Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My Brad Brownell story
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

My Brad Brownell story

Dec 23, 2015, 11:23 AM

When I was a junior at Clemson it was brownells first year as the coach. I was at the gas station in downtown Clemson getting gas at 7:30am before my 8am class. While half asleep at the pump a guy next to me started to small talk with me. I remember thinking who small talks at a gas station at 7:30 in the morning. When I looked over I noticed it was Brad Brownell.

He didn't say anything about himself. He was just asking if I had early classes and to enjoy my college years. After I was done pumping gas I told him I looked forward to see how good the basketball team would be this year. I could tell that he was shocked that I noticed he was the basketball coach giving that he hasn't coached a game yet. He was super nice and let me know he appreciates the support.

This story doesn't help with the current state of the basketball program, but Brownell is a genuine and true Clemson guy. He helps build the Clemson reputation. I don't know how long he will be the coach, but I know I'll always like the guy. He doesn't deserve hate from the Clemson family. Not being satisfied with results are different that hating on the man. Where ever he ends up, I'll always appreciate him trying to win the right way.

Go tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Liability Cola by CU_Tigers_time is now trending on Tnet.

Re: My Brad Brownell story

Dec 23, 2015, 11:33 AM

BUT YOU SEE, THAT AINT THE WAY THE MORONS ON THIS SITE SEE IT. I TOO HAVE MET THE MAN, AND HE IS A GREAT GUY THAT DOES LOVE CLEMSON. HE ALSO KNOWS IF HE DOESNT GET IT DONE HE WILL BE AN EX CLEMSON COACH. HE HAS ALSO BEEN DEALT A HAND NOT MANY IF ANY COACH HAS DEALT WITH. HOPEFULLY THE NEW BUILDING AND A FEW MORE PLAYERS WILL GET US TO A POINT EVEN THE IDIOTS ON THIS SITE WILL BE PROUD OF. TALL ORDER I KNOW.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Howard would be a blip in the record books

Dec 23, 2015, 11:39 AM

In today's world.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Dec 23, 2015, 11:54 AM [ in reply to Re: My Brad Brownell story ]

I've been to IPTAY gatherings and listened to Coach Brownell. He seems quite sincere and his desire to build Tiger basketball is real, but if the opening non-conference games are any indication of his team, I would say he has lost his players to this point. Our team lacks a clear leader and guard play thus far has been inconsistent to say the least! I honestly do not see us winning more than half a dozen games from this point forward unless the team itself decides to really focus! Coaching can only take players so far. Otherwise the team has to want to put forth the effort themselves!

Brownell best hope his team starts fresh and plays smart or else he will be gone sooner than later. The patience of a multitude of fans and supporters is running out and the administration and Trustees need to recognize the degree of frustration among those who genuinely believe Tiger basketball is worth following.

Go Tigers!

oh no, you've got it wrong....

Dec 23, 2015, 11:49 AM

the know-it-all's on this site (and I am sure other web sites) have and will tell you that the number of transfers that Brownell has had tells you that his "public persona" is really all just a façade, and that he doesn't treat his players well - or, as per last night's post, the players "have quit on him".

Last night, Grantham and Roper both started off 0 for 6 in the first half. Need we go any farther to explain why they were down by 15 at the half?

Now you could argue (and post) that shot selection needed to be better, or that they needed to get the ball inside more, or that the offense needed to find more comfortable spots to shoot from for these guys, or any number of things.

No; the lovely "fans" want a firing - and now - because Clemson fans are all generally known to be educated basketball fans in general....

MY story about CLEMSON BASKETBALL: as a senior in college in 1984, I, along with some buddies, took advantage of the tickets allocated to students to go see the ACC Basketball Tournament in Greensboro. At the time, the ACC had won the NCAA two years running, and coaches in the league included Dean Smith, Jim Valvano, Mike K, Bill Foster of Clemson, Terry Holland, and Lefty Driesell at Maryland. Assorted players were Len Bias, Michael Jordan, Sam Perkins, Murray Jarman, Jay Bilas, Johnny Dawkins, Tommy Amaker, Terry Gannon, Lorenzo Charles, et al...

It was the Premier tournament in the land by far, and it ended up being Lefty's only ACC Tourney win.

And while other schools were routinely selling out their allotment of tickets, Clemson turned some of theirs back in. Even the student allotment - all of 100 - went under-sold - by about 40, I believe.

"Clemson basketball fans" - in general, it's a true oxymoron if there ever was one.

lofl!

Who??

Dec 23, 2015, 11:58 AM

Never heard of her

Larry Shyatt was the same way and thats why Clemson fans

Dec 23, 2015, 12:07 PM

really liked Shyatt and like Coach Brownell as well.

Both very likable people.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you must be the anti-Brownell then - neither

Dec 23, 2015, 12:26 PM

likable nor knowledge-able about basketball.

Shyatt was a jerk

Dec 23, 2015, 2:35 PM [ in reply to Larry Shyatt was the same way and thats why Clemson fans ]

when he thought no one "important" would notice. Witnessed him being very rude to students around campus for no apparent reason.

He was just a phony...and not very good at coaching.

I have nothing against the salesman... I'm just not buying

Dec 23, 2015, 12:12 PM

what he is selling me anymore. It's like a business decision. Tough, but you gotta do what you gotta do. He is a class act and a great guy, but we will find ourselves in a Tommy Bowden/Mark Richt scenario for years to come if we give him the benefit of the doubt because he is of high moral fiber.

Bottom line: we have not recruited to a standard that was here under Purnell. we had been previously overperforming with sub par talent and that is why Brad got a lot of respect. But there comes a point in time where you have to close the deal and bring in athletes for crying out loud.

We had .500 ACC record and better under Brad with rosters that many of our ACC bretheren would laugh at. That was commendable when we were still "building," but 6 years later we should see the fruits of his labor blossoming. Unfortunately we are seeing the crap fruit of underwhelming recruiting blossoming and that produces performances like you saw last night.

I've met Brownell as well and he seemed like a good guy.

Dec 23, 2015, 12:24 PM

Still doesn't change the fact that we have woefully underachieved the past two seasons. Brownell has 1.7 million reasons he will be fine.

Re: I've met Brownell as well and he seemed like a good guy.

Dec 23, 2015, 12:27 PM

WHAT PART OF HE AINT GOING ANYWHERE TILL AT LEAST AFTER NEXT YEAR DO YOU GOOBERS NOT GET. THIS TIME NEXT YEAR IF WE ARE STILL STRUGGLING I WILL CLIMB ON TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN ALSO. TILL THEN HE GETS MY FULL SUPPORT

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've met Brownell as well and he seemed like a good guy.

Dec 23, 2015, 12:29 PM

Must you yell at me? ??

Honest question here. What have you seen or do you predict

Dec 23, 2015, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Re: I've met Brownell as well and he seemed like a good guy. ]

you will see between now and 365 days from now that makes you think we will not be struggling still/again?

Just because we are not in a financial position to fire him,

Dec 23, 2015, 12:44 PM [ in reply to Re: I've met Brownell as well and he seemed like a good guy. ]

does not mean that his work is immune from criticism or that we can't talk about him being fired. Had we not put ourselves in a contractual and financial bind, he would probably be gone after this year. So you are basically telling us to postpone this conversation for a year because nothing can be done right now?

I think I'll T-male you everyday about how he needs to be fired until then. Haha

Actually, firing him after this season only costs us $500K

Dec 23, 2015, 2:01 PM

which can be made up in a couple of sold out Littlejohn games. Unless we wait until April and then it costs no more than firing him at ANY point during his contract. We don't have to worry about screwing up his recruiting because it is non-existent. We will have to pay him $3Mil regardless, so we might as well avoid paying him the annual salary AND the buyout and just pay the buyout and start the process of rebuilding the mess he has created.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

funny thing - costs us nothing to fire a few fans...

Dec 23, 2015, 2:24 PM

adios, pumpkin.

Serious question

Dec 23, 2015, 7:19 PM [ in reply to Re: I've met Brownell as well and he seemed like a good guy. ]

What has ever been done or said to make you think anyone gives a flying rat's ### what you have to say? You seem to be quite the legend in your own mind.

Merry Christmas!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2015, 12:20 PM

I'm sure he's a nice guy and a decent coach. If we can't compete with usuc and uga then we sure as heck can't compete with the likes of Louisville, UNC, Duke, UVA, Miami, etc. We're paying him $1,550,000 plus benefits (will be $2,000,000 by 2019) and incomparable perks to win games and create a product on the court that people want to see, not to be a nice guy. People aren't hating on him just the results. 68 teams make it to the NCAA tourney. You mean to tell me that Clemson can't at least get in that group - UNACCEPTABLE!

How is he helping to build the "clemson reputation"?

Dec 23, 2015, 12:35 PM

We are 7-5 in his 6th year and haven't begun ACC play yet. We aren't exactly loaded with incoming recruits and the future looks dim.

Shoot, I remember the days where we would go 11-1 through Dec and then get KILLED in the ACC. We can't even have a good Dec anymore.

Brownell out. Nice guy, who cares. He's being paid to win games and build a program. Make him an ambassador or something.

I'm inclined to agree with the Don ^^^***

Dec 23, 2015, 12:46 PM

Dec 23, 2015, 5:58 PM

Once at a Prowl and Growl I sat a table by myself to eat. D-RAD and Brownell both came over and sat at the same table. I was fortunate to hear them talk about about improving the program. Brownell is a great guy and he seemed pretty perfect as Clemson's coach. Also, when Demontez Stitt said Brownell might be the best coach he had played for I though that Clemson was set for a while. I hope they turn this season around but there hasn't been many good signs yet.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic