Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I met Dabo
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 85
| visibility 1

I met Dabo

Nov 12, 2010, 5:39 PM

yesterday and I can't tell you how impressive this guy is. Flame away but this guy is the right guy for Clemson. He is going to get it done for us. It might not be perfect this year but he has the right stuff. Time will tell, but my instincts are that he is going to take us to the next level. I saw some things yesterday at Clemson that I couldn't believe - up close and personal. This program of ours is first class. I was blown away by our coach and our facilities. It was incredibly impressive. Let's get behind Dabo and the Tigers. He is a first class individual and we have a first class program.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed..

Nov 12, 2010, 5:42 PM

I like Dabo a lot and think he has the mentality to lead Clemson to the next level. I also think after the season it is time for him to make a statement to Tiger nation that he is here to win, by bringing in a real, experienced offensive staff.

I'll be pulling like crazy tomorrow night for a victory. Go Tigers! Time to win on the road and I will forget all of the hardships we have gone through this year. Saturday could change the season. I know 5-4 isn't anything to brag about, but we are still alive some how. So let's take advantage and win the division.

Go Tigers! Time to kick some major a$$ in Tally! All IN!

I agree 100%. I just hope the 5% (don't need them, don't

Nov 12, 2010, 5:44 PM

want them)fans do not run Dabo and the recruits away.

Re: I agree 100%. I just hope the 5% (don't need them, don'

Nov 12, 2010, 5:49 PM

5 percent. Your funny. Were you at the maryland game?

Re: I guarntee you that they will do their best to do both.***

Nov 12, 2010, 6:42 PM [ in reply to I agree 100%. I just hope the 5% (don't need them, don't ]

Re: I agree 100%. I just hope the 5% (don't need them, don't

Nov 13, 2010, 10:40 AM [ in reply to I agree 100%. I just hope the 5% (don't need them, don't ]

That 5% thing got all goofed up. To some people it meant one thing, to others it meant something totally different.

Re: I met Dabo

Nov 12, 2010, 5:45 PM

Dabo is a great guy no doubt. You have to look at the big picture, wins and losses and x's and o's. That will determine his fate. I like Dabo and want to win but we need to win

Re: I met Dabo-winning

Nov 12, 2010, 5:50 PM

I met Shaytt and Cliff several times too. Both were nice and impressive to talk to. Couldn't win- got dumped.

I'm glad Dabo was nice and you enjoyed it but he could be Mother Teresa (or the guy equivalent anyway) and he's done if he doesn't win enough games. That's just how that job works.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cliff who? Cliff Ellis?

Nov 12, 2010, 5:53 PM

He did lead us to our only first place ACC finish of any kind (reg season or tourney) in history...

Re: Cliff who? Cliff Ellis?

Nov 12, 2010, 6:00 PM

great coach we should have never let leave

Nov 12, 2010, 6:05 PM [ in reply to Re: I met Dabo-winning ]

I understand about winning. I just said I think he has the right stuff and that time would tell. But I tell you all that the facilities we have are incredible and that he is first class. I just believe in him and again, time will prove me right or wrong. I know he has to win.

Nov 12, 2010, 6:15 PM

I think all Dabo lacks is the killer instinct to know who to surround himself with

Really?

Nov 12, 2010, 8:13 PM

Are you fricking serious? He has been here all of two years, the first few months of which were total pandemonium. How the flip do YOU know whether or not he has the "killer instinct?" We had a pretty good year last year, lost the three most productive offensive players from our team, have struggled this year, and that translates to he doesn't have the "killer instinct?" That is the most idiotic thing I think I have ever heard. Give these guys more than a nanosecond to get the job done (and no, I am not advocating giving them 10 years like Bowden).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

Re: Really?

Nov 13, 2010, 12:43 AM

It's not the most idiotic thing you have heard. That is way dramatic.
It's just my opinion. 2-7 in games decided by less than 5 points to me is not killer instinct

That's BS. He's been a head coach for two years of his life.

Nov 13, 2010, 9:47 AM

Yes, he is still learning how to be a head coach, but a will to win, i.e. "killer instinct", is not one of the things he's still trying to develop. The close game deal has nothing to do with his "killer instinct". It's had everything to do with offensive player execution when it mattered most. Dabo's "killer instinct" has put us in position to win every game we've played in spite of player or other coaching personnel.

If Dabo can surround himself with some guys to improve the the offensive side of the ball, then he will be at Clemson for many years and perhaps decades to come.

Cliff was actually one of our best BB coaches.***

Nov 12, 2010, 6:16 PM [ in reply to Re: I met Dabo-winning ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and was lead singer in a beach music band to boot !!!***

Nov 12, 2010, 6:20 PM

Who has said winning is not important or suggested that

Nov 12, 2010, 6:21 PM [ in reply to Re: I met Dabo-winning ]

being a great guy is some sort of acceptable trade-off?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Amen. Dabo knows exactly what is at stake.

Nov 12, 2010, 8:15 PM

He knows he needs to win, and to suggest otherwise is foolish. Whether or not it gets done remains to be seen, but to say that we have some swell guy as coach and winning is secondary is just dumb.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

Absolutely - and he may yet. Soon.***

Nov 12, 2010, 5:57 PM [ in reply to Re: I met Dabo ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Just after we hired Dabo as an assistant, I had a couple of

Nov 12, 2010, 5:47 PM

fairly prominent, long time Bama boosters who knew Dabo tell me how lucky we were to get him, how it was a mistake for Bama to let him get away, and how they expected big things from him at some point.

- H. L. Mencken

with our luck he learns how to coach here for 5 years

Nov 12, 2010, 6:21 PM

and then go to alabammy for major success

Nov 12, 2010, 5:47 PM

Met Tommy Bowden and Tommy West. Both nice guys. Both couldnt win football games. This isnt a popularity contest. This is D1 football. Just win

Nov 12, 2010, 5:58 PM

must be great to be you. you are such a pleasant guy.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2010, 6:10 PM

Given your response I sure wouldn't trade places with you. We're on the same team. Just commenting that I thought he was first class and that he's the kind of guy I'm proud of to be in charge of our program. Go have a drink and chill bro'....

Actually.....its the other one you should've posted under***

Nov 12, 2010, 6:15 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While I agree with the sentiment that Dabo is a great guy,

Nov 12, 2010, 5:50 PM

and I personally want him to succeed (I'm pulling hard for Clemson and subsequently him), but what are your qualifications for determining the ability of a major college football coach?

If all it takes is charisma, Dabo and Clemson will be winning National Championships year in and year out. Unfortunately, it takes more than that.

What convinced you that he has more than that? What convinced you that the staff has more than that?

And again I am not a "Fire Dabo" guy. I have no real reasons to think he can't succeed any more than I have saying he will (other than the 5-4 record we post now).

Re: While I agree with the sentiment that Dabo is a great guy,

Nov 12, 2010, 6:02 PM

In comparison Saban and Meyer are not the most charming but they win

Nov 12, 2010, 6:08 PM

uh, what was sabans record his 1st year at bama. dont remember meyers but i bet it wasnt much better.

Nov 12, 2010, 6:12 PM

Saban
7-6
12-2
14-0
7-2 so far this year
Meyer
9-3
13-1
9-4
13-1
13-1
6-3 so far this year

Re: FLORIDA needs fire Meyer. He is going backwards.***

Nov 12, 2010, 6:40 PM

Re: FLORIDA needs fire Meyer. He is going backwards.***

Nov 12, 2010, 6:41 PM

I know, fire him!!

And there's nothing wrong with that; but it's not an

Nov 12, 2010, 6:18 PM [ in reply to Re: While I agree with the sentiment that Dabo is a great guy, ]

either/or deal. A coach can be a great guy and a nice guy and still win big as well.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: And there's nothing wrong with that; but it's not an

Nov 12, 2010, 6:26 PM

true but they are paid to recruit, develop and win

yes . . . I'm not sure I understand your point. I don't

Nov 12, 2010, 7:30 PM

disagree with that.

Coaches are indeed hired to win, and to do so they must recruit and develop. People always say what a great guy Dabo is, then others point out that it takes more than charisma and being a great guy, and that we need to win. People point out that guys like Meyer and Saban aren't necessarily nice guys but they win.

My whole point is that you can be a great guy, a nice guy, and have Charisma like Dabo, and still win (and recruit and develop). Having those qualities has nothing to do with his ability to win (if anything, they'd only be an asset).

- H. L. Mencken

Re: yes . . . I'm not sure I understand your point. I don't

Nov 13, 2010, 12:22 AM

I get what you are saying and in a perfect world that is what we want but winning, recruiting and developing are the most important

I don't think you are understanding me - I agree with

Nov 13, 2010, 10:54 AM

that 100% and am not suggesting anything else.

Winning (by recruiting and developing) is a coaches job; he absolutely must do those things successfully. Everything else is irrelevant if he does not do those things. Period.

Again, all I'm saying is that there is no reason that a "great guy" like Dabo can't do that.

- H. L. Mencken

my daughter met him his first HC yr at a hoops game.

Nov 12, 2010, 5:52 PM

her group bumped into him in the concourse and he posed for a picture with them. No, I'm not posting it. Nice that he took a minute out for random students like that.

Great guy, but we need to win games.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2010, 6:02 PM

I met Dabo at the top of the hill next to "Howard's Rock" one morning toward the end of July. I was just standing there looking down the hill and stadium and he introduced himself to me. He is definitely a "first class act" and I hope he can get the job done. I believe he has what it takes.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Soldier

Nov 12, 2010, 6:05 PM

First I am not attacking you for saying that. I don't think anyone around here knows "what it takes" we are working on 20+ years since a championship. We need objectivity to revitalize the program not words but actions. JMO

Nov 12, 2010, 6:19 PM

I've been a Clemson Fan since a little boy in the decade of the 50s during Frank Howard's best days and then through the 20 year lull between Coach Howard until Coach Pell and Danny Ford resurged the program in the late 70s and through 80s. I watched Hatfield run us in the ground after Danny's players were gone. I've been around pulling for them during this 20 year lull since Danny left. Dabo is only in his second full year and we were at the championship game during his first year. It takes class in a coach to be a success too and Dabo's got it. You got to be able to sign the recruits and he is definitely got what it takes to do that. So if you feel like you've just been lectured by a long time Clemson Fan whose blood is solid orange....good!!!

Clemson Soldier

Nov 12, 2010, 6:25 PM

-I respect that. Here is where I think you are wrong and what is missing and it is SO important. Something Danny and his staff were so good at.
-you mention signing recruits, you are right BUT more than that you have to develop your recruits and that is what we haven't done at a high level in a long time.
-The 70's and 80's staff developed players better with less

Nov 12, 2010, 6:34 PM

I hear what you're saying about developing players. I also hope to see us get better doing that too. It also takes a never give up spirit to win like we did last Saturday when we tried to hand that game over on a silver platter over and over again. Coach Howard said and many others have said since that "Football is a game of inches" and sometimes you win and lose by a few. So far, this is pretty much true under Dabo. He's lost some by inches and won some by inches.

Clemson Soldier

Nov 12, 2010, 6:39 PM

You know I would agree but it's things like when KP attempts 30 or more passes we are 2-8. You have to be aware of stuff like that. Other teams figure our offensive tendencies out pretty easy

Thats a stupid stat.

Nov 12, 2010, 6:43 PM

When do teams throw the most? When they are losing and need to come back. I would bet that stat is true for just about every QB in the country- their record is poorest when they throw the most passes.

The opposite is also true- a team's record is generally better when they have the most runs. Why? Because you run the most when you have the lead and are trying to kill the clock.

Re: Thats a stupid stat.

Nov 13, 2010, 12:45 AM

All of those losses were decided by less than 7 points we weren't throwing all game to come back.

Nov 12, 2010, 6:45 PM [ in reply to Re: I met Dabo ]

Yes, but maybe we can execute better then it don't matter if they figure out our tendencies. They won't be able to do anything about it. I'm not a coach :) Don't mean to get on such a high horse.

Clemson Soldier

We know one thing for sure. He sure as #### can recruit.

Nov 12, 2010, 6:28 PM

The current class is already consensus top 10 and has a very real potential for being the greatest class in Clemson history and consensus top 3.

We already have commits from the #2 RB and #5 WR and we are in good shape for the #1 OLB, #1 ILB and #3 WR.

All this plus the 16-17 starters back for next year and this team is going to be loaded.

Re: We know one thing for sure. He sure as #### can recruit.

Nov 12, 2010, 6:35 PM

we have to do a better job developing players. We need a proven WR/QB/RB coach

Nov 12, 2010, 6:41 PM

I believe Dabo probably realizes that. Let's see if he fixes it.

Clemson Soldier

Nov 14, 2010, 6:42 PM [ in reply to We know one thing for sure. He sure as #### can recruit. ]

Which will be funny as hell when we lose to BC or Maryland, possibly both.

Remember, we have a team composed of nothing but top 25 recruiting classes right now. Minus 2009 where we still pulled in a QB that by all means should be starting and dominating according to his hype, we pull in classes that should place us at the peak of the ACC year in and year out.

I could give a #### about this year's recruiting class because they won't amount to #### with this coaching staff. I'm not so sure we'll keep most of them when we finish with a trouncing by South Carolina and end up playing in a toilet bowl.

2006- #16
2007- #16
2008- #12
2009- #37
2010- #19

All of this and we're ranked somewhere between 40-50 in the computer polls. By all means we should be a top 25 team with ease.

Let's all hope he succeeds... cause if he doesn't, we're

Nov 12, 2010, 6:47 PM

going to have one or two more bad seasons and then have to start over again with a new coach.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ A big problem with the fan base right now....

Nov 12, 2010, 6:50 PM

I met and spent time with Tommy Bowden when he was here... really great guy. But the dude couldn't get it done.

This isn't a popularity contest. It's football. Who cares if he's a great guy if he loses?

Come on...

THE TIGERS ARE IN MY HEART..... BUT THE DUCKS ARE IN MY PANTS....

It's my opinion the OP knows the difference between

Nov 12, 2010, 7:10 PM

a "really great guy" and a "guy whos going to take us to the next level"

I could be wrong.

Nov 12, 2010, 7:50 PM

I agree, have met him before also. I believe he will do great things with this program. GO TIGERS!!!!

Nov 12, 2010, 8:36 PM

I hope he does.

He lacks Head Coaching experience, but his youth and passion are great qualities and they help set he (and therefore Clemson)apart from the competition.

He has to win though, or it doesn't mean much... I think doing an honest evaluation at the end of the season and making positive improvements on his coaching staff (with
the support of the AD) where needed are critical to his success.

A sucker is born every minute...***

Nov 12, 2010, 10:48 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A loser, like you, only comes along once every hour.

Nov 12, 2010, 10:50 PM

Sucker X 60

I know what you mean. All those people that got suckered by

Nov 13, 2010, 3:40 PM [ in reply to A sucker is born every minute...*** ]

Paul Johnson is crazy. Especially at a school like Georgia Tech where you'd think they're pretty smart. Good thing we have Dabo.

ACC championship.***

Nov 13, 2010, 7:29 PM

They are 5-5

Nov 13, 2010, 7:45 PM [ in reply to I know what you mean. All those people that got suckered by ]

3-4 in the conf. Same place Clemson may find themselves tonight

Fiat Justitia et Pereat Mundus

His teams better start moving the chains and

Nov 12, 2010, 11:57 PM

scoring points or he will be just another nice person that used to head up a major college program. Kind of like Red Parker, Hootie Ingram, Tommy West, all of them very nice.

Well.....

Nov 13, 2010, 1:59 AM

His players stay out of trouble and graduate. He recruits well enough.

All that remains is to win football games. I believe we are still deposing the witnesses on that phase of the trial.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Demon Deacon problems? There's an app for that too, and it ain't buggy like that yellowjacket repellant:

He can Sell Swamp Land in Arizona by phone- thats for sure!!***

Nov 13, 2010, 8:10 AM

Re: Im 100% behind DABO***

Nov 13, 2010, 9:08 AM

He can make Chicken S*** taste like Chicken salad thats for

Nov 13, 2010, 9:24 AM

Sure!!

Dabo is NOT

Nov 13, 2010, 9:31 AM

a phony. Contrast him with TB. Dabo, his wife and boys attend Clemson basketball games when the only reason they have to be there is because they want to be there. Their seats are near mine. TB would only show up if he had a part on the program. Then he would disappear as soon as that was done.

At most BB games we football "experts" gather in the concourse at half time to cuss and discuss recruiting. At one game last year who comes over and pops into the circle but Dabo. Think you would ever see TB or KH do that?

Re: Dabo is NOT

Nov 13, 2010, 9:47 AM

and he loves Clemson more that those who don't know him do. I hope he is around as long as Coach Howard was!!

Am I flashing back to four years ago?

Nov 13, 2010, 10:37 AM

This sounds exactly like the "Tommy Bowden is a Good Christian Man™" posts when he was on the hot seat.

I agree that Dabo is a good person but that doesn't mean squat if he doesn't win ballgames.

If he has the right stuff, when is he going to use it??***

Nov 13, 2010, 11:31 AM

Tell him I said hey***

Nov 13, 2010, 11:05 PM

So if "nice guy" Dabo does not work out....

Nov 13, 2010, 12:53 PM

do we continue to experiment with coaches and hire the meanest, non-church-going ####### to coach and see if he wins?

And, if he wins, will we see posts on TI complaining that so and so would not take a picture with my daughter, he does not attend BB games, he really does not LOVE Clemson....no, you'll be saying, we'll he's an SOB, but he wins games.

Just saying...

I could not agree more! Give him a little more time and he

Nov 13, 2010, 7:08 PM

will have us on top again!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

Nov 13, 2010, 7:33 PM

38 posts

common enough among dabo worshipers

i guess all of us should just trust your instinct

after all, it makes so much more sense than examining the results on the field

this is the kind of crap that got us where we are today

expect more of the same next season and another 2-3 start

all due simply to Dabo man crush

i swear if we put some lipstick on dabo some of you would try to bed him

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good post***

Nov 14, 2010, 10:43 AM

Bump

Nov 13, 2010, 11:33 PM

Where are you at now, pumper?

67 thumbs up?***

Nov 13, 2010, 11:34 PM

P.T. Barnum was right.***

Nov 13, 2010, 11:34 PM

Didn't we say the same thing....

Nov 13, 2010, 11:35 PM

About Tommy West and Tommy Bowden

Dabo is pathetic and that is why he sold real estate before

Nov 13, 2010, 11:37 PM

Dabo is pathetic and that is why he sold real estate before Tommy who was a bigger loser hired him.

You are wrong he is a joke.

I wish I met him...

Nov 13, 2010, 11:42 PM

as he was clearing out his office and headed back to alabama to sell real estate....this train wreck is something to behold....makes Bowden and company look good....

You know I hear Obama...

Nov 14, 2010, 10:46 AM

is impressive when you meet him too...

Nov 14, 2010, 10:47 AM

I have met alot of people who are impressive but that does Not make them qualified for head coach of a college football team. I am not anti-Dabo but please, we are suppose to feel warm inside becasue you think he is an impressive guy? I thought Tommy West was one of the nicest guys I had ever met, I would do anything to help him in a time of need. However, he was not the man to be the head coach of Clemson.

Nov 14, 2010, 5:23 PM

Worst thread ever. Being nice doesn't mean jack.

I met Tommy Bowden...

Nov 14, 2010, 5:27 PM

Would I want him coaching my Tigers...no...my high school football team....no...my little league team, maybe, he is a good man...just not a football coach...

Dabo could sell Global Warming to a Eskimo in February***

Nov 14, 2010, 5:55 PM

Replies: 85
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic