Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The fallacy that is a South Carolina bowl team..........
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

The fallacy that is a South Carolina bowl team..........

Nov 9, 2004, 3:46 PM

So I had a day off work, and decided to really dig into the numbers and validate my feelings that South Carolina is a horrible team with a schedule that 95% of the country could be 6-3 with. These numbers show that if somehow they make it to the Peach, and get to play a FSU or Miami, it's going to be U-G-L-Y. It's absolute crap that they could end up in Atlanta with a 7-4 (IF they beat Florida) record while we are going to a lower tier bowl like Jacksonville, Charlotte, or Boise. Observe:

South Carolina has ONE win against a team with a winning record, Alabama. An Alabama team that threw a third string Spencer Pennington into the fire that night, a QB that was throwing more completions to Carolina DBs then Alabama WRs. An Alabama team that is 6-3 with wins over Utah State, Ole Miss, Western Carolina, Kentucky, Southern Miss, and Miss State. Alabama's quality wins: Southern Miss.

Other South Carolina wins include:

@ Vandy (a 2-7 team with wins over Mississippi State and Eastern Kentucky). Quality wins: None.

v. South Florida (a 3-4 team with wins over Tennessee Tech, TCU, and UAB). Quality Wins: UAB?

@ Kentucky (a 1-8 team with A win over Indiana, not to mention a loss to a 4-6 Ohio team). Quality Wins: None.

v. Troy (a 4-4 team with wins over Missouri, Utah State, Idaho, and Florida Atlantic). Quality Wins: Missouri.

v. Arkansas (a 3-5 team with wins over New Mexico State, La-Monroe, and Alabama). Quality Wins: Alabama.

As far as South Carolina losses are concerned, here's the gist:

Loss v. Georgia (a very good 8-1 team that USC, to their credit, always matches up well with.) Quality Wins: LSU, Florida

Loss v. Ole Miss (a 3-5 team with wins against Vandy, Ark State, and South Carolina). Quality Wins: South Carolina?

Loss v. Tenn (a 7-2 team with wins against UNLV, Florida, La Tech, UGA, Ole Miss, Bama, and South Carolina). Quality Wins: Florida, Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina?

So to recap, USC's wins have come against teams with a combined record of 19-31, with combined quality wins of UAB, Southern Miss, Missouri, and Alabama.

Their losses have come against teams with a combined record of 18-8.

Total opponent's record: 37-39

And for comparison's sake, here's a quick look at our schedule:

Wins against:

Wake Forest (a 4-4 team with wins against East Carolina, NC A&T, Boston College, and Duke). Quality Wins: Boston College.

Utah State (a 2-7 team with wins against Idaho and UNLV). Quality Wins: None.

Maryland (a 4-5 team with wins against Northern Illinois, Temple, Duke, and Florida State). Quality Wins: Northern Illinois, Florida State.

NC State (a 4-4 team with wins against Richmond, Virginia Tech, Wake, and Maryland). Quality Wins: Virginia Tech, Maryland.

Miami (a 6-2 team with wins against FSU, La Tech, Houston, Georgia Tech, Louisville, and NC State). Quality Wins: FSU, Ga Tech, Louisville, NC State.

Our wins have come against teams with a combined 20-22 record (18-11 if you omit a weak Utah State team). The quality wins those defeated teams have are: Boston College, Northern Illinois, Florida State (twice), Virginia Tech, Maryland, Georgia Tech, Louisville, and NC State.

Quickly, our losses have come against:

GT (5-3 with wins against Samford, Clemson, Maryland, Duke, and NC State). QWs: Clemson, Maryland, NC State.

TAMU (6-3 with wins against Wyoming, Clemson, Kansas State, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, and Colorado). QWs: Clemson, Kansas State, Oklahoma State.

Florida State (7-2 with wins against UAB, Clemson, UNC, Syracuse, Virginia, Wake, and Duke) QWs: UAB?, Clemson, UNC?, Syracuse?, and Virginia.

UVA (7-1 with wins against Temple, UNC, Akron, Syracuse, Clemson, Duke, and Maryland). QWs: UNC, Cuse, Clemson, and Maryland.

Total combined record of teams we lost against: 25-7 with Quality Wins against: Clemson (4 times), Maryland (twice), NC State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, UAB, UNC (twice), Syracuse (twice), and Virginia.

Total record of teams we've played against: 45-29.

There is no comparison. The ##### are giddy with a WEAK six win season against weak competition, and we, ultimately, are slightly disappointed with a 7 win season against the second toughest schedule in the nation. (Compared to the 8+ wins we thought were possible pre-season. Of course we are all RELIEVED, not happy, about a 7 win season after the disastrous start).

Like I said, how they can manage to get into a bowl like the Peach while we will have to settle for Jacksonville, Charlotte, or (gasp) Boise is beyond me. Hopefully this post will dispute their nonsensical babble with cold hard facts.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice analysis!***

Nov 9, 2004, 3:58 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The fallacy that is a South Carolina bowl team..........

Nov 9, 2004, 3:59 PM

I agree with you that we have played a tougher schedule than SC. IMO, the Miami win is an extremely high quality victory ON THE ROAD. But that is our only win over a team currently with a winning record. I think the wins over Wake, NC State, Md are quality wins as well but they don't have more wins than losses today. I would love to have do overs against every loss. Playing those teams now might result in a couple of wins.

Impressive work

Nov 9, 2004, 4:01 PM

I disagree that Maryland and NC State are quality wins, but I agree with the gist of your analysis.

We Gamecocks are "giddy" because of the frustration of the last 2 years. Those of us who believe that USC can beat Clemson know 2 things: (1) USC's offense is improved from last year and (2) Clemson's offense is worse than last year. However, Clemson seems to be getting things going at the right time.

The middle-to-low tier bowls are looking for one thing: $$$$$. That USC is being considered for the Peach is due to the Peach's concern that the other SEC teams vying for the spot won't travel like USC (USC fans want the bowl more than the SEC teams who are vying for the spot -- Fla and Ala will look at the Peach as a poor consolation for their proud programs). Clemson won't get the Peach b/c y'all were there last year.

And if USC is to get to the Peach, they have to beat Fla. in The Swamp (not an easy task for any team) or Clemsux, which would throw your anaylsis on its ear.

Frustration of the last 2 years? try 102.***

Nov 9, 2004, 4:11 PM

I wasn't frustrated with the Outbacl bowl years.***

Nov 9, 2004, 4:13 PM

Outback, that is***

Re: Outback, that is***

Nov 9, 2004, 4:19 PM

Sorry, it's just that when I hear the words "frustration"
and "SCU football" in the same sentence, I don't think two years.

bama is not overlooking any bowl considering their situation

Nov 9, 2004, 4:12 PM [ in reply to Impressive work ]

for the past few years. been down there for more then a few games last 2 years and there would be no shortage of fans for bama at the peach bowl if they went, even without a real qb.

So basically you have no life other than work

Nov 9, 2004, 4:04 PM

to dig that deep to discredit USC's 6-3 record?

Re: So basically you have no life other than work

Nov 9, 2004, 4:06 PM

no maybe he jsut had some free time today

z17

So, basically, you'll disagree with whatever a gamecock

Nov 9, 2004, 4:07 PM

fan might say.

Re: So, basically, you'll disagree with whatever a gamecock

Nov 9, 2004, 4:14 PM

You would be correct a hell of a lot more than you would be wrong!!

Discrediting SCU ain't hard.***

Nov 9, 2004, 4:08 PM [ in reply to Re: So basically you have no life other than work ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So Skoal.........

Nov 9, 2004, 4:09 PM [ in reply to So basically you have no life other than work ]

you have no life other than to hang around on Clemson boards all day? We are one in the same, pal. Consumed by football. The difference is the expectations we each have for our football teams.

You're right, but I am at work...

Nov 9, 2004, 4:24 PM

and have a computer right in front of me. I just stay on Tigernet to help my day go by faster. It's all in good fun. I actually stay over here more than FGF, it's more fun to talk to rivals!!

Don't worry, they don't go to the Peach Bowl. Lucky if

Nov 9, 2004, 4:11 PM

they get to the weedeater or whatever it is.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good Work

I live in Columbia and the Gamecock "noise" is extremely loud! I was watching the news last night and the local sportscasters carried on and on about SCAR bowl eligible. My wife and I looked at each other and laughed! BOWL "FREAKING" ELIGIBLE! Can you imagine Clemson, Florida State, Virginia, Miami, Georgia, Florida, LSU, and Auburn being as giddy about being bowl eligible? This is Carolina football!

I've had the "privilege" of watching these guys all year, and you are right. They are a fair to middling squad with a couple of good players, a handful of decent ones, and a flawed coaching staff. The last fact, they'll readily admit themselves. For some reason, however, they feel like their "talent" is on par with everybody that routinely beats them though. How do we say it here? Coot logic?

I see that you count NCSU, Maryland, and potentially

Nov 9, 2004, 4:53 PM

UNC as quality wins even though not one of them has a record of even .500. Only one (UNC) has a .500 record in the conference.

By the way... you don't get to take out USU. Unless you are also willing to take out one of your wins.

"Our wide receiver coach has accomplished just as much as your legend."

- The man of a million handles.

Re: I see that you count NCSU, Maryland, and potentially

Nov 9, 2004, 4:58 PM

Toogie, that's some selective reading you have there. First of all, you fail to notice my inclusion of UAB and Missouri into the "South Carolina Quality Wins" list. Secondly, Utah State IS one of our wins. You want to omit one of your weak wins? Sure. You have six to choose from, take your pick.

I'm merely suggesting that if you want to look at your

Nov 9, 2004, 5:34 PM

opponents combined records without USU go right ahead. But you also should take the win away in that case. The fact is that you did play USU cause they are on your schedule.

UAB at least has a winning record.***

Nov 9, 2004, 5:36 PM [ in reply to Re: I see that you count NCSU, Maryland, and potentially ]

Re: UAB at least has a winning record.***

Nov 9, 2004, 5:41 PM

5-3 with wins against Baylor, Miss State, Memphis, Cincinatti and TCU. Makes your schedule look tough by comparison.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic