Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I don't understand all the animosity toward TB.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1,917

I don't understand all the animosity toward TB.

Apr 16, 2009, 6:15 PM

The guy gave every ounce of blood, sweat and tears he had to Clemson University for 10 years. He didn't win as much or at a level Tiger fans wanted but he did everthing with class and he improved the program 10 fold over where it was when he arrived.

Why the hate?

Personally, I thank him for everything he did, wish him luck in whatever he does and am thankful we have a new start.

I don't see any need to badmouth him now that he's gone.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Keep chasing those windmills, Steve!

I agree. His own weakness was he was too loyal.

Apr 16, 2009, 6:19 PM

If he had replaced Spence a couple of years ago, I think he would have won an ACC championship by now and would still be the HC at Clemson.

I wish him luck though. He's a very nice guy.

"own" should be "only"***

Apr 16, 2009, 6:20 PM

Re: "own" should be "only"***

Apr 16, 2009, 7:25 PM

I thought "own" was more accurate - he did have a couple of others.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And you base this conclusion on what?

Apr 16, 2009, 7:16 PM [ in reply to I agree. His own weakness was he was too loyal. ]

He never won one before Spence.

My problems with TB is that we were soft, unimaginative and did not make very good adjustments in the game.

That's not all on Spence. It's all on TB.

I don't see a whole lot of hate. I think the vast majority

Apr 16, 2009, 6:26 PM

of folks had utmost respect for Bowden as a man and realize he did a good job (actually better than most every coach in our history) at Clemson. I would say it's basically only the simpleminded people who made it personal with Coach Bowden.

Scroll down the page a little bit.

Apr 16, 2009, 6:27 PM

There is a LOT of animosity toward Bowden around here. A lot of it could be Gamecock imposters, though.

Keep chasing those windmills, Steve!

I don't agree with "a LOT". I don't think the couple people

Apr 16, 2009, 6:35 PM

in that thread represent a lot, and they're certainly not a majority. Again, I think the vast majority of Clemson people respect the man and the coach, albeit we wanted him to do better. There are some simpleminded people around here though.

His best was 8-9 wins per season. That will get you fired

Apr 16, 2009, 6:51 PM

at most D1 programs, unless you have no ambitions of winning your conference or a National Championship. Tommy is a good administrator, a fine man and a good recruiter. He was out coached on the field, much to our embarassment, on many occasions. He appeared aloof and unwilling to make tough calls when it came to correcting obvious coaching problems with Rob Spence. These problems turned many fans against him and it got him fired. TDP had no choice but to get rid of him before a full scale revolt ensued. It's as simple as that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just FYI, most D-1 programs don't get 8-9 wins per year.

Apr 16, 2009, 7:12 PM

During Bowden's time here, we were in the top 30 of wins in the entire country. At Clemson I fully agree that's not good enough, but I don't think it's accurate to say "most D-1" programs fire coaches for being in the top 25% of 1-A. By the way, I think the record says Bowden approached TDP about stepping down.

for example, see carolina, south***

Apr 16, 2009, 7:14 PM

Re: for example, see carolina, south***

Apr 17, 2009, 10:09 AM

really loser? south carolina? are you ducking kidding me? turn your card in. you suck

He didn't average 8-9 wins...that was his best.***

Apr 16, 2009, 7:18 PM [ in reply to Just FYI, most D-1 programs don't get 8-9 wins per year. ]

Of course. I didn't say that was his average.***

Apr 16, 2009, 7:21 PM

"wins per year"***

Apr 17, 2009, 12:11 PM

Reading comprehension...

Apr 17, 2009, 5:37 PM

Read the post I replied to and see if you still come to the same incorrect conclusion.

It may pay to actually try to understand the subject matter a little before replying. No offense.

http://www.thetigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=7514406

That reading comprehension thing is tough***

Apr 17, 2009, 8:23 AM [ in reply to He didn't average 8-9 wins...that was his best.*** ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just FYI, most D-1 programs don't get 8-9 wins per year.

Apr 17, 2009, 10:10 AM [ in reply to Just FYI, most D-1 programs don't get 8-9 wins per year. ]

thats why as a good christian man, he took the buyout money?

TB was there 7 yrs too long RR was his sucess @ Tulane.

Apr 16, 2009, 7:24 PM

He was not a HC or did not have the guts or know how to guide a team with superior talent to a championship.

He did not dicipline the team he was just a nice guy.
You know what they say about nice guys.
He is the only coach in Clemson history that had a complete Offense line return from the prevoius year and did not win a conference championship.
You tell me.

Re: TB was there 7 yrs too long RR was his sucess @ Tulane.

Apr 16, 2009, 7:31 PM

how many previous coaches coached in the ACC as it is now compared to how it was back then?

i love how people fawn over RR but let one of his teams score less than 20 points and they are nowhwere to be found.

Re: I don't understand all the animosity toward TB.

Apr 16, 2009, 7:28 PM

If only TB could have made his players go to battle for him like some of you f@rts do he would have been a smashing success. Come on. He was one of the worst game day coaches in the ACC during his tenure, leveraged the Ark job he was never offered into a raise, and constantly repeated himself like porky pig to the media. Having him gone is one of the brightest moments for me in the last 15 years of CU atletics.

I'm also glad we moved on, but I'm curious....

Apr 16, 2009, 7:36 PM

How can you say he was one of the worst gameday coaches in the ACC when he was one of the more winningest coaches in the league and in our entire history? Are you saying virtually every other coach in our history was even worse at "gameday coaching"? When you look at the accomplishments of our program, both relative to our entire history and on a national scale, it makes no sense to say he was one of the worst gameday coaches in the ACC.

I think, clearly, toughness was the biggest downfall of his coaching style.

Check out his record against good teams. Anytime

Apr 16, 2009, 9:38 PM

he went up against a team with similar talent and a good coach, he lost the majority of the time. His gameday coaching was below average at best.

Can you please post the record you're talking about?

Apr 17, 2009, 1:56 AM

And please be sure to include a comparison to other relevant teams.

Apr 16, 2009, 9:27 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't understand all the animosity toward TB. ]

You haven't had a very happy life have you.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

Under his watch, the national perception of Clemson football

Apr 16, 2009, 7:54 PM

became that we are soft. It will take a lot of wins to change that.

I don't feel the same hostility I felt after the '02 Tangerine Bowl, '03 UGA game, the '03 Wake game, the 1-4 start in '04, the 2-3 start in '05, not keeping Meriweather in the '06 USC game, the '07 BC game, or the '08 Alabama game. But there were too many low points in his career for Clemson fans to ever see him a positive light again.

how bout that beat down that north carolina

Apr 16, 2009, 10:11 PM

issued us in 2001. Them 38.... Us....3
we took too many embarrassing blow out losses under bowden. he ran a clean program, but those boys got out "toughed" alot

You might want to choose a different example, since we beat

Apr 17, 2009, 12:04 AM

them 52-7 in '06.

That was better than the perception that we sucked which is

Apr 17, 2009, 8:19 AM [ in reply to Under his watch, the national perception of Clemson football ]

what it had been in the years before he arrived.

Apr 16, 2009, 8:01 PM

NO ACC CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!Enough said. We demand the crown. With our place and people we should expect nothing less. Dabo dont win fire his #### too. We Are Clemson. Win or go home !!!!

Apr 16, 2009, 9:53 PM

He is the only coach in Clemson history that had a complete Offense line return from the prevoius year and did not win a conference championship.
You tell me.

Of the previous clemson squads that did, most got UCS instead of GT, no FSU, BC, Miami, or VT. Not making excuses for the guy, but it is a lot harder to win an ACC now championship than it was in the 80s or prior.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guess you dont know they were in the southern conference

Apr 16, 2009, 10:18 PM

I think those team were good and that included those teams. You should check it out.

Um, are you aware that has nothing to do with the subject?***

Apr 17, 2009, 1:56 AM [ in reply to Re: I don't understand all the animosity toward TB. ]

I disagree...

Apr 16, 2009, 9:56 PM

although he helped the program I guarantee he did not dedicate himself 100% to Clemson football. I am thankful for him, I just with we would have parted ways a lot sooner. He peaked the program in 2003. From there it was the blind orange color glasses that continued to let him coach.

Apr 16, 2009, 10:14 PM

agree. What good does it do to hate the man??

Replies: 34
| visibility 1,917
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic