Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My open T-mail response?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,033

My open T-mail response?

Jul 30, 2007, 12:38 AM

Several posters have communicated their dissatisfaction with the thoughts posted today by myself. Instead of trying to answer each one with justification, clarification, or implication perhaps I can solve many of the issues with just one post.

First, the topic came about? God knows how? comparing fans who are alumni versus those who did not attend the school in question. Folks, fans are fans. There are some better than others, but a degree from the institution in question does not make one a ?better fan?.

However, this was not the primary issue I felt I needed to address. The post made here addressed an issue I thought worthy to comment on? and for the record, NEVER did the poster state that alumni are better fans. There?s some inference there that I?ll leave for him to discuss, but not once did he say that alumni were better fans. What he did state however was troubling to me. ?I have a better connection with the University than someone who never went there.?

I took issue with this statement and proceeded to use a few examples of people who ?never went there? to show that perhaps? non alumni can have a ?better connection with the University? than us fellow alumni.

In one of those posts, sarcastically I commented that Coach Bowden ?never went? to Clemson, therefore he must not have a ?better connection? than Clemson graduates. Some people took this as an attack on Coach Bowden, but that was not the intent. This board is usually filled with disgruntled fans, lurking rival fans, and ?hot seat? talk, and I apologize for even suggesting the board start that subject up again. But I never once suggested that the members of the main board are ?second class citizens?. Basically, here was my take on the main board several hours earlier.

Eventually, the argument blossomed into the alumni fan vs. the non-alumni fan which it should not have.

Of course in my opinion, anyone who wants to be a Tiger fan? IS a Tiger Fan; not all can choose to be an alumnus. But being connected with Clemson (to me) transcends a piece of paper conveying a degree. Clemson has always been greater than that to me? I have degrees from Clemson, UGA, University of North Carolina at Wilmington, and soon? another one from UGA. None of those campuses or universities has meant more to me than Clemson.

And that?s why Clemson is special.

I tried to convey my beliefs here but I feel I?ve fallen short.

You see, many of you questioned my loyalty to Clemson because I am not a member of IPTAY. Some of you questioned my stance because I have given ?nothing back? to the university that ?gave? me an education. And some of you wonder ?what kind of almnuts (sic) are you??

Let me try and alleviate some of the friction first. I?m a sorry fan. I catch a game here and there when I can, but I don?t live and breathe Clemson athletics. I can name 10 better fans than me in a heartbeat. And all of them are graduates of other institutions? but that?s not the argument, remember?

The original poster? ~ better fan than me.

I?m a casual observer, for several reasons that I won?t go into here.

But in order to answer the questions and demands asked of me? I?ve got nothing to hide.

I turned down scholarships to other schools to attend Clemson. I paid my way through Clemson, however at the time, the less stringent NCAA regs allowed me to receive a summer scholarship during my tenure. Basically I could attend summer session on scholarship which allowed me to graduate in three years.

During my tenure at Clemson, I achieved All ACC Academic Honor Roll and maintained a decent GPA. I didn?t play much, but in my 3 years I made every practice, every weight lifting session, and never once caused a problem for our team; and as I?ve admitted to numerous times? I was just a pack mule.

Never have I proclaimed myself anything but just a guy who was lucky enough to participate in practice. In fact, much of my tenure at Clemson was spent in awe of the guys I saw day in and day out. But if anyone wants to critique who I was and what I did? feel free. I am not anonymous.

For those of you questioning why I haven?t given back to Clemson, I guess you are looking for a monetary picture? and in that area I?m just not a good artist.

What I try to accomplish with my life is to be a good husband, a good father, a good son, and a good friend. But folks I?m as flawed Tara Reid?s #####. I?ll never intentionally post to the detriment of Clemson, the fans, the alumni, or people associated with Clemson? and when it?s appropriate, if people are the least bit impressed with me, I let them know that is the Clemson way.

The kicker in all this is that several Clemson faithful attacked each other in what amounted to a discussion over ?who?s blood is more orange?? Or was it ?who knows Clemson better??

I?d prefer all of us Clemson folk to remain united. Whether it?s a parchment proclaiming satisfaction of a degree or a weather beaten, wind shredded car flag showing the Tiger Paw? I?d like to think we all have a connection to Clemson.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#58 was a famous number

Jul 30, 2007, 1:31 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You' think that most people could get his postion right.

Jul 30, 2007, 1:37 AM

ESPN continuously refers to him as a Linebacker as do many other publications...

Mr. Bauman was a Nose Guard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEVJyf0ft3I

Great post, COBB. Thanks.

Jul 30, 2007, 6:21 AM

BTW, I got your message pretty much from the git go. I think you made your points clearly nearly every step of the way from the first post to this one.

I told you once, I'll tell you again: There aren't many jobs in the world more important than what you do as a high school teacher. No one ever forgets a great high school teacher. No one ever forgets a great high school coach. The work you do is more important than being a Clemson fan and it serves Clemson more than the ability to write the big donor check. Thanks.

Harley

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My open T-mail response?

Jul 30, 2007, 8:00 AM

Joe, I agree with you. I realize that I was blessed to be able to graduate from Clemson. That doesn't make me a better fan than my friends that weren't able to go, just blessed. Go Tigers!

I'm with you on that one, but I do feel for those who

Jul 30, 2007, 8:29 AM

will never get to walk around campus on a fall Saturday, looking for their brick in the sidewalk, remembering the place they met their lifelong best friends, (for some of us) revisiting the place they asked their spouse to be their lifelong mate, walking past one hall or another and chuckling b/c you don't know how you made it out of that class with a passing grade...

Sigh, when is Labor Day gonna get here?

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,033
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic