Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FSU BOT Chair blasts ACC over new TV contract
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

FSU BOT Chair blasts ACC over new TV contract

May 12, 2012, 4:00 PM

http://floridastate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1364755

The most important part:

"It's mind-boggling and shocking," said Haggard. "How can the ACC give up third tier rights for football but keep them for basketball?"

Haggard is referring to the fact that the ACC surrendered all third tier television rights for football to ESPN/ABC but kept them for men's basketball. That arrangement will likely result in substantial revenue for schools with a strong basketball following like North Carolina and Duke.On the other hand, it will do very little for schools with a more traditional football following like FSU, Clemson, Virginia Tech and Miami.

"It continues the perception that the ACC favors the North Carolina schools," noted Haggard.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most of you.

Swofford does not want us anymore than Clemson fans want

May 12, 2012, 4:04 PM

the ACC (most at any rate).

Should be no more to say about it. Just pick up the phone and call the SEC and the Big XII and let the chips fall were they may.

Message was edited by: HuntClub®

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Could I share something with you?

May 12, 2012, 4:11 PM

Third tier revenue sharing for football means that any money Clemson, VT, GT and any other ACC school get is to be 'shared,' with the other members of the conference. That sounds perfectly fair until you consider that basketball's third tier money is not shared.

The football schools are getting the 'stiff one-eye,' on this TV contract.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, we share our cash cow with Duke and they don't share

May 12, 2012, 4:12 PM

their cash cow.

WOW

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, that boat aint gonna float****

May 12, 2012, 5:03 PM

I understand that perfectly > did you misunderstand what

May 12, 2012, 4:16 PM [ in reply to Could I share something with you? ]

I was saying in my first post?

Let me clarify; Swofford does not want us in the ACC, unless of course, we remain the ACC #######, used and abused.

Clemson, get out now! Call the SEC OR the Big XII and say to them, "Let's make a deal."

Hope that is understandable.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THat's what I was wondering. Did he misunderstand your post?

May 12, 2012, 4:22 PM

nm

I did and I hereby apologize. I'm very emotional today.

May 12, 2012, 4:26 PM

I've discovered Clemson football has become a #### to the ACC and Swafford is pimping us!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No problem my Clemson friend > I too am VERY anxious

May 12, 2012, 4:30 PM

to see Clemson OUT of the ACC.

The warning shot has been fired!

May 12, 2012, 4:07 PM

I don't know why he publicized this other than getting FSU's fanbase on board for the move.

This, my friends, is a very exciting time for Clemson.

I hope it turns out to be exciting,...

May 13, 2012, 11:03 AM

...but right now it scares the #### out of me. I just hope we have our "stuff" together and are ready to make a deal. Getting left out could really be devastating. Up to this point, I've been anti-Big XII, but I'd rather TX screw us right to our faces than have the MFing ACC (swofturd) screw us behind our backs. This is utterly ridiculous if it's indeed true that basketball money isn't shared while football money is. This is a blatant slap in the face to all football schools in the ACC. The members need to stand up and oust that SOB and/or get the #### out.

GO TIGERS!!!!!
NO ACC 2013!!!!!

Re: FSU BOT Chair blasts ACC over new TV contract

May 12, 2012, 4:10 PM

of course it does!! that is what it was designed to do!! WAKE UP FSU and Clemson

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I woke up this morning with an entirely different attitude..

May 12, 2012, 4:14 PM

toward the ACC. It changed when I became familiar with the details of our latest contract results. It has become clear to me and even the blind that the ACC is not, has not, and will never be suitable for any football oriented school such as we.

Biggest story so far this off season regarding conference

May 12, 2012, 4:11 PM

realignement, right here.

Re: Biggest story so far this off season regarding conference

Goodtimes!

FSU is gone, I don't want to be left in the league without

May 12, 2012, 4:16 PM

them.

We have got to figure out a way to package FSU/GT/Clem/Miami and bail together, and fully remove the ACC from SC/GA/FL. Let it become a NC and north leagu, F it.

The morning reading I'v done has changed my position on this

May 12, 2012, 4:23 PM

I'll take the B 12 over what we have now regardless. F Swafford and his lousy azzed officials.

Re: We made a mistake by letting them in in the first place***

May 12, 2012, 6:00 PM [ in reply to FSU is gone, I don't want to be left in the league without ]

Wow!!!! I didn't even know the ACC had done that. I thought

they gave up tier three rights for everything. Had I know that they kept them for basketball, I would have expected Clemson and FSU to be out that minute. It this is true, it changes everything. I don't see how FSU can stay, but I wouldn't put it past our bunch sit pat and say thank you sir, may I have another sir.

If true, I think the Clemson BOT owes it to the Clemson family to explain how we can stand for that.

Re: Wow!!!! I didn't even know the ACC had done that. I thought

May 12, 2012, 4:23 PM

This changes everything. CU, FSU, VT and Miami must all pack up and if nothing else, we have a good foundation for a new conference.

Sumbdy git that summabich on the phone!***

May 12, 2012, 4:24 PM [ in reply to Wow!!!! I didn't even know the ACC had done that. I thought ]

We're gonna see the headline "FSU and Clemson Join BIG XII"

May 12, 2012, 4:24 PM

and I swear some people on here will STILL say "we're never gonna leave the ACC".

Thanks for posting this.

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER- http://twitter.com/#!/SonsOfClemson

I certainly hope our BOT and leadership is just as pissed!..***

May 12, 2012, 4:30 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is significant for sure...

May 12, 2012, 4:36 PM

There seems to be some kind of communication breakdown between this guy and the AD and President of the school.

Either this guy is reacting emotionally and doesn't know the whole story, or the AD will be looking for a new job. I doubt they would have let the ACC make that decision without consulting the school's admin.

Or.....

May 12, 2012, 4:38 PM

These comments, Jimbo's recent comments of displeasure, and Spetman's comments were coordinated, although seemingly inconsistent.

To what end, who knows right now.

Looks to me like Swofford wants the football

May 12, 2012, 4:39 PM

schools out of his conference.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Looks to me like Swofford wants the football

May 12, 2012, 4:41 PM

Maybe he wants the buyout money.

I say shove it up his rump!

May 12, 2012, 4:54 PM

With a red hot poker.

I doubt that.

May 12, 2012, 4:52 PM [ in reply to Or..... ]

Anyway it seems like this should have been handled internally months ago. He should have already known this would be part of the contract and if he wanted input it should have already been stated.

I wish our BOT members had the balls to call out the ACC***

May 12, 2012, 4:52 PM

Re: That serves no purpose. If you are going to do

May 12, 2012, 5:05 PM

something; do it and leave them scratching their head but make sure you are
right before doing it.

Unless peanut, the BOT had to enlighten the fans as to...

May 12, 2012, 5:50 PM

why FSU would soon be leaving the ACC. Perhaps?

After reading this article...

May 12, 2012, 5:00 PM

I have a different attitude about a conference move...that really pi$$es me off and is a detail that I did not know anything about until just now.

Anyone who thinks this third tier crap is fair is either a tarhole or dookie

Holy #### ! I had no idea the contract was structured that

May 12, 2012, 5:26 PM

way. For Swofford to state that football is responsible for 70-80% of a conference's media value then turn around and ### #### the football schools like this with this deal is unforgivable. Absolutely unforgivable.

Goodbye ACC, and good riddance.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What scares me about Clemson is

May 12, 2012, 5:27 PM

didn't our president say a few days ago that "if we left the ACC, it certainly wouldn't be for the Big12". Or was that just a myth that he said that on the radio.

While I am not thrilled with going to the Big12, we certainly can't sit here and be left by FSU. We have to go where they go. If our administration is stupid enough to sit back and watch them leave then we will have a century of being treated like this all on our on. And we will have nobody to blame but our own leaders.

May 12, 2012, 5:51 PM

What is third tier income?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 12, 2012, 5:58 PM

Basically the money we get from showing stuff on here (http://www.clemsontigers.com/allaccess/). Instead of showing the one or two games a year there, they will be on ESPN3. I think people are all up in arms about nothing. I'd bet that our games are worth more combined with the games from the other ACC schools.

It's the principal of the matter, not where our football is

May 12, 2012, 6:34 PM

shown.

The ACC has made as its mantra "equal revenue sharing" which Swofford refers to often. Swofford has also stated that football is responsible for 70-80% of the league's media revenues, meaning the football schools help subsidize the non-football schools athletic departments by contributing more to the rights income for the whole league, which is split evenly among the current twelve institutions.

The FSU BOT Chair's comments describe a clause in the contract where third tier basketball rights are not being included, leaving television rights up to the schools themselves at the third tier level - those games not the 1st or 2nd pick among ESPN's channels. Football games belong to ESPN 3's internet distribution at this level on an exclusive basis, which is cool because it means we have easy access to all of our games. ACC basketball does not. At this level, the individual schools can then make money on local affiliate broadcasts of games not being shown through ESPN's on-air inventory, providing opportunities for basketball schools to make extra money for themselves outside of the rest of the league.

In essence, the football schools generate the bulk of the money that everyone shares, while the basketball schools can make more on top of that for themselves through their own individual deals. Were football schools to have individual deals available on 3rd tier rights, they could gain substantially more. Instead, we share this with UNC, Duke, and Wake, and they don't have to share their best stuff with us, despite this being the mantra of the league.

Not good.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's the principal of the matter, not where our football is

May 12, 2012, 6:39 PM

Its not a clause to exclude basketball. The only tier 3 rights given up were for football. Every school keeps the rest. One other thing is you don't know if ESPN even wanted tier 3 for basketball.

To me it is just hard to believe that we would make significantly more money keeping the one or two games than we would throwing it into a pot with the rest of the schools.

Do you think the FSU BOT went off half-cocked?

May 12, 2012, 6:45 PM

It sure sounds that way.

Re: It's the principal of the matter, not where our football is

May 12, 2012, 6:46 PM [ in reply to Re: It's the principal of the matter, not where our football is ]

If you share in one sport then you should share in all of them !! Seems pretty simple to me !!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bottom like is, we stand to lose with this. Top basketball

May 12, 2012, 6:51 PM

teams stand to make more. With the recent recruiting classes of FSU and Clemson everybody know they and we will be really good at football and ranked high all season. Folks don't want to watch # 34 UNC play # 111 Duke. They do wanna watch # 10 FSU play any FBS team.

DO the math!

May 12, 2012, 6:46 PM

he sure is right.. but this just showes that swoffie only cares about baskb

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Haggard is my new hero

May 12, 2012, 7:14 PM

WAKE THE F@@K UP CLEMSON BOT AND PRES BARKER!!!!

I like the fire, but dude sounds like a crazy old man now

May 12, 2012, 8:58 PM

Come to find out he was wrong about the 3rd tier basketball rights and not only that, FSU had a seat at the TV bargaining table.

Exactly

May 12, 2012, 9:00 PM

But good luck telling people here that.

Confirmation needed before we start the move talk...

May 13, 2012, 10:41 AM

OK, I'm confused. Are all TV revenues shared with all conference members or not??? Does anyone really know? Some posters say this guy is wrong and I think we need confirmation before we start pushing for moving or creating a new conference...say with FSU, MIAMI, VPI, GA TECH, and even NCSU among others. Leave the ACC with only BB bones.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic