to the big games so that I could go instead and spend time with my dad. She goes to the "smaller games" like Coastal Carolina and the like. She loves going as much as my father and I, but gave us that opportunity to share time together in our otherwise busy lives. This game will be hard for both of us. I think if we can get through the driving part and get to the tailgating, we might be alright. I know that as soon as I see Death Valley at game time, with the band marching, the Tigers at the top of the Hill, the chills will start to crawl up my spine as they always do. Then, as the cannon booms, and my Tigers run down the Hill, so will the tears down my face. My emotions will be both happy and sad. Happy to be back in Death Valley and see the Tigers play again. I will be happy to be watching it with my mom, but I will be sad that my father isn't there to watch it with us, though he may have the best seat in the house.
The prayer request (a small one) I have for you, is that if you are there tomorrow afternoon in Death Valley or watching it on TV, send a small prayer to help me and my mom get through Running Down the Hill, Opening Kickoff, and the first quarter. After that, I hope we will be OK, and we can all yell our heads off, cheer, and show our support for our beloved Tigers (and Dabo and the rest of the coaching staff).
Tomorrow when I am tailgating with my mom, I will toast a Sam Adams to my father, a great man whose veins ran with Orange Blood, last voice might have been "Go Tigers!", and a last wish would be for an ACC/National Championship. Whenever we make a great play or score, I shall start another NEW tradition of hugging my mom and looking to the sky at my dad, and whisper the words "Go Tigers/I love you dad".

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I apologize that it's so long. Go Tigers,

TigerTrue2

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good story, prayers are with you***

Oct 16, 2009, 10:49 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Done***

Oct 16, 2009, 11:12 AM

Done!!

Oct 16, 2009, 11:23 AM

GOOOOOO TIGERS!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post. Be glad you and your Dad mended the fences

Oct 16, 2009, 11:25 AM

that needed mending before you lost him.

The only times my entire family gets together: Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Clemson football games.

Clemson football games are more than just football games.

God bless you and your Mom.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen and Amen....it is TRULY a special place

Oct 16, 2009, 11:28 AM

I think we all share and cherish bonding times with our families at Death Valley and you just made me think of every single one of them...........THANKS for that(I think)....now SPOT THE BALL

Prayers for ALL!

GO TIGERS!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No apologies necessary...

Oct 16, 2009, 11:29 AM

...great read and something more should learn to understand and love about our great University. You are as much a part of Clemson as your niece and your story is one more reason why so many of us just know there is something special about our school.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Re: Prayer Request (A Small One)

Oct 16, 2009, 2:28 PM

Thanks everyone for all of the great thoughts and responses. I was a little apprehensive about posting (didn't want to get a "Nancy", "FAIL", "Germans" response. But you all helped me by listening I guess.
Getting on here daily and reading the posts (sometimes it's a struggle to after a loss with all of the complaints), but a lot of time, you all make me and used to make my dad laugh all the time.
I'm superstitious as all get out so I am not saying a win will happen tomorrow, but DANG! it sure would make tomorrow even more special (but then again, ANY trip to the Valley to spend times with your loved ones and 80,000+ of closest friends is always special.

GO TIGERS and kick the Florist

done***

Oct 16, 2009, 2:41 PM

Oct 16, 2009, 4:01 PM

Done. I know how you feel. My dad passed away in December, 2weeks after the Clemson-Carolina game. I can't make it through the games either without crying. Maybe they are there together cheering on our Tigers. Hope you get to hug your mom alot tomorrow! God Bless and Go Tigers!

My Dad died in 1993, Clemson grad of 1951. I don't

Oct 16, 2009, 4:18 PM

get back as often as I would like, but every time I get to my seat the first time for a game, see the band (I was in the band and my Dad was very supportive), and Running Down The Hill - - I get crazy teary eyed . . . 16 years later.

It's OK . . . Clemson is a part of who I am and it came from him. It is a connection that is more tangible for me than the blood running through my veins.

Good luck - - you'll do fine - who cares if your eyes leak a little (or a lot) - - we get it.

Oct 16, 2009, 4:46 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my father 13 years ago, I was 27, am now 40. I am one of those unique women who lives and breathes football. I'm into recruiting, schemes, and everything else to do with football. I started watching football with my father when I was eight years old. I was very much a daddy's girl. I learned to love football at a very early age. The one thing I cherish is my memories with him watching football. My first Clemson game was with him when I was 14 years old. Treasure the memories!!

Done***

Oct 16, 2009, 7:27 PM

Done***

Oct 16, 2009, 7:58 PM

i will be there tomorrow with you. I'll pray for you as well***

Oct 16, 2009, 8:33 PM

There are no requests too small for prayer...

Oct 16, 2009, 9:50 PM

...and your mom is no exception.
Your dad will be with y'all with every beer and every cheer.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 17, 2009, 1:57 AM

Done

Oct 17, 2009, 3:06 AM

This is what the Clemson family is all about. You have the support of thousands. I wish the team could read your post and it would be great if we could somehow get it to Dabo. You represent what all of us Clemson fans are. People with memories of Clemson times with loved ones and friends. God Bless you and your mother.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 17, 2009, 5:14 AM

You got it and also you realize the true spirit of being a Clemson fan. No one likes to lose, but when the memories are ones like you have for your Dad....these are some of your best memories! Cherish...life is short but it is the building of memories with a lot of Clemson families that have the children returning to Clemson when the parents are gone. That is what makes it so special. I know only too well! I had that relationship with my uncle, a Clemson grad, who started going to the games with us when he retired from the military. Those are some of my best memories.
Thanks for sharing!! God Bless you and your Mom and have a safe trip!

Oct 17, 2009, 5:25 AM

done.

Posts like this are why a "Hall of Fame" was created on this

Oct 17, 2009, 5:50 AM

board.

Tremendous story....***

Oct 17, 2009, 8:23 AM

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Done***

Oct 17, 2009, 9:57 AM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Great Story

Oct 17, 2009, 11:22 AM

My Dad (huge Tiger fan) died 3 yrs ago at 88. He would always call after a win with "How about them Tigers". I miss that call.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic