Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The most embarrasing thing yesterday...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 119
| visibility 1

The most embarrasing thing yesterday...

Sep 4, 2011, 9:01 PM

Was the student section.

That. Was. Horrible.

There weren't that many students even to start the game. And after halftime it was absolutely disgusting.

Until Clemson University stops letting in so many out of state students, our future fan base will suck. These out of state kids simply don't care.

The Clemson fan base has gone from a bunch of in-state, born and raised Clemson fans coming from Clemson families, to a bunch of nerds getting into a school that cares a heck of a lot more about Academics than Athletics.

Now that is embarrasing.

Im 16 years old I'm not even old enough to get into Clemson yet. But it is getting so hard to get in I don't even know if I will. All I know is that I've waited my whole life to go to Clemson and I love them to death, but when some kid from across the country gets into Clemson instead of me, that's going to suck.

If I get into Clemson I can guarantee you I will never miss a football, basketball, and probably baseball game.

Instead though, Clemson is going to let in kids that leave after the 1st half.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The most embarrasing thing yesterday...

Sep 4, 2011, 9:03 PM

Point for you Son. Study hard.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

he's off to a bad start

Sep 5, 2011, 12:57 PM

69% thread. That's a failing grade

Re: he's off to a bad start

Sep 5, 2011, 7:35 PM

I agree, we should stop admitting out of state students so we can have more people interested in our football program. That makes total and complete sense to me. ;)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 4, 2011, 9:06 PM

You can thank TDP and D'Andrea for that. They moved part of the students to the top deck and it's never been the same.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 4, 2011, 9:16 PM

> You can thank TDP and D'Andrea for that. They moved
> part of the students to the top deck and it's never
> been the same.

Huh? Part of the students were in the upper deck when I attended Clemson from 82-86. I remember sitting in the upper deck for a few games my Freshman year.

Sep 4, 2011, 9:22 PM

when i started in 2000, there weren't any students in the upperdeck. somewhere along the way, the fire marshall made them drop the number of hill tickets given out so they started putting students in the corners of the uppderdeck.

Sep 7, 2011, 11:52 AM [ in reply to Re: The most embarrasing thing yesterday... ]

Yep...I was there from '86 to '90 and I didn't get lower deck seats until my junior year. Of course we also packed it out for a 1:00 game against Furman and didn't whine about kickoff times like folks do now.

I'm with you, but let's check it next week...

Sep 4, 2011, 9:06 PM

Labor Day Weekend?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm with you, but let's check it next week...

Sep 4, 2011, 9:20 PM

Nope they have class on monday. Upper deck? u serious? When I was a freshman,I always sat on the hill.

Re: To me

Sep 4, 2011, 9:15 PM

It was the booing at half, some fans don't know their role either. Now that was horrible with recruits there.

were we hosting mentally handicapped recruits?

Sep 4, 2011, 9:19 PM

If not, they probably saw the first half.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

also...

Sep 4, 2011, 9:28 PM [ in reply to Re: To me ]

"some fans don't know their role either"

Seriously, you people kill me. People are forking out $50 and more to go to the game (many are giving a heck of a lot more for IPTAY) and I guess their role is to sit there and take it up the rear for the TDPs and James Barkers?

Anybody who has posted on here for any time knows that I am not one to bash the coaches or administration, but this is just simply a ridiculous mindset.

This is not the 1950's anymore when you can take your family to the game for $10. People sacrifice to support the team and University. They should be able to have a voice!

Pulse me down all you want you tigernet pansies!

I'll still be at 100% :P

you gotta cheat code or sumthin, mayn? I wanna stay at 69%***

Sep 4, 2011, 9:40 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no...

Sep 4, 2011, 9:42 PM

I'm a message board hero and I've got so many pulse ups it will take forever to bring me down. ;)

You are an inspiration to me, sir.

Sep 4, 2011, 9:45 PM

Unfortunately, I've got a holier than thou TD bandit, hot on my trail.

lol***

Sep 4, 2011, 9:48 PM

Post funny pictures of Darth Barak ... that will get you

Sep 6, 2011, 12:51 PM [ in reply to you gotta cheat code or sumthin, mayn? I wanna stay at 69%*** ]

some points.

:)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: also...

Sep 5, 2011, 4:40 PM [ in reply to also... ]

Nope and folks aren't making $0.85 an hour either.
The cost hasn't changed as much as it has for most things.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

Re: To me

Sep 5, 2011, 8:45 AM [ in reply to Re: To me ]

My goodness. Is there a list of instructions that we need to abide by? Should we start carrying our papers to be a Clemson fan?

Same here.

Sep 4, 2011, 9:20 PM

Im 16 as well. I doubt I will go to Clemson either. I can go ahead and count it out as for the stories I've been hearing from all over. I mean wow. If a miracle happens and I do go to the Heaven Campus I will go to ever game imaginable!

You can always go to tech and transfer...or you could

Sep 4, 2011, 10:56 PM

study harder.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

I heard a story the other day of a kid with a 3.5 gpa not...

Sep 5, 2011, 12:32 AM

being able to get into Clemson. Now if it's that hard for an in state student to get into Clemson, Barker has completely changed what Clemson has meant to this state for over a hundred years.

It's not about high school GPA. It's about SAT scores,

Sep 5, 2011, 11:17 AM

extracurriculars, and class rank (which plays into GPA, but you need to succeed in honors courses).

The kid could be taking regular track classes and making Bs while another kid could be taking honors and making Bs with the same GPA.

And yeah, Clemson is changing. We aren't agriculturally focused like Clemson once was. Clemson focuses on research, engineering and the sciences. You need to be academically successful to get into Clemson, and I like it that way. We aren't USC.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's not about high school GPA. It's about SAT scores,

Sep 5, 2011, 10:04 PM

Agriculturally intelligent people put food in front of you and your family everyday. You can thank a Clemson Ag graduate next time you feed your face

GPA matters still***

Sep 7, 2011, 11:47 AM [ in reply to It's not about high school GPA. It's about SAT scores, ]

Barker Didn't Do It

Sep 6, 2011, 8:56 AM [ in reply to I heard a story the other day of a kid with a 3.5 gpa not... ]

Talk to your state government - they are the ones that decided not to fund Clemson much anymore. I bet if you looked at percentage of students Clemson takes from instate versus the percentage of funding Clemson gets from the state things have actually relatively improved since Barker started. Because the percentage of Clemson students from in state hasn't fallen as much as the funding percentage has.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As a lifelong fan turned student

Sep 4, 2011, 9:25 PM

You are so right. Student section was awesome when I was in middle school and high school. When I was a freshman in 09 I felt disappointed like it wasn't nearly as great as I thought it would be. Completely agree with your reasoning

Photobucket
My bad Trevor

That's a broad brush you're painting with. My daughter

Sep 4, 2011, 9:26 PM

is an out-of-state student, as are a number of her friends, and they do care about games and are there.

You are not the average father of an out-of-state student...

Sep 4, 2011, 9:43 PM

You have over 7000 posts on tigernet. You simply raised your daughter well! :)

Re: That's a broad brush you're painting with. My daughter

Sep 4, 2011, 9:43 PM [ in reply to That's a broad brush you're painting with. My daughter ]

Okay, really. For the past day I have read things about everything at Clemson. I am a recent graduate, and I have no idea what you are talking about. You step on that campus, you have to like sports. Frankly, Clemson is not a destination to do a lot of things. I have heard from out of state students who said the reason they came was to be a part of an atmosphere like you have at Clemson sporting events. I was lucky enough to sit with my brother in the student section last year during the USC game. Even during that painful beating. We stood there and took it. We are not South Carolina.

Also, don't judge students for not going to every bball and baseball game. Football is easy because it is on Saturday and the campus shuts down. Campus does not shut down for baseball and basketball games. We do attend Clemson to get an education, not just to attend sporting events.

Frankly, I do not understand the harshness people have to Clemson trying to strive to provide a better education to its students. Trust me, I was graduate student at Wake Forest, where everyone is a northerner. Clemson does a very good job of making sure South Carolina is well represented on campus. It is a South Carolina state school and will continue to be.

That being said... keep working and I hope you get in Clemson. If you do get in, not only are you going to have a blast socially and at sporting events, but you will also receive a pretty good education on top of it.

Sep 4, 2011, 9:43 PM

Blame the frats and sororities ;)

You are 100% in control of whether you're accepted into CU

Sep 4, 2011, 9:44 PM

If you want to be there in a few years as a student, then you've gotta take care of business. If you get beat out by some kid that doesn't give a lick about Clemson sports, that's on you...period.

As I tell my students, "you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you."

Photobucket

Rocky Balboa?

Sep 4, 2011, 10:03 PM

Yep. Ali usually does the trick, too.***

Sep 4, 2011, 10:16 PM

Photobucket

I would agree with that IF acceptance were solely based on

Sep 5, 2011, 12:33 PM [ in reply to You are 100% in control of whether you're accepted into CU ]

academics (grades, test scores, AP courses, etc.). I even agree with "tie breakers" when they look at volunteer/service/extracurricular activities.

But that is not all that plays into the acceptance procedures.

I can't honestly believe you wrote that.

Sep 4, 2011, 9:52 PM

You are completely generalizing every out-of-state student off of that? My grandfathers, mother, father, and uncles all attended Clemson and guess what- I am an out-of-state student. Clemson also pays over 75% of my tuition. I grew up attending games as a child and have never missed one while in school. I stay the entire game every single time. As do most out-of-state students. The students that I see leaving every game are the students who have grown up with Clemson football from SOUTH CAROLINA.. these blessed "in-state" students you refer to... who have seen enough Clemson games to not mind missing some as a student to get drunk and tailgate.

Do not speak about things when you don't know what you are talking about.

I care about Clemson athletics more than most people do, but there is nothing wrong with Clemson striving for some academic notoriety. You want your degree to be worth something I'm assuming?

So maybe you should be a little more appreciative of all of those "out-of-staters" that help Clemson gain a little more national recognition... maybe one day when you are searching for a job in a horrible economy you will appreciate that.

And for the record... Just because I'm smart and have a scholarship doesn't mean I'm a nerd.. I'm in a sorority, I participate in charity work, I have an internship, I attend sporting events, I am a member of the student alumni association, I play intramurals, I'm part of a dance team here...... There is nothing wrong with being smart and a hard-working productive member of campus. THAT is how you get into Clemson.

Pic?

Sep 4, 2011, 10:19 PM

Hey somebody had to ask

It is T-net after all

:)

You know there aren't any real girls on teh interwebs!

Sep 5, 2011, 8:40 AM

;)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I told my adviser my Sophomore year of HS that I wanted to

Sep 4, 2011, 9:54 PM

go to Clemson. She laughed and said that I should accept that I wasnt cut out for it. College isnt for everybody. My HS FB coach refused to look at me at QB. He said that me at QB would be a joke without ever seeing me throw. My last two years of HS, I took AP courses and made a 4.2 both years. I walked onto the Clemson FB team and played QB. Im going to graduate in May with a 3.0+ GPA from Clemson University. Dont ever allow yourself to think that you cant do it, kid. And #### the student section. I cant stand the way they are and thats why I sit in the stands and cheer.

QB's sit in the stands?

Sep 4, 2011, 10:21 PM

I thought those benches on the sidelines were for you guys.

Re: QB's sit in the stands?

Sep 4, 2011, 10:41 PM

Injured my throwing shoulder really bad a couple years ago. Had to quit.

Re: QB's sit in the stands?

Sep 5, 2011, 11:16 AM

Willy
William
Bill
Billiam

That you Korn?

Billy Luckie?***

Sep 6, 2011, 12:43 PM [ in reply to I told my adviser my Sophomore year of HS that I wanted to ]

80's

Sep 4, 2011, 10:09 PM

In the 80's during ford era there were always students in the upper deck. Virtually every freshman got either the hill or the upper deck. Sounds the same to me. And yes, a lot of students were nerds. Me included. Clemson has always been a strong school with grate engineering. Contrary to popular belief, it is still a school first. If you don't like that, grant your family estate to the state like Thomas Greene Clemson for a land grant institution and admit stupid, but popular cool kids so the student section looks great on tv. To the young man who wants to go to Clemson, work hard. If you don't get in as a freshman, go to a bridge program like spartanburg methodist and transfer. The difference between a dream and a fantasy id the effort you are willing to put into it.

Is grate engineering a branch of M.E. or Civil?

Sep 5, 2011, 10:53 AM

Just kidding! The engineer in me coming out.

Its clear you have no clue what you're talking about

Sep 4, 2011, 10:15 PM

Clemson has always accepted its share of out of state fans. In fact the percentage has gone down slightly over the past several years.

The problem isn't the out-of-state students its the fact that many students are just apathetic or more interested in doing other things. Students always seem to complain about the alumni/IPTAY folks not supporting the team but I have seen far too many examples of the students failing to live up to the standards of students from years past in terms of their support for the Tigers.

I never missed a home game (and never left before the alma mater was finished) the entire time I was at Clemson because it was important to me. That student decide they would rather go party instead of going to the game is a clear indication of what is important to them. I find that a rather sad statement but not surprising given the instant gratification demands that so prevades our society these days.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As a student in the mid 80's.....

Sep 4, 2011, 10:28 PM

We sat on the home side, lower deck, seems like the first 2 or 3 sections near the endzone, hill end. The band was there also.

And PS: When it was rocking.... the opponent couldnt hear themselves think.

If thats no longer the case ....Someone might want to get a clue.

It all works together.

As a lifelong Clemson fan, literally born there to students, I remember beating the Oklahomas,Nebraskas,Penn States,etc,etc...

It all works together, and sticking the students out of the action is a mistake.

I just wish our cheerleaders were like they were in the 80's

Sep 4, 2011, 10:32 PM

We had the same # of male cheerleaders as females, and they led students in cheers and yelling. Now we have about 30 female cheerleaders that do absolutely nothing.

Re: As a student in the mid 80's.....

Sep 4, 2011, 10:50 PM [ in reply to As a student in the mid 80's..... ]

As a freshman in '86 I sat on the top row of the upper deck in the student section. At that time students were effectively where they are now: on the hill, next to the hill and in the upper deck. The band was on the other side of the hill (in the middle of the students). The location of the students isn't the problem. Students have been in the upper deck for a long time its just that now they don't stay there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"those out of state students don't care"

Sep 4, 2011, 10:55 PM

That's the most ignorant statement I've ever read on TigerNet.

You do realize that 3/4 our football team is from out of state?

Sep 4, 2011, 11:07 PM

Clemson enrolls just as many out-of-state students as they did 20 years ago. The fact that this is difficult for you to understand tells me that you won't be getting into Clemson. Enjoy Tri-County!

was the booing***

Sep 4, 2011, 11:09 PM

Stop playing games and start doing your homework...

Sep 4, 2011, 11:09 PM

I love you for loving Clemson but if you want a good education you have to be prepared to receive it. You just can't put a gallon in a quart jar.

Now get your orange ### to work before you get left behind.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 4, 2011, 11:30 PM

Good post.

I'll let the administration know that they should stop accepting smarter students from out of state into their academic institution. I'm sure that will go over well.

Stereotyping out-of-state students was also a good call. I'm sure if you get in, you attending each and every game will make a huge difference in the appearance of the entire student section.

Did you ever think that maybe that "some kid from across the country" deserves it more? Maybe you should study more and stop posting on T-Net.

Maybe then you'll be worthy of becoming one of those students you are talking trash about in this thread. Until that day, enjoy Tri-County and stay on your side of the bridge.

Sincerely,

A Clemson Student from NC that was there until the final cannon.

or some kid from india who is not a citizen will get your...

Sep 5, 2011, 12:23 AM

spot

saw 4 Indian students at the game

Sep 5, 2011, 12:26 PM

saturday decked out in Clemson gear.

generalizations for the win

Did you make it to Charlotte in time? You must've left early***

Sep 5, 2011, 12:28 PM

Sep 5, 2011, 12:48 AM

you do know that some of those out of state students played big parts on winning the game yesterday, right?

3 things:

Sep 5, 2011, 12:53 AM

1) I hope you DO get into Clemson and love every second of it.
2) Athletics are more important than Academics. Have fun in college.
3) Go Tigers.

Wasn't just the student section

Sep 5, 2011, 1:08 AM

Looked like the upper decks got a bit more sparse after the first half.

GO TIGERS

I went to Clemson and you are wrong about out of state

Sep 5, 2011, 1:14 AM

kids not caring about football; most of them do. There are some intellectual kids who get in, I was one of them, however, I made it to #### near every football and baseball game I could. The main problem with going to basketball games as a student had to do with many of the games interfering with my exam schedule. I will give you a piece of advice if you do become a student: Get in line about 15-30 minutes before the earliest time you can get the tickets. Also, if you cannot get into Clemson straight out of high school, you can always do a bridge program (most students prefer Tri-County Tech to do the bridge program, however, Greenville Tech, Lander, and PC all do similar programs as well, I believe.)

"cares a heck of a lot more about Academics than Athletics"

Sep 5, 2011, 2:24 AM

Sorry, you lost me when you tried to phrase this as if it were somehow a bad thing.

I'm pretty sure Thomas Green Clemson didn't mention athletics anywhere in his will.

I love Clemson and I want the athletic teams to perform well, win games, and represent our school in a positive way.

But, the university exists as an academic institution first and foremost.

Thomas Green Clemson would roll over in his grave if

Sep 5, 2011, 8:43 AM

he knew that students in this state wanted to attend, but could not because of a goal this administration has to be ranked in some magazine.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm pretty sure he would be more upset about ...

Sep 5, 2011, 10:32 AM

... what it took to get the institution established and the continued poor support the institution receives from the state of South Carolina 120+ years later.

If you are going to complain about the number of out of state students that attend Clemson, you should complain to the South Carolina legislature, not the Clemson administration. Out of state students pay more money to attend and help offset the loss of funding from the state.

By the way, Clemson himself was from out of state.

Re: I'm pretty sure he would be more upset about ...

Sep 5, 2011, 1:11 PM

Clemson was the original northern transplant involved with the school. He grew up and established himself in Philly and went to school in Vermont.

not going to get an argument from me about

Sep 5, 2011, 4:11 PM [ in reply to I'm pretty sure he would be more upset about ... ]

how terrible our state government is on funding education in this state.

Clemson was known in every rural community in this state through our extension offices. It appears to me, this is surely disappearing, and along with it, our sphere of influence in other parts of the state.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There seems to be a push to privatize the PSA.

Sep 6, 2011, 2:10 AM

From my understanding of Clemson and the PSA, SC legislature (and governors office past and present) would rather privatize these services than continue having them run through Clemson (in the form of county extension offices, etc.).

For some reason they believe it will be cheaper for the state. Part of the "privatize everything" viewpoint that is rampant in American politics I suppose. But I don't want to turn this into a political discussion.

I call baloney

Sep 6, 2011, 9:34 AM [ in reply to Thomas Green Clemson would roll over in his grave if ]

If Clemson is harder for all the students in this state to attend, then why is the in-state:out-of-state ratio roughly the same that it was before Barker came on? If anything, the reason Clemson is so much harder to get into these days is because talented SC students are staying in-state to attend, instead of feeling forced to go out of state for a superior education at places like UNC and UVA and GT. We are leveling the playing field with universities like that and keeping our brainpower in-state; if anything, that would make Thomas Green Clemson proud of the institution he established.

###! my youngest daughter will be going to clemson if i can

Sep 5, 2011, 8:37 AM

figure out how to afford the out-of-state tuition. she is a huge clemson fan. it runs in the family!

Clemson has had 65% in-state for years and years***

Sep 5, 2011, 8:38 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

counting tri-county bridge students. What about the actual

Sep 5, 2011, 8:41 AM

students on campus.

kids that would die to get into Clemson can't

Sep 5, 2011, 8:40 AM

The ones that are accepted could give a crap about football.

Definitely. Being a football fan should always...

Sep 5, 2011, 9:14 AM

... come before academic qualifications when seeking admission to Clemson.

Sep 5, 2011, 9:41 AM

For whatever reason, football games are not as important to students now as they have been in the past. I have a relative at Clemson now and just shake my head at their mindset. Not sure of the reason, but I do know it needs to be fixed, by letting in more students like you rather than those that don't care.

Anyone with half a clue doesn't judge our student fan base

Sep 5, 2011, 9:45 AM

on a September game against Troy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're 16 and you have no clue what you're writing about.

Sep 5, 2011, 9:55 AM

Other than that, you're doing great.

When you're not willing to do the work to actually earn admission to my beloved alma mater, don't try to dazzle me with your anticipated sports attendance record.

Get to work.

And...once again, the in-state/out-of-state ratio is unchanged.

null

^^^What he said.***

Sep 5, 2011, 4:26 PM

ROH

Where to begin?

Sep 5, 2011, 9:57 AM

1. It was labor day weekend, and opening day of dove season. My little brother and most of his fraternity brothers were hunting over the long weekend.

2. If you do get into Clemson and have the opportunity to tailgate with dozens of your best friends and throngs of gorgeous women, you might rather be under a tent drinking cold beers than sitting in the scorching hot sun watching an uninspired performance against a team from the Sun Belt conference. I know when I was there, my behind would be back at the tailgate if we were playing poorly or it wasn't a big game.

See that's the thing about college... there is so much to do, and you get to decide for yourself how to spend your time. Getting to the game late because you were shotgunning a few more beers or shagging with some fine breezy? Leaving at halftime to fire up the grill or just go enjoy being with people you only get to see a few weekends per year? No big deal, do what makes you happy. Nobody can tell you otherwise.

For me and my family when I was growing up, going to Clemson games was about being with our Clemson friends (largely my parents friends from their time in school). It was about going back to the place that meant so much to them for their four years there. Now that I am a graduate and have a family of my own, when I go back to Clemson it is for the exact same reasons. To see my old fraternity brothers and to enjoy each other's company and reenact our college years... To walk around campus again, and to have beers at Loose Change... Football games are a part of it, sure, but not even close to being the main reason that we all go back. We go back for love of Clemson and the memories of our time there.

3. Clemson is increasing its academic reputation, and that means that only the best and brightest students are getting in these days. When I started Clemson in 2006, I think 75% of the Palmetto Fellows recipients went to Clemson. Clemson is a UNIVERSITY, not a professional sports program. Going to school at Clemson helped get me into medical school, which is a lot more than I can say about Clemson's athletics department. Don't have the grades or SAT score to get in? Sorry dude. There are other options for secondary education available.

Sep 5, 2011, 10:41 AM

Not to mention the 100's of foreign students. CU was founded to help the poor people of SC, after the
War Between the States. We are a long way from that now.

Back in the day, there was only 1 reason to ever leave

Sep 5, 2011, 10:46 AM

1) You needed to make a quick resupply run

and you generally could make it back if you had a fast runner.

Everything else.....bio break, upchucking or PDA break you could find somewhere in the stadium.

Shame on you students :)

You tellem teenie! Skool is not for learnin. Its for chasin

Sep 5, 2011, 11:06 AM

chickies and watchin sports!

Sep 5, 2011, 12:24 PM

As long as Barker is only interested in his own legacy, things will constantly go down...there are MANY schools where academics and athletics go hand-in-hand and the schools are very successful...NO reason Clemson can not do the same...just have to love Clemson and bleed ORANGE !!!!!!!

your 16

Sep 5, 2011, 12:27 PM

you don't even know what it takes to get into college.

people want jobs you know

Sep 5, 2011, 12:28 PM

Relax Francis. It's all good.

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

I love your passion (I really do), but leave academics out

Sep 5, 2011, 12:58 PM

of this. Clemson has and should continue to strive to be the best academic institution it can be. This can work in conjunction with trying to be the best athletics institution it can. Academic and athletic success are not mutually exclusive, I promise you.

And as an out-of-stater (NC) who was born, bred, and raised to be a Clemson fan and still attends every home football ten years after my graduation, let me assure you that one's state of origin should not really be an issue either. Clemson is an academic institution first, and the better the student we admit, the higher the quality of the degree our the school offers.

If you want to go to a school that caters to in-state students with lower credentials, the University of South Carolina may be more up your alley. Or bust your ### with SAT prep and GPA and get into Clemson.

You ever consider that not everyone tinks like you?

Sep 5, 2011, 12:59 PM

How dare a studnet try to become the best chemist they can be, they should just shun it all for football and basketball games. That stuff isn;t for me, but how would the world function if everyone shunned their studies for extra activities?

Student section is getting worse, but its not because of out

Sep 5, 2011, 1:09 PM

state students... its because each new generation is more and more pansified.

I was born in and went to high school in Georgia. I am not a student now but I still watch games on the Hill with some other alum friends. Half of which are also out of state alums. We are constantly talking about how more and more students are sitting down on the Hill more often. And less and less students are yelling. There are 4 or 5 times a game when I have to turn around and yell at people for being absolutely silent during key moments.

They are on their phones texting, and more worried about chasing tail than supporting Clemson.

And to make another point about this supposed out of state student-bad fan connection my roommates when I went to school in Clemson were all three from South Carolina and they didn't care about football at all. I was shocked. I, the only out of state guy, was at every game yelling my ### off.

Being born in South Carolina doesn't make you better at anything, even being a Clemson fan.

my daughter is a student and some of the students irritate

Sep 5, 2011, 1:12 PM

her - they are rude and crude at times

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As someone who knows current downtown Clemson well

Sep 5, 2011, 1:18 PM

I can tell you that I would not send my daughter there unless I was sure she understood how evil college boys are.

as if the girls are of pure mind***

Sep 5, 2011, 3:46 PM

Yeah, because men are taken advantage of as often

Sep 5, 2011, 8:02 PM

as women are. (sarcasm for those that didn't catch it)

And that attitude from guys, pretending young women are as sex hungry as young men, is exactly why young women need to be extra careful in college.

Older women are better at manipulating men (thanks to experience), but younger women are, on average, are easy to manipulate.

I'm with you but is it more pansified to chase tail than

Sep 5, 2011, 1:18 PM [ in reply to Student section is getting worse, but its not because of out ]

follow the Clemson-Troy game???

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They are using the metrosexual route... so yes.***

Sep 5, 2011, 1:18 PM

metrosexual route to sex or "manly" way

Sep 6, 2011, 12:37 PM

equates to the same thing... #### in a ######

Did you type that will gel in your hair?***

Sep 8, 2011, 10:39 PM

Short & simple, they need a "Mic-man". Gets all involved.

Sep 5, 2011, 3:50 PM

Sudents & fans.

Re: Short & simple, they need a "Mic-man". Gets all involved.

Sep 5, 2011, 4:01 PM

there is one in the student section...

he does ####***

Sep 5, 2011, 4:03 PM

Is he on a stand as in old days? Where are the cheers such

Sep 5, 2011, 4:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Short & simple, they need a "Mic-man". Gets all involved. ]

as Orange..White, Clenson...Tigers, and spelling out CLEMSON around the stadium?

We may as well have one cheer

Sep 6, 2011, 3:02 PM

Don't get me wrong I love the Cadence count but you hear it 5000000 times a game, plus the CLEMSON spellout during Tiger Rag. That's about it as far as cheers go.

GO TIGERS

Sep 5, 2011, 4:38 PM

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Too Many Tickets to the United Nations Crowd***

Sep 5, 2011, 5:10 PM

I would hope this is true for all colleges and universities.

Sep 5, 2011, 5:22 PM

"a school that cares a heck of a lot more about Academics than Athletics."

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Sep 5, 2011, 7:41 PM

CU admits students based upon SAT and class rank - extra-curricular activities don't matter . CU family ties will get you a shot at the Bridge Program . Cheering for CU all your life counts for nothing as most classes at CU do not allow cheering . My advise to you , study some more .

Re: Its about the $$$$. Out of State tuition is double

Sep 5, 2011, 7:45 PM

HTH

Sep 5, 2011, 7:52 PM

While I agree that the student section was embarrassing, blaming it on out of state students is, simply, dumb.

Sep 5, 2011, 10:17 PM

I'm not about to read all of these posts, but your argument is wrong. I can agree that the support may have seemed lacking, but blaming it on out-of-state students is stupid. I live/work in PA and went to Clemson for undergrad. I'm a diehard fan. I went to all home football games when I attended college. Look up the word "stereotyping" when you get the chance.

Also, if it wasn't for us out-of-staters not many in the world would know of Clemson, nor would funding be anywhere near the levels it's at today. We may not have all grown up die-hard Clemson fans, but today I'm as much a fan of the Tigers as you.

I was an out-of-state student...you gonna question me?

Sep 6, 2011, 8:38 AM

My wife was an out-of-state and has two degrees from Clemson. We didn't miss a home game for 6 years combined as undergraduates and her a graduate student and left early ONCE (2003 UGA game) and im not proud of that. We went to at least one away game every year, sometimes more. I spent months photographing stadium and campus improvements and documenting them for the whole fanbase to see without any compensation save the sheer pleasure it was for me to do it for the alumni and fans not close to Clemson.

You are a sniveling little punk that hasn't even stepped foot in a classroom at Clemson so do us all a favor and paint with your broad brush somewhere else.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2011, 9:29 AM

I wish I could thumbs-down this post twice; it irritates me so much I'm having to respond again. I was not an out-of-state student, but my parents moved here from the Midwest when I was young and I have zero family ties to Clemson. My mom actively hates football, and my dad doesn't give two craps about college football. I was the first person in my family, immediate or extended, to attend Clemson University. Before I became a student I had never attended a single college football game, much less a Clemson game. I only vaguely remember watching college games on TV and in fact, before the 10th grade I had no loyalty at all; I even remember owning and wearing a Gamecocks shirt that my mom had procured in a pile of hand-me-down clothes. So I'm about as far removed from a "born and raised Clemson fan from a Clemson family" as you can get without actively rooting for another team.

On top of that, I'm one of those "nerds" that you disparage so easily in your post. I graduated first in a class of 324 and received a full ride to Clemson. I was in the honors college for half of my time there and I graduated magna ### laude. Academics were very definitely my first priority at Clemson, as they should be for any student. If you're going to Clemson only to cheer on the football team, then you are clearly in college for the wrong reasons.

All that being said: All it took was one game--one game in 100-plus degree heat against a lowly App State team--to transform me from a casually interested band geek into a die-hard, take no prisoners football fan. I was hopelessly hooked after my very first step into Death Valley. I attended every home game my four years there (of course, being in the marching band that's kind of a requirement) and half the away games. Upon graduating I've attended an estimated 5 home games a year plus the occasional road trip and bowl game when possible. I'm in IPTAY and I buy four season tickets every year.

Furthermore some of the most fanatical Clemson fans I ever met are from out of state: North Carolina, Georgia, Virginia, Florida, even Missouri and California. If anything, students and families from out of state may be MORE of a Clemson fan than you'll ever be, simply because they have to put in so much more effort on a daily and weekly to do so. If you think it's easy being a Clemson fan in GA, FL, NC, or VA then you're seriously deluded.

So don't sit there all smug on your naive little 16-year old behind and preach ignorantly upon subjects about which you have no knowledge or experience. Don't insult those of us who came to Clemson of our own volition to *create* Clemson families for future generations, regardless of which state we hail from.

threaten to lower student allotment due to lack of interest

Sep 6, 2011, 9:31 AM

that will probably change it

I think that's a great idea***

Sep 6, 2011, 9:38 AM

the other crowds wont fill it up***

Sep 6, 2011, 2:54 PM [ in reply to threaten to lower student allotment due to lack of interest ]

good luck to you. i hope you get in. you are misguided

Sep 6, 2011, 10:31 AM

in what goes on with admissions.

I was an out-of-state student. Graduated in 09.

Sep 6, 2011, 3:32 PM

Never missed a football game or basketball game, and made it to a bunch of baseball games.

I haven't met too many people that are as passionate about Clemson sports as I am.

So count me in the crowd that thinks your theory is bull$hit.

null

Thumbs up from another NC Clemson alum

Sep 7, 2011, 12:12 PM

Never attended a CU game before I was a student- I've been to every game since 2003. I've never left early.

Re: Thumbs up from another NC Clemson alum

Sep 7, 2011, 12:42 PM

Clarification: Thumbs up meant for hrigsby not the OP.

Also- I lived with 3 other out-of-state students. Each are huge fans and attended every game. One moved back to Clemson after grad school and works for the CU athletic department.

IMO. The OP's theory is flat out wrong.

whatya say***

Sep 19, 2011, 12:37 PM

How about show up for every game, that goes for all of us***

Sep 19, 2011, 12:38 PM

Yankees have taken over the South, BUT Clemson was a yank 2

Sep 19, 2011, 12:49 PM

...he was from Philly. OMG, I didn't know that until 48 years after attending Clemson U. Guess I should have read all the words under his statue in front of Tillman Hall!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 119
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic