Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
WrX? You didnt go to Clemson. Why do you bleed orange?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 593

WrX? You didnt go to Clemson. Why do you bleed orange?

Mar 11, 2006, 12:45 PM

ADD warning: LONG POST

I get this question alot. You see, I didnt go to Clemson, but I donate to IPTAY, go to Clemson homegames(make the trek from Maryland), Sing the alma mater, have a key chain the plays "Tiger Rag" so I can hear it anytime I want, I own an obscene amount of orange clothing, and talk Clemson football and recruiting at least a couple times a day. But, why am I so passionate?

The response I usually give when asked this is a simple one that makes sense and doesnt take to much time. My father went to Clemson and I have been trained since birth to love Clemson and hate all things feathered. Also many other family members and family friends went to Clemson, soooooo the easiest explanation to "WrX why are you a Clemson fan?" is simply, "Im a Legacy fan"....but there is more.

To you alums Clemson usually means a place where you found your idenity. A place where you met your wife or husband, and a place where you spent 4 years(maybe more haha) having the best time of your life ... Well the same rings true for me ... You see when I think about Clemson of course I think about tailgating and cheering the Tiger down the hill, but Clemson reminds me of a simpler time and people that have long since passed. Clemson reminds me of September afternoons sitting outside my grandfather house listening to the game on the radio(didnt have a TV), it reminds me of family reunions where at the time I didnt understand why my family members wearing Garnet always had a frown on their faces.......but its some of these faces that I miss the most.

Another reason I have latched onto the Clemson culture has to do directly with my relationship with my father. When I was young my father was a Captain in the Air Force and was on the IG team inspecting the various SAC facilities.(this was during the Cold War, for all you youngins), this meant my father was traveling all over the world during the most pivotal years of my upbringing. My Dad and I of course have a good relationship, but we dont have alot in common, and I believe that is due to him being gone when I was young(this is why I refused to join the Air force years and years agao, I didnt want the same for my kids). ONE thing that my father and I do have in common is Clemson football. Its something we can always talk about, and something that we both love.

I could go on, but I dont want to bore. It's downtime right now, so I thought I'd share a little on what Clemson means to me. This is what I plan on passing onto my kids whenever I have them. Clemson is much more than just a University to me, just a source of fond memories, it is about family, tradition, and truly about pride.

edit: My father said he knew he succeeded in making a diehard Clemson fan when at the TAMU game this past year I screamed so loud I started to taste blood .....haha

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Similar story here...

Mar 11, 2006, 12:53 PM

Neither me, nor my father, nor my grandfather went to Clemson. So I may not have the exact same appreciation as some of you, but I consider Clemson the place I feel most at home in the world, for reasons I won't go into. My grandfather got into going to football games in 1979 and by the time I was born in 84 it was a ritual to go to every home game. I was taken to my first game at 8 months old and haven't gone a year without going to at least one game in my entire lifetime (including when I was in Tech School for the AF and had to illegally drive from Mississippi to Clemson for the UVa game, the one we won in overtime on Youngbloods catch).

To keep this from going too long I'll just say that you don't have to attend Clemson University to be grabbed by the magic of the campus and people, once you've been there, you know it's special, and you can't wait to go back.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Alma Mater

Mar 11, 2006, 1:07 PM

No offense, but you really shouldn't sing the alma mater unless you go to school there or have graduated.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

says who?

Mar 11, 2006, 1:11 PM

I'm a CU grad and I don't care. The only thing I don't want non-cu grads doing is wearing a ring and carrying a CU diploma. I'm not gonna get my panties in a wad over someone singing the school song.

"Duty is the sublimest word in the English language."- Robert E. Lee
"Strike the tent." - Robert E. Lee's final words
"Better to remain silent and thought an idiot then to speak out and confirm that thought for everyone." - Mark Twain

Clemson Day at the State House:

He can sing whatever the hell he wants if he wears orange

Mar 11, 2006, 1:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Alma Mater ]

And cheers for the Tigers.

Sing it all day long man.***

Mar 11, 2006, 1:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Alma Mater ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Alma Mater is the school's "anthem"...

Mar 11, 2006, 1:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Alma Mater ]

Don't see anything wrong with singing it.

Sing it and get more of the Alumni to sing it with you!***

Mar 11, 2006, 1:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Alma Mater ]

I try to get my sons to sing it with me - at least they've got the wave down - by the way - you can wave your hand without a ring on it also!!!

Message was edited by: Beta Eighta®

Mar 11, 2006, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Alma Mater ]

I'm WrX's father, and I did graduate from Clemson. As far as I'm concerned, he can sing the Alma Mater if he bloody well wants to. Also, since he has my blood and since I bleed orange, so does he. A little side note... At last season's TAM game, when he was screaming so loud that he tasted some of that orange blood, I knew that I'd raised him properly!

Cheers!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 11, 2006, 2:03 PM

LOL

Uh oh, somebody woke up Dad LOL!

Hey - what's an air force retiree doing in Annapolis?***

Mar 11, 2006, 2:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Alma Mater ]

Mar 11, 2006, 2:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Alma Mater ]

wow you just made yourself even less popular
LOL

I really didn't see myself letting a coot tell me what I

Mar 11, 2006, 2:06 PM

could and couldn't do at Clemson football games. Thanks for the backup from all of you alums though.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I consider ANY Clemson fan...

Mar 11, 2006, 1:50 PM

just as much part of the Clemson Family as any student or alum. They contribute a great deal to the university just like the students and alumni. There's no reason that any Clemson fan doesn't have the right to sing the alma mater.

A fan as dedicated as ClemsonPoker489 could start another Clemson legacy and perhaps his children and their children will go to Clemson. They might not, but either way we know they'll bleed orange.

Replies: 13
| visibility 593
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic