Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The villan responds
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 58
| visibility 1,054

The villan responds

Feb 8, 2006, 11:35 PM

Under normal circumstances I wouldn't respond to anything public like this. Usually I'll respond if someone emails me, but before this things runs amuck:

I wasn't trashing Cliff or anyone. I simply wrote what happened - he missed twice with the game hanging in the balance.

No, Cliff wasn't the only one to blame. But the spotlight falls on you when you have the ball in your hands in clutch situations.

The lead I had planned, the one where he hit both free throws in regulation to secure the victory and atone for the NC State failure, had to be scrapped.

Why?

He missed the free throw.

I've been nothing but a champion for Purnell and these youngsters on my show. I think they are the building blocks of a solid foundation the coach is putting down at Clemson.

But to ignore the fact that he had two chances to win the game would have been to ignore the facts.

Turnovers, defensive lapses, not blocking out - all had a role in the loss. I believe I pointed those out.

But sometimes when you write, you have to follow the ball. And tonight the ball ended up in Cliff's hands.

Had he hit the layup, and I followed the same principle, TigerNation would have been praising the article.

That's fine. I know how the business works. I could care less about what people think about my writing talent or style.

But to think that I intentionally trashed a kid, any kid, in a story like that is wrong.

If I'm going to criticize someone, it's going to be in commentary form, with my name on it, and with no misunderstanding about how I feel and why I feel that way.

I'm only sorry I won't be on the air tomorrow to face any phone calls you might have for me. Instead, I'll be traveling to Virginia Tech to broadcast the women's game.

You can call my show Friday, or you can email or T-mail me if you like.

I'll answer them all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ah dont worry about it Dan

Feb 8, 2006, 11:36 PM

If its not you, its Mickey Plyler, or Scott Rhymer, or Roy Philpot, or *insert name here*....some people just wanna complain....i really didnt have a problem with the article but tahts just me

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS

You should read TI's article. yours is trash***

Feb 8, 2006, 11:36 PM

pretty much exactly what i've been telling them***

Feb 8, 2006, 11:37 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I actually am leaning toward agreeing with you, Dan.

I don't know how much this Gamecock's opinion means to you. I didn't interpret the article badly. I also respect you responding to your critics here.

2008_pickem_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have no problems with your article. Thanks.***

Thanks for responding

The article is factually correct, but said in a bad way in my opinion. I personally think there was a nicer way to say it, but I'm also not a reporter. I know you didn't mean it in a bad way; maybe you wrote it while you were angry about the loss. But either way, thanks for responding.

Classier than mine...:-)***

Feb 8, 2006, 11:38 PM

Pawprinter SEE THIS POST.

Feb 8, 2006, 11:38 PM [ in reply to Thanks for responding ]

Please try to be more mature, like OOMM here.

Tell that to Cliff***

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Excuse me? I don't go down to your work and tell you how to flip the burger!"

It's poorly written, Dan. Put yourself in his shoes.***

Cliff is a classy guy ...

Feb 8, 2006, 11:39 PM

He'd tell you the same thing Dan stated. He had a chance to close the deal and did not.

Was our loss all his fault? No way!

He was laying on the floor with his head in his hands after

Feb 8, 2006, 11:43 PM

the game. I don't think he wants to read what Dan is writing right about now.

Nobody is denying the situation, but there are more tactful ways to handle writing about it.

The lead-in is poorly written.

but hes probably not going to see it

Feb 8, 2006, 11:44 PM

so whats the big deal?

GO TIGERS

I disagree. Most young people surf the net and most athletes

Feb 8, 2006, 11:46 PM

read articles about their games, etc.

perhaps

Feb 8, 2006, 11:48 PM

but maybe itll #### him off and make him want to do better?

GO TIGERS

I'm sure he is doing the very best he can. Surely you don't

Feb 8, 2006, 11:50 PM

think this is a motivational issue and Dan's article is somehow going to help?

No, just trying to find the bright side

I'm afriad there is none however.

GO TIGERS

I hear ya.***

Feb 8, 2006, 11:51 PM

I doubt Cliff will give two farts to the wind about

Feb 8, 2006, 11:45 PM [ in reply to He was laying on the floor with his head in his hands after ]

what was written about him on tigernet.com.

How is TNet different than any other media source?***

Feb 8, 2006, 11:47 PM

This will be my last response to this thread ...

Cliff is a great guy ... a classy individual.

I doubt someone of his integrity and stature will care at all what was written about him by ANY media source.

Athletes these days KNOW they are in the spotlight and KNOW they will have to face the music from time to time.

This whole ordeal is much to do about nothing. I'm not in the least offended, and I'd be willing to bet A.) Cliff won't read the article and B.) If he does, he won't really care or let it affect him.

It was a rough loss ... but we have the rest of the season to improve and make something of ourselves. Good luck to Cliff and the Tigers. (Dan Scott is a big fan of OP and Cliff Hammonds)

Couple of things...

Feb 9, 2006, 12:00 AM

I disagree with you. I think you're way off base. I don't think you know jack squat about Cliff Hammonds, so you have no earthly idea how this is affecting him. People at a college level are not as tough towards media comments as professionals, nor should they be expected to be. Knowing he was on the floor in agony after the game tells me this whole ordeal is ado about something. Conversely to you, I would bet a large majority of Clemson students and athletes surf the internet. They shouldn't have to have their personal "failures" highlighted.

Re: Couple of things...

Feb 9, 2006, 12:13 AM

THANK YOU! I do know for a fact that the football players read the articles and things that are written about them on the 3 tiger sites.

These players know how they played, and they feel worse than the fans do. They don't need a hundred people coming at them telling them they suck etc... They also don't need it to be splashed across the internet in a zillion posts and articles splashed across the front page. It's not like they are going to read it and a light bulb is going to go off..and they think "AH HAH" They already feel like crap. Nothing is going to change what already happened. The only thing they can do is go on..and try to do better next time. In the end..it's a freakin game! People sometimes forget that and take it way too serious.

C L E M S OOOOOO N!!!!

Maybe Dan should have had his lead in be

Feb 9, 2006, 12:15 AM [ in reply to Couple of things... ]

a "feel better soon" message to Cliff?

He reported what happened. It is not his job to sugar coat a story so poor ole Cliff won't feel as bad.

Grow a pair.

Nobody is questioning if, "he reported what happened"...

Feb 9, 2006, 12:17 AM

It's called "tact". Look it up.

What was tactless?

Feb 9, 2006, 12:19 AM

Did he say "This loss falls squarely on Cliff Hammonds?"

Did he say Cliff sucks? Bash him?

No. He made made the journalistic decision to be a tad brash with his lead in because it captured (pretty accurately) the mood of the fans and the team; we choked another game away at home.

If you'll actually read the entire article, you'll see him place blame many places.

Re: The villan responds

Feb 8, 2006, 11:39 PM

Thanks Dan. I think you do a great job and tonight, just like every other night, you wrote about the big story. The story tonight was that Cliff had a couple chances to win the game, the ball just didn't fall for him. Hopefully it will in the near future and you can write a story about his redemption. Either way, you gotta write what happens! Keep up the good work.

Classy

Feb 8, 2006, 11:40 PM

We would all be praising Cliff if things would have been different. This reminds me of that comercial with Jordan, Jeter, and Clark where they all miss/mess-up. If Cliff makes either, he is the HERO.

Terrible response to a terrible article***

Feb 8, 2006, 11:40 PM

meant for bravo***

Feb 8, 2006, 11:41 PM

yours or his response?***

Feb 8, 2006, 11:43 PM [ in reply to Terrible response to a terrible article*** ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2013_bowl_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clarification: My terrible respons to Dan's terrible article***

nice response i still think you could have started the

Feb 8, 2006, 11:43 PM

article a little better

null

I think the story is

awful...you evidently did not see the players after the game...they were sick. They played their hearts out as usual; they hit the free throws better in this game than most....they again had to put up with the lousy refs.

Let me tell you something that you missed...the Tech coach slammed the scoretable...made a loud noise and only got a warning, but he also received several warning and should have been hit with a technical. The three pointer towards end of the game - #1- I think, his foot was on the line, should have been a two not a three.

This was unfortunately a game that went wrong in the worst way and for you to single out one player puts you in the same group of a Phil Cornblue or Johnny Solomon.

Have a nice life - you never made it in sports so you don't understand how an article like this can destroy a young man that had a bad night. Remember wasn't this the same guy that hit the three at the half?

holy crap... ya'll need to improve your critical reading

you're reading what you want to read instead of what is written.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, couldn't agree more***

please dont agree with me***

Re: HAHAHHAHAHAHA***

Feb 8, 2006, 11:57 PM

Terrible Post***

Feb 8, 2006, 11:48 PM [ in reply to I think the story is ]

That is your opinion, I thought

Feb 9, 2006, 12:01 AM

Dan's was terrible!

Then why no mention

of Vern missing a wide open jumper wth 10 seconds left in OT that would have won the game? Were you not "following the ball" on that play?

that wasnt the last chance we had either***

But if Vern hits Tigers win. So he failed to according to

Feb 8, 2006, 11:52 PM

Dan. But there was no mention of this. You are supposed to tell the whole story in journalism, not pick the facts that support your slant

there would have been time for VT to score again...

it's the difference between dropping a pass in the endzone on the second to last series of the game, and dropping a pass in the endzone on the last play of the game

Why was Robinson taken out at the end?***

Re: Why was Robinson taken out at the end?***

I think he may be sort of a defensive liability, and you guys really needed the defensive stop at the end of regulation.

Re: Why was Robinson taken out at the end?***

Feb 9, 2006, 12:03 AM

and maybe against us the ##### could have used a free throw or twenty,

He wasn't in the game

Feb 8, 2006, 11:49 PM [ in reply to Why was Robinson taken out at the end?*** ]

He wasn't in on defense and they made the absurd three. We didn't have any timeouts to get him into the game.

for defensive purposes...

Feb 8, 2006, 11:49 PM [ in reply to Why was Robinson taken out at the end?*** ]

also because he's not a ball handler. cliff goes in for defense at the end of games and then we take him out for robinson on offense

92% FT shooter is on the bench when we knew they would foul***

we didnt have time to get him in the game***

Feb 8, 2006, 11:58 PM

Exactly, I thought we would call time out to get him in.***

Feb 9, 2006, 12:10 AM

Dan you are a real class act

Feb 8, 2006, 11:56 PM

I've never been a caller of your show but i listen to portions everyday because of class schedules. I understand completely that you would never trash a player on purpose. While I dont like players getting trash I agree with your statement that cliff could have changed the outcome of the game or maybe not, but he could have erased the NC state game. Anyone who listens to you knows that you are not against clemson or one guy, i can appreciate your opinion and want you to know that my day would not be complete w/o you. Cliff is a good young player and this is a young team which i hope continues to improve. Clemson basketball is at a level which it hasnt been at in a long time an i hope it continues to grow. Another source you can blame it on are the clemson students who did not show up to support the team tonight, that could have been the difference, anyway i am ranting so ill stop, dont get hurt by a few people on tigernet dan, you are a reporter, it is your job... and cliff keep up the hard work..go tigers

please read above post dan***

Re: Apparently you give that spell-checker a workout,

Feb 9, 2006, 12:09 AM

"villan."

;)

great explanation..no problem here..>Cliff's still the man.

Feb 9, 2006, 12:10 AM

You just spoke the truth. Cliff is talented, and can't let this get to him...he will make up for it in his career..

I appreciate your writing style. Its no-nonsense and respectful journalism and you are good mouthpiece for Clemson when good things are happening, and you tell it like it is when there are troubles. I respect you Dan and appreciate all you do for CU Athletics and making sure every game gets heard. Enjoy Blacksburg and let our ladies get a big W tomorrow!

Your article told the truth.

Feb 9, 2006, 12:11 AM

As a journalist your job is not to sugar coat stories or make them more palatable for heart-broken Tiger fans.

Your job is to report the facts. A miss FT that would have iced it, a missed open shot at the end for the win..

those are things you have to report.

All these folks up in arms are, as a previous poster said, reading what they want to read. THey see you trashing a player, being classless, etc

What they don't seem to get is that you just reported what happened.

would think that a writer would know that it is...

Feb 9, 2006, 7:59 AM

"could not care less" not "could care less".

No that it matters to a guy that trashed the kid. ;)

Replies: 58
| visibility 1,054
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic