Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So Spurrier is a genius now?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 133
| visibility 1

So Spurrier is a genius now?

Dec 20, 2010, 9:06 AM

Here are some funny stats:

So far in ~ 6 seasons, Steve Spurrier is 44-32, a 0.579 winning percentage. He's won 1 division championship. He's 1-3 in bowls (0.250), and has yet to finish a season ranked in the top 25.

So far in ~ 2.5 seasons, Dabo Swinney is 19-14, a 0.576 winning percentage. He's won 1 division championship. He's 1-1 in bowls (0.500), and he finished in the top 25 in his first season.

Spurrier hasn't done any more in 6 seasons than Dabo has done in only 2.5.

In fact, if Dabo wins his bowl and Spurrier doesn't, or even if both teams win their bowl, then Dabo will have a better winning percentage, a better bowl winning percentage, just as many or more bowl wins, just as many top 25 finishes, and just as many division championships.

Steve Spurrier hasn't done any more than our wide receiver coach. Just sayin'.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's 2-1 against Babo***

Dec 20, 2010, 9:08 AM

That's awesome.***

Dec 20, 2010, 9:09 AM

Re: He's 2-1 against Babo***

Dec 20, 2010, 9:33 AM [ in reply to He's 2-1 against Babo*** ]

That's cause for the governorship in SCU town.Go get a team and quit getting beat 100 to nothing and then come back and talk about Babo.Geez.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In the last 2 years Spurrier has outscored your hero

Dec 20, 2010, 9:12 AM

63-24. That was with him shutting the offense down midway through the third quarter in this years game.

Trust me, I don't know a single South Carolina fan that wants Clemson to fire Dabo. He is the best thing that has ever happened to our football program.

Dabo is not my hero.

Dec 20, 2010, 9:14 AM

But he's done just as good as Spurrier, and may just have an even better resume following bowl season.

Re: Dabo is not my hero.

Dec 20, 2010, 9:34 AM

You should definitely sign Dat Boy to a lifetime contract. He is a real winner and his offensive prowess is unmatched in the college game.

He has a keen eye for coaching talent, and really knows how to develop players once they get on campus. There is no way Clemson will be worse off next year when they have Tajh Boy (the guy who couldn't beat out Kyle Parker) manning the wheels and lose almost all of their defensive playmakers.

Seriously, Dabo is awesome and you should keep him forever.

You have a true talent for posting juvenile level verbiage.***

Dec 20, 2010, 9:47 AM

Honors student at usc ****

Dec 20, 2010, 10:15 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Much appreciated...

Dec 20, 2010, 10:23 AM [ in reply to You have a true talent for posting juvenile level verbiage.*** ]

I thought I would simply speak to my target audience at a level I knew they could comprehend.

Run along now little coot. Run along.***

Dec 20, 2010, 10:27 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Save yourself the trouble and find a new audience.***

Dec 20, 2010, 11:42 PM [ in reply to Much appreciated... ]

Dec 20, 2010, 10:13 AM [ in reply to Re: Dabo is not my hero. ]

no lifetime contract needed. Dabo is a young coach , and he is where he wants to be. In two more years , ( maybe one , depends on whether or not your hero beats clemson, ) your hero will be retired just due to age and willpower. And we will just be getting in full stride .

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Time will tell.***

Dec 20, 2010, 7:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo is not my hero. ]

Re: Time will tell.***

Dec 21, 2010, 12:28 AM

didn't count strength of schedule...

I'm not a fan of Spurrier, but I think he is a better coach than Dabo..

boyd could beat out parker

Dec 20, 2010, 8:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo is not my hero. ]

the only problem is kyle is sucking dabo's #### or something... tahj WILL be better

Dec 20, 2010, 10:29 AM [ in reply to Dabo is not my hero. ]

One difference though. He is in the SEC and Dabo is in the ACC. No comparison of teams there.

Dec 23, 2010, 2:11 PM [ in reply to Dabo is not my hero. ]

> But he's done just as good as Spurrier, and may just
> have an even better resume following bowl season.

I think Dabo is a good coach, but this comment is nuts.

If Dabo takes a 6-6 team to a bowl victory, his resume equals Spurrriers many SEC Championships and National Championship?

This is a joke correct?

Lattimore is the best thing, being in SEC is second.

Dec 20, 2010, 9:15 AM [ in reply to In the last 2 years Spurrier has outscored your hero ]

There is no way in h3ll you would get a good coach or any talent at all to that armpit of a town if you weren't lucky enough to be in ESPN's chosen league.

That being said, Clemson is not in good shape right now.

Dec 20, 2010, 9:17 AM

And you are right, SC has totally outclassed us in the past two games. No doubt....

disagree

Dec 20, 2010, 9:36 AM [ in reply to Lattimore is the best thing, being in SEC is second. ]

any school that takes football as important as South Carolina does will always have a great chance at landing a big name coach.

You're absolutely correct

Dec 20, 2010, 10:08 AM [ in reply to Lattimore is the best thing, being in SEC is second. ]

The SEC letting us in elevated usc to a top 25 coaching job in the country and #1 in this state. Which is undeserved given our history

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Re: You're absolutely correct

Dec 21, 2010, 12:30 AM

#1 in the state?

#### your own coach would have came to Clemson given a choice between the 2 schools at the time..

I have heard that come straight out of his mouth

When?***

Dec 21, 2010, 1:13 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not as bad as 63-17 (in one try)***

Dec 20, 2010, 9:45 AM [ in reply to In the last 2 years Spurrier has outscored your hero ]

on their field***

Dec 20, 2010, 10:36 AM

at night.***

Dec 21, 2010, 3:20 AM

in November***

Dec 22, 2010, 5:31 PM

lol shutting down the offense? If spurrier could have scored

Dec 20, 2010, 7:58 PM [ in reply to In the last 2 years Spurrier has outscored your hero ]

60pts on us, he would have.

Steele just was able to stiffle the cock-n-fire

Re: Truth is OUR Offense shut itself down.. with Coots help!

Dec 20, 2010, 11:31 PM [ in reply to In the last 2 years Spurrier has outscored your hero ]

N/m

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In the last 2 years Spurrier has outscored your hero

Dec 23, 2010, 12:18 PM [ in reply to In the last 2 years Spurrier has outscored your hero ]

It took you 2 years to outscore us 63-24? We were able to outscore you more than that in ONE game.

do you seriously need to post the exact same thing

Dec 20, 2010, 9:13 AM

two days in a row?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes.

Dec 20, 2010, 9:14 AM

Seems to be the norm here.

I hope he post it every day for the next six months.....

Dec 20, 2010, 10:01 AM [ in reply to do you seriously need to post the exact same thing ]

this place is more misinformed than the Nazi Youth. I would be more interested in reading a few more facts on this board from time to time instead of a bunch of hothead opinion.

if he keeps saying it, he'll believe it***

Dec 20, 2010, 1:40 PM [ in reply to do you seriously need to post the exact same thing ]

nm

Saying what?

Dec 20, 2010, 7:25 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=9996432

here is the fact of the matter

Dec 20, 2010, 9:33 AM

Spurrier is seen as improving the South Carolina program since he took over. I realize most CLemson fans won't admit that, but from the outside view that is the fact of the matter.

Coach Swinney - so far- isn't seen as improving the Clemson program. In fact, from the outside it appears to be a step backwards this year.

Now I'd say it's really silly to compare the two since Spurrier has been in place 6 years now - but you made the comparison, not me.

OK-I give up-great,scott your out of the woods now or is it

Dec 20, 2010, 9:50 AM

black magic or is it the soul patrol-or is Louuuuuu!!!Man you guys are going to be good.Congratulations.Hope you play in your first SECCG real soon.

why don't you

Dec 20, 2010, 9:52 AM

refute what I stated in my post instead?

where was I incorrect?

You're right- less than 60% winning is an improvement

Dec 21, 2010, 1:17 PM

For USuC, and a decline for us..... You win

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hi, Tymick. Don't t-mail me, I really don't care what you

Dec 20, 2010, 9:52 AM [ in reply to here is the fact of the matter ]

have to say. Ever.

Do you seriously have that much time on your hands? That USuC degree must be working out nicely...if you even have that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Hi, Tymick. Don't t-mail me, I really don't care what you

Dec 20, 2010, 9:55 AM

actually, my degree has allowed me to have enough time.

I t-mailed you because my response was old to the topic and I wanted you to see the post.

Didn't know that sending you a link to the topic would offend you. But I realize, as I have said, a lot of people get easily offended these days.

BTW- for everyone else- my t-mail was a link to a post where

Dec 20, 2010, 9:59 AM

I agreed with him on what he had posted.

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=9993143

that is an opinion of the matter., you cockbrain......

Dec 20, 2010, 10:30 AM [ in reply to here is the fact of the matter ]

fact is clemson has had a bad season , no two ways about it. But what about usC? no doubt that division champs is great. But if you lose to fsu in bowlgame,then the feelgood analysis quickly changes... you have had a blowout loss to Arkansas, a loss to kentucky, a loss to Auburn where your coach contributed by pulling the starter qb, an absolute historical and hysterical blowout loss in the division champ game, and then a bowl, loss to a midling acc team., and your division champ year came in a year when the divison was really , really , down , with the florida coach resigning at the end of the year after a beatdown by an acc team and a horrible tenn team with afirst year coach... the only thing you have to brag about is beating clemson, who struggled to a 500 season at this point .

It's not that difficult

Dec 20, 2010, 10:35 AM

refer to my post above for the "fact of the matter"

If we lose to FSU- we still have 9 wins under our belt and beat Clemson. That's a good year.
That is a fact that only someone that isn't interested in being fairminded would deny.

To the fact of the matter...

Dec 20, 2010, 11:15 AM [ in reply to here is the fact of the matter ]

Outside of this year's miracle 9-5 season, which is oddly similar to the coots only other conference topper in 1969 in the ACC, Spurrier has not been near the success at USuC that many would like to think. After last season, I recall a lot of people calling for his head. Fortunately Florida, UGA and UT had off years in 2010 or it's the same old story and you'd be out now looking for the next "big name" head coach to end his career with.

As far as progression and regression, our .500 record this year is certainly down, but a #19 recruiting class last year and a likely top 10 class this year is, my little coot adversary, significant progress for this coach. A suspect QB and even more suspect WR's will cause a team to struggle offensively. Fortunately we are now cycling out of that problem.

I can imagine your sentiments are also eerily similar to those you had in 2001.

USuC will always be a sweater vest/cocktail dress football program. You embarrassed your conference in the championship game and are fixing to lose to the ACCCG loser in a few weeks. The only thing you can honestly hang your hat on is beating us the last two years, which $ucks for sure, but it's far from what you think it is. Of course, this is coot logic we're talking about so I might as well save my breath.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Couldn't really care less about beating clemson...

Dec 20, 2010, 11:19 AM

Happier with beating Ole Miss and Alabama. the last two years. Not only were those better teams than clemson, but those games had meaning to our schedule.

Fair enough. The 9-4 Ole Miss team was a quality win

Dec 20, 2010, 11:26 AM

for you last year, and certainly Alabama (9-3) this year. So we'll make it four games to hang your hat on the last two years.

Re: To the fact of the matter...

Dec 20, 2010, 12:21 PM [ in reply to To the fact of the matter... ]

That's spin.

Clemson fans are upset because they feel the program has stepped back under Swinney.

South Carolina fans are ok with Spurrier right now because they feel he's improved the program.

You can spin it any way you want- but you can't deny those two facts.

now spin away.

I would certainly agree that more Carolina fans think

Dec 20, 2010, 2:21 PM

SOS is doing a better job than Dabo right now, and there is great angst among Clemson nation about our unproven coach. However, the map is not the territory. Last year, coots were hollering for SOS to step it up or get out. Did he step it up? Or did he simply land a stud RB amongst an otherwise okay recruiting class and couple that with the worst SEC East division in two decades? Hey, I'd rather be sitting at 9-4 than 6-6 for sure, but I wouldn't trade Clemson's future for USuC's future, including 2011, for anything. And our immediate futures include these two coaches with remarkably similar records since they've been at each respective school.

You've had a remarkable year across the board. My suggestion is enjoy it while you got it.

I think

Dec 20, 2010, 2:41 PM

"SOS is doing a better job than Dabo right now"

"I'd rather be sitting at 9-4 than 6-6 for sure"

is all that needs to be said for now.

No one has a clue what the future holds. This time last year most Clemson fans on here were predicting 9 or 10 wins and South Carolina to to win 7 at the most.

3 years ago people were predicting SPurrier to retire and Tommy Bowden to outlast him. Now Tommy Bowden is on vacation and Spurrier has a 9 win team aiming for a 10th win.

Re: I think

Dec 20, 2010, 7:33 PM

lol, a 10th win for the second time in school history. and it will take 14 tries to get there. congrats on that "special" season.

we will take it. it beats the alternative.***

Dec 20, 2010, 10:29 PM

Yeah, the 3 seasons prior to this one....

Dec 20, 2010, 7:30 PM [ in reply to here is the fact of the matter ]

6-6, 7-6, and 7-6. Two bowl losses. No top 25 finishes.

Spurrier could end up winning the next 10 national championships, I dunno, but this one season doesn't prove that, "Spurrier is seen as improving the South Carolina program", otherwise the same exact thing could be said about Swinney last year.

The numbers are what they are. It's not "silly" - it's a completely relevant comparison.

Re: Yeah, the 3 seasons prior to this one....

Dec 21, 2010, 12:37 AM

numbers are what they are and fortunately for us Clemson fans and unfortunately for the ##### fans Spurrier is improving their program...

thats 3 winning seasons in a row... Do you know how many times thats been done at USC?

never in their horrid history...

they suck... now they suck a little less than before... still suck though..

Mere perception...

Dec 21, 2010, 1:09 PM

has no effect on the reality of the numbers.

Re: So Spurrier is a genius now?

Dec 20, 2010, 9:41 AM

Those stats may be true, but bottom line is dabo plays teams like Boston college, Presbyterian college, and wake forest. Spurrier plays teams like Alabama, lsu, Arkansas, Florida. Of course dabo has better stats...look at the teams he competes against lol

Don't forget Kentucky, Vandy and UCONN***

Dec 20, 2010, 9:48 AM

not sure

Dec 20, 2010, 9:51 AM

I'd throw in Kentucky's name in there. CLemson hasn't exactly been a world beater when it comes to facing Kentucky over the years.

and I think UConn would give Clemson quite a good game as well.

I think we've only played them 3 times and are 2-1....***

Dec 20, 2010, 10:05 AM

Re: I think we've only played them 3 times and are 2-1....***

Dec 20, 2010, 10:07 AM

Kentucky leads the series with Clemson 8 games to 5.

you won the last game, Lost in 2006. Won in 1993 in the Peach Bowl.

Don't forget Southern Miss, Furman and Troy.

Dec 21, 2010, 12:02 AM [ in reply to Re: So Spurrier is a genius now? ]

You also didn't play LSU this year and Florida sucked.

Southern Miss and Troy ain't all bad***

Dec 21, 2010, 1:18 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fiat Justitia et Pereat Mundus

#56 (before bowl loss) and #81, respectively.

Dec 23, 2010, 11:09 AM

They're awesome.

In fifty years...

Dec 20, 2010, 9:50 AM

Steve Spurrier, the genius, will be in the HOF. Do you think Swinney will be there also? Do you think he'll even be mentioned in the CU media guide?

At SC, Spurrier took an underachieving team and made it better...a lot better.

At CU, Swinney took an underachieving team and made it worse. Based on the posts on this board, a lot worse.

Re: In fifty years...

Dec 20, 2010, 9:58 AM

Pretty obvious you know 0 about football.Where do all you people come off with the Clemson loaded with talent?That notion is just plain ignorant.And to think before the SECCG I really believed SOS could coach and had something for Auburn-what a joke.

In 6 years @ SCar he's averaged >5 losses, he achieved HOF

Dec 20, 2010, 9:59 AM [ in reply to In fifty years... ]

consideration from accomplishments at other schools.

Re: In 6 years @ SCar he's averaged >5 losses, he achieved HOF

Dec 20, 2010, 10:01 AM

Very true.

and I'm not concerned about his accomplishments at those schools either.

I think you summed it up pretty well above...

Dec 20, 2010, 10:39 AM

without getting lost in the weeds, Spurrier is seen as improving SC while Dabo is seen as taking us back a step.

That's the current bottomline, and any number of mitigating facts or stats aren't going to change that.

exactly

Dec 20, 2010, 10:41 AM

that's just the way it's seen.

Let's look at the facts. During the time that Tommy and

Dec 20, 2010, 11:05 AM

Spurrier both coached the respective schools, let's compare their records head to head:

Tommy Bowden
8-4
8-5
9-4
3-3
28-16 (.636 win pct)

Steve Spurrier
7-5
8-5
6-6
4-2
25-18 (.581 Win pct)

Head to head, Bowden was 2-1 vs Spurrier.

Since Dabo was hired:
Dabo:
4-3 
9-5
6-6
19-14 (.576 win pct)

Spurrier:
3-4 
7-6
9-4
19-14 (.576 win pct)

Head to head, Spurrier is 2-1 vs Dabo Swinney.

Seems to me Dabo's performance thus far is a pretty big step back from Tommy Bowden's performances, and your fans and administration fired Bowden for it. Spurrier's performance isn't what you should compare Dabo to, but rather, the man who he replaced as a supposed improvement.

well, that's unfair too because

Dec 20, 2010, 10:00 AM [ in reply to In fifty years... ]

Coach Swinney is only going into his 3rd year as a head coach.

No clue how his career will go.

6-6. 7-6, 7-6....9-?

Dec 20, 2010, 7:32 PM [ in reply to In fifty years... ]

One anomaly season does not make a trend.

Re: The only thing that I look at between these 2 coaches

Dec 20, 2010, 9:53 AM

is their record against each other. Swinney is now 1-2 and the last 2 have been blowouts. Enough said.

It took him six years of recruiting to finally get the deck

Dec 20, 2010, 9:59 AM

he's got. We will have a full deck after this year, and for sure after one more recruiting year.

Re: It took him six years of recruiting to finally get the d

Dec 20, 2010, 10:24 AM

Getting ahead of yourself. These kids havent even taken in their first practice. A little early to crown them saviors of your program

This is what people do when they have bad years.

Dec 20, 2010, 10:58 AM

They suddenly forget that incoming freshmen rarely make big impacts until their junior years... that is assuming of course they ever make an impact at all.

"Our wide receiver coach has accomplished just as much as your legend."

- The man of a million handles.

Re: This is what people do when they have bad years.

Dec 20, 2010, 10:59 AM

patience grasshopper

to be fair...

Dec 20, 2010, 11:00 AM [ in reply to This is what people do when they have bad years. ]

if you have a bad team it's more LIKELY that a freshman can come in and make an impact as well.

But I agree, the Korn saga the last few years alone should urge caution on annoiting any player or group of players as 'savior'.

True***

Dec 20, 2010, 12:17 PM

Yeah, Lattimore and Jeffries contributed little as freshman.

Dec 20, 2010, 6:12 PM [ in reply to This is what people do when they have bad years. ]

so why expect four of the top national wide receiver recruits and the two top running backs from the state of florida to make any contributions at our two thinnest positions , with a veteran offensive line returning ? ...lol

Who is Jeffries?

Dec 20, 2010, 6:34 PM

?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Lattimore and Alshon are exceptions

Dec 20, 2010, 6:46 PM [ in reply to Yeah, Lattimore and Jeffries contributed little as freshman. ]

not the rule

Good job... you named 2 guys out of about 50 recruits

Dec 21, 2010, 12:30 AM [ in reply to Yeah, Lattimore and Jeffries contributed little as freshman. ]

over their 2 recruiting classes. You kow... it's rare... like I said.

They are exceptions that prove the rule.

have fun believing that***

Dec 20, 2010, 1:33 PM

nm

Believing what?

Dec 20, 2010, 7:25 PM

The numbers are what they are, period.

So talk about my numbers where I show you how much of a

Dec 20, 2010, 7:46 PM

step down Dabo is from Tommy.

Maybe he will fail, or maybe not. Not enough data to say.

Dec 20, 2010, 7:50 PM

But there IS enough data to say Spurrier hasn't accomplished any more than Dabo.

I can agree with that. You are pretty spot on there.***

Dec 20, 2010, 7:52 PM

Re: That and Spurrier has about 40 yrs more experience!***

Dec 20, 2010, 7:03 PM

Re: That and Spurrier has about 40 yrs more experience!***

Dec 20, 2010, 7:04 PM

shouldnt there be a limit on the amount of time an idiotic thread can continue.

Yep, all that and he STILL

Dec 20, 2010, 7:33 PM [ in reply to Re: That and Spurrier has about 40 yrs more experience!*** ]

hasn't done more than Dabo.

Steve Spurrier has done no more than Dabo Swinney....

Dec 20, 2010, 10:39 PM

Just an unbelievable rationale.

Swinney prays every night to have a career like Steve Spurrier's.

Re: Steve Spurrier has done no more than Dabo Swinney....

Dec 20, 2010, 10:43 PM

patience grasshopper

Yeah, that's the ticket!

Dec 21, 2010, 12:47 PM [ in reply to Steve Spurrier has done no more than Dabo Swinney.... ]

"I'm horribly, pathetically, ridiculously pathetic."
-Toogieof09

You said it, not me.

And you never lived up to your part of the bargain...

Dec 21, 2010, 1:11 PM

just another Stanley lie.

Just like the one about you never having a handle that was banned from Tnet.

Yes, I did. Thanks for not denying the obvious though.***

Dec 21, 2010, 1:12 PM

Freshman can always make an impact...see Spiller***

Dec 20, 2010, 10:58 PM

Most of TigerNet is enamored with big names and ESPN.

Dec 20, 2010, 11:45 PM

They have also convinced themselves that Clemson's administration does not care about the product on the field. To them, a commitment to winning means hiring the big names that ESPN likes, regardless of what those big names have actually done to prove their worth.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Most of TigerNet is enamored with big names and ESPN.

Dec 21, 2010, 12:47 AM

so which one is better? you be the judge..

A huge name who has "actually done nothing to prove their worth."

or

A non name who has " actually done nothing to prove their worth."

Dec 21, 2010, 1:15 PM

This is a stupid post.I don't like usuck, but to say SOS is a bad coach is laughable.I guess all the SEC coaches voting him coach of the year this year can just be ignored.I knew when they hired him we were in trouble,I just didn't think it would take this long.

Yes... yes they can be ignored...because that does

Dec 21, 2010, 1:20 PM

not support Stanley's claim. So he'll tell you to ignore it because it is probably irrelevant.

In spite of that vote...

Dec 22, 2010, 11:04 AM

Spurrier hasn't done any more than Dabo, and he's has a lot more time to try. The vote means nothing.

Why is it a "stupid post", cockboy?

Dec 22, 2010, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Re: So Spurrier is a genius now? ]

It's nothing but simple, irrefutable facts showing Spurrier hasn't done any more in 6 years than Dabo has done in 2, and perhaps even less. It doesn't say Spurrier is a bad coach, unless you're saying Dabo is a bad coach in which case Spurrier might even be considered worse than Dabo.

Your choice, but in any event you can stop the demented charade. Okay?

You're right- less than 60% winning is an improvement

Dec 21, 2010, 1:28 PM

the last 100 years for USuC, and a decline the last 2.5 years for us. Contests, you win. :)

Dec 22, 2010, 11:43 AM

A few things to consider:

To compare Dabo and Spurier, we best compare their first 2 years only... Dabo has yet to coach years 3 thru 6 so we can only speculate. If Dabo makes it thru 6 years as HC at Clemson, then I assume he will have to do MUCH better than he did this year (and in doing so should have plenty to show for it in the way of wins, winning %, Division titles, possible ACC titles and BCS games). Not saying that Dabo will accomplish these things BUT only that he will need to do so in order to be here 4 more seasons as HC.

SOS did very little to brag about his first 4 years, and candidly admitted as much during numerous interviews about his team and their on-field and off-field issues. The last 2 years have been notable improvements and claiming less is dishonest even for Clemson fans... I bleed orange but can still see thru orange tinted glasses well enough to recognize they are playing good ball on a consistent basis (and we aren't). Surely all of us can view the scoreboard the past 2 years.

Do I hope Spurier continues improving things in Cola? No way! I hope they have a complete meltdown in 2011 and he retires leaving them in shambles.

Do I hope Dabo improves things? Absolutely, and would love to see him as HC the next 4 years provided we see some 10-win seasons with at least 1 ACC title and BCS berth by 2012. Otherwise we need to move on...

Oh, I agree.

Dec 22, 2010, 11:52 AM

There's no way Dabo can only do as well as Spurrier has over 6 years and expect to keep his job. Fact is though, he already has as many accomplishments.

I'm not sure why you're saying 7-6, losing a bowl game to UConn, and finishing unranked in year 5 is a success.

And you give Spurrier credit for the Peach Bowl this year, after year 6, but you demand Dabo makes the BCS by year 4?

Re: Oh, I agree.

Dec 22, 2010, 12:15 PM

I don't give Spurier credit for anything last year other than beating our ##### in Columbia, and using young players to do it. If you don't give him and their coaches credit for that, then what?

The fact is they have shown improvements on the field for 2 straight years and it culminated in their first ever SEC title game this year. SO they got drummed by the #1 team in country, they drummed us 1 week earlier.

What are Dabo's many accomplishments? Getting to the ACCCG and losing to GT, going to the Gator and losing again to end the season on a 0-3 skid.

Its pretty dishonest to call that a major plus for him, and not give Spurier a major plus for getting to the SECCG and losing to Auburn.

I do agree, Dabo will have to do more over 6 years than Spurier has done at SC. 2 main reasons for this:
1 - Dabo did not take over a team or program lacking talent, thanks to TB also having great recruiting track record. Also the previous coach averaged 8 wins/yr and dominated the state rival. He must improve on that not lose ground and simply gain it back. Dabo has NO track record as a HC to back him up if things linger where they are...
2 - Spurier took over a program with no history of winning, and consistently sucking. So presumably it would take a bit more to produce good results, and Spurier has a track record in college football of getting those results.

If you are too blind to notice these aspects or choose to ignore them to try and make a point... too bad for you.

I gave Spurrier all the credit he deserved.

Dec 22, 2010, 12:32 PM

Nowhere am I comparing Clemson and uSC other than to say that their head coaches have an eerily similar set of accomplishments, and one guy has been there 6 years and the other only 2.

Again, finishing 7-6, losing to UConn in a bowl, and finishing 42nd in the country is, well, not good by any measure let alone for a guy who was in his 5th year. It has nothing to do with how uSC did against Clemson.

Not sure where you're getting the "0-3 skid" thing from, but regardless I'm pretty sure I can find some skids in Spurrier's uSC resume.

The resumes and accomplishments of each guy have been clearly listed. The best Spurrier can hope for after bowl season is to have equal accomplishments to Dabo.

Dabo and Spurrier took over teams with about equal in talent. That is a fact.

What uSC did in years previous to that has nothing to do with this comparison. Spurrier has been coaching for decades. While what he did anywhere else is meaningless in this relevant comparison, you can't say he should be given more time just because the university has sucked for 100+ years.

These are just the simple facts of the matter, and it excludes meaningless perceptions. These simple facts clearly show Spurrier hasn't done any more at uSC than Dabo has done at Clemson, and Dabo has done it in a third of the time.

To be fair...

Dec 22, 2010, 12:49 PM

I do not disagree with much of what you are stating... just that I think Spurier had plenty to with them beating us the past 2 years (and in fact they were 2 of our worst losses by any measure as far as margin or beign outplayed).

My other point stems from exactly what said, and is our main point of disagreement:
"What uSC did in years previous to that has nothing to do with this comparison. Spurrier has been coaching for decades. While what he did anywhere else is meaningless in this relevant comparison, you can't say he should be given more time just because the university has sucked for 100+ years."

That is just not the case. You can not compare a 2nd year coach with a 6th year coach at different schools, without accounting for their situations.

SC was in worse shape than Clemson when Spurier took over, based on any review of the previous years (be it 5 yr, 10 yr or 100 yr review). Thus it was a more difficult task which was expected to take longer.

Spurier has an estbalished track record which can not and should not be dismissed. Dabo has none. Spurier is given more lattitude and rightfully so.

That is my opinion on it. I think yours is quite different, but also think you are in the minority on that.

Sorry bud, but again, you can compare the two situations.

Dec 22, 2010, 4:30 PM

uSC was 6-5 the season before Spurrier arrived, and it's a fact they had just as much talent as what Dabo inherited. Spurrier had something like 8 NFL draft picks on the roster he inherited. Why do insist on saying he had to build from the bottom up? Again, how uSC did at any point previous to Spurrier has nothing to do how he's done since.

To a certain extent, you're right though, you can't compare a 2nd year guy to a 6th year guy, except to say the 6 year guy has had 3 times the amount if time to get things going.

Why would Spurrier be given more latitude? the fact he has all that experience should mean he gets even less latitude. If Clemson hired a big name and if after 6 years he was only doing as well as a brand new head coach

Furthermore, the point here has nothing to do with what Spurrier did at Florida or even Duke. It has everything to do with what he's done at uSC compared to what Dabo has done at Clemson - in a third of the time.

The simple point, which cannot be refuted, is that Spurrier has done nothing more at uSC, in 6 years, than Dabo did at Clemson in 2.

This is the absurd part of your statements:***

Dec 23, 2010, 11:58 AM

What are you talking about?***

Dec 23, 2010, 12:01 PM

Re: This is the absurd part of your statements:*** 2nd try!

Dec 23, 2010, 12:14 PM [ in reply to This is the absurd part of your statements:*** ]

"Why would Spurrier be given more latitude? the fact he has all that experience should mean he gets even less latitude. If Clemson hired a big name and if after 6 years he was only doing as well as a brand new head coach"

Yes, becuase of his experience and proven record of success at coaching college football.

In hiring someone to manage ANY significant operation (especially one with millions of dollars at risk) you would absolutely allow more latitude to someone with experience and track-record of accomplishments. To suggest an experienced persons deserves less latitude than someone with zero experience or track record is absurd. Your suggestion on this topic is in fact absurd as well, and makes no logical sense in any scenario (college coaching or otherwise).

Dabo could be on heading to a great coaching career, or just average... he also could have no freakin clue and this could be his only and last HC position. There is no track record by which we might gauge which is likely.

I hope Dabo is on the verge of leading us to many 10-win seasons and wins over our rivals... but very few people will desire to wait out 2 more seasons of the crap we put on the field this year, so I do not see him getting 5-6 years to get it done. Not if 2011 is a repeat of 2010.

Fail.

Dec 23, 2010, 12:25 PM

If a company has an opening in an important position, then they can either hire a guy with a ton of experience or a guy with some experience that they think can grow into the job.

If they hire the experienced guy and pay him millions to get the job done, then they ABSOLUTELY demand immediate results. If they hire the guy with less experience, then they allow him more latitude and more mistakes then the experienced multi-million dollar guy.

There are simply no two ways about it. Your analogy is completely backwards.

We already agreed that Dabo won't make it 6 years if he demonstrates the lack of results that Spurrier has.

Re: I gave Spurrier all the credit he deserved.

Dec 22, 2010, 4:09 PM [ in reply to I gave Spurrier all the credit he deserved. ]

First thing you are doing wrong in your evaluation is putting the ACC and the SEC as equal.Even wearing orange colored glasses this looks fuzzy.It is ok for you to post this on this board, but please don't post something like this on the national board.People like you and 43 tigers making these kind of statements always show up on other boards as a comic piece.

I can se it hurts your feeling, but there's

Dec 22, 2010, 4:37 PM

nothing wrong with the comparison. If you want to add SOS then please add some data from several sources. No problem.

Regardless, cockboy, a school doesn't hire Steve Spurrier and follow-up by whining about the schedule.

I get it now!!!!!

Dec 22, 2010, 4:40 PM

Everyone, including people with Tiger in their name, who doesn't agree with everything you write is a Coot.

Glad we cleared that up.

Go Hogs, beat them Choke eyes

Re: Stanley, I've read all your posts and you've absolutely

Dec 22, 2010, 4:54 PM

convinced me. Swinney is fantastic...great coach! Won't get a single argument out of me. Y'all need to sign Swinney to a 10-year contract, iron clad and all.

We will just twaddle along with the mediocre Ole Ball Coach.

Your Character is what you do when no one is watching.

Do you realize how silly it is to compare Dabo to SS?

Dec 22, 2010, 5:58 PM

Get real. This "coot" stuff is really getting old. They kicked our tails 2 yrs in a row, and they are currently a better football team. As for the past, different story, but to keep re-hashing it is just pointless.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe you misunderstood.....

Dec 22, 2010, 11:02 PM

Who in their right mind would compare Spurrier's career to Swinney's?

What is being "re-hashed"?

Dec 22, 2010, 11:35 PM

Except beat our ##### the past two years.

I think that's been mentioned several times. Only an idiot

Dec 23, 2010, 10:44 AM

would try to deny the facts of that matter.

Similarly, it would be foolish to try and deny the fact that Spurrier hasn't accomplished more, in 6 years, than Dabo has in only 2.

"They talk most who have the least to say."

Dec 23, 2010, 8:08 AM

Matthew Prior (1664-1721)

Or something more current...

"That boy would argue with a fence post until it fell over."

Mom (1917-2003)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall

Since birth he's been a legend in his own mind!***

Dec 23, 2010, 11:21 AM

No, but still a good coach one of the best ever:

Dec 23, 2010, 12:01 PM

6 SEC titles, one NC.

nuff' said.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is no doubt that Spurrier has had a great career.

Dec 23, 2010, 12:10 PM

But at South Carolina, he's hasn't accomplished any more (in 6 years) than Dabo has at Clemson (in 2 years).

Nuff said.

True but much harder to get it done there.***

Dec 23, 2010, 1:28 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There is no doubt that Spurrier has had a great career.

Dec 23, 2010, 1:58 PM [ in reply to There is no doubt that Spurrier has had a great career. ]

Stanley quit being STUPID.If you put out a poll asking people through out the country who would they rather have for a head coach SOS or DABO you would be the only one voting for DABO!

There is nothing stupid about anything I've posted in this

Dec 26, 2010, 12:55 PM

thread. Contrarily, it is "stupid" to look at the numbers and say Spurrier has done any better at uSC than Dabo has done at Clemson.

glad you clarified......"this thread"***

Dec 27, 2010, 5:01 PM

Dec 27, 2010, 3:36 PM

If that helps you sleep at night bud...LOL LOL

He is 3-3 vs Clemson now while at SC. I don't know how far

Dec 27, 2010, 4:34 PM

you have to go back to find a Carolina coach with a break even record vs Clemson.

You missed one point.

Dec 28, 2010, 9:26 AM

Spurrier plays in the SEC which wins the National Championship about every year. Dabo is in the A She She which doesn't even get the attention of anybody. Its like comparing college to a high school team. You keep pumping yourself though. Good luck on your oil change bowl.

Replies: 133
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic