Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The floor, the game and the Clemson family
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1,307

The floor, the game and the Clemson family

Jan 15, 2010, 9:34 AM

For a couple of days, I've been baffled at the reaction to Clemson's faithful flooding the floor after beating the Heels.

Then something struck me. Perhaps the divergence of opinion isn't beacuse of the action, but the motivation.

Most folks outside the realm of Clemson saw hundreds of fans rushing the floor and thought "What a bush league move! They beat a team they were supposed to beat. Tehy should act like they've been there before!" (I'll place the notion that wins over the Heels are so few and sfar between that many of us HAVEN'T been there before aside for now.)

My thoughts on it are, of course colored by my time spent and devotion shared for Clemson. But in taking the floor Wednesday night, I see one of the major differences in Clemson and other fan bases. The difference between Coot Nation or Devil Nation or Tar Nation and the Clemson Family.

We are not nation. We are family (cue Sister Sledge here).

The folks that took the floor on Wednesday were as mostivated to share the joy with our players as they were to demonstrate mastery of a fallen foe. They were rushing to embrace Trevor, Demontez, David and Oliver like family members embracing at a wedding.

The day Clemson fans are not able to relate to the Sons of Clemson as family, something is sadly lost forever here.

I pray I never see that day.

Some p[eople get snarky when I say "We're Clemson; we're better than that." But Wednesday night's reaction to the game is a perfect example. This wasn't an "in-your-face-Carolina" moment ... this was a share the joy moment. It was an honest, heartfelt rush of emotion, joy and a bit of relief.

It was family.

And it was wonderful.

Message was edited by: RevDodd®

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with what you said and....

Jan 15, 2010, 9:40 AM

some of the storming of the court is due to the students basically being right on the court and there is really no barriers preventing them from coming on the court after a good win. The problem with it I have is the fact that some of the students rushed the court and instead of celebrating with the players like you said were too busy jumping up and down in front of the camera to get their ugly mug some tv time when realistically it should have been Trevor's time and they should have just sat back and supported him and once the interview was over celebrate with him. just my opinion.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with both of you.

Jan 15, 2010, 9:44 AM

We don't owe any haters out there some "Act like you've been there" attitude. What a ridiculous thing to be ridiculed for. I mean, if Duke beats Tri-County Tech by 60 and then storms the court, I'd find it funny, but I'm not going to get on the internet or TV and mock it or discuss whether it was an appropriate reaction. It's not for me to decide.

I do wish the students would have given Book some space. Not the end of the world, but they should have let him have the interview.

null

Agree with all three of you. Enjoy the win, celebrate

Jan 15, 2010, 9:53 AM

with the players, but let the postgame interviews focus on the players instead of sticking your face in front of the camera.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree too, but on the flip side...

Jan 15, 2010, 1:48 PM

although it was obnoxious for them to jump in front of Booker and disrupt the interview... when Booker was asked a question and he said with a giant grin, "I can't hear you...." you know he had to feel the excitement and energy from the fans... and you know he was proud and felt that the fans were proud of what he and the players had done.... honestly I was more annoyed with the 10 minute PIP of Roy.

This one assumes hind sight. I was so hyped I stormed the

Jan 15, 2010, 2:33 PM [ in reply to I agree with what you said and.... ]

kitchen, bath and hall before going outside to calm myself and cool my burning face.

Perhaps the overwhelmingness (one word that comes to mind) of the moment is to blame.

I do not believe that anyone wanted to take away from the players.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've rushed the court twice and never

Jan 15, 2010, 9:43 AM

had a problem with it. When it's a big win, or you win in a surprising way, then go ahead. I think our fans are even more likely because of the fact that we can so easily go on the football field every game (so its not that much of a stretch to rush the basketball court).

I remember getting front row seats for the Syracuse game in the endzone and running out on the court. Same kinda thing, Syracuse may have been down, it may have been the NIT, but Clemson really brought it and beat them and to beat a program like that was a BIG DEAL to all of us so we rushed the court. Everyone can lighten up.

GO TIGERS

Unfortunately, it's only a matter of time before the ACC or

Jan 15, 2010, 9:44 AM

NCAA eliminates that tradition from you.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

I agree...College athletes are beginning to...

Jan 15, 2010, 9:47 AM

be looked at as more than a student athlete and instead the super stars. Whether its right or wrong its only a matter of time before the NCAA steps in and says that there is so much that can go wrong in those situations and stop allowing teams to rush the court or field.

I don't think so...as long as we do it right.

Jan 15, 2010, 9:50 AM [ in reply to Unfortunately, it's only a matter of time before the ACC or ]

Neither the ACC nor NCAA will be able to controvert the meeting at the paw after football games. If Clemson establishes a similar tradition for basketball, they would be hard-pressed to change it.

Or, they could fine Clemson $5,000 every time it happens and out ticket prices would go up .50 per game.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In the SEC it's 5,000 the first, 50,000 the second

Jan 15, 2010, 9:51 AM

and increases after that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

If the ACC ever changes that rule

Jan 15, 2010, 9:58 AM [ in reply to Unfortunately, it's only a matter of time before the ACC or ]

we should be grandfathered in and still allowed to "gather at the paw."

GO TIGERS

I suppose that's one way to spin it***

Jan 15, 2010, 10:05 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not the Pointer Sisters...

Jan 15, 2010, 9:47 AM

Sister Sledge...and I agree with everything else you said.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yipes! Point for the heads-up! Fixed it.***

Jan 15, 2010, 9:51 AM

I certainly agree with the sentiment...I just wish that

Jan 15, 2010, 10:08 AM

students would allow a post-game interview to take place in a reasonable manner. That was where I thought it was a little unseemly.

Rushing the court I have no problem with but when you're next to the interview...give 'em some room and stop screaming at the camera.

I was about to say the exact same thing!

Jan 15, 2010, 1:40 PM

I'm all about gathering at the Paw in all venues, but acting like fools on camera when the player is trying to conduct an interview wasn't embracing. In fact, Booker was getting knocked around.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I certainly agree with the sentiment...I just wish that

Jan 15, 2010, 2:42 PM [ in reply to I certainly agree with the sentiment...I just wish that ]

Agree with Rev and your post. The clowns that were screaming and sticking their heads into the ESPN camera denied Booker a chance to speak to a national audience. That part of the celebration was marred by some real idiots.

Nice sentiment Rev, I'm just afraid when our players

Jan 15, 2010, 5:02 PM

get caught up in getting way too high after a win, it hurt's us in our next game.

I wish OP would hustle the players off the court doing high 5s along the way.

MP said we've lost 14 straight after beating a ranked opponent.

I love seeing the fans caught up in the over-celebrating just not the players.

Our players out celebrating on the court for 20 or 30 minutes can't help them in getting focused for tomorrow's game.

I'm for whatever helps us win more.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope you are wrong about this one

Jan 15, 2010, 5:05 PM

I also hope OP talks to the guys about that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me too.***

Jan 15, 2010, 5:06 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1,307
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic