Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hosting Regionals
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Hosting Regionals

Mar 18, 2012, 10:33 AM

I don't live in South Carolina but often wondered why the state is always bypassed for hosting a regional. I get tired of North Carolina cashing in and benefiting their home schools. Is the Bi Lo center capable with seating and suites etc or even Columbia for that matter?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

most people think it's b/c of the flag...but that's not true

Mar 18, 2012, 10:37 AM

It's b/c the dirt peckers are such an embarrassment to collegiate athletics, the NCAA can't bring themselves to allow the state to host anything...

seriously

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: Bi-Lo Center hosted a NCAA regional in 2002

Mar 18, 2012, 11:16 AM

The Bi-lo Center hosted a 2002 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament.

However, the NCAA has since implemented a policy to not hold tournament games in either South Carolina or Mississippi, following a recommendation from the NAACP that was intended to call attention to the Confederate flag on display next to a monument on the grounds of the South Carolina State House. As a result, the BI-LO Center has not hosted an NCAA Tournament game since 2002.

Which is a shame because Greenville is a wonderful city, that has the amenities to put on a wonderful event.

I love politics, and I love sports.......

Mar 18, 2012, 11:21 AM

....but I HATE wen the two are combined! It is a shame!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CU TLGTN

Yet Georgia has the stars and bars embedded in their

Mar 18, 2012, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Bi-Lo Center hosted a NCAA regional in 2002 ]

state flag. Too many powerful African American business people in Atlanta for the NAACP to let them bypass Georgia under the same rules.

This is not a racist post, just pointing out a double standard. Only apply the rule when it doesn't affect you....NAACP

Really surprised that you guys/gals missed this one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: Yet Georgia has the stars and bars embedded in their

Mar 18, 2012, 1:07 PM

I checked it out on wiki and the Georgia flag does look substantially like the first confederate flag, but not at all like more familiar rebel flag with the X bars and stars.

I could see how the Georgia flag gets a pass, as the first confederate flag is not widely recognized.

Current Georgia Flag http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_Georgia_(U.S._state).svg

The SC flag is awesome. I see the palmetto and crescent on lots of NC vehicles.

How about a compromise where something like the Georgia flag is flown in Columbia instead of the rebel flag?

Realistically the NCAA ban will not be lifted until SC makes some move to adjust the flag practice.

I'm from GA originally. They changed it recently

Mar 18, 2012, 2:11 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Georgia_(U.S._state)

That is basically the exact replica of the 1st Confederate

Mar 18, 2012, 2:31 PM

flag. The stars and bars.

The battle flag is the one that South Carolina flies and many refer to as the "rebel flag" or whatever.

Re: That is basically the exact replica of the 1st Confederate

Mar 19, 2012, 1:30 PM

i had read somewhere that the "stars and bars" was actually a naval flag for the confederacy.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I saw a Newt G presser a few weeks ago

Mar 19, 2012, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Yet Georgia has the stars and bars embedded in their ]

and the state flag that was flying behind him had the stars and bars version of GA state flag.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Went to my neighbors last night

Mar 19, 2012, 9:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Yet Georgia has the stars and bars embedded in their ]

here in Charlotte. There were five people there, 2 from Connecticut, one from NC, one from Ohio, and then me from SC. The coasters and glasses were the SC flag, and I did not host the event.

I just smiled and didn't say anything.

Quite honestly, while the focus is off us and the flag for a

Mar 19, 2012, 10:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Bi-Lo Center hosted a NCAA regional in 2002 ]

while I think we should just go ahead and move the flag to the to join the circle of other flags and keep the statue in front of the state house. The nation has evolved and its time to move on. Some people are actually offended by it and I think we should respect their wishes. The confederate statue is not leaving the front of the state house and I think that is a great memorial for those who fought for our state and also those have lost their lives. That statue is also less offensive to people. The flag would also still be accessible to anyone who wanted to access it as well.

I don't like the fact that we can't have baseball and basketball tournaments in this state and I think people are being more stubborn just b/c they feel they're being bullied instead of looking at the real issue at hand. So while things are calm, lets move the flag and be more friendly to each other and become more amicable as a state.

Re: most people think it's b/c of the flag...but that's not true

Mar 19, 2012, 10:05 PM [ in reply to most people think it's b/c of the flag...but that's not true ]

> It's b/c the dirt peckers are such an embarrassment
> to collegiate athletics, the NCAA can't bring
> themselves to allow the state to host anything...
>
> seriously

That is the most ignorant thing that I have ever read on this site. Seriously.

Re: Hosting Regionals

Mar 18, 2012, 2:08 PM

Do any of the arenas in our state try to get regionals?
And take down that #### flag.

Stop giving in.....

Mar 19, 2012, 5:20 PM

to Jessie and his bunch of low life idiots from Chicago.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Stop giving in.....

Mar 19, 2012, 9:40 PM

Do you have a strategy (or tactics) to get the sporting ban lifted?

If you are hung up on the flag. You can fly it down the street. Take it down for a month, get the ban lifted, and put up a different design.

Lots of way to skin a cat....

Re: Hosting Regionals

Mar 19, 2012, 9:12 PM

I went to the regional in Greenville 2002, now it would be even better with the vibrant downtown that has continued to develop. It really is a shame that politics hold our state back. Not mixing politics and sports?, politics affects almost everything. Don't you think it was a political decision more than anything else to slap Clemson with an extra year of probation in 1982.

End the boycott and then move the flag. Do nothing with a

Mar 19, 2012, 10:45 PM

gun to your head.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some years ago during the height of the flag controversy,

Mar 20, 2012, 6:25 AM

Tom McClean, Executive Editor of "The State," called and asked me to write an op-ed piece. In it I discussed my ancestors' history of being Virginia plantation owners and slave holders, as well as those who served in the Confederate Army. Then, I related what the present times meant to most of us, and the fact that many views we hold today about a wide variety of subjects would be contrary to views held by our ancestors. My points were several: most people were unaware the flag flew over the state house until the matter was raised; most people of all races are co-workers, neighbors, attend the same churches, participate in organizations together, attend or have attended schools together, have fought wars side-by-side, and are, indeed, friends. Thus, most of us would be loath to support a cause that would give offense to each other, especially a cause directly relative to history. The flag is a historical symbol, and as is true with most things historical, it should be considered in that context, and, thus, placed in the proper perspective: a museum.

I have never believed in retreating from threats nor ultimatums; however, this flag controversy should never have arisen and should have been resolved with honor and compassion long ago. While I deplore the NCAA's stance against our state, I deplore even moreso the lack of bold, decisive leadership from our Governors and our General Assembly. While I remember my ancestors, I would not recoil from opposing their beliefs and practices relative to many issues, and although I deeply respect and would defend the right to another man's opinions and beliefs, I believe our society can only be better if we allow our humanity and compassion for our fellow man to be the guiding forces in our lives.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Point for you

Mar 20, 2012, 9:00 AM

very well written post.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic