Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The media is really starting to #### me off (long rant)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1,097

The media is really starting to #### me off (long rant)

Apr 18, 2007, 11:42 AM

The more I watch the news about the Virginia Tech shootings, the more the idea of a 24-hour news system just completely furiates me.

I'm tired of every single reporter trying to place blame on the school, police department, or school president. When is the last time one of the reporters seriously tried to "shut down" or evacuate a population of 27,000 people? Even our own Cory Groover was shot at Waffle House a few years ago. Did anyone fuss about why Clemson students weren't quarantined in their dorms? Just ridiculous. If there's a shooting in a town (comparable to the size of Va Tech, mind you), the town doesn't just...stop business, lock up its doors, and tell everyone to come back the following day.

I even had one kid in class today ask me how the police could just "let" the shooter get away after the first shootings in the morning. I honestly asked him how he could even be serious. How many crimes are discovered, have the scene searched, clues discovered and deciphered, and a suspect apprehended and arrested in a time span of roughly two hours? It's just ridiculous and totally unrealistic.

And I'm tired of the media asking these questions with their impecable 20/20 hindsight vision. So what if the kid wrote sadistic and dark plays? Has anyone seen some of the movies that are on tv and in the theatres lately? People have to write those scripts. If anyone who ever wrote something that seemed "off" or not normal was questioned, no one would be able to get on with their lives. There's simple just too many people that do it. And quite frankly, that's part of free speech. Being able to say, write, and express what you want to. For every one person that writes something morbid and winds up committing serious crimes, there must be thousands that simply like the genre, are going through a tough time in their lives, or another completely logical reason. So what if the kid was requested to seek help? How many people see psychiatrists on a daily or weekly basis? And out of those, how many wind up shooting up schools or other public places? My guess would be a quite low percent.

What happened at Virginia Tech is a tragedy, don't get me wrong. It was a terrible day in our country because of what happened. But I'm sick and tired of everyone trying to pick apart every little detail to make them feel like they could have stopped it. This is part of life. There are good things, there are bad things. For every one day there is a shooting where 10 people die, there are thousands of days where simply nothing goes wrong. If we have been an established nation for close to 300 years, and we just now experienced one shooting where 32 people were killed, I would say we're doing quite well in terms of safety percentages in our country.

Phew *breathe* That certainly felt better :) Carry on TigerNet.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The media needs stories, and unfortunately they have one.***

Apr 18, 2007, 11:44 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

media has turned to 'sensational news'...(short rant)

Apr 18, 2007, 11:45 AM

(and now, back to doing my homework...)

simple solution.

Apr 18, 2007, 11:46 AM

dont watch it or read about it.

that's been easy for me - SINCE I HAVE NO CABLE!!!

Apr 18, 2007, 11:47 AM

lol

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

no rabbitt ears? :)***

Apr 18, 2007, 11:48 AM

why you got to be talking about my ears now? huh? lol ;)***

Apr 18, 2007, 11:49 AM

Photobucket

No wonder you post on here so much!!!

Apr 18, 2007, 12:00 PM [ in reply to that's been easy for me - SINCE I HAVE NO CABLE!!! ]

;)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

from work right now lol***

Apr 18, 2007, 12:01 PM

No, I have no internet at home either. I'm at work. Working

Apr 18, 2007, 12:57 PM [ in reply to No wonder you post on here so much!!! ]

hard ;)

Photobucket

Agree

Apr 18, 2007, 11:51 AM

If you listen long enough you also realize that they often open their mouthes without thinking about what they are about to say. Lou Dobbs in commenting on the former Chair of the english Dept. said something like "She's a talented, caring, protective professor." How in the world does he know taht unless he has spoken to her himself and knows her.

I myself have stayed away from the media on this one, since they don't really care to share the news anymore. They want to sell advertising and this type of "journalism" is what sells.

I'm not pro-gun or anti-gun but I love how the repoters have tried to make the gun shop owner feel guilty for what selling the gun to the shooter. All he did was a legal and aceptable business transaction in this country.

Don't forget, these are the SAME people.............

Apr 18, 2007, 11:55 AM

who reported that #### Cheney GUNNED DOWN his long time friend during a hunting trip!!!!!!!!

they sound alot like tigernet after a loss....

Apr 18, 2007, 11:59 AM

we shoulda done this

we coulda done that

you said it perfect that the media sees all things after they happen and think that it should have been so clear before it happened.

Clemson

They think nothing is news unless its controversial. Victim

Apr 18, 2007, 12:03 PM

stories and eyewitnesses only will keep people tuned in for solng, and then they have to create a controversy around the event to keep it going. They're trying to get the VT president fired and are hanging out the police becaues they didnt have a plan for a lunatic going on a shooting spree. If something happened on a similar campus, like our own, there would have been the same devastating results.
And on a side note tragedy has turned into another liberal vs. conservative platfrom to debate gun control and gun laws.

you do wonder though...

Apr 18, 2007, 12:03 PM

...with some of his history of stalking and odd behavior at VT why he wasn't kicked out. Not saying he couldn't or wouldn't have done the same thing if expelled. Just seems they could have done something to remove him. Makes you wonder what one would have had to do to get kicked out of there prior to this incident.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

im wondering how he ever passed a single class***

Apr 18, 2007, 12:11 PM

He was an English Major***

Apr 18, 2007, 12:16 PM

Rants r ok..do what I

Apr 18, 2007, 12:17 PM

do..just don't watch. Hard to explain any of this to any age person. I have a six year old grandson,,and he wanted to know why people got killed in school and could someone come to his school. Hard to get down on his level to explain killings..and satisfy him.

That would be really hard....I remember the OK City bombings

Apr 18, 2007, 12:18 PM

when I was really young, and could not understand any of it

me too- still don't understand it....

Apr 18, 2007, 12:23 PM

...and I was an adult when it happened. Glad McVeigh got tried and dispatched federally which is much quicker than the states usually. I suspect he was only the tip of the iceberg here though

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cooot!!!!***

Apr 18, 2007, 12:37 PM

Re: The media is really starting to #### me off (long rant)

Apr 18, 2007, 1:05 PM

The irony here is that if VaTech had done what the media is saying and targeted Cho as a possible homicidal killer they would have criticized that as some kind of ethnic sterotype.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If VT "locked down" he would have just attacked people in

Apr 18, 2007, 1:09 PM

..his dorm.

If people can tell from his writing that he was going to be a mass murderer, then someone needs to go arrest Stephen King RIGHT NOW!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The building where the shootings took place was already in

Apr 18, 2007, 1:15 PM

lock down. The dude chained the doors!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'Nuff said!

I agree 100%.***

Apr 18, 2007, 1:37 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1,097
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic