Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
First Game Back
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 2,312

First Game Back

Sep 7, 2011, 5:10 AM

I lost my Dad last October 2nd. Due to his illness I did not make it to Clemson at all last year. After his death I did not feel I could attend a game. Saturday morning, myself and my boys loaded up and headed to the Valley. My emotions were running all over the place. We arrived and parked, headed to Knickerbockers, soaked up all the beauty that is Clemson. Headed back to the car and tail gated. My mind raced back to all the trips Daddy and I took, all the games we had seen together. I told the boys about an hour and a half before kick off lets go. We walked to the stadium and went on in. I went to dads old seats and sat down. It was as if he were sitting there right beside me, I closed my eyes and we were yelling and jumping, hugging. I thought this would help me be prepared for kickoff, I was wrong. As we went to our seats I was doing well, until our Tigers gathered at the top of the Hill. Folks, I completely lost it. As we ran down the Hill the tears streamed down my face. I cried until Sammy caught the touchdown pass. Dont ever, never, let anyone tell you that Clemson is not a special place. For just a moment Saturday, I was a little boy again with my Dad. We were in Clemson to watch our Tigers, and all was right with the world!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Awesome story. There is no place like Clemson

Sep 7, 2011, 5:29 AM

Now you are building what you and your father had with your kids.

Thanks for sharing***

Sep 7, 2011, 6:20 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its been 40 years since Daddy died...

Sep 7, 2011, 6:37 AM

last night I dreamed I owned a Cadillac. Somehow it just turned out to be his green '58 Deville and I had it in the shop for a window regulator. His 71 Peterbilt was there when I went to fetch the caddy home so I paid the bill on the tractor. I thought $2950 was a little high for the both but saw the invoice for two new tires for the tractor. I was proud to give him back something, knowing I owed a debt I couldn't repay. I guess thats why I woke up so early. I had a good cry.

Its kinda nice to know that you are neither alone nor crazy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Its been 40 years since Daddy died...

Sep 7, 2011, 9:29 AM

Man, you have a very complicated mind, bro.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re: First Game Back

Sep 7, 2011, 7:05 AM

You are so right. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you for sharing that story.***

Sep 7, 2011, 7:07 AM

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

Wonderful Story. Thanks so much for sharing.

Sep 7, 2011, 8:09 AM

Please continue that tradition with your kids so they will have those same feelings and memories that you do.

That is what makes Clemson so special.

Go Tigers!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for sharing and God Bless, brother!!***

Sep 7, 2011, 8:28 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Sep 7, 2011, 9:25 AM

Great story, thanks for sharing...I fondly remember Clemson games with my Dad. He's still alive, but hasn't attended a games since his stroke a few years ago. He just turned 90 and sits in his Lazy Boy and watches the games on TV when he can and listens on the radio when he can't get the game on TV. I've been attending the games and tailgating with my adult sons for a few years now, the memories are special.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 7, 2011, 10:20 PM

Thanks for a wonderful life story!

I'm hoping I can maintain my composure when I return this year. The game will be 28 years to the day since I was last there. I'm also taking my Marine, younger son, and his girlfriend to the game for his,(and her) first time to Clemson...
IT'S BEEN TOO LONG! I've missed it so much..there's been several blessing involved in creating this trip.
Clemson IS a special place, that only a few get to experience.
Thanks for allowing me to reflect a moment, and thanks again for these wonderful posts.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 7, 2011, 10:45 PM

Chuck, Thanks for sharing this with us. Your dad was well known in the Kingstree, Lake City, Andrews, Hemingway, Manning area as a great radio personality. I always thought his newspaper(written) work was superior to his radio work. In fact, that written work even made Coot people like him due to his ribbing of them and anyone else in our area that deserved ribbing. He was a genius with his written work. Based on your message above, I see the "apple has not fallen far from the tree". Thanks...jaybird4

Sep 7, 2011, 11:21 PM

I felt like you did my first game back in DV in 2009. Dad passed away in Dec. 2008 and I was OK until they started the Alma Mater. I couldn't sing a word, and just barly got my arm to wave at the end.
I do better now. So many of his class is with him, and his army buddies as well. Keep that chin up, 'cuz Dad always told me a Clemson gentleman needs no Introduction.

Ron Wright

Sep 7, 2011, 11:55 PM

awesome awesome post. sorry for your lost. and much love to you and your family. GO TIGERS AND A TRUE TIGER DAD.

Replies: 13
| visibility 2,312
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic