Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone that wants Clemson to go to the Big 12 is an idiot
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 67
| visibility 4,429

Anyone that wants Clemson to go to the Big 12 is an idiot

Feb 7, 2012, 9:06 AM

What does it matter if Clemson gets 50 or even 100 million a year to go to another conference , when you cant afford to go to away games and be the fan you have always been for 40+ years. I for one do not want to trade my ability to go to the away games. I think most of the people that want us in the BIG 12 sit on their couch at home and watch the games. Maybe a lot of you are rich and it does not matter to you. I just hope Clemson does not sell its soul for money. We do not need to go to another conference. We need to start dominating the one we are in.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True. But anyone that wants Clemson to stay in the ACC is

Feb 7, 2012, 9:10 AM

a bootlicking sycophantic masochist.

Re: True. But anyone that wants Clemson to stay in the ACC is

Feb 7, 2012, 9:12 AM

If we start dominating the ACC we wont be licking any boots

You better hope Clemson finds an answer to our math

Feb 7, 2012, 9:22 AM

problem or USuC with all the money in the world will hire the best coaches and have better facilities than us and will be on prime-TV more than us--hurting recruiting--so you better hope we can find a solution--and if going somewhere else answers the question then we need to go.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wish I had the answer to the money...

Feb 7, 2012, 9:36 AM

Clemson does not seem to be hurting from what I have seen last few years. They have invested in sports like they never have in the past. 2 of the highest paid OC and DC. Only time will tell but I for one do not see the ACC as a weak conference. Sure the football has not been what we would like for it to be top to bottom but with the way recruiting is going I think that wil change. Also the ACC is going to be the Best basketball conference again by far IMO. I know everyone seems to only care about the 12 to 14 games a year played in football. There is no reason with teams like Fla State , Miami , VT and Clemson that the ACC cant be a very good football conference. It only takes 2 or 3 dominate teams to carry a conference. The SEC and PAC 12 are proof of that.

^DEAD ON^***

Feb 8, 2012, 10:39 AM [ in reply to You better hope Clemson finds an answer to our math ]

Tell that to Ron Cherry.***

Feb 7, 2012, 11:02 AM [ in reply to Re: True. But anyone that wants Clemson to stay in the ACC is ]

Feb 7, 2012, 9:30 AM [ in reply to True. But anyone that wants Clemson to stay in the ACC is ]

Texas has a big old pair of boots you can lick if we go to the Big 12.

Feb 7, 2012, 9:57 AM

Generic is right. The ACC is a friggin' honeymoon compared to the animosity that is in the Big 12 and the school's subordination to all things Longhorn.

Re: Anyone that wants Clemson to go to the Big 12 is an idiot

Feb 7, 2012, 9:14 AM

That does not make them "idiots" just means they have an opinion different than yours on the matter. I don't want to go to the Big 12 because it is not a conference, it's just other schools helping fund the Texas Longhorns program, that program is a million times worse than UNC/Swofford.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2012, 9:24 AM

I got transfered out here to Dallas three years back and I for one would love to be an idiot to be able to see most away games with a short drive. However, I hope they stay put and continue with the recent success in the ACC. The ACC is coming back strong, look at the recruiting classes Miami and FSU just put together.

Do you travel to Miami? Boston College? Maryland?

Feb 7, 2012, 9:26 AM

Will you travel to Pitt or Syracuse? How about Va or Va Tech?

If Clemson makes 50 or 100 million a year to join the Big 12, I hope we don't have idiots in charge who say no.

Whether it happens or not is not my decision, but I sure would be in favor of it. I guess I'm stupid that way.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Re: Do you travel to Miami? Boston College? Maryland?

Feb 7, 2012, 9:33 AM

Va and tech is as far away as Tx or OK ????

as far away from where? for either the pro or the con

Feb 7, 2012, 10:20 AM

arguments to have any merit, we need to decide where most clemson fans live and where we're measuring distances from. i know i've been to a lot more away games as an alum than i ever did as a student.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FAT TAX NOW!

Re: as far away from where? for either the pro or the con

Feb 7, 2012, 10:27 AM

Where is most of the fan base? In the state of SC right?

So I'd say TX or OK is just alittle farther than VA or tech.

Feb 7, 2012, 10:34 AM

Using Clemson as a starting point
Texas 1070 miles
Syracuse 870 miles (to play in a dome w/ 49k capacity!?)Guranteed to play there every other year!
OU 970 miles
BC 800 miles
OK ST 970 miles
Miami 709 miles

Everybody thinks the midwest is the left coast!!! And I can guarantee you the drive west is a lot less traffic than going north or south!

Good points, but having been to all of those places,

Feb 7, 2012, 10:41 AM

I'd much rather go to Miami and Boston than any cities in Texas and Oklahoma.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Good points, but having been to all of those places,

Feb 7, 2012, 10:45 AM

Miami maybe, Boston not so much! Syracuse, definitely not!

I like Boston, but agree on Cuse, that place is a craphole

Feb 7, 2012, 10:51 AM

And Pitt is nice in the summer, not so much in the fall/early winter. Of course when you're on Pitt's campus you have to keep your head on a swivel to avoid getting stabbed.

I'm not against moving to the B12 if offered, especially considering the paycheck we would get. I'm only referring to road trips. Plus, from a basketball standpoint, I'd rather be in the ACC. If CBB can get this program to the level he is capable of, I'd rather be in the ACC.

However, we need to compete with the money USuCk is getting paid in the SEC, so...make the move if we can.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

boston is an awesome roadtrip. one of the best in the ACC.***

Feb 7, 2012, 1:41 PM

FAT TAX NOW!

but we also dont get the easy

Feb 7, 2012, 1:53 PM [ in reply to Re: as far away from where? for either the pro or the con ]

trips to Atlanta, and th North Carolina schools.

Talahasse will become the closest road trip in the Big 12.

Re: but we also dont get the easy

Feb 7, 2012, 2:26 PM

That's what everybody has forgot

Texas will be the normal trip***

Feb 8, 2012, 9:38 AM

Feb 8, 2012, 9:12 PM [ in reply to Re: as far away from where? for either the pro or the con ]

what are the mileages to our closest games in both conferences?

You miss the point of Va and VA Tech...

Feb 7, 2012, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Do you travel to Miami? Boston College? Maryland? ]

The point was more of a question as to whether or not the poster travels at all OR just wants to argue and pitch a fit because something might not go their way.

Sure those two are closer, but what does t matter to someone who doesn't travel anyway?

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

That was his point

Feb 8, 2012, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Do you travel to Miami? Boston College? Maryland? ]

I'm pretty sure that was his point. If you're not even going up to Virginia or Tech or Maryland etc, then what does it matter? If you're not even going to away games that aren't as far away then it shouldn't matter if those "away" games are in Texas or Oklahoma, etc...

Re: Do you travel to Miami? Boston College? Maryland?

Feb 7, 2012, 9:36 AM [ in reply to Do you travel to Miami? Boston College? Maryland? ]

I agree with you....I have traveled to Okla; Notre Dame; Alabama and Texas A&M....we get in the Big 12 and I will find a way to be at the games. And I am not rich by any means....but instead of ski trips, cruises, new car every year, or whatever....my money goes to IPTAY. I can remember a time when my utility bill came due and so did IPTAY. I - thank goodness - knew the head guy at the Duke Power office and he put a note on my account and three weeks later I paid the utility bill.

When money was tight one year...I baked cakes and sold enough to pay for my dues and tickets.

It is all in what one deems important. Being with family and friends at Clemson gatherings is more important that any cruise I could take. Besides I have seen a lot of the US that I would not have had it not been for Clemson!! And in looking at the Big 12 schools that could be some fun experiences.

Feb 7, 2012, 9:34 AM

What would really be idiotic is to make decisions about a multi million dollar business because some people enjoy driving to an away game every other year...

Sure the fans dont matter anyway right?***

Feb 7, 2012, 9:39 AM

Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner!

Feb 7, 2012, 10:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Anyone that wants Clemson to go to the Big 12 is an idiot ]

Your response makes way too much sense for this place.

... Clemson would be traveling to the "West" Pod of the

Feb 7, 2012, 9:53 AM

Big 12 for only 2-3 games a year under the rumored config.

youre a ###### fool if you want to stay in the ACC, you are a blithering fool if you want to stay in the ACC if FSU and VT leave.

Re: ... Clemson would be traveling to the "West" Pod of the

Feb 8, 2012, 8:44 PM

If I could vote you up 10 times I would. This is exactly what I am looking for. I will be freshman at CU in the fall and I watch all the people I know at Clemson travel to Virginia Tech, Maryland, North Carolina, etc. and I want to be able to do the same but for anyone that drives to Maryland or BC shouldn't complain about driving to Oklahoma or Texas. I guarantee traffic ain't as bad and I have never been that far west but from what I told speed limits are higher out there too. So the speed limit goes from 65 on highways to 75 or whatever it may be. You could cross the Mississippi and be in Austin to watch Clemson vs. Texas in no time.

If it is only 2-3 far away games then who really cares? Sure it would be great to go to EVERY away game but if going to the SEC isn't an option and the Big 12 will offer a significant revenue increase then they should definitely do it. Think of the increase in television time Clemson could get by playing schools like Oklahoma, Texas, Ok State, etc. If it were my opinion and it was one or the other I would rather stay in the ACC because it is closer to home, no matter which way you slice it but at the same time what happens if Virginia Tech and FSU leave but Clemson stays? Then we are absolutely screwed, if that happens we could just call up the C-USA and ask to join them... go 12-0 every year beating up on mediocre teams.

I like how someone who doesn't agree with you

Feb 7, 2012, 9:54 AM

is labeled an "idiot"

Re: I like how someone who doesn't agree with you

Feb 7, 2012, 9:59 AM

Idiot!

I'm guessing that you are fairly young and don't recall

Feb 7, 2012, 10:41 AM

The abuses of Clemson at the hands of the ACC over the years. Clemson was suppose to leave back in the 70's with USuC but opted out. Consider this: WVU is already going to Big 12, what it VT, FSU, Maybe GT and CU join? The distances aren't as far as you would like to believe...
Using Clemson as a starting point
UT 1070 miles
Syracuse 870 miles (to play in a dome w/ 49k capacity!?)Guranteed to play there every other year!
OU 970 miles
BC 800 miles
OK ST 970 miles
Miami 709 miles

Everybody thinks the midwest is the left coast!!! And I can guarantee you the drive west is a lot less traffic than going north or south!

Thanks for the breakdown. I was wondering myself what the

Feb 7, 2012, 10:57 AM

difference in mileage was. It appears that it is not that bad. Couple of hours to the farthest point. I would do that.

Granted I only make 1 or 2 away games a year, but I would much prefer going to Texas than to BC, Maryland or Syracuse.

Re: Thanks for the breakdown. I was wondering myself what the

Feb 7, 2012, 11:57 AM

Austin is a beautiful city and their stadium is pretty amazing.

Re: Thanks for the breakdown. I was wondering myself what the

Feb 8, 2012, 10:02 AM

so welcome to waco, norman and stillwater lol

Thanks for the info...That is indeed eye opening and

Feb 7, 2012, 12:31 PM [ in reply to I'm guessing that you are fairly young and don't recall ]

supports the feasibility of Clemson to the Big12.

but what you are doing is taking the farthest

Feb 7, 2012, 2:03 PM [ in reply to I'm guessing that you are fairly young and don't recall ]

ACC trips and comparing them to the average Big 12 trips. We also have a lot of shorter trips for the ACC which we would not have in the Big 12.

and what about the 1333 miles to Ames, Iowa or the 1141 miles to Kansas State?

Distance for all road games.....BIG12 and ACC

Feb 7, 2012, 3:17 PM

School Location Miles from Clemson Drive Time 1 way
Baylor Waco, Texas 949 15Hrs and 30 minutes
Iowa State Ames, Iowa 1051 17Hrs
Kansas Lawrence, Kansas 952 15 Hrs and 10 minutes
Kansas State Manhattan Kansas 1032 16 Hrs and 20 minutes
Oklahoma Norman, Oklahoma 980 15Hrs and 41 minutes
Oklahoma State Stillwater, Oklahoma 979 15Hrs and 40 minutes
Texas Austin, Texas 1053 17Hrs
Texas Christian University Fort Worth, Texas 944 14Hrs and 51 minutes
Texas Tech Lubbock, Texas 1257 19Hrs and 40 Minutes
West Virginia Morgantown, West Virginia 503 8Hrs and 14 minutes

Boston College Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts 992 16Hrs and 31 Minutes
Duke Durham, North Carolina 273 4Hrs and 42 minutes
Florida State Tallahassee, Florida 390 6Hrs and 42 minutes
Georgia Tech Atlanta, Georgia 124 2hrs and 8 minutes
Maryland College Park, Maryland 565 9Hrs 16 minutes
Miami Coral Gables, Florida 766 12 Hrs and 7 minutes
North Carolina Durham, North Carolina 273 4Hrs and 42 minutes
North Carolina State Raleigh, North Carolina 296 5Hrs and 6 minutes
Virginia Charlottesville, Virginia 400 7Hrs and 2 minutes
Virginia Tech Blacksburg, Virginia 300 5Hrs
Wake Forest Winston-Salem, North Carolina 210 2Hrs and 38 minutes
Pittsburgh Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 575 9Hr and 30 minutes
Syracuse Syracuse, New York 852 13Hrs and 51 minutes

Re: Distance for all road games.....BIG12 and ACC

Feb 8, 2012, 11:20 AM

You realize we would still have home games right?

Re: Distance for all road games.....BIG12 and ACC

Feb 8, 2012, 8:50 PM [ in reply to Distance for all road games.....BIG12 and ACC ]

Another reason why I would actually like a shot at the BIG 12 is we'd get to face West Virginia again. It is nothing against them, they played a heck of a football game in the Orange Bowl but I would want to kick the snot out of WVU to shut up the USC fans that stick their noses in places where they shouldn't be.

Re: I'm guessing that you are fairly young and don't recall

Feb 8, 2012, 11:29 AM [ in reply to I'm guessing that you are fairly young and don't recall ]

You are so right!!! the drive is much safer and enjoyable!!

Feb 7, 2012, 11:47 AM

The truth for me is, I think that the ACC is a top of the line conference. Its the people on the inside of the conference running it that makes it bad for Clemson. Take swofford out of the ACC, and you will have the best conference in College sports. Put in a group of Non-Bias conference professionals that will look at all of its members as EQUAL partners. Concentrate on the big 3, Football, Baseball, and Basketball. And I don't see why the ACC can't be a power conference even with the higher Education standards portrayed by the ACC. I think that most of us would agree that Swofford has and will continue to wreck ACC....

We do agree on that point***

Feb 7, 2012, 12:03 PM

That's a gigantic "IF".***

Feb 7, 2012, 2:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone that wants Clemson to go to the Big 12 is an idiot ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 8, 2012, 10:18 AM [ in reply to Re: Anyone that wants Clemson to go to the Big 12 is an idiot ]

I agree with you the ACC is a good conference! And we do compete in both the major sports. It can improve but then so could 4 or 5 other conferences need improve also.

The point I would like to be cleared up is, Are you saying that Swofford is God like and that the athletic directors or the school presidents have no input in the ACC decision making process and that Swofford acts independent in decision making process? Yes we have 4 schools in NC but surely the other 8, now hopefully very soon 10 schools have input in the process as well.

Feb 8, 2012, 9:35 AM

I know the POTD yesterday is obviously just speculating about the circumstances. However, if the Big 12 talk is indeed to bait the SEC to make a move on Clemson and FSU, how do you feel about a change to the SEC. Traveling to UF, UGA, Vandy, Kentucky, Tenn., etc. would be a lot more reasonable. Also, we not only need to consider our travel time as fans, but also fans traveling to Death Valley and the revenue that brings. Fans of other schools are much more likely to travel to here if they are 4-8 hours away rather than 12-15. As far as the ACC goes, I get tired of playing teams like Wake, who bring 500 fans (half of them players' parents) to games at Clemson. I would much rather play teams like UGA and UF that would bring fans. We kind of got a taste of this last year playing Auburn. Teams that bring fans to actually fill the stadium make for a much better atmosphere.

Feb 8, 2012, 9:48 AM

I have no problem with going to the SEC but USuc would implode before they would allow it. All I am saying as a fan that actually goes to away games the BIG 12 makes no sense for me.

If I'm a USC fan, I'd feel that USC's program is ahead of CU

Feb 8, 2012, 10:02 AM

based on the last three years and the alignment with the SEC. I wouldn't mind bringing CU in as a conference game that USC would probably win. Maybe with CU as another team in the East Division, one of the games with West Division teams would be eliminated.

It took USC 20 years to get a division title, and they had to wait for Tennessee, Florida, and Georgia to be down AND had to get Spurrier, whom they reviled when he was at FLA, AND had to lure recruits. They don't think we could do any better.

Re: If I'm a USC fan, I'd feel that USC's program is ahead of CU

Feb 8, 2012, 10:13 AM

Do you honestly believe that SCar wants to pad our bank account? Do you honestly believe that SCar wants to give us the recruiting advantage of being in the SEC? I agree that they have us down. Why would they be willing to take their foot off of our throat? I know if the roles were reversed, I wouldn't.

I think you're giving them too much credit. I honestly

Feb 8, 2012, 9:41 PM

believe that they believe we'll never compete with them again regardless of the conference affiliation or money or sanctions.

I'm not giving them any credit at all. I am saying they want

Feb 8, 2012, 10:22 PM

to destroy us. Therefore, the last thing they are going to do is anything that would benefit us.

Until the NCAA sanctions hit***

Feb 8, 2012, 11:21 AM [ in reply to If I'm a USC fan, I'd feel that USC's program is ahead of CU ]

If I'm a USC fan, I'm too arrogant to worry about that! :)***

Feb 8, 2012, 9:38 PM

Feb 8, 2012, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Anyone that wants Clemson to go to the Big 12 is an idiot ]

I hear that SCar, Florida, Georgia and Kentucky have formed a bloc to keep all their rivals out. I don't know why people obsess over going into the SEC, when the odds are zero. And to think we could force the SEC to take us, is delusional. They don't need us with all the money they make and will make. They don't want us.

Here are our realistic options:

1. Move to the Big 12
2. Go independent
3. Stay in the ACC
4. Form a new conference with others.

That's it. We need to decide which way to go.

Feb 8, 2012, 8:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone that wants Clemson to go to the Big 12 is an idiot ]

I was at the senior game this year against Wake and I couldn't believe how open the Valley was. The upperdeck was only half full. There might have been 500 WF fans on the whole campus that day.

Also, think about it: playing teams like Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech, Kansas St., Baylor, etc. have not played in Death Valley (or at least it has been a long time for most of them if they actually have played here.) How many fans and students would consider taking a trip here just to experience a new stadium? I know as a future student it would be awesome to take a trip to the Longhorn's stadium or Oklahoma. WAAAAYYY more history than that of Maryland or something.

I don't really go to away games so I'm cool with it.

Feb 8, 2012, 9:49 AM

#notarealfanbro.

I'm with you.***

Feb 8, 2012, 10:00 AM

All successful businesses follow the money.

Feb 8, 2012, 10:22 AM

ACC------ $15 million or so

Big 12----$34-36 million.

Re: All successful businesses follow the money.

Feb 8, 2012, 11:14 AM

where did you get 34 million for big 12 last i saw was 15 million?

Re: All successful businesses follow the money.

Feb 8, 2012, 11:23 AM

15 mil is the ACC. 34 mil is the Big 12.

Feb 8, 2012, 11:18 AM

You'd rather us be in a bad conference so you can go to the games than better ourselves as a team. SELFISH

Feb 8, 2012, 8:23 PM

They don't consider fans traveling because it doesn't matter. Wake Forest brought what 1500 fans? Clemson is in the worst conference for fans traveling save CU, FSU and Vt.

Clemson with more money means the football product gets a lot better. Giving up 5 mil a year to the SEC, B10 and Pac12 per team is an arms race the ACC is losing.

Feb 8, 2012, 8:27 PM

once again rotflmao

Blame Swoffy

Feb 8, 2012, 8:32 PM

He could had done more to keep Clemson, but he did what was right for one team and ignored the 12 others.

It's all about cost vs revenue

Feb 8, 2012, 8:57 PM

If you stay in the ACC and think that FSU won't leave without Clemson your wrong. They have no long time ties to this league and they are all about keeping the football program at the top. They know that keeping up with the top programs is going to cost major dollars and staying in the ACC is only going to net 16 million at the most and that is over 10 years away. The costs keep escalting at a pace that it will soon top this level of revenue. None of this is about who attends but who is willing to pay a fee to watch on a network. The ACC product in football is not going to get better. It will be picked clean by other conferences and if Clemson stays and is left behind then there is no way in the long term to keep up in costs. Clemson needs to act with an eye to the future and get out now while the iron is hot.

Replies: 67
| visibility 4,429
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic