Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Nattering Nabobs of Negativity
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Nattering Nabobs of Negativity

Oct 14, 2010, 12:37 AM

I'll probably be checking into T-Net a lot less. I'm confounded and dismayed about the "tiger faithfull" who hyperventilate negativity on here every week. If Clemson wins, it was not by enough, if they lose, FIRE DABO!

Last time I checked, 33 miners were rescued in Chile, several more soldiers were wounded in Afghanistan, and Iran has not launched nukes...yet.

Two weeks ago, everyone was up in arms over a noon kickoff. Hell, I just spent 3 years stationed overseas, and I was overjoyed to get the game on internet radio starting at midnight. Wow, that must really suck to have to sit in Death Valley in the middle of the afternoon to watch a football game.

I can't count the posts claiming to have dropped their IPTAY membership when Dabo was hired. Promise? Please don't change your mind at the next victory and don't ask for my tickets at bowl season.

During the PC game (September 11) I was flying to Afghanistan. I was not concerned about the margin of victory against PC. That week, I met a fellow AF Colonel and CU grad (I had not seen since the day we graduated from Clemson and got comissioned into the AF in 1985) in a chow hall in Afghanistan. She was starting her duty shift as a nurse taking care of wounded servicemen. She could have cared less about the start time of the Miami game or margin of victory against PC or even how many touches Ellerbe got in the last game.

Those of you blessed enough to live in SC, to be able to attend football games on Saturdays...enjoy your right to ##### and moan. Just sometimes please do it to your wife, dog, or bathroom mirror...just try to stop spewing on T-Net or other sites every night. Some of us are just happy to see, read, or hear about a game now and then.

I'll probably check back now and again to see if it's safe to come back. Go Clemson Tigers!

Cheers!

'85 Grad

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nattering Nabobs of Negativity

Oct 14, 2010, 1:00 AM

Well said, Sir! Thank you for your service. Keep this all in perspective, TigerFans. Your team WILL bounce back.

Yes, this is my first post. And yes, I'm a Coot (who grew up in Clemson, so I have a grudging respect for the Tigers' history).

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2010, 1:04 AM

First, thank you for your service!!
We fanatic Clemson fans want our beloved Tigers to be so successful that some lose their perspective. but know that all are pulling for success. Go Tigers

Oct 14, 2010, 1:10 AM

One more thing: Dabo is a great guy, and will be a great coach. Maybe some other staff changes should happen after the season, but that will work itself out. Dabo is the guy you wanted, and, long term, he will prove himself. Give it time, take some lumps, but hang with him. He'll get you where you want to go. (And no, this is not sarcastic).

Oct 14, 2010, 7:13 AM

My first ever, Thank you coot !!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Now that right there is what we need more of around here!

Oct 14, 2010, 7:18 AM

Alliteration!

JK........thank you for setting the record straight, sir. You have my appreciation and I hope you post more often on tnet.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Unfortunately the fans that you are talking about aren't

Oct 14, 2010, 7:24 AM

in touch with reality like you are. They are fickle. They don't understand how the real world works. You don't stop supporting your team when they lose. If you truly support something, you do it through thick and thin, through the good and the bad and even when its the worst it can be. I agree with everything you said. Good post! Thanks for your service to all of us!

Re: Unfortunately the fans that you are talking about aren't

Oct 14, 2010, 8:00 AM

Rich with negativity ................I like that.

True...

Oct 14, 2010, 8:03 AM

there are many many bigger things than sports, but this is a sports messageboard. That's what we come here to talk about.

When we leave here(or just go to the lounge) we talk about the war/government/religion/family etc etc etc... all the things that matter much much more than whether our coaching staff/team knows their #### hole from their elbow. But in this place, Clemson football is what we talk about, and since thing haven't been going so well lately, negativity is to be expected. I would be a bit more worried if I came on here and everyone was saying, 'Well, we tried, go get 'em next week!'

So, should people have more perspective on the relative importance of tiger football? Probably. But to a certain point it's that irrationality that makes us fans.(Short for fanatics) You know who has great perspective about the sport? Ivy League football fans. You can't on the one hand say 'Clemson has great fans that are really into it!!' and on the other say 'I wish you guys would calm down when things aren't going our way.'.

Thanks for all you do to keep us safe. Keep your head down and come back home to us alright.

I appreciate what you have to say - very much BUT

Oct 14, 2010, 8:13 AM

I wonder if you ever drop by any of those service members home after separation to have a talk with them about their VA care and service - do you tell them to quit complaining? Or have you ever said with cold-heartedness, a "bitching trooper/sailor/marine" is a "happy trooper/sailor/marine."

About the miners, I am very happy for the miner lives saved in the last couple of days. And, I am very thankful for the service members sacrifice (Been there - 9 years) in all aspects of their lives. BUT, I wonder how you would feel if the US government hired nursing students to run those medical sites - people who intend to do well but were never qualified to do the job to start with? How many of those service members would have to suffer or die before it became apparent that there was a reason why people had to grow and learn about the job BEFORE they got the job? There are some jobs that are not "on the job training" positions.

Furthermore, if you do not accept mediocrity in your work, or from those around you, then why expect it from others? Why wouldn't you also demand better in and from the things your troop or fellow Tiger fans seek enjoyment and even inspiration from? SUre, it is just a game, but so is life - right?

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

You can't possibly be comparing nursing

Oct 14, 2010, 8:22 AM

students managing hospitals to a young coach managing a football team... that's ridiculous to say the least. It surprises me that supposedly intelligent people can make such asinine statements. The original poster, OkiTiger, hit the nail on the head. God bless our troops and let's go Tigers!

I think his point was that you should not stop supporting

Oct 14, 2010, 10:36 AM [ in reply to I appreciate what you have to say - very much BUT ]

the school when things are not going well. Voicing your concerns is one thing and everyone has that right and it's ok. But to stop giving to the school, stop going to games, etc - that is what I have a problem with. I don't see where it helps, to me it hurts. I think you should show support win or lose. To me voicing your concerns is different and you can still do that and support the team by your attendance. That's just my opinion.

while that sounds good...

Oct 14, 2010, 11:16 AM

the truth of the matter is that the only bullet that 'consumers' have is to withdraw their money.

If I come on tigernet and ##### and moan, but still send money and attend games, what motivation does the admin have to get things fixed? Money keeps rolling in. But let the stadium only hold 60K for a year or so and the coffers start to get a little thin, well... they can't ignore that.

I have zero problem with someone who doesn't feel like this program is being competently run withdrawing their monetary support. Other than putting on a happy face and just taking it, what else can they do? I would say come on here and emotionally vent, but even that's discouraged.

Re: while that sounds good...

Oct 14, 2010, 11:30 AM

I understand what you are saying and I guess it's just what is important to people. I love going to Clemson, love going to games and sure I want them to win, but I want to be there lose or win. I was raised Clemson, went there and it's where I want to be. Not saying that makes me better than anyone else, it's just the way I look at it. I see it as supporting the team, not the administration. I know others see it differently.

I got no problem with that either...

Oct 14, 2010, 11:34 AM

go, watch, have a great time. I just understand those that say 'this ain't watchable and I want the admin to get the undeniable message that this is unacceptable'.

Much better to win the games and not have to make these decisions.

Re: while that sounds good...

Oct 14, 2010, 2:43 PM [ in reply to while that sounds good... ]

I'll bet that you support a LOT of things with your money that you may not approve of. There are many organizations that depend heavily on you buying a certain product. I know of several that I personally don't buy their products because of where the money goes. Jesse Jackson needs you!

Right on, Sir!

Oct 14, 2010, 8:21 AM

Nice to see a post from someone with their head screwed on right, rather than the very vocal, whining cry babies that dominate this board. You speak for the 98% of the real Tiger fans that support the program continuously and are smart enough to keep their criticism off message boards, even when we have some negative feelings. Go Tigers and beat the "twerps". Hope Dabo has reminded the team of the comments by a Maryland player after they beat us a couple of years ago. He said the "fridge" told them at halftime that if you hit Clemson in the mouth, they will quit!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ no commitment to winning ^^^

Oct 14, 2010, 9:01 AM

JUST KIDDING ;)

Great post!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

If it wasn't for Tigernet ...

Oct 14, 2010, 9:13 AM

Ellington would still be splitting carries with Harper.

Think about that!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Which means that potential recruits & their HS coaches could

Oct 14, 2010, 9:36 AM

be reading this garbage, not to mention the current players and real alums that we already have.

Think about that.

You saying that people don't have right to ##### about

Oct 14, 2010, 10:37 AM

the coach.

Isn't that the freedom you are fighting for?

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Um, hang on there a second.

Oct 14, 2010, 10:41 AM

Last time I checked, 33 miners were rescued in Chile, several more soldiers were wounded in Afghanistan, and Iran has not launched nukes...yet.

I don't take those things for granted, nor would I think that very many people on this board do.

But this is a SPORTS BOARD. People come here to talk about sports, not to rehash things in other areas. I talk about those things with my family, my wife, and my friends. I come here to talk about sports.

I don't understand why some people don't grasp the fundamental concept of a sports-based message board.

THANK YOU for serving our country. I am grateful for that in ways that I could never express.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

More world news and wife beating, less sports talk. Got it!

Oct 14, 2010, 11:10 AM

I think we should follow your lead and cut all coaching salaries by 80%. Then use that money to invest in a worldwide broadcast system. Success at Clemson is not important; the only thing that is important is for our troops to be able to see the games.

Oct 14, 2010, 12:12 PM

You can rest assured that I will not ask for you tickets at bowl season...and I'm glad you are "happy" to see, read or hear about a game now and then....

cheers to you

87 grad

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you are correct ...sir!***

Oct 14, 2010, 12:20 PM

Re: I always loved Safire's alliterations.***

Oct 14, 2010, 2:53 PM

Your Character is what you do when no one is watching.

He died not long ago, btw. I've always wondered

Oct 14, 2010, 3:00 PM

if all nabobs are "natterers." Hmm . . . something to Ponder.

So Rogue ####, do you see SC in Atlanta for the SEC game in December? I live down here in Florida, and I'm not sure if the gator fans fully understand what trouble they're in with you guys. (I'm not sure most of us do either!)

Re: He died not long ago, btw. I've always wondered

Oct 14, 2010, 3:11 PM

Not ready to predict anything much less an SECCG appearance.

We have tough games left...starting this weekend. We also have Arky with a very potent offense and Florida at the Swamp. And UT always seems to play one of their best games against us...luckily this year it is in Columbia.

I will reserve any predictions until I see how we respond to the win over Bama. We have a real chance to turn a corner, I just hope that the Bama game is not the sole highlight of our season.

Your Character is what you do when no one is watching.

It is truly all about perspective. Thanks for reminding

Oct 15, 2010, 8:58 AM

folks on here and thanks for your service to our country (and the world).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic