Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The ACC has passed the SEC in Football...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

The ACC has passed the SEC in Football...

Jul 25, 2004, 7:04 PM

These are the raw numbers.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have a chance to be better with the recent expansion.

Jul 25, 2004, 7:07 PM

There's no way we have passed them, though. That's just silly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That really depends on what you mean

Jul 25, 2004, 7:14 PM

I'm not sure what you mean? If you go by "tradition", maybe. All-time the SEC is the winningest of the two conferences, but over the last 25 years the ACC has a better winning percentage, and over the last 5 years the ACC teams have clearly been the most dominant overall. I think if you squared up the two conference tomorrow, the ACC would win. Maybe convincingly.

Cough, cough.***

Jul 25, 2004, 7:17 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

?***

Jul 25, 2004, 7:24 PM

Here's a related chart...

Jul 25, 2004, 8:02 PM [ in reply to Cough, cough.*** ]

So, the ACC has more wins in the last 5 years even with

Jul 25, 2004, 8:59 PM

3 fewer teams? I find it hard to believe.

Where did the numbers come from?

I love the ACC, but I have to disagree wholeheartidly with

Jul 25, 2004, 7:56 PM [ in reply to That really depends on what you mean ]

your assessment. Anyways, what does overall winning percentage really tell you? How about addind a strength of schedule or head-to-heads.

I don't mind anyone disagreeing with

Jul 25, 2004, 8:10 PM

my assessment that the current ACC is better than the SEC, but I wish you could try and use some facts to back it up. The most recent trends in wins and win percentage show the ACC wins more and at a better rate.

It's very, very difficult to judge SOS isn't it? ALL teams play bad teams and good teams. I would definitely say SOS is a wash at best.

And as far as I know, head-to-head pretty much mirrors what the graphs show. The head-to-head has been pretty even or in favor of the ACC recently, and that's just counting the old ACC.

Head to head records support the obvious trend shown here.

Jul 25, 2004, 11:11 PM [ in reply to I love the ACC, but I have to disagree wholeheartidly with ]

Prior to 1970, there was NO contest in any comparison between the ACC and the SEC. The SEC won nearly every interleague game. The ACC flirted with IVY LEAGUE status and almost killed off football. In the 70s, the NCAA began to implement even rules across the board on how many kids each school could sign and to establish uniform admissions requirements. Since that time, the ACC has gained on the SEC in essentially every thing you can measure. From a completely lopsided head to head record in the 50s and 60s to a very close 90s, the change in relative power of the two leagues is perfectly clear. Denying the change that has occured, or wondering too much about the precise accuracy of one count or another misses the point almost entirely. THERE WAS NO CONTEST in the 60s. Now in head to head matchups the SEC and ACC are essentially equal.

Since 1990, the teams in the SEC lead the teams in the ACC by about 7 games out of over 100 played. Since 98, the ACC leads by 1 game in head to head match ups. The ACC has won the last two years in head to head matchups.

I don't think the ACC will continue to make huge gains on the SEC. MOST of the ground has already been made up. I think the leagues have achieved parity on the field. Some years, the ACC will win in head to head, in bowls and in national prominence of its teams. Some years, the SEC will lead the same categories.

The SEC has a huge lead in tickets sold and in long term records. The achievements of SEC grandfathers were monumental and shouldn't be dismissed.

I've repeatedly posted results of all the games between the two leagues since 1990. Unfortunately, no one ever seems to change their opinion based on what has ACTUALLY happened on the fields of play.

Harley

Message was edited by: Harley®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree wholeheartedly. The press is mostly to blame.

Jul 25, 2004, 11:51 PM

Thankfully that false perception will change a little faster with expansion. With only 9, we were essentially equal and lately even better. With 11 and 12, I believe we'll be head and shoulders above.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Agree I like BC but if PSU or ND had been the 12th team then

Jul 25, 2004, 8:49 PM [ in reply to We have a chance to be better with the recent expansion. ]

Then I would say yes ACC is now over SEC, But I still think it is a nitch below.

ACC South w/ PSU

Miami
FSU
Ga Tech
Clemson
UNC
Duke

ACC North w/PSU

PSU
Maryland
VT
UVA
NC State
Wake

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The ACC has passed the SEC in Football...

Jul 25, 2004, 8:58 PM

interesting, but for us to pass the SEC and have people all around the nation believe we have a better football conference we need to build tradition. Rivalry match-ups are what make the SEC great, that and so many teams have big stadiums. We've had our part done with the stadium, seating and interest wise, most of the rest of the conference needs to generate the interest to be able to build a bigger stadiums. Then we will be able to say that we are the best football conference in the land.

Way to go Shakin'...

Jul 25, 2004, 11:44 PM

Tell it like it is...unfortunately, perception lags reality. But it'll catch up soon.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

LOL Ummmm....

Jul 26, 2004, 9:21 AM

Doesn't the "Since 1869" column tell all? That would include even the most recent years, yes? So, you HAVE NOT passed the SEC yet-- not until that all-time works its way up a little bit. And take Miami and VT out of that Last 5 Yrs column, and you'd probably get a different picture. Afterall, they haven't won a game as part of the ACC yet. LOL. This absurd manipulation of statistics coming from you shouldn't surprise me though.

Is this what you do in your spare time?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Historic Horseshoe

IQ test here.

Jul 26, 2004, 9:50 AM

Can you spot the OBVIOUS trend in this data?

Harley

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're in a battle of wits with an unarmed man.***

Jul 26, 2004, 9:51 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You think the ACC's number would have shot up over

Jul 26, 2004, 10:00 AM [ in reply to IQ test here. ]

the last 5 years without including Miami, VT, and BC? 3 teams that have never played a game as an ACC school, one of which that won't until 2005?

It's faulty reasoning.

"Our wide receiver coach has accomplished just as much as your legend."

- The man of a million handles.

Re: IQ test here.

Jul 26, 2004, 10:00 AM [ in reply to IQ test here. ]

Can YOU spot the OBVIOUS MANIPULATION OF DATA here?

The Historic Horseshoe

You failed.

Jul 26, 2004, 11:59 AM

Prior to 1970, there was NO contest in any comparison between the ACC and the SEC. The SEC won nearly every interleague game. The ACC flirted with IVY LEAGUE status and almost killed off football. In the 70s, the NCAA began to implement even rules across the board on how many kids each school could sign and to establish uniform admissions requirements. Since that time, the ACC has gained on the SEC in essentially every thing you can measure. From a completely lopsided head to head record in the 50s and 60s to a very close 90s, the change in relative power of the two leagues is perfectly clear.
Denying the change that has occured, or wondering too much about the precise accuracy of one count or another misses the point almost entirely. THERE WAS NO CONTEST in the 60s. Now in head to head matchups the SEC and ACC are essentially equal.

Re: LOL Ummmm....

Jul 26, 2004, 2:17 PM [ in reply to LOL Ummmm.... ]

Use your head. I have a doctorate in Stats. It would take me too long to explain it to you because you are a coot.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic