Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Delusional chickens (long)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Delusional chickens (long)

Oct 31, 2011, 2:16 PM

Well, well, well, it looks like USC has this cute little two game winning streak going against the Clemson Tigers and they have now risen to be among the elite football programs in the history of the NCAA. This is the first time they have had a winning streak against their rivals since the 1969-1970 season, by the way, and I thought I’d just do a little research to see how I’ve been so blind to their esteemed program over the past 40 years and how I’ve missed their rise to superiority.

First of all, let’s take a look at the overall series record since the 1970 win. Let’s see, it seems to go in Clemson’s favor by a record of 27-12-1. By the way, this includes drubbings of 45-0 (1989) and 63-17 (2003), but there was an impressive 56-20 win by the Gamecocks in 1975.

Maybe it’s the total number of National Championships. I see one for Clemson in 1981, but haven’t found the Carolina one yet. Still looking. Maybe next year.

Conference championships? Clemson has seven, Carolina has none. I don’t guess that’s it.

COACHING
Now, one thing that I’m certain of is that Clemson has not hired a “legend” for a coach over the past 40 years. While the Tigers have been under the guidance of names like Howard, Parker, Pell, Ford, and a host of others (including, of all things, a former real estate agent), the Gamecocks have had the opportunity to bring in not only one, but two legends of the sport. First of all there was Lou Holth (sp) and then Mr. Steve Spurrier himself. While Spurrier has, undoubtedly, taken the Carolina faithful to heights previously unreached, Dr. Lou finished with an overall record of 33-37, including an 0-11 season in 1999. That would be enough to make a man spit.

Spurrier, the molder and maker of quarterbacks, has yet to have a Gamecock quarterback taken in the NFL draft. As a matter of fact, no Gamecock quarterback that he has recruited has finished their career in Columbia. One could argue that Garcia’s career was finished in Columbia but I don’t think that’s what he had in mind.

NFL DRAFT PICKS
Since the 1970 season, it appears that the Gamecocks have had a whopping 96 players taken in the NFL draft! Surely they hold the edge in this department. Hmmm, during that same time, the Tigers have had 140. Oh well, let’s move on. Nothing to see here.

BOWL VICTORIES
Over the past 40 years, here’s the record:
Clemson – 12 bowl wins, USC – 4 wins.

Nope, that’s not it.

FINAL TOP-25 RANKINGS
Seems that our friends in Tiger Town hold the edge here as well. The Tigers have finished in the AP top 25 a total of 17 times since 1971 compared to five (5) times for the cluckers from Columbia.

HEISMAN TROPHIES
AH HA! This must be it! The Gamecocks had a Heisman Trophy winner in 1981 by the name of George Rogers and Clemson has never had one. Mr. Rogers even has a street named in his honor in the capital city even though he was bordering on illiteracy when he left the school of higher learning. Oh, and by the way, he was later implicated in a cocaine scandal while in the NFL (1982) and arrested for possession in 1990. Word has it that George Rogers Boulevard is void of white lines.

Here’s an idea. Let’s put him on the university payroll and have George Rogers day every football season!

SCANDALS
While it seems that every Gamecock fan wants to dwell on history and mention “probation” whenever given the opportunity, I thought I’d look into all of the scandals involving the two schools over the years. Surely, Carolina’s reputation would be lily-white judging by the way that they like to point the accusatory finger. Here’s what I’ve found:

PROBATION
Yes, the fine folks at Clemson found themselves in an NCAA mess and were put on probation for two years (1982-1983) for recruiting violations. Some would say that the violations took place under the former regime of Charley Pell, some want to include Danny Ford. Whatever the case was, it resulted in probation and being banned from bowl games. Since that time, Clemson, like MOST other Division 1 programs, have had “secondary” violations a time or two. Hmmm, I see that it appears that there is an investigation going on in Columbia, as I type. Interesting….

Since we need to have a history lesson, my research has found several other interesting events in Gamecock history.

Seems that way back in 1982, the same year as Clemson’s probation, a USC basketball coach by the name of Pam Parsons was all wrapped in a bit of scandal herself. By the way, that’s not the only thing she was wrapped up in! Ms. Parsons was very close to her players, one in particular, and was having a (gasp) homosexual relationship with a team member! Is that wrong? Did someone tell her that it was wrong? I’m sure she wouldn’t have engaged in such if someone had told her. Luckily, when the story broke, she was very upfront and honest. No, wait a minute, it seems that she and the player were both sentenced to prison for lying under oath about it. By the way, that’s not the only thing she was lying under!

Since I brought basketball into this conversation, I am obligated to bring the name of Tates Locke into the conversation. He was the basketball coach at Clemson in the mid-1970’s and had some NCAA infractions that led to probation for the Tigers. I’m pretty sure he didn’t sleep with any of his players, but I can’t say for sure.

JOE MORRISON
Oh, what a colorful character USC had in Coach Morrison – the beer drinking, cigarettes on the sideline smoking, man in black. During his five-year tenure (1983-1988), Morrison took the Gamecocks to as high as a #2 national ranking and began the legendary “Fire Ant” defense and the “Black Magic” year of 1984. Once they rose to #2, however, the Black Magic faded with a loss to Navy. Morrison was named national Coach of the Year in 1984. The Father of the Year award didn’t go his way due to the paternity suit that followed him from New Mexico.

While Morrison was at USC, they were featured in a glowing article in Sports Illustrated magazine. I believe the term used by SI to describe the USC program was “out of control” when discussing the major steroid and drug scandal that was taking place under his guidance.

As we all know, it’s much better to turn your head while players are given life threatening narcotics than have a booster pay out a little cash to a recruit.

COCKY
What an entertaining mascot the Gamecocks have on their sideline. Like so many schools, they elect a student to put on the mascot uniform and entertain the fans in the stands. Unlike so many schools, however, the male USC mascot was arrested at an I-26 rest area in Newberry for soliciting male patrons. I don’t have the mascot’s name, but, maybe it was none other than……

JAMES HOLDERMAN
Yes, the former President of the University of South Carolina. Also pronounced Hold-a-man, if I’m not mistaken. Dr. Hold-A-Man left, disgracefully, after a scandal concerning

a) using University money for personal expenditures and
b) an inappropriate sexual relationship with a male page in addition to sexual advances with other male students.

After convictions for tax evasion and money laundering, Dr. Hold-A-Man was given a three-year prison sentence.

Yes, Gamecock Nation, be proud of your heritage and your meteoric rise to the ranks of the elite. Your halo remains untarnished and we, the lowly Clemson folks, will forever admire your wonderful program and university. It is our only hope that, someday, we will be worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as USC.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Delusional chickens (long)

Oct 31, 2011, 2:22 PM

Don't throw stats at them. according to one of them arguing with me yesterday, statistics don't matter. its only the facts that matter (facts that they make up).

Candidate for post of the day/week/month/year/decade.....

Oct 31, 2011, 2:48 PM

Should be at least.

I have no idea why anyone wouldn't want to go there.

Oct 31, 2011, 2:59 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Don't forget why they left the ACC

Oct 31, 2011, 3:08 PM

Gamecocks love to hate on the ACC, even though they had a losing record while in the conference, and have a losing record against ACC schools, even excluding the lopsided rivalry with Clemson.

But why did the Gamecocks leave the ACC?

Well, back in the 1970s, the ACC had higher standards than the NCAA for its student athletes. South Carolina didn't like this. After unsuccessfully trying to get the conference to lower its standards so that South Carolina could recruit the athletes they wanted, the Gamecocks left the ACC in 1971 to become an independent.

In short, the Gamecocks left the ACC because the academics were too stringent. Seriously, I can't make something like this up.

The plan was a complete disaster. South Carolina's successful basketball program collapsed, and Frank McGuire realized too late that he'd made a huge mistake by signing on to the idea. The football team struggled with occasional success and frequent mediocrity. (The real reason for the 40 year streak isn't that Clemson was that good--it survived the Tommy West era, after all--but that USC couldn't put together a decent team two years in a row.)

The athletic program struggled until they were fortunate enough to be picked up by the SEC. Why did the SEC take them? Because FSU and Miami turned down the SEC and they needed a 12th team to have a championship game.

USuc's SEC record through 2010 is 55-88-1!

Oct 31, 2011, 4:35 PM

Just sayin'!

Hall of Fame Material Here !***

Oct 31, 2011, 3:15 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^best thing read today.***

Oct 31, 2011, 3:21 PM

Just to clarify....

Oct 31, 2011, 3:31 PM

Joe Morrison actually brought his mistress from Albuquerque to Cola with him. He bought her an expensive condo on the lake and, as you alluded, was supporting two families and keeping both close at hand.

There were some legal issues regarding his estate after he died so suddenly and tragically, but I've never been able to discover if his wife actually knew about the "other arrangement" until after his death. It would be difficult to believe she had no idea at all....but hey, maybe she was one of those "Rogue Mormons"

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Vote this into the HOF***

Oct 31, 2011, 3:39 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did their mascot actually get arrested for bathroom activity***

Oct 31, 2011, 3:45 PM

Oct 31, 2011, 4:17 PM

This is really a pot meet kettle article. Neither programs have a clean past. Clemson has a better history of winning at football, but it is stupid to bring up stuff like steroids & president scandals when both schools have had their share of problems.

Case in point:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_South_Carolina_steroid_scandal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clemson_University_steroid_scandal

Is that all you've got?

Nov 1, 2011, 8:18 AM

Seems more like pot meet Grand Canyon.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2011, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Delusional chickens (long) ]

Good point about the steroid scandal. I stand corrected as I was completely unaware of the track member at Clemson. The scary thing is that I was in school at CU during this time and didn't know about it!

Was this your TAPS photo?

Nov 1, 2011, 8:53 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Was this your TAPS photo?

Nov 1, 2011, 12:57 PM

Now that's funny. I don't care who you are.

the usuck football coaches were practically forcing usuck

Nov 1, 2011, 8:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Delusional chickens (long) ]

players to take steroids. Huge difference.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They do have an ACC championship.***

Oct 31, 2011, 4:43 PM

Wasn't that vacated?***

Nov 1, 2011, 7:46 AM

Re: They do have an ACC championship.***

Nov 1, 2011, 8:54 AM [ in reply to They do have an ACC championship.*** ]

I think he's talking about what they've accomplished since their last back to back wins against us.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was counting from 1970.***

Nov 1, 2011, 8:54 AM [ in reply to They do have an ACC championship.*** ]

Nov 1, 2011, 8:49 AM

add to that that the chickens are 1 of only 5 div 1 teams to have never been to a major bowl game or have never finished in the top 10!

Although you started at 1970,

Nov 1, 2011, 9:56 AM

I feel compelled to mention the late 60s probation. This was where the chicken athletic department was paying football and basketball players from a slush fund. Apparently most chicken faithful don't know about it or ignore this in their past.

If there had been a death penalty at that time, USuC would have gotten it for this behavior. Talk about a program and school out of control!! I usually just point the feathered folks to the NCAA website and the PDF of the letter of infractions.

Funny how that episode is never brought up, only Clemson's probation.

Do you happen to still have that link? It may come handy

Nov 1, 2011, 9:59 AM

when some coot inevitably calls me and Clemson cheaters.

Re: Do you happen to still have that link? It may come handy

Nov 1, 2011, 11:31 AM

https://web1.ncaa.org/LSDBi/exec/miSearch?miSearchSubmit=publicReport&key=201&publicTerms=THIS%20PHRASE%20WILL%20NOT%20BE%20REPEATED

You may be right because the secret slush fund was

Nov 1, 2011, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Although you started at 1970, ]

actually set up by the usuck Athletic Director and its head football coach......it would've been hard to deny there was "lack of institutional control"

They didn't have control of the slush fund?

Nov 1, 2011, 10:15 AM

Sounds to me like the institution was controlling it just fine. ;)

lol---true***

Nov 1, 2011, 10:18 AM

Your welcome.

Nov 1, 2011, 10:28 AM [ in reply to Although you started at 1970, ]
USuC1967.pdf(95.3 K)

Institution: University of South Carolina, Columbia Date: January 8, 1967

Violation Sumary: Improper financial aid; extra benefits; improper recruiting entertainment, lodging and transportation; tryouts; eligibility; improper administration of financial aid; outside fund.

Penalty Summary: Men's basketball: two-year postseason ban. Football: two-year postseason ban, two-year television ban.

Involved Sports:
Football, Men's Basketball

Involved Penalties:
Television: 2 yrs Reduction in Financial Aid: No
Postseason: 2 yrs Recruiting: No
Probation: 2 yrs Show Cause Action: No
Vacation of Record: No

You are much too generous with the scandals

Nov 1, 2011, 10:10 AM

ie for example an ex administrator embezzled 50K and one of their ex-deans was found guilty of larceny from a previous school and had to resign. Also a side note, one of their ex-mascots was accused of grouping a woman some time ago. Perhaps I need to resurrect my anti-gamecock site again.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic