Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I imagine I'm in the minority here, but I'll just say it:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

I imagine I'm in the minority here, but I'll just say it:

Sep 22, 2011, 10:02 AM

I don't like the "F*** the Seminoles" chant.

Not a classy move, and it doesn't paint a good picture of our fanbase. It's right up there with the "woo hoo." If my Tigers are going to rise back to prominence, I'd prefer they do it while displaying dignity and pride.

And this is coming from someone who despises FSU almost as much as Georgia Tech and the coots.

Having said that, GO TIGERS!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"The rock has strange powers. When you rub it, and run down the hill, the adrenaline flows. It’s the most emotional experience I’ve ever had." -Michael Dean Perry

"If you don't like Clemson, something is wrong with YOU." -Dabo Swinney

I might be the only student who agrees with you

Sep 22, 2011, 10:15 AM

I hate it, but most of my friends seem to love it for some idiotic reason. They think they're so clever, "look at us, we threw an f-bomb into your cheer and made it our own!!!" But it's hardly original and it shows no class. When I ask them to stop and to just yell on defense, they keep doing it just to irritate me (they do the woohoo just to irritate me as well). THEN they have the nerve to tell me I take the game too seriously and that I need to get off steroids. Little b@stards. Rant over sorry

Photobucket
My bad Trevor

It just comes across as aiding them in their chant.

Sep 22, 2011, 10:38 AM

Need to do something completely different and just drown them out.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

I agree completely on all of your statement.

Sep 22, 2011, 10:16 AM

My reasoning is:

If we do that in Death Valley it just sounds like we are all doing their chant. The players can't tell the difference so all we are doing is supporting them. Then people do the arm motion while giving the middle finger. Also just supports them.

With that being said. I do love when GT plays their chant and at the end we all say "you suck!" Still not classy but priceless.

I disagree, the players know exactly what that chant is.***

Sep 22, 2011, 10:25 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Agree ... the "YOU SUCK!" at the end of the GT

Sep 22, 2011, 11:23 AM [ in reply to I agree completely on all of your statement. ]

band tag is not classy. But, I love yelling it!

I will never do the FSU cheer, though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

The woo hoo is stupid. The FSU chant is obscene.

Sep 22, 2011, 10:19 AM

If fans shout things like that their team deserves to lose, Clemson fans or not.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't like it simply from the fact that every other

Sep 22, 2011, 10:19 AM

fanbase in the ACC does it also.

I've stated my personal opposition to the "chant"...

Sep 22, 2011, 10:21 AM

...and, obviously, refrain from participating.

I find it flies in the face of all that being a Son of Clemson stands for. It reeks of Wolfpackery or Terrapinology.

That said, this is not the ditch I choose to die in. And if the Noles wouldn't use the chant, our folks wouldn't reply in kind.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Speaking of the Wolfpack , on a similar note - when

Sep 22, 2011, 10:42 AM

their "white shoes" team was smashed in the Valley in the '60's , someone put up a large "Forni cate the Pack" sign in the North stands (without the gap in case this will be filtered). It didn't make it until game time before well-reasoned people had it removed.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I prefer the "Down with the Seminoles" anti-war chant***

Sep 22, 2011, 10:36 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Water the Point Tree

I agree. I'd sooner "Woo Hoo" than do the "F the Noles"

Sep 22, 2011, 10:40 AM

chant with the chop.

And I'll never Woo Hoo.

The mocking chop chant is beneath our fanbase.

null

Re: I imagine I'm in the minority here, but I'll just say it:

Sep 22, 2011, 10:47 AM

The F*** the Seminoles chant gets the student section rocking. And yes players do understand what the chant is saying and it is intimidating.
http://www.tigernet.com/view/player_update.do?id=2814

Seminoles players talking about how loud death vally way and how surprised they were at the profanities. We want to intimidate, doesnt matter how we do. This is football, not interpretative dance. We dont have to be nice all the time

Sep 22, 2011, 10:50 AM

You and other "Tigers" should never complain about WVU or MD fans then, and you are lumping my alma mater right in their with the thug U's. Oh and what a nice word for the little Tigers at the game get to hear.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your username is quite fitting.

Sep 22, 2011, 10:51 AM [ in reply to Re: I imagine I'm in the minority here, but I'll just say it: ]

People with small children attend those games and they see how the Clemson student body reacts. I don't think this is the correct image to send along. If you don't understand this than you are part of the problem.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hmmm. Pretty sure putting points on the board will

Sep 22, 2011, 10:52 AM [ in reply to Re: I imagine I'm in the minority here, but I'll just say it: ]

intimidate more than shouting the "F"-word a few times.

And you're right. We don't have to be nice. We're aggressive, and Death Valley is a heck of a stadium to play in.

But we're representatives of a great university while we're in there. We can be aggressive without being obscene. It is possible.

"The rock has strange powers. When you rub it, and run down the hill, the adrenaline flows. It’s the most emotional experience I’ve ever had." -Michael Dean Perry

It's people like you that make up other fanbases we hate

Sep 22, 2011, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Re: I imagine I'm in the minority here, but I'll just say it: ]

Clemson has a reputation of being one of the loudest venues in sports but also the cleanest. You are doing your best to ruin that, without even being savvy about it. "Just swear a lot and we'll intimidate people, #### yeah dude!!" Go back up north and cuss at other jersey-wearing NFL fans.

Photobucket
My bad Trevor

Re: It's people like you that make up other fanbases we hate

Sep 22, 2011, 11:09 AM

Wow I am from the south #######. And you are just showing how ignorant you are by saying im from the north because i cuss. Go cry to your mom if you dont like it.

Well sir, you certainly are no Southern Gentleman***

Sep 22, 2011, 11:13 AM

Photobucket
My bad Trevor

Re: Well sir, you certainly are no Southern Gentleman***

Sep 22, 2011, 11:15 AM

So everyone not born and raised in the south cant be polite. Wow, and just because someone cusses at a game they have to be from the north. God, stuck up red neck fans like you are the true embarrassment.

You're out of line on this one. acraftytiger is correct here.***

Sep 22, 2011, 11:17 AM

Settle down guy.

Redneck??? Goodness no. I'm not even country

Sep 22, 2011, 11:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Well sir, you certainly are no Southern Gentleman*** ]

For what it's worth, rednecks are just as bad as northerners when it comes to classlessness. I am neither. So by swearing and making an ### out of yourself and the rest of our noble fanbase, you are the one that should be deemed a redneck, whether you are or not.

Photobucket
My bad Trevor

Logic like that earns a point from me any day of the week.

Sep 22, 2011, 11:19 AM

au contraire...profanity, especially in a mixed crowd is***

Sep 22, 2011, 11:40 AM [ in reply to Re: I imagine I'm in the minority here, but I'll just say it: ]

au contraire......profanity, especially in a mixed crowd ,is

Sep 22, 2011, 11:42 AM [ in reply to Re: I imagine I'm in the minority here, but I'll just say it: ]

never cool...Show some class.

This is the one thing that CU does that embarasses me

Sep 22, 2011, 11:00 AM

I am ashamed of this behavior and would do anything I could to stop it. It brings us down to the level of others I find disgusting. Not all students think this is clever. All three of my kids are students at CU right now and they think it is stupid and repulsive. WE ARE BETTER THAN THAT - well maybe not. (written with sad resignation)

I'm in full agreement with you....but

Sep 22, 2011, 11:03 AM

its difficult to condemn anyone for doing it because FlaSt's been doing it to opposing teams for years......they've certainly brought it on themselves.

Since The Boss sits next to me at each game, I'd never participate for fear of a painful jab in the ribs...:~)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This seems like a very old topic. We don't have to noble.

Sep 22, 2011, 11:46 AM [ in reply to This is the one thing that CU does that embarasses me ]

we don't have to be a@@es either. I perfer the middle. What does being nice get us and what does being an ### get you. Either way just be loud on defense and quiet on offense.

Grandma Vacuums Cat GIF - Grandma Vacuums Cat
see more Gifs

Nobility + niceness = two VERY different concepts.

Sep 22, 2011, 11:47 AM

I agree with some of what you say, though.

I agree. It accomplishes nothing good. For those who

Sep 22, 2011, 11:04 AM

think it is intimidating, I would imagine it's only slightly so, if at all. They're so used to seeing it done by other fanbases that it's probably old hat by now.

I don't do it either... BUT

Sep 22, 2011, 11:37 AM

it is fun when we're beating FSU in the fourth quarter and they're doing their chant in vain, to join in.

GO TIGERS

you're a student & you're that big of a panzy?

Sep 22, 2011, 11:41 AM

appealing to the elder majority on tigernet with your straight edgedness?

i'm ashamed of you young weakling.

Tell me you're being sarcastic.

Sep 22, 2011, 11:43 AM

Please.

College students curse. Quite brazenly & publicly.

Sep 22, 2011, 11:47 AM

Posting on tigernet isn't going to change this Millennium-long fact.

That's an unfortunate perspective you have.

Sep 22, 2011, 11:49 AM

Just because people do it and have been doing it for a long time doesn't make it acceptable.

Didn't say it was acceptable.

Sep 22, 2011, 11:51 AM

Said it was moot to try to change it.

And the fact you started with "i'm probably the minority here, but..." knowing good and well that you're not the minority here because most of T-Net shares in your conservative values. :)

Considering how many Tiger fans passionately hate FSU,

Sep 22, 2011, 11:54 AM

I did believe I'd be in the minority. I've met plenty of older Tiger fans who love the chant every bit as much as those in the student section.

And I didn't state that I was trying to change anything, as you seem to believe. I was merely stating an opinion.

I agree with you here, but...

Sep 22, 2011, 11:49 AM

Florida State uses their repetitive chant to get in people's heads. That is why they play it more than any other team in the nation plays a chant or fight song. If you can turn it on them at all and actually have fun with it, you should. Definitely not saying that the profanity is needed; if we had another way, I would support it.

I think the most acceptable response would be to

Sep 22, 2011, 11:51 AM

drown them out with Clemson chants.

As somebody posted earlier, the Seminoles hear the same obscene version of their song from every other ACC school, so I doubt it affects them at all these days.

glad I'm not bringing my 6 yr old nephew with me.***

Sep 22, 2011, 12:31 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2011, 12:37 PM

I'm with you - I've never liked it, I think it's childish and makes any fan who does it on TV look really bad. This is kind of a weird confession, but I actually kind of like the FSU war chant. It seems counterintuitive, but the more I like it, the less it bothers me, thus the less it messes with my head.

All that being said, I love the Georgia Tech "You suck!" chant. It's a little tasteless, yes, but it isn't *profane*...and after all, they invite the whole stadium to do it over, and over, and over. Also it expresses my exact feelings for Georgia Tech...

Especially with little kids at the game***

Sep 22, 2011, 12:38 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In 1989, Clemson fans did the chant as: "FFFFF-SSSSS-UUUUU

Sep 22, 2011, 12:47 PM

Ohhhhh-and-twooooooooo!"

Of course it helped that they were 0-1 and we were beating their Nole-fannies in Doak when we did it... :)

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

http://www.cutigers.com/2009/football/virginia/slides/_KWB7614a.jpg

I'm with you on the FSU chant, but what about...

Sep 23, 2011, 9:40 AM

"####" and "d@mnit?" How do people feel about those cheers, e.g.,"Cockadoodle-doo,Cockadoodle-doo, carolina gamecocks to #### with you!"?

I'm just curious.

GO TIGERS!!!!!

Sep 23, 2011, 9:43 AM

I prefer to just beat em , then play "we will rock you "

You can like it or dislike it, but....

Sep 23, 2011, 10:25 AM

no matter what, it is gonna be done tomorrow.

That's just how it is.

And I guarantee that the student section won't be the only one chanting it.

Its is funny, but not classy

Sep 23, 2011, 10:28 AM

I would much rather try to fix the dumb students that Say C L E M S O... MotherF#*kin N.

That is one of the most classless things I have ever heard, and a disgrace to Clemson

Sep 23, 2011, 11:46 AM

Absolutely no place for this chant just like W. Va. recognizes their shirt was not appropriate at all! Profane language is not acceptable in the stadium, especially with a number of young children in the stands.

Just because "the students do it" doesn't make it right under any circumstance! Our society reflects a clear lack of sportsmanship in a variety of ways and while no Tiger fan likes FSU, the impression we leave to a national audience either makes Clemson look quite "lound and proud" or just like so many other schools our fanbase constantly complain about as being classless!

Clemson is better than that! Being drunk doesn't help our collective image either.

Go Tigers!

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic