Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A Gamecock Observation of Clemson Baseball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

A Gamecock Observation of Clemson Baseball

Mar 14, 2012, 1:01 PM

First off ... I’ve been a board member for well over a decade. I am not here to flame, and hopefully not cause any ill will. I was banned from Philpot's sight the year a poster asked the question "Do you think we'll make the regional’s this year” My honest answer was a simple no. Clemson didn't, and I was right. What a crime! I was banned.

Jack Legget has done a great job with your club. Gotten you close, very close to the championship games or series.

But one thing I've always noted is that Clemson always seems error prone. That being said the table was turned in our recent series. It was USC that was error prone. South Carolina, however, has been 9 out of the last 10 years are on top of the SEC in Fielding %.

That's coaching folks. Coaching. Thankfully, we just fired Horn in Basketball. He talked the talk, but never walked the walk. Every AD makes mistakes.

Coach Leggett has been a great coach for a long time. But you can see a decline in recent years. He beat us plenty for years, but Clemson needs to move on IMHO. Just an outsider’s opinion with tons of Clemson friends.

And I realize you don't compare Horn with Leggett, just pointing out that with any coach there comes a time to move on. Whereas Horn probably has nowhere to go, Jack would. But you need a new coach with the great tradition in baseball you have.

Again, no flame, no insult, just one fan's opinion.

Good luck in what-ever-you decide.

Cordially,

Davy

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

don't know what you've been watching, besides last weekend

Mar 14, 2012, 1:03 PM

but one of the main things you could always count on in Jack's teams has been defense..

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lol what are you smokin? and what team have you been

Mar 14, 2012, 2:02 PM

watching since 2002? we give away huge games all the time and consistently lose close games thanks to fielding errors, poor decision making, and base running errors. the first game vs. the coots in omaha back in 2002 was lost b/c Jack had those boys wound up tight as ticks and they threw it away on errors. we have been notorious the past 5 to 10 years at extending innings, then giving up runs, thanks to errors when teams have two outs. we can't finish people off.

You're joking

Mar 14, 2012, 2:14 PM [ in reply to don't know what you've been watching, besides last weekend ]

I can't remember the last time I saw so many mishandled balls in the infield. We have 20 errors through the 1st 11 games and I think our scorekeeper has been kind.

not talking about this year.. obviously***

Mar 14, 2012, 2:22 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Have you actually looked at the stats, much less

Mar 14, 2012, 2:49 PM [ in reply to You're joking ]

Have you actually looked at the stats, much less even been to a game. We've played 13 games, not 11. Oh, and our fielding percentage is better than our opponents.

Re: Have you actually looked at the stats, much less

Mar 14, 2012, 3:01 PM

11 Was a typo. I'm a student and go to every game I can. Also, our fielding percentage should be much better than our opponents when 7 of the 13 games were against the likes of UAB, Maine, and Holy Cross. .003 isn't even an appreciable difference.

Additionally

Mar 14, 2012, 3:02 PM

11 of our 13 games have been at home. As stated somewhere below me, players should be far more comfortable on a home field and thus better fielding numbers.

Re: Have you actually looked at the stats, much less

Mar 15, 2012, 8:24 PM [ in reply to Have you actually looked at the stats, much less ]

Both sir. I always follow the SEC stats carefully, and yes I've been to multiple games.

Like the Ump's ... I'm just calling it like I see them.

I could read box scores at age 5. Came from a baseball family. Have you paid any attention to your fielding percentages over the past 10 years? I have. Finally, are you aware of USC's fielding % since Tanner has been the Head Coach there?

Peace Out,

Davy

Re:Davy, you are full of it.***

Mar 14, 2012, 1:09 PM

Re:Davy, you are full of it.***

Mar 15, 2012, 3:37 PM

Yes I'm full of it. Always have been. Played lots of baseball when I was younger, and understand the game as an ex pitcher.

But you seem to be full of something too. I've always been respectful on this board, I consider it the premier Clemson board, and as I said I have many friends and relatives that graduated from Clemson.

Being rude on a message board is easy. You took the low road my friend.

I love it when Clemson and USC are in the top ten and especially when we both make it to Omaha. I'm for you, not against you. Until we play.

If you don't see a coaching problem(s), then fine. But no need to insult an outsider. I've been a member here for 14 years. Clemson is as important to me as South Carolina. My parents are Furman grads, and my son a USC grad and USC Masters program grad. I went to school in Florida five miles from the beach after serving my country in the 307th Medical of the 82nd Airborne. We earn our berets back then.

You sir are also full of it. You can't accept an opinion right or wrong, and those days on these boards are long gone.

You need to fire your baseball coach as much as we needed to fire our basketball coach. We did it. Will you?

My apologies to all for barking back, but that comment was not called for given what I said and how I said it. Please don't ban me Crump ... I'm a legacy here :(

Cordially,

Davy

Carolina's fielding percentage is the result of home cooking

Mar 14, 2012, 1:14 PM

or at least it was prior to Holbrook. One year I just looked it up. USC had an error in something like 10% of their home games and 90% of their road games. Something didn't pass the smell test. I haven't looked to see if that trend has continued but since the Holbrook is more pitching and defense than Tanner could ever dream of being, I doubt it.

1st thats a meaningless stat. most teams are better at home,

Mar 14, 2012, 2:05 PM

they are more relaxed and familiar with the field. 2nd they win close games and are tougher than us at home. stats are for pro contract negotiations and for losers, wins and championships are all that matter.

Re: A Gamecock Observation of Clemson Baseball

Mar 14, 2012, 4:24 PM

We don't need or give a crap about a chikin opinion!!!

Mar 14, 2012, 9:27 PM

I posted a respectfull post. Didn't expect the replies. Another loss to Western Carolina tonight with 2 errors.

As I said, most of my friends are Clemson fans. I grew up in Greenville and have many relatives and friends that are Clemson grads. All I did was post my observations. Keep Jack. We love him. But don't shoot the messenger.

Good luck in the ACC. A great baseball conference.

Cordially,

Davy

Geez....an astute analogy of our BB coach by a Coot!***

Mar 14, 2012, 10:37 PM

Go TIGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You won't get respect

Mar 14, 2012, 11:29 PM [ in reply to Re: A Gamecock Observation of Clemson Baseball ]

Or sanity, for that matter from this lot. Any time an orange-blooded tiger fan posts anything against the current administration, they get blasted. As a Gamecock fan or "coot" you get even less respect than that (they think you're not human/have tentacles/etc).

Plenty of ball left to play, but no matter what happens the

Mar 14, 2012, 10:50 PM

remainder of this season, Jack Leggett will return next year.

He shouldn't and won't be fired if he has a down year. Even though we aren't winning championships, as should be the goal, regardless, we have been and still are one of the best baseball programs in the country. Jack has done an outstanding job.

There's still tons of time left to get this season straightened out, but Jack deserves and will get another shot, no matter what happens this season.

Mar 14, 2012, 11:47 PM

90% of the schools in the country would love to be where clemson is and has been the last 30 years. it is just an odd situation to be that good and not being able to get over that last little hurdle. i know without a doubt legget can get it done, but i do understand where other fans or ready for a change. but i do know that he is a top 10 coach if not a top five coach still.

Mar 15, 2012, 4:47 PM

Agree. Disagree with the OP. Leggett is a top 10 coach if not higher. Clemson is a stone's throw from the top and a highrise from the bottom. You don't make a change at HC unless you are reasonable sure that a new HC will improve the program. That is difficult in this case. The chances of Clemson making a hire that would be worse than Leggett is much greater than making a hire that would be better. That is always a problem when you have what many consider one of the best coaches in college baseball.

In this case, Clemson really does need an "oil change and not an overhaul." JMHO.

Respectfully,

Rogue

Your Character is what you do when no one is watching.

Mar 15, 2012, 4:52 PM

very well said and YES it is time for a change!our baseball program has gone downhill for the last 10 years and it will not improve until some changes are made!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 15, 2012, 5:12 PM

Agreed...

Stick it, coot!***

Mar 16, 2012, 7:52 AM

The original post is why we must start beating them

Mar 16, 2012, 8:06 PM

consistently again in all sports and return the universe to normalcy. I'm not sure if it is the losing to them, or the matter of a fact, almost patronizing way they explain to us how one day we may "get up there with them" in athletics. It is sickening.

Don't know DavyBoy's T-Net history, but respectable post ...

Mar 16, 2012, 9:06 PM

Tone was respectful. Opinions right or wrong seemed even handed.

I am constantly amazed at the amount of vitriol and hate on T-Net for the Gamecocks. I appreciate a good old-fashioned backyard brawl, but believe we could take the high road more often. Must be an in-state thing like voting for Newt.

Just like El Nino, something is atmosperically impacting the natural state of this rivalry, and somehow the ##### have the upper hand right now. Mother Earth will return to her orbit, and our Tigers will return the losses absorbed over the past 3 years with interest.

In the meantime, how nasty do these blog posts have to be? If you saw an 80 yr old vet wearing a Gamecock tie clip would you push him down the steps? If you had a neighborhood party and your neighbor's kid showed up in a Gamecock t-shirt would you give all the other kids ice cream and send the neighbor's kid home crying? If you saw an old blind woman enter a bank with a Gamecock sticker on her wheelchair would you let the door slam into her legs?

These are pretty extreme examples, but they're mild compared to some of the ######### I read on T-net. Nothing wrong with a little dark humor from time to time, but the smug hateful rage on T-Net against South Carolina smacks with more than a just a little bit of jealousy. Let the ##### crow for a little while and give them some credit where credit is due. When we take care of our business in the athletic dept and on the fields, it will be our time again and payback can be a b1tch. Insightful comments DavyBoy and congrats on a good run! Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The "Vet" part would save the 80 year old man. He should

Mar 16, 2012, 9:37 PM

consider himself lucky. ;)

Love that response Filo ... also Gamecocks Hooters girls***

Mar 16, 2012, 10:13 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Always a supporter of saving the Ta-Ta's***

Mar 16, 2012, 10:16 PM

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic