Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why Sports are great....quick story
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Why Sports are great....quick story

Apr 28, 2008, 10:57 PM

i had the opportunity to cover the York/Gaffney baseball game tonight. brought the lawn chair and sat just behind home plate next to two elderly York Gentlemen and a Dad for one of the Gaffney players. the two older gentlemen seemed to have ESP, predicted every pitch, error, and home runs by York. they talked about their playing days and this years' team, compared stats and had a blast. just fun to be a part of the history and fun of the game that is too often shadowed by 'Roids, affairs, and judged soley on Wins and Losses.

The dad from gaffney was watching his son play his last game, first thing he said was he'll miss watching his kid play. the kid had struggled all night, going 0-3 with two K's until he came up with two outs in the seventh facing York's star pitcher (Fuesser). Fuesser had absolutely shut down Gaffney in the opening round last week and made two Indians look silly tonight with an outstanding curve ball. As the kid fell behind in the count 0-2, you just hated to see the dad's expression and you could feel his hurt. He battled back to even the count then drilled one over the left field wall for his last At-Bat as the dad just beamed. The game for all intensive purposes was over, but you would never see a dad prouder for his son and it mattered little that the solo shot meant little in the outcome. Both the elderly gentelmen congratulated dad as he stood up and cheered his kid one last time, then quickly went over to congratulate/console his son after the loss.

i know it has little do do with Clemson, but just remember that no matter what color your team is wearing...no doubt there is a parent somewhere feeling the joy and pain through the ups and downs of a season. just a reminder that it is much more fun when you win, but these kids - Tigers inculded - always give it everything they have. enjoy the games for what they are, the great american pastime that gives a brief respite from real life.

GO TIGERS, Beat the 'Noles!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ALL IN!!

Nice post......and...

Apr 28, 2008, 11:12 PM

I wish others felt this way when bashing players on this board and in chat....you just never know when a parent or player is lurking..

but just remember that no matter what color your team is wearing...no doubt there is a parent somewhere feeling the joy and pain through the ups and downs of a season. just a reminder that it is much more fun when you win, but these kids - Tigers inculded - always give it everything they have. enjoy the games for what they are, the great american pastime that gives a brief respite from real life.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why Sports are great....quick story

Apr 28, 2008, 11:18 PM

AMEN.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

another good high school story, i play for

Apr 28, 2008, 11:19 PM

boiling springs and we were down 11-7 going into the bottom of the 7th and scored 5 to win it in the last inning

Re: Why Sports are great....quick story

Apr 28, 2008, 11:46 PM

Thanks for sharing!!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My grandparents live in York :) Good people up that way***

Apr 29, 2008, 12:01 AM

Re: My grandparents live in York :) Good people up that way

Apr 29, 2008, 7:08 AM

i am from york. who are your grandparents.

check tmail***

Apr 29, 2008, 3:36 PM

Re: check tmail***

Apr 29, 2008, 3:40 PM

check yours. lol

Mine too**

Apr 29, 2008, 8:36 AM [ in reply to My grandparents live in York :) Good people up that way*** ]

nm

Whole extended family is from York.

Apr 29, 2008, 9:18 AM [ in reply to My grandparents live in York :) Good people up that way*** ]

"Sharon" to be exact. LOL, love small towns. Good people in York.

Re: Whole extended family is from York.

Apr 29, 2008, 9:23 AM

yep, you know quality when you see it huh. been in york all my life. actually know some of your people.

Likewise...

Apr 29, 2008, 1:47 AM

After the rain delay on Saturday, I was sitting a couple of rows in front of Mrs. Hogan when Doug drilled that three run shot over the fence. To see the excitement (and relief) on her face was very nice.

Hey! I was up there with you! I turned around and

Apr 29, 2008, 1:02 PM

gave her the "thumbs up," and she was SO excited!! I was debating whether to stay when the rain started. I am glad I did.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

We need more stories like this.***

Apr 29, 2008, 8:27 AM

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

Great post

Apr 29, 2008, 9:57 AM

It's been a while since I've gotten to get on Tigernet and click on a post worth reading.

This is what sports is all about - positive experiences. Ways to build confidence and learn about teamwork for young kids, an outlet from reality for the fans, a setting to go and relax and have fun either playing or watching, etc. Amazing how stressed out, frustrated, and degrading people get related to the sports world (including myself sometimes).

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic