Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I have a statement to make about Tommy Bowden
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

I have a statement to make about Tommy Bowden

Oct 19, 2007, 8:50 PM

I have never been a big supporter. It's been clear to me for a long time that he will not get us to the 'next level'.

Because I have some years (57) and some maturity I can recognize a few facts:

- Coach Tommy Bowden has been a very positive force for Clemson University and for this football team for his tenure here.
- Thanks to CTB our program, our facilities, and our recruiting (our future) is both competitive and cause for optimism.
- CTB has represented both himself and our university well and he has a program here that has brought significant credibility to a South Carolina school (one of the highest graduation rates in NCAA football).

It is my opinion that it is time for a coaching change. The availability of coaches is, to me, the sole determining factor. But my opinion counts for nothing.

Yet all that said let me add this:

Clemson University should recognize Coach Tommy Bowden in some very, repeat: very, significant way in Memorial Stadium or perhaps appropriately, in the West End Zone facility.

We may find a better football coach but let's please stop the character assassination of a man who has given so much of all he has to making this football team great.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said.***

Oct 19, 2007, 8:52 PM

Well said.

Oct 19, 2007, 8:56 PM

I think the bottom line is this:

Tommy has improved our program in many ways, but, on the field, he can't take us to the next level where, I believe, the fans, the athletic department, and even the administration as a whole, feel we belong. I can't figure out why some people don't agree with that.

Now, with that said, I'll be cheering hard for TB and the players the rest of the way. I hope he proves me wrong.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it's deja vu all over again.***

Oct 19, 2007, 8:57 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can live with that***

Oct 19, 2007, 8:57 PM

Re: I can live with that***

Oct 19, 2007, 9:16 PM

I can live with it also. I am pulling for the team and for Coach Bowden!!

Totally Agree. Nicely said***

Oct 19, 2007, 9:14 PM

I agree with you 100%***

Oct 19, 2007, 9:15 PM

Re: I have a statement to make about Tommy Bowden

Oct 19, 2007, 9:23 PM

I apprieciate your gracious and polite manner of expressing your veiw. The venom spewed on the internet and talk shows is uncalled for and unustified. However, before I can conclude that CTB is not the man to move us to the next level I have got to see evidence that anothr coach would have a better chance. Especially this year I have not seen anyone that would be that man. There have been so many great coaches with even more talent and resources than Clemson will ever have that have lost games they shouldn't have.

I think most of error is in the notion that if we had a better "game day" coach we would get over the hump. However, the error in that is that a better game day coach is likely not to be as good in some other area that CTB excels at. The bottom line is that if it was easy to find a coach that had all the tools then everyone would be so close to equal that it would still be hard to win.

Hey, maybe that whats happening now!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Makes sense to me......oh, and one more thing.....

Oct 19, 2007, 9:56 PM

GO TIGERS!!!!

Great post. Agree with most of it.***

Oct 19, 2007, 10:08 PM

I think Bowden will turn this around, but if at the end of

Oct 19, 2007, 10:20 PM

the year, it is decided that it is time for Coach Bowden and Clemson to part ways, let this be the spirit in which it is done.

Thanks for the post. Bashers, take note. This is what we're talking about when we say that you can be critical of a coach without insulting him.

null

Oct 19, 2007, 10:54 PM

Good post, and I feel similarly.

For some reason, I'm feeling differently this year than in the 8 years past.

I had a Pack fan call me after the VT game. His comment was that there were stretches in watching Clemson when he saw brilliance, and moments later, just a pitiful excuse of a team.

I'm just feeling that what I've seen this year has been something that I haven't even seen in the teams that CTB has fielded over the past 8 years...sheer madness!

In years past, I remained optimistic with every remaining game, but this year, I'm dreading every game.

To me this is the year that will mark where CTB really stands in my opinion. If he pulls out an 8 win season, I'll gracefully stand behind him, again! Anything more than 8 wins, he will have my undying admiration.

If my suspicions hold true, this team will beat Duke, struggle to beat Wake, hopefully beat CMU, that's it!

-M

Oct 19, 2007, 11:16 PM

Totally agree, no one could have composed a more intelligent, well-thought post. I'm only afraid that a head-coach replacement would disrupt the continuity of Clemson's improvements in facilities, recruiting, etc.
Coach Bowden has prepared the way, and deserves to see the fruition of his efforts, certainly at least through the end of this season if not longer. There's a lot to be said for focusing only on the next game, but on the larger scale Coach Bowden's contributions are extremely significant compared to the state of affairs with our football program when he first arrived.

What difference does it make when GA and NC STINK?

Oct 20, 2007, 12:20 AM

GT, UGA, UNC, NC St, WF, East Carolina, Ap St all compete for the same. Those are Clemsons two main target states. They all blow or are average at best.

Recruiting is way overrated. Take UGA for instance. They've had 5 top 10 classes and what has it done for them?

Clemson does attract recruits too. Not all come to Clemson because of TB.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Post on Tigernet in a long time!***

Oct 20, 2007, 11:48 AM

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic