Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What is wrong with you people? This is not the Clemson....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

What is wrong with you people? This is not the Clemson....

Nov 1, 2005, 2:06 PM

way. Say whatever you want about accepting mediocrity and blindly following Bowden. The truth of the matter is, NO ONE is happy with mediocrity. No one likes to lose 4-5 games a year.

BUT when we do, it is NO excuse to turn on your coach and players like a pack of ravenous dogs. It is truly pathetic to read some of the stuff that is on this board. Attacking our QB and yelling for him to be benched after he's given 5 years of his life to serving this university and our football team with complete class is NOT the Clemson way.

The attacks on Bowden are getting more ridiculous every day. What has filled you people with such spite and malice that you feel no matter what Bowden does, it will be wrong?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the facts...

- Bowden IS NOT going anywhere this year. Bitching about him staying is like bitching about high gas prices...it does nothing.

- Charlie is our QB. He has been for 4 years now. He will be OUR QB until he graduates and he deserves to.

- Clemson fans are looking pretty stupid right now. It’s ok to be unhappy about a coach and criticize him when he makes mistakes but to tear him to pieces for every single thing he says and does IS NOT RIGHT.

- You people act as if Bowden isn't a human - Saying stuff like "He's only here for his 1.4 million dollar paycheck" (Which by the way is about $300,000 off) and "He's laughing all the way to the bank" and "Bowden is a racist". Say what you want about his coaching ability but Bowden LOVES Clemson as much as Danny Ford and Frank Howard loved Clemson. He also wants to win AT CLEMSON. Saying that crap about him only wanting the money is merely a ploy to dehumanize him so it’s easier for you to spew garbage about him. They are lies that make you feel better about trashing our head coach. You’ve SEEN him show his love for Clemson and you’ve SEEN him show pain when we’ve lost.

- This is NOT the Clemson way. What happened to "We are Clemson...We're better than that?" The people on this board sure don't look like the great fans Clemson is known for.

Bowden will go when its time and its time when our AD says its time. The man is yet to have a losing season and is currently bringing in some of the best talent in the southeast. How bad will it hurt us to "risk" another winning season to see what he can do with it? Patience and level-headedness is needed in these times. I’m sure glad our AD possesses these qualities because a lot of our fans don’t.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What is wrong with you people? This is not the Clemson....

Nov 1, 2005, 2:10 PM

CLAP! CLAP! CLAP!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What is wrong with you people? This is not the Clemson....

Bowden's a racist? With the lack of whites on the field, you coulda fooled me. Unless he hates white people...

It's just getting frustrating to have a coach

that gets paid like Bowden does to consistently go 6-5. Bowden will not take this program to the next level IMO. He's in his seventh year and we have a senior QB, and we're still spinning our wheels. Again, just my opinion.

I do agree with you about Charlie. I'm pretty much Ticked with the way people are talking about him.

romans 8:28

www.loosechange911.com/
www.killtown.com
www.letsroll911.org
www.universalseed.org

I don't get the salary argument. If we paid him $50K and he

Nov 1, 2005, 2:12 PM

went 6-5 would anybody be happier than they are now?

If it lowered ticket prices, yes.***

Nov 1, 2005, 2:13 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

who's accepting mediocrity now?

Nov 1, 2005, 2:18 PM

not saying this to you personally, but just saying it to put it out there...nothing at clemson has ever ticked me off more than the people who say "long as we beat SC, i don't care who else we beat". now that's accepting mediocrity. or less.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FAT TAX NOW!

I'm certainly not...just pointing out one potential benefit

Nov 1, 2005, 2:20 PM

if TB's salary dropped from $1.1 million to $50K.

That would make no difference in ticket prices.***

Nov 1, 2005, 2:22 PM

How do you know?***

Nov 1, 2005, 2:23 PM

Lets do some simple math: the school pays Bowden a couple

Nov 1, 2005, 2:27 PM

of hundred thousand a year. Sponsors pay the rest. So the school wouldn't even be saving $1M a year. If we have about 450,000 people attend games this year (75,000 x 6 home games) then 1M divided by 450K is about $2 off each ticket. Big savings.

Re: Lets do some simple math: the school pays Bowden a couple

Nov 1, 2005, 3:24 PM

yeah and you still have to pay another coach and the calibur that we are supposedly looking for will probably cost more than we are paying now, so in light the ticket prices would actually go up......

i know. that's why i said it wasn't directed at you.***

Nov 1, 2005, 2:26 PM [ in reply to I'm certainly not...just pointing out one potential benefit ]

FAT TAX NOW!

You had rather lower ticket prices than win (Jeez)***

Nov 1, 2005, 2:35 PM [ in reply to If it lowered ticket prices, yes.*** ]

Please show me where I said that.***

Nov 1, 2005, 3:28 PM

Nope, everyone would say let's pay somebody to get us wins.***

Nov 1, 2005, 2:15 PM [ in reply to I don't get the salary argument. If we paid him $50K and he ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's just getting frustrating to have a coach

Nov 1, 2005, 2:12 PM [ in reply to It's just getting frustrating to have a coach ]

;)

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That made me chuckle.***

Nov 1, 2005, 2:16 PM

romans 8:28

www.loosechange911.com/
www.killtown.com
www.letsroll911.org
www.universalseed.org

actually this is exactly the clemson way..

Nov 1, 2005, 2:13 PM

its what we did to hatfield and west and have done to bowden every since his 4th year...

Re: actually this is exactly the clemson way..

Um. Hatfield and West? Yeah...NO. I wouldn't compare the poster's reference to Howard and Ford to Hatfield and West. The way we've treated Hatfield, West, and Bowden have been how the rest of the country does it. The way it was with Ford and Howard was the Clemson way. I agree. We're better than this (or supposed to be).

i don't hate bowden and i don't hate charlie, but...

Nov 1, 2005, 2:15 PM

i started posting at about halftime of the game saturday (give or take) that charlie needed to take a seat, as he was obviously not getting it done. that does not mean that i hate charlie or that i think he sucks or that i think he should be permanently benched. it just means he was having a bad day. it happens to everyone. and it's up to bowden to recognize that and make a change. a change at halftime and we might have won that game. does that mean there would have been a QB controversy? not in my eyes. the backup's job is to come in when the starter gets hurt or is struggling. charlie was clearly struggling on saturday, whether it was from an injury or not.

FAT TAX NOW!

Agree 100% on CW, but you are missing it on CTB

TB makes $1Mill a year to win games. He wins every other game. He has the 2nd worse overall record (at Clemson) since Ford and he is catching up on West for the worst.

Bowden built into his contract a huge buyout that essentially acts as an insurance policy for bad coaching. He may not be going anywhere, but just because he is staying does not mean that people should not speak up and voice their discontent.

The "if you can't do anything about it, lay back and enjoy it" mentality does not go over well with me.

Voice your discontent 'till you're blue in the face

Nov 1, 2005, 2:20 PM

But don't you think doing it during the season is counterproductive? Why not get behind the team while we are still playing? We've got a long offseason for that stuff.

Just my .02

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When they lose with dignity, then I'll change my mind.

Nov 1, 2005, 2:23 PM

Don't get me wrong, i'm not a fairweather fan, I've been to plenty of games where clemson lost and I still go to every game I can no matter what, they could be 0 and 11. The way we lost to GT was the problem. You don't make excuses and mistakes like that on the field. The last thing I was wanting was another turnover on downs because of a short pass. Doesn't it matter what the fans think. I'd rather they give it 110% and at least make it look like they are trying. Another thing is that the camera was focused on Charlie as he was yelling at Tommy, that is disgraceful when everyone turns on espn and sees that. I just hope that we'll see some changes in attitude at the duke game, i'll be there waiting.

i didn't see charlie yelling at tommy. i saw the reverse.

Nov 1, 2005, 2:29 PM

perhaps i missed something. maybe i was too quick to erase the DVR'd recording of the game. i really didn't want to watch it again anyway. come to think of it, that's probably why we lost. i should never record games. ;)

FAT TAX NOW!

Re: i didn't see tommy yelling at charlie i saw the reverse.

Nov 1, 2005, 5:00 PM

Charlie was spouting out excuses for delay of game and all the other bungles, and tommy didn't want to hear it. I watched as charlie wouldn't shut up and sit down when it was obvious that tommy didn't want to hear it. I've been reviewing the game several times to see what needs to change.

Re: When they lose with dignity, then I'll change my mind.

Nov 1, 2005, 2:29 PM [ in reply to When they lose with dignity, then I'll change my mind. ]

Excuse Me? You don't think the players were trying? That's probably the lowest thing you could say about them.

Re: When they lose with dignity, then I'll change my mind.

Nov 1, 2005, 5:06 PM

I didn't say that, i'm sure they try every game. it just looked like they wern't because of stupid penalties and loosing posession on downs and that's what people saw. Charlie completed some good passes and all, but I didn't understand some of the things he did.

You're right, I shouldn't have thrown that in there

Nov 1, 2005, 5:27 PM [ in reply to Re: When they lose with dignity, then I'll change my mind. ]

That did come out bad, i'm frustrated, but that is badmouthing the team. I'm sure it was just a bad game.

i'll tell you what is wrong with these people.

Nov 1, 2005, 2:25 PM

These guys who are spewing this stuff are clueless.

For example:
If proctor went in and blew the GT game "they" would be all over Bowden questioning "why do you take out our all time passing leader to put in a guy with no experience." No matter what Bowden does they will attack. Is is so easy on monday.

They also do not understand the concept of support or encouragement. If you are supportive only when you are winning you are of no use at all. If Bowden is here for 2 more years and we all know he will be.. how are these conversations helping. Lets support and encourage him when he and the team need it most and then if he can't get it done 2 years from now then tell him "thanks anyway."

Anyway, You've got it brother! It's too bad you're probably preaching to the choir. These guys are too thick headed to ever grasp it.

Great Post!

Dude, it's Tuesday.***

Nov 1, 2005, 2:29 PM

If Charlie has been hurt and missing practice for some time

Nov 1, 2005, 2:45 PM [ in reply to i'll tell you what is wrong with these people. ]

now, we owe it to him to give him a chance to heal properly, do we not?

'Nuff said!

GREAT POST! COULDN 'T AGREE MORE!******

Nov 1, 2005, 2:30 PM

This, a quote from the Front Page of this Site stirrs me up!

Nov 1, 2005, 2:41 PM

One would think, then, that there might have been discussion during the game about playing Proctor. But Bowden said that wasn't the case. Bowden did say that offensive coordinator Rob Spence has talked in recent weeks about finding playing time for Proctor, but the head coach said he has consistently vetoed the idea.

Why?

"More than anything because he's (Whitehurst) a fifth-year senior," said Bowden. "But I forget sometimes we're in a new offense."

He doesn't get paid what he does to forget something like having a whole new offense. What was he thinking about when he made that remark, anyway?

'Nuff said!

Great Post...my input...

Nov 1, 2005, 2:42 PM

These coaches and players wear the same orange and the same paws as all of us as Tiger Fans, and even if we dont like the way a coach or a player is doing something we should at all times back them up.

The Miami game is over.
The Boston College game is over.
The Wake Forest game is over.
The Georgia Tech game is over.

We play Duke this weekend and Tommy Bowden is still the coach. Put the rest of the season in the past and lets cheer the Tigers to another strong finish! I will be there cheering as I always do, wether we are #1 or #116.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of 2008
Go Tigers!

If this was the case in his 3- or 4th year I would agree

Nov 1, 2005, 2:46 PM

But 7 years into his career here at Clemson it is getting pretty old to be yoyoing from win to lose and win to lose.

I do believe it is your American right to question things when they are not going well in your government, in your church, or even for your college football team. It does not include personal attacks on players or fans but it does include a basic inquiry into why things are not going so well. Is it funding? Is it recruiting? Is it coaching? Is it the current crop of players? In order to fix it we need to know and if that includes questioning who is in charge (from administrators to coaches) so be it.

GO TIGERS!!!!!

Re: What the heck are you talking about?

Nov 1, 2005, 3:07 PM

I just read down the entire board and didn't read anything "bashing" Bowden. I saw lots of "I think we have a great staff that's had some bad breaks, I expect better next year," but no "bashing."

I think it's a sign that everyone knows something is not working when a coach's defenders are out defending the coach from "bashing" that does not seem to exist, at least not in major amounts. For the record, something IS NOT working - but that something is not the coaching staff. I think they've handled themselves very well this year in a difficult situation, and that next year, if there's ANY fairness in the world, they will reap the benefits. We should all hope so. With a very few notable exceptions, I think we've ALL handled ourselves well in this situation.

GO TIGERS!
GO CLEMSON FAMILY!
GO TOMMY BOWDEN!

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic