Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Where I stand
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 748

Where I stand

Feb 8, 2007, 9:47 PM

President James Barker
Clemson University Board of Trustees
201 Sikes Hall
Clemson University
Clemson, South Carolina 29634

Dear honored Trustees and President Barker,

Several years ago, you asked all Clemson alumni and supporters to embrace your future vision for Clemson University. Among these initiatives, we were asked to support the University in obtaining nationally recognized excellence in both the classroom and the playing fields. To that end, many of us have responded by sacrificing and increasing our financial support of both the academic and athletic goals you laid out. I am writing to communicate that you have lost my support for any and all future non-IPTAY fundraising until the University administration addresses several concerns in the direction of our University.

My love for my alma mater is beyond measure, but I feel that the current policies of the admissions department are changing the very culture that is the basis for my love. Clemson has been, since its founding, a university of the people. I find the current policy to be elitist, in stark contrast to the diversity that makes Clemson great, and self defeating. I find it extraordinarily pompous to tell a young athlete that they would not be successful in obtaining a degree from Clemson. I, instead, would prefer that we continue, much as in the cases of Duane Coleman and Gaines Adams, to be of assistance to young people who just need a little help to show their ability. To me, this is (in your words, Mr. President), ?recognizing and appreciating Clemson?s distinctiveness.?

It is completely incomprehensible why this administration would purposely choose to limit the football program in its pursuit of the very goals you set and that we (alumni and supporters) have supported with our hearts and with our hard earned dollars. I feel as though I speak for the great majority of the Clemson family in stating that Coach Bowden has demonstrated exceptional results for our football athletes in the classroom. Through hard work and dedication to these young men and our beloved university, they have enriched the lives of countless athletes and the Clemson community. Because of this, the administration owes this staff the opportunity to compete on a level playing field with our rival universities. This year alone, at least two potential student-athletes were told that they were not good enough to be given the chance to earn a Clemson degree. Yet, these young men will be able to prove themselves worthy to attend a school within our conference (which is a top-20 academic university) or our in-state rival. I believe this to be in stark contrast to the ideals upon which I believe Clemson University was founded.

We are Clemson. We are unique, exceptional, and diverse. Clemson should not aspire to be Harvard, Duke, or hundreds of other institutions. We?re Clemson and we should be proud of our dedication to academics and athletics. Disbanding of this ?advisory? board would not impact our pursuit of a top public university ranking.

A great alumnus of our university once said, ?There is something in these hills that brings together and binds together and holds together men and women of all persuasions, of all heights, sizes, weights, and cultural backgrounds - something that cuts across every difference, spans every gap, penetrates every wall - something that makes a man or a woman stand taller, feel better and say with a high pride to all within earshot, ?I went to Clemson.?? February 7, 2007 was the only day of my life that I did not feel this quote in my heart, due to the shabby way our university treated at least one young man who did nothing wrong.

Until we return to the concept of ?One Clemson?, I will endeavor to have my fellow alumni and supporters join me in this protest.

Don?t kill that ?something special in these hills?.

Sincerely,

Sean Muckenfuss
Microbiology, Class of 1994

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post. And true as it gets.***

Feb 8, 2007, 9:51 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FlavaDave's ChemE prof told him you are wrong*****

Feb 8, 2007, 9:57 PM

Excellent letter.There are those of us who believe that

Feb 8, 2007, 9:57 PM

Clemson is so far from it's charter, that the trustees should be removed for malfeasance of trust.

Great post...if you get a response please post it!!!***

Feb 8, 2007, 10:00 PM

HOF Post and pretty much how the entire CU family feels

Feb 8, 2007, 10:11 PM

if they can't get the job done then, sorry but you got to go!!!!!!!!!! they have lost all focus, and tearing the plans apart that they laid out!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Where I stand

Feb 8, 2007, 10:13 PM

Great Post!Its how i feel!

Nicely said.***

Feb 8, 2007, 10:14 PM

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Where I stand

Feb 8, 2007, 10:22 PM

That is the most professional and level-headed response to this mess I have seen or read to date. Please keep us up to date with any response that you may receive. Good JOB!

Re: Clemson educated, that's better than Harvard***

Feb 8, 2007, 10:26 PM

Replies: 9
| visibility 748
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic