Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Since we're talking about Michigan, Clemson connection on
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 2,541

Since we're talking about Michigan, Clemson connection on

Dec 17, 2007, 1:12 AM

one of their blogs. I've seen this before but I still think it is hilarious:

How to #### off a Buckeye

It's not easy being a Wolverine fan living behind enemy lines in Ohio. From what we've been told by those that live there, the abuse is constant.

Well, a couple of M Zone readers and M fans finally had enough. And they came up with a very funny and clever way to get back at their Buckeye brethren who surround them on a daily basis.

The guys contacted Eastbay, a large online athletic supply company, and had a couple of custom #58 Clemson jerseys made up with the name "BAUMAN" put on the back. As the guys said in their email to us: "It's a small moral victory but we do enjoy wearing these whenever we happen to be in Columbus for OSU home games. Yes, it's pretty childish but it makes us laugh. Especially when OSU fans recognize the name and jersey, and become very, very upset."

So who is Charlie Bauman and why would this #### off Buckeyes so much? Well, for those that don't already know...

Charlie Bauman was the Clemson football player who had the audacity to intercept Buckeye QB Art Schlichter's 3rd and 5 toss in the waning moments of '78 Gator Bowl. He then ran out of bounds in front of the Ohio State bench. Woody Hayes became enraged that somebody had the nerve to intercept one of his rare pass plays and decided national TV was a great place to slug Mr. Bauman. As a result, Ohio State fired Hayes the next day (and Hayes went to his grave never having apologized for "The Punch").

Needless to say, one can now understand why Tosu folks bristle at the sight of these jerseys.

Ah, the art of the subtle - but highly effective - taunt. I think I can speak for all the M Zone staff by saying, "Well done, gentlemen. Well done."

Full page:
http://michiganzone.blogspot.com/2006/04/how-to-piss-off-buckeye.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

You just have to appreciate the cleverness in that, as done

Dec 17, 2007, 6:18 AM

when my father came along. That was good!

Re: Since we're talking about Michigan, Clemson connection on

Dec 17, 2007, 7:17 AM

very well done Mich.! Have to love that entire idea.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I occasionally bring that up when the buckeye....

Dec 17, 2007, 7:59 AM

talk gets out of control. You'd be surprised how many buckeye fans have to have a recap of that event. Most of them say Woody was "taunted."

And now the real story...

Dec 17, 2007, 8:47 AM

Woody was a diabetic and wasn't monitoring his blood sugar level the day of the bowl game. The team doctor confirmed this after Woody died. Woody didn't want to make a big deal of it and didn't want to make excuses. He messed up. Those Michigan fans look like total tools. For it was Woody Hayes and that unfortunate incident that really put Clemson football on the map in 1978. And the rest they say is history...

That's got to be the lamest excuse for punching someone I

Dec 17, 2007, 9:23 AM

have ever heard. So If I have the great misfortune of getting Diabetes I can go around punching people and say, "oops, I forgot to monitor my blood sugar!" I've heard alot of discussion over THE PUNCH over the years but this is a new on on me.

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

To complete the picture - they should blacken one eye!***

Dec 17, 2007, 8:36 AM

Replies: 6
| visibility 2,541
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic